User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Pozer Counts Death Valley Ride 3/14

Haven't been riding much since my last report but I did sign up for some very interesting rides coming up in spring and summer.
To start off with in March is Count's Death Valley Adventure. I think I'll visit Bishop on my way down there for a little pre ride balance practice. Anyway, its a two day ride from Ridgecrest to Beaty and back. Its very much worth doing especially if you hadn't had a chance to visit Death Valley before. I hadn't seen this southern section so I was very interested.
After that it looks like I'm off to Baja for the 7 Days of Baja with the Malcolm Smith crew in April. More on that later; but yes it was Epic.
Then a small break and regroup to get ready for Count's first leg of the Mexico to Canada Adventure in early May.(In a couple of weeks still).
Then another little break and an Alaskan Cruise with the wife; then I'll be gearing up again for Count's 2nd leg to Canada. I intend to extend this ride solo quite a bit so with a little luck everything will come together as planned (but that rarely happens). Hope you enjoy the show.....
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok OK as you can tell I haven't been posting reports lately and I momentarily forgot how to post a picture but I think I got this thing sorted out so let me continue.....

So The plan was to leave my house (near Tahoe) a couple days early to avoid a snow storm coming through and to stop in Bishop on 395 to scout around and get familiar with the area. Turns out its a big area.

As my luck goes I just happen to be talking to the young lady at the motel during check in and she tells me where the local motorcycle shop is and that I should visit them for a free map of the riding areas.

I take her advise and acquire 2 great maps of the entire valley; much easier to read than what I brought with me.

I really wanted to check out Black Canyon just east of there but the guy at the shop told me there would be too much snow and that he wouldn't go up there yet......

So I headed south west into the surrounding hills to explore and take a few pictures of the countryside.

pozer screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 03:30 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As you can tell there is a whole lot of snow to the west too. Its not very deep but its no fun on a motorcycle. So I do what I can and take in the scenery.

Pretty soon the snow has me looking for more..... and before you know it I'm heading southeast looking for the Black canyon Rd.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It takes a little bit of backtracking and valley crossing but eventually I find what I'm looking for.

And it gets more and more narrow as it goes up in elevation.

The road heads east before turning north; as I reach the highest points of the road snow is covering most everything.

There are no other tracks in the snow so I know I need to be careful and not go so far that I can't turn around and get out of what I'm getting into. (so much for that).

pozer screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 03:54 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I find my way to what looks like the top but by now the road has turned into a single track trail. I'm having too much fun exploring so I press forward. Up and over and now its all down hill from here. Only problem is there is way more snow on the western slopes to make it possible to backtrack.
Loosing track of the trail under the snow doesn't help much. I figure if I can just continue downhill eventually I'll reach the snow line and relocate the trail from there.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And there it is; just my luck. Looks like its going to be a good day after all.

Or so I thought till this happened. Good thing I carry a spare clutch cable.
Only thing is; changing a clutch cable on this bike take a few minutes so I get busy so I can get on with the ride. (I was glad this happened now rather than in Death Valley).

As I make my way down from my adventure I'm directed onto a rather narrow single track trail. This Husky I'm on really wasn't designed for this but I take it slow and easy and eventually I'm back on another shelf mine road heading back to town.

See the trail out in the distance ? That's where I'm headed.

pozer screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 10:11 AM
Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 AM   #7
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
You're romping around my old stomping grounds - I grew up 15 miles south of Bishop in Big Pine. Absolutely LOVED that area, and you could spend a long, LONG time exploring all of the dirt roads, trails, & tracks and still not find them all.

Keep it up! And keep sharing the pics!
acidman1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidman1968 View Post
You're romping around my old stomping grounds - I grew up 15 miles south of Bishop in Big Pine. Absolutely LOVED that area, and you could spend a long, LONG time exploring all of the dirt roads, trails, & tracks and still not find them all.

Keep it up! And keep sharing the pics!
YES! There is a huge loop on the western side of Bishop marked out on the map I had that I intended to explore but the snow made that route impassable. I'll definitely need to get back there and spend a couple of days dedicated to that whole area. The views are spectacular.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This trail eventually did lead to a road that eventually made its way over to Redding Canyon Rd. From there it drops you right back into Bishop. Just in time for dinner and a movie at the local Cinema.
The next day I had just enough time for a half day ride out of Big Pine; exploring the backroads south to Independence. From there I thought I could go east up into the hills and loop around but as I found out the road I was on came to a closed gate at the very top near some mining camp. Just as well since I needed to be in Ridgecrest by evening to sign in and prepare for the Death Valley ride.

And this is where I stopped for a snack.

After this shot I was on my way back to Big Pine to load up and head on down 395 to Ridgecrest.....
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The following day getting started; leaving east of Ridgecrest on our way to Beatty. This GPS thing is all new to me so there is a bit of a learning curve.

Up and over the first set of hills brings a little surprise. Seems the BLM rangers in the area want to welcome us by stopping us and making sure we're all legal.
Just so happens that I'm riding solo through this area, about ten minutes behind a small group of riders.
Just as the rangers give the group the go ahead and they climb back in their SUV's I come meandering by all by myself. I wave as I go by and all is good.

I really enjoy Death Valley; It's so expansive and desolate.

Had to make a stop here to see how rough the settlers had it. (VERY ROUGH!).

Shortly after that a rider went down about 30 seconds before I went by. He's still picking himself up as his fellow ridding partners come to his rescue.

Then we come to another little mining homestead. Long been abandoned but very well refurbished.

I had to take a quick look inside.

Tough living but great view.

This is the view leaving the homestead.

And this is the view looking back on the homestead from the opposite side of the valley.

A few more canyons...

And a few more valleys...

And the motel is a welcome sight.

To be continued...

pozer screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 02:33 PM
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
slowmotion2014
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
That was a great ride. Not to many places near here to go. Looks like I need to head down south for a weekend.
slowmotion2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmotion2014 View Post
That was a great ride. Not to many places near here to go. Looks like I need to head down south for a weekend.
All ya gotta do is sign up and show up. Its all good after that.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozer View Post

I haven't seen an EZ clutch in years. I had one on my last KX 500, in 1987.

I/we did the counts DV ride a few years ago. I been wanting to explore more of DV since then. I will someday.

Cool RR, nice pictures.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Today, 02:23 PM #10
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236

The following day getting started; leaving east of Ridgecrest on our way to Beatty. This GPS thing is all new to me so there is a bit of a learning curve.

Up and over the first set of hills brings a little surprise. Seems the BLM rangers in the area want to welcome us by stopping us and making sure we're all legal.
Just so happens that I'm riding solo through this area, about ten minutes behind a small group of riders.
Just as the rangers give the group the go ahead and they climb back in their SUV's I come meandering by all by myself. I wave as I go by and all is good.

Shortly after that a rider went down about 30 seconds before I went by. He's still picking himself up as his fellow ridding partners come to his rescue.

Geologist cabin at striped butte?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Today, 02:23 PM #10
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236

Geologist cabin at striped butte?

Good call; I had to look that up on GOOGLE but that looks like it. Thanks.