User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #31
Ivanhoe-2001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
loaded

I made the trip last July. I did the same thing you did, took too much stuff. My wife met me in Anchorage and she brought back a large bag on the plane. I was riding a DL 650 and the trip home was much better without all the extra weight and bulk. I experienced the same concerns about something going wrong with the bike. Decided the best thing to do was turn up the music. The DL never missed a lick! I am in keep it coming. ic

/https://login.findmespot.com/spot-main-web/locations/history.html
Ivanhoe-2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #32
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hey Joe,

I hope the weather continued to improve as you all headed north. Glad you managed to get away instead of sitting around waiting for the weather to change! I usually try to get a few pictures of all our guests, but the weather wasn't really cooperating, so all I managed was this shot while you were re-organizing your gear on the DR.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, and you're certainly welcome to stop by on your way south if your route takes you through PG again. Be safe and keep the pics coming!

Kelly
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #33
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Hey all, laying in bed at Liard Hot Springs listening to the generator and the rain.

We ended up making it to Hyder at about 9:30 Saturday night. Left Prince George about 12:30 after Phil got a new rear tire mounted. He only had 800 miles on the Heidenau (sp?) but it was defecting and wobbling and scalping.

Got to say that all the roads have been great but when we rounded the corner and headed up the Cassier it got even better! Most of the Cassier we ran 70-75, except to slow down and look at bears.

The road into Stewart/Hyder was unbelievable with snow covered peaks. They had record snows this year and avalanches did their damage. Lots of trees were flattened and a concrete bridge was destroyed.

Hyder is an interested town. Surrounded by Canada, there is customs just to enter and leave town, and a dead end it is. If you've never been there, you missed it because the streets (both of them), are being paved this year for the first time. You know it,s a drinking town when the town dog is named Hops!

Left Hyder Sunday morning and blasted up to Dease Lake hoping to go down into Telegraph Creek that night. The report from the rider on a Super Tenere was bad. Pouring rain and deep mud made us think better of it. Especially since one of the KTM's was running with no electric. The main power connector melted so we jumped it and he can only run with no headlights and no heated gear, just enough current flow to spark and keep the battery charged.

We bush camped next to a creek north of Dease Sunday night. Looking over the bike, I found that me exhaust can bolt went bye-bye but we had a spare to bolt it back on. I must say I'm pretty happy with the DR, no comfort issues and it keeps up with the KTM 950's!

Well it's midnight (still some light out) so better call it a day. More to come.
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #34
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,855
Joe, are you riding in a group now? Who is "Phil"?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
Airhead Steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Joe,
I just want you to know that all of us back in Minneapolis are cheering you on and enjoying your adventure vicariously.
We were even talking about your report at the BMWMOCM Board of Directors meeting tonight. The general idea was "Go Joe!"
Diane and I hope you are having a great time. Try to post some more photos and at the Rally, have a beer for me!

Airhead Steve
Airhead Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
A few days late on this one. But dang, I love the Alaskan ride reports. Thanks for bringing us along!

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This was at midnight from the Midnight Dome over Dawson City YT. Big party up there to celebrate the solstice. The sun finally dipped below the horizon about 12:40.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #38
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
Cool sunset/sunrise

Be safe.

JimL
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #39
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Very cool shot, Joe. More pics, please!!!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #40
akadvntr
Frozen

Oddometer: 220
Fantastic shot from the Dome! Can't believe I had to miss D2D this year

2008 KLR650 sold 1-4-14
2012 VStrom DL1000
akadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #41
ST1100nut
The Fugitive

Oddometer: 29
Off to Alaska

Joevano,
So far your pics are great! Can you share what your are using and are you using software to enhance them?
ST1100nut
ST1100nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #42
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm back to civilization and WiFi so will do a little catch up. Finally found Photosync and it's working to upload about 800 pics to Smugmug but will take a few hours.

