ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
BitesTheDust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Need Help - Killed my Garmin Nuvi 550 during system update

Fellow inmates,

I'm hoping that the collective wisdom here can help me resurrect my sad, dead Nuvi 550 .

While updating its system software, I inadvertently powered it off during mid cycle (don't ask what on earth I was thinking at the time ) and killed it. It wont power back up; removing the battery does nada etc. And yes - the battery is fully charged.

I am sure these units have a way to boot up the firmware through some diagnostic window by pressing the power button with some other screen touch combination - any ideas what that might be for the Nuvi 550?

Much appreciated.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
BitesTheDust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitesTheDust View Post
Fellow inmates,

I'm hoping that the collective wisdom here can help me resurrect my sad, dead Nuvi 550 .

While updating its system software, I inadvertently powered it off during mid cycle (don't ask what on earth I was thinking at the time ) and killed it. It wont power back up; removing the battery does nada etc. And yes - the battery is fully charged.

I am sure these units have a way to boot up the firmware through some diagnostic window by pressing the power button with some other screen touch combination - any ideas what that might be for the Nuvi 550?

Much appreciated.
Update -

Unit was declared bricked by Garmin. Oh well - an excuse to purchase a new one

If anyone is interested, according to Garmin - connecting the unit to a computer (usb) and then holding the power button for 15 to 20 seconds should reset the device.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Thats not a bad GPS if you are not wanting to load tracks, if you were happy with it I would check with Garmin on the cost of their flat rate "repair" which always ends up being a "refurbished" replacement that looks brand new.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
BitesTheDust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Thats not a bad GPS if you are not wanting to load tracks, if you were happy with it I would check with Garmin on the cost of their flat rate "repair" which always ends up being a "refurbished" replacement that looks brand new.

Bruce
I picked up a new one (same model) from gpscity.ca for $200. Should receive it tomorrow through fedex. It'll have an updated map on it - so I'm cool with it.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitesTheDust View Post
I picked up a new one (same model) from gpscity.ca for $200. Should receive it tomorrow through fedex. It'll have an updated map on it - so I'm cool with it.
Trade in for a reconditioned unit is $99. With 90 day warranty.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote