ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
BitesTheDust OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BitesTheDust's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: South Delta, BC
Oddometer: 175
Need Help - Killed my Garmin Nuvi 550 during system update

Fellow inmates,

I'm hoping that the collective wisdom here can help me resurrect my sad, dead Nuvi 550 .

While updating its system software, I inadvertently powered it off during mid cycle (don't ask what on earth I was thinking at the time ) and killed it. It wont power back up; removing the battery does nada etc. And yes - the battery is fully charged.

I am sure these units have a way to boot up the firmware through some diagnostic window by pressing the power button with some other screen touch combination - any ideas what that might be for the Nuvi 550?

Much appreciated.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
BitesTheDust OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BitesTheDust's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: South Delta, BC
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitesTheDust View Post
Fellow inmates,

I'm hoping that the collective wisdom here can help me resurrect my sad, dead Nuvi 550 .

While updating its system software, I inadvertently powered it off during mid cycle (don't ask what on earth I was thinking at the time ) and killed it. It wont power back up; removing the battery does nada etc. And yes - the battery is fully charged.

I am sure these units have a way to boot up the firmware through some diagnostic window by pressing the power button with some other screen touch combination - any ideas what that might be for the Nuvi 550?

Much appreciated.
Update -

Unit was declared bricked by Garmin. Oh well - an excuse to purchase a new one

If anyone is interested, according to Garmin - connecting the unit to a computer (usb) and then holding the power button for 15 to 20 seconds should reset the device.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bakersfield CA & Sammamish WA
Oddometer: 1,358
Thats not a bad GPS if you are not wanting to load tracks, if you were happy with it I would check with Garmin on the cost of their flat rate "repair" which always ends up being a "refurbished" replacement that looks brand new.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
BitesTheDust OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BitesTheDust's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: South Delta, BC
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Thats not a bad GPS if you are not wanting to load tracks, if you were happy with it I would check with Garmin on the cost of their flat rate "repair" which always ends up being a "refurbished" replacement that looks brand new.

Bruce
I picked up a new one (same model) from gpscity.ca for $200. Should receive it tomorrow through fedex. It'll have an updated map on it - so I'm cool with it.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitesTheDust View Post
I picked up a new one (same model) from gpscity.ca for $200. Should receive it tomorrow through fedex. It'll have an updated map on it - so I'm cool with it.
Trade in for a reconditioned unit is $99. With 90 day warranty.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014