Leaving Dawson, we took the Top Of The World Hwy to Tok. Amazing road with almost no traffic, and no trucks at all as far as Chicken AK. These northcountry road crews are awesome! To be able to ride 60-70 or more on gravel is a testiment to their work.

I decided in Tok that it was time to split out on my own again. I found riding with a group was affecting my trip a bit. Only in terms of stopping to take pics and sightsee, nothing bad but wanted to be independant again.

That day I stopped in Fairbanks at Adventure Cycleworks for a new rear tire before heading up to Deadhorse. Believe it or not, they talked me out of buying a tire until I came back through!! They are an awesome father/son team working out of their garage. Stock lots of tires, oil (even BMW oil) and other stuff. The work 24/7 May through September. Worth stopping if only to BS (no Harleys please;).

From there i headed north and at about 9:30 (548 miles for the day) ended up getting a room at thr Yukon River Camp. It's a series of trailers put together, nothing fancy but real nice people. My waitress in the morning was a college proffessor from Boston looking for an adventure during summer break. She was getting it.

Sunday morning headed up to the Arctic Circle (yea I can turn around now?) Waited there about 20 minutes so i could have someone take my pic but nobody did so just the bike and sign was all I got.

Original intent was to go all the way to Deadhorse but i was tired and a bit concerned about my rear tire so I mde it to Galbraith Lake just a bit passed Atigan Pass. When people tell you that Atigan pass is really really really worth the ride... They are right! Awesome mountains and vistas and well worth it. Past there it flattens out and the road was large rock gravel I was getting sick of so headed back to Coldfoot to camp at Marion Creek.

Cmped there on a wooden platform to get tents off the ground and that was nice. Lots of moose droppings in the campground but did not see one.

I guess I was really taking it easy up the Dalton cause when I filled up found i got 60 MPG, my highest yet! If I rode like that all the time I would have gotten a lot more than 5,300 miles on my rear tire.

Monday night brought me to Manley Hot Springs. A charming but a bit spookey little town 80 miles down a dead end road. Jane looked it up and tells me it is the farthest west you can drive to in America. Used the private hotsprings and camped down by the river.

The Hot springs are really cool. You call Gladys from the bar and make a reservation for an hour. Show up, put your $5 in the slot on top of the wooden box, and enjoy! She has four different pools, I felt like Goldilocks checking them all for the right temp. Grape vines with bunches of grapes hang over the tubs in this plastic covered greenhouse building. Looks goofy on the outside but really cool inside.

Yesterday (don't know what day it is) I got bank to Fairbanks, got my my new tire mounted. The only charged my $35 to mount including removal rom the bike. Saved me a lot of trouble and was soon on my way. Crashed last night at the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus dorms. For $57 I got a whole floor to myself, showe, nd free laundry. Can't beat that! Best to call ahead and make a reservation, I was lucky to get a room.

This morning, Wednesday I'm told, I decided to stay as I'm really beat. Ened up sleeping till about 2:00. Went out to breakfast and met a new friend from Maple Grove, about 20 miles from my house! Turns out he is a fellow member of BMWMOCM but has not attended any meetings so we had to meet 3,030 miles from home!

My back has been complaining since I dropped the bike while changing oil in Dawson so I found a good massage gal and hopefully got fixed up. She had lots of stories of working on fishing boats, driving truck up the haul road, and others. Daggy you're right about the stories!

Anyway, I'm heading to Homer tomorrow and will see what adventures lie along the way.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #43
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Phot upload failed after 129 pics but at least some were added.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #44
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100nut View Post
Joevano,
So far your pics are great! Can you share what your are using and are you using software to enhance them?
ST1100nut
Pics are taken with a Sony DSC-H90 and are not enhanced.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #45
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mechanically things have been great, till now. I'm currently broke down in Destruction Bay YT. Broken rear wheel bearing. They have the bearings in Whitehorse so trying to hitch a ride with the bike to there. Fun fun fun!

Joevano screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 03:24 PM