Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Draw Maps and Transfer to GPS

I have a Garmin 60csx and I am looking for the simplest way to transfer maps I draw on Google maps and also Google maps directions to it. For example we are going on a camping trip this weekend and want to take a bunch of roads along the lake shore. These roads don't show up in Mapsource which blows me away that a GPS mapping software doesn't include all roads. So I got directions in Google maps and adjusted the directions to my liking. Now I just want to put them in my GPS and follow the route but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

What is the easiest way to do this?

The last time I got it to work I had to use about 4 different programs and then while it transferred to my GPS and showed the route on the map it wouldn't give me turn by turn so I used my GPS as a $200 clock on a 3000 mile trip.
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Download your route as a KML file (save to My Maps in Google Maps), use GPS Visualizer to convert to a GPX track. Load that track into BaseCamp, modify as needed and then send to your GPS.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

That does convert it and makes it so I can see it is mapsource but it transfers it as waypoints to the GPS, I would like it to be a route so it will give me the turn by turn navigation.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

No can do that I'm aware of with Google Maps... if there are no roads for this route in your maps in MapSource, you cannot create a route.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

Yeah, that is what I am figuring out. Its too bad that mapsource can't add all the roads instead of just the major ones. I just want to take simple county roads and none of them show up.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate gonzo View Post
Yeah, that is what I am figuring out. Its too bad that mapsource can't add all the roads instead of just the major ones. I just want to take simple county roads and none of them show up.
Are you using City Navigator, TOPO, OpenStreetMap, or something else? The built-in basemap isn't going to show any useful detail. Lots of free maps available for download...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
These roads don't show up in Mapsource which blows me away that a GPS mapping software doesn't include all roads.

The last time I got it to work I had to use about 4 different programs and then while it transferred to my GPS and showed the route on the map it wouldn't give me turn by turn so I used my GPS as a $200 clock on a 3000 mile trip.
Mapsource is an application not "mapping software", what ever that is. You use it to talk to your GPS and to edit files of tracks, routes, & waypoints.

You can install many different "Map sets" (mentioned above) on both your PC and in your GPS.

Your GPS will only give turn by turn instructions if you have "Navagatable Maps" loaded.

Sounds like you are using remote dirt roads or trails. If so, use Tracks not Routes, you don't need turn by turn instructions to follow trails.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

I am using Mapsource with City Navigator. Not sure which version of City Navigator but it is with in the past year. The roads I am trying to use are just simple county roads that ride along Lake Michigan and they don't show up on the map.

For an example that I can remember off the top of my head, there is a county road in Rockbridge WI County Highway D that I can see with no problem on Google Maps. I wanted to map it on my GPS to take it to La Crosse but I couldn't see it on Mapsource with City Navigator. Does Garmin offer software that shows County Roads? I would buy it in a heart beat if there was such a thing.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am using Mapsource with City Navigator. Not sure which version of City Navigator but it is with in the past year. The roads I am trying to use are just simple county roads that ride along Lake Michigan and they don't show up on the map.

For an example that I can remember off the top of my head, there is a county road in Rockbridge WI County Highway D that I can see with no problem on Google Maps. I wanted to map it on my GPS to take it to La Crosse but I couldn't see it on Mapsource with City Navigator. Does Garmin offer software that shows County Roads? I would buy it in a heart beat if there was such a thing.
You probably want Garmin TOPO 24k or see what's available for free from GPSFileDepot.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Does Garmin offer software that shows County Roads? I would buy it in a heart beat if there was such a thing.
Are you talking PC or GPS or both? You did install City Nav on PC and download to GPS?

If is is really a County road it is on City Nav. Most forest service roads are on it also but not trails.

Do you have City Nav selected as the Map in menu bar at top of PC?

Do you have City Nav selected in GPS?

Do you have Detail at "Highest"?

With City Nav you have to zoom in to 0.8 to see everything. With Roads & Rec, you see it all at 2.0.

I see CR-D going west out of Rockbridge going to Woodstock just fine at 1.0 zoom and in.

Countdown screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 10:31 AM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
+1 for Google maps and other such apps on a smartphone. I seldom touch my Garmin any more. I never like the Mapsource interface anyway.

As stated, you are NOT going to get turn by turn instructions if a routable maps can't also be loaded on the device.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
pirate gonzo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Are you talking PC or GPS or both? You did install City Nav on PC and download to GPS?

If is is really a County road it is on City Nav. Most forest service roads are on it also but not trails.

Do you have City Nav selected as the Map in menu bar at top of PC?

Do you have City Nav selected in GPS?

Do you have Detail at "Highest"?

With City Nav you have to zoom in to 0.8 to see everything. With Roads & Rec, you see it all at 2.0.

I see CR-D going west out of Rockbridge going to Woodstock just fine at 1.0 zoom and in.
I am talking on my PC.
I will check all my settings as you have pointed out when I get a chance. Thanks, I will let you know if your suggestions work.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Fine with me too....Mapsource at 0.5 mi..following CR-d going west after Rockbridge...

Google Earth

cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
OSM Maps show it as well.
daryl

dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
I occasionally find that I want to create a track for a road that does not exist in either Garmin Topo or CN. I generally find these roads in Benchmark map books or Google Earth or some other source.

What I do is draw a route using Mapsource/Topos (which doesn't care if there is a road there or not) where I think the road is and then I look at the result in Google Earth. I then iterate the points in the route back and forth between Mapsource and GE to get them close enough to the road I want. I convert the route to a track when I'm done using WinGDB3.

This is obviously tedious, but I have gotten pretty good at it. And usually only need it for short segments.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote