Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Once you guys see the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and the Durango, Silverton, Ouray area the disappointment of missing Roswell will fade away. If you spend an extra day and a half going to visit aliens you'll really regret that you don't have that time to spend in the more scenic areas. Mountains and canyons win over hot and flat every time in my book.

Suck it up Eddie - give the lady what she wants - you'll be glad you did once you get to the "good stuff".
Solaros1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #17
Barlucci
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I live in Albuquerque, and have to agree, SKIP ROSWELL!
there is SO much more to see while passing through New Mexico.If your coming in on I-40, just before you get to Albuquerque, if your not stopping here, head north just before you go through the mountain pass. turn north on 14 in Tejeres, and that will take you up to Santa Fe. When your done there, I highly recommend riding the "High road" to Taos, then taking 64 west to Tierra Amarilla, and Tres Piedres, then north to Chama, and on up to Pagosa Springs.
Lots of beautiful country, and great curvy roads. ;)
Your a welcome to PM me if you want some more suggestions as to routes...

Bart
Barlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Not sure what time of year, sounds like this summer?
It's f'n hot down in the desert this time of year. I have been exlporing the four corners region for the last twenty years and try not to spend any of my free time in the desert in the summer. Probably ok if you are hoteling it and you take lots of water.
I would suggest more time in the hills. Just my $.02.

we leave 2 weeks from today!!!!

summer heat + desert = misery.....Another good reason to avoid Roswell....thanks Dadodirt!

Vixen screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 06:31 AM
Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1 View Post
Once you guys see the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and the Durango, Silverton, Ouray area the disappointment of missing Roswell will fade away. If you spend an extra day and a half going to visit aliens you'll really regret that you don't have that time to spend in the more scenic areas. Mountains and canyons win over hot and flat every time in my book.

Suck it up Eddie - give the lady what she wants - you'll be glad you did once you get to the "good stuff".

I like the way you think Jack.
Still want to have dinner before we go....so you can repeat these words of wisdom to Eddie
Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlucci View Post
I live in Albuquerque, and have to agree, SKIP ROSWELL!
there is SO much more to see while passing through New Mexico.If your coming in on I-40, just before you get to Albuquerque, if your not stopping here, head north just before you go through the mountain pass. turn north on 14 in Tejeres, and that will take you up to Santa Fe. When your done there, I highly recommend riding the "High road" to Taos, then taking 64 west to Tierra Amarilla, and Tres Piedres, then north to Chama, and on up to Pagosa Springs.
Lots of beautiful country, and great curvy roads. ;)
Your a welcome to PM me if you want some more suggestions as to routes...

Bart
thanks Bart! I've been eyeing that road to Taos. Will pm you for more ideas and maybe some good food stops along the way if you know of any
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #21
Rider John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Having been to Roswell and the museum I must say my wife and I very much enjoyed the area, however...considering the other areas you all plan to explore I would recommend Roswell for another trip when you would not be so rushed. If you try to do all of those areas during a nine day period you will drive right by some beautiful areas that you will always regret missing and if/when you go back to pick up the missed areas for some unknown reason the trip won't seem so special. Save Roswell for another trip and plan around that area to see even more of this beautiful country. What ever you decide have a great time and please keep us posted.
Rider John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
trailNtent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I also live in Albuquerque, skip Roswell. The terrain is flat and the roads are straight. Save it for another trip, and hit up Carlsbad Caverns when you're in that pat of the state.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
trailNtent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
mga60tw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I too say skip Roswell, was there last year and nothing to see except the McDonalds made up like a flying saucer.

One thing nobody mentioned yet is Mesa Verde. The wife and I loved this place, it is really something.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
I too say skip Roswell, was there last year and nothing to see except the McDonalds made up like a flying saucer.
Nothing to see if that's what you're looking for. As I pointed out earlier, the Robert Goddard museum is a fantastic history lesson and contains an impressive art collection.

No wonder I was practically the only one there.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You guys are awesome! The ADV community has such a wealth of knowledge and it's so wonderful that everyone is willing to share their opinions and experiences. Thanks so much everyone!

I'm hoping all this input may finally have Eddie convinced to save Roswell for another trip, maybe he'll chime in again. One of the many many many great qualities that I love about him is that he's not too macho man to admit defeat, makes him even more manly in my book

The excitement is steadily building and all I can think is "we're not ready, we're not ready!". This isn't our first (longer than a weekend) motorcycle trip, but there's always a certain amount of anxiety that comes across me as we're preparing to leave.....all the way up until it's kickstands up and we're pulling out of the driveway. I'm constantly going over my mental checklist.....camera, check....chargers, check.....bug spray, check....the list is endless. Having two bikes with side cases, top cases and tank bags is great, neither of us ever feel over loaded or that we need more packing space. Studying maps and places to see (like mesa verde and antelope canyon, thanks ADVer's (and Jack )) is the exciting part. It usually takes less than 50 miles or long enough to get out of traffic for that anxiety to start waning, and a day or two for us to settle into a rhythm and begin enjoying and taking in the experience.

For this trip we've upgraded to a fancier camera and a new tent. Camping chairs, a jet boil, a pot/pan, cutting board. We're getting better at this, partially from our own experiences and partially from reading others (Dr. Rock & LDF, Radioman, iDave and many others all have my sincerest respect and admiration).

I'm sure Eddie and I will together share our experience in a ride report. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to pack the laptop and post in real time....I know what an effort this will take but we are planning to stop and set up camp earlier than we usually do if for no other reason than to be still in the new environments that we'll be travelling in....breath it all in, ingrain it in our minds, live in the moment.

Whew...breath breath breath. Can you all sense my anxiousness???
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
trailNtent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Nothing to see if that's what you're looking for. As I pointed out earlier, the Robert Goddard museum is a fantastic history lesson and contains an impressive art collection.

No wonder I was practically the only one there.

Jamie
Didn't mean to imply there's nothing of value there. It's just a big detour for what it is.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
trailNtent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #27
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,027
If you skip Roswell this is what you'll be missing.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
Vixen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
If you skip Roswell this is what you'll be missing.

thanks for the vid....pretty boring and THAT should seal the deal

You rock Kurt!

oh Eddieeeeeeeeee...........................
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
I went to Roswell just for kicks, I had plenty of time. UFO museum is kind of a joke, town is pretty blah. I would not bother on a limited schedule. Santa Fe seemed nice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
Nancy, I hope you and Eddie have a good safe trip!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote