Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #106
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The only good thing that could come of this is if it fucks them over just enough so tickets for Bruins games are cheap again.
They aren't that bad. Around $100 face face value. Better then Toronto.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #107
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
There was an interesting article in the Montreal Gazette today by well known columnist Jack Todd. Sorry, I couldn't link it.

Anyhow, after wading through Jack's usual tirade ( interesting to note that Jack is an ex-pat American ) his recommendation is that fan's need to boycott the game for a year, maybe two. I agree completely and I love the game and have been a fan for many years. We've got to send the message that the NHL needs the fans more than the fan's need the NHL. The sooner they get it the better.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #108
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues View Post
his recommendation is that fan's need to boycott the game for a year, maybe two. I agree completely and I love the game and have been a fan for many years. We've got to send the message that the NHL needs the fans more than the fan's need the NHL. The sooner they get it the better.
Fans have been 'boycotting' the NHL in some markets since the teams were relocated to or expanded there.

The NHL's position has been there will be no comprehensive revenue sharing, no relocation back to QC or the GTA. Look at some of the bottom end teams, they're barely clearing the salary floor, guys playing over their heads on top forward lines or defensive pairings.

I'd argue that North America is about two teams short of the top-end talent required to have competitive balance. That's 50 players, or two talentless fourth-line hacks from every team. If the owners want to get their revenue sorted, they should drop two teams, move another two back north, and maximize traditional markets. Bettman's strategy has proven that growth is not the answer, but he doesn't have the balls to admit it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #109
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

I would post my relocation plan, but I don't want to be hunted down by certain fans
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #110
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
I would post my relocation plan, but I don't want to be hunted down by certain fans
Will you feel better if I start?

Phoenix -> Seattle
Florida -> QC

Drop Atlanta
Drop Islanders
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #111
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

Phoenix -> Seattle
Florida -> QC

Drop Atlanta
Drop Islanders
Oh god here I go again. I was almost hunted down and killed over this on bleacher report.

Like you, I would move Phoenix to Seattle. Seattle has a long hockey history and they are the first US team to ever win the Stanley cup. They also are in the final stages of building a new massive arena.

I would move Columbus to Oklahoma city. They have shown they can support a sports team, and they deserve a crack at having more.

I would move either Tampa Bay or the Panthers to QC. This doesn't need any explanation.

I would move the other FL team to Hamilton or Saskatoon. Spare me the, there is already a Toronto team BS. Everyone knows Toronto can support two teams. Hamilton would be my preferred pick out of those two.

And now for the one everyone freak out about. Move the Devils to Baltimore. I know it seems crazy right. Let us start with the benefits to Baltimore. 1. It had the highest viewer ratings for a city that doesn't have a hockey team, durring game 7 of the 2011 cup finals. In fact it beat out 9 cities that do have teams. 2. Baltimore already has established some of the best rivalries in sports. For example, NYC, Boston, DC, and Pittsburgh. 3. They are trying to build a new arena in the inner harbor.

So why should a team that has won 3 cups and 5 conference championships in 20 years leave? Well thats just it. They have done all of that in 20 years and still can't sell tickets. NJ was a poor choice to begin with. Most NJ residents already have established sports teams because they aren't from NJ. NJ is a commuter state. The Rangers and Flyers were already established in NJ. Kids grow up cheering for the same team their parents do. So when your parents are from Philly or NYC, you will cheer for those teams. The benefit Baltimore also has is that you will be able to retain a decent amount of fans from NJ. Baltimore isn't that far of a drive. Those that don't cheer for Baltimore will most likely support the Islanders (Islanders should move their arena to Brooklyn) since they hate the Flyers and Rangers.

There. I said it. Hate me all you want.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #112
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

There's a lot of money in Saskatoon right now, but only 250k people. Credit Union Centre is not NHL-ready. Hamilton is the right answer there.

OKC is a shithole. I drove through it twice. Stopped once to pee.
All I know about Baltimore I learned from the Wire.

Just contract two teams instead.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #113
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,708
Quote:

Phoenix -> Seattle
Florida -> QC

Drop Atlanta
Drop Islanders
Atlanta moved to Winnypeg last year.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #114
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,042
Quote:
They aren't that bad. Around $100 face face value. Better then Toronto.
The team might have sucked but being able to go day of game and grab 10-20 dollar seats was amazing in 07-08

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #115
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
There's a lot of money in Saskatoon right now, but only 250k people. Credit Union Centre is not NHL-ready. Hamilton is the right answer there.

OKC is a shithole. I drove through it twice. Stopped once to pee.
All I know about Baltimore I learned from the Wire.

Just contract two teams instead.
Sounds about right, and what part of the population in Oklahoma City even knows much about hockey?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #116
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Quote:
The team might have sucked but being able to go day of game and grab 10-20 dollar seats was amazing in 07-08
True, but I'd rather pay extra and not have a team that sucks. It could be worse, they could be expensive and suck. Cough red sox cough cough.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #117
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Oh god here I go again. I was almost hunted down and killed over this on bleacher report.

Like you, I would move Phoenix to Seattle. Seattle has a long hockey history and they are the first US team to ever win the Stanley cup. They also are in the final stages of building a new massive arena.

I would move Columbus to Oklahoma city. They have shown they can support a sports team, and they deserve a crack at having more.

I would move either Tampa Bay or the Panthers to QC. This doesn't need any explanation.

I would move the other FL team to Hamilton or Saskatoon. Spare me the, there is already a Toronto team BS. Everyone knows Toronto can support two teams. Hamilton would be my preferred pick out of those two.

And now for the one everyone freak out about. Move the Devils to Baltimore. I know it seems crazy right. Let us start with the benefits to Baltimore. 1. It had the highest viewer ratings for a city that doesn't have a hockey team, durring game 7 of the 2011 cup finals. In fact it beat out 9 cities that do have teams. 2. Baltimore already has established some of the best rivalries in sports. For example, NYC, Boston, DC, and Pittsburgh. 3. They are trying to build a new arena in the inner harbor.

So why should a team that has won 3 cups and 5 conference championships in 20 years leave? Well thats just it. They have done all of that in 20 years and still can't sell tickets. NJ was a poor choice to begin with. Most NJ residents already have established sports teams because they aren't from NJ. NJ is a commuter state. The Rangers and Flyers were already established in NJ. Kids grow up cheering for the same team their parents do. So when your parents are from Philly or NYC, you will cheer for those teams. The benefit Baltimore also has is that you will be able to retain a decent amount of fans from NJ. Baltimore isn't that far of a drive. Those that don't cheer for Baltimore will most likely support the Islanders (Islanders should move their arena to Brooklyn) since they hate the Flyers and Rangers.

There. I said it. Hate me all you want.
Screw Hamilton, bring back the Whalers! I want more teams in a short drive.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #118
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Sounds about right, and what part of the population in Oklahoma City even knows much about hockey?
All of the Baron's fans
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #119
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Screw Hamilton, bring back the Whalers! I want more teams in a short drive.
Whalers can't survive though. Same problem NJ has. The state is split between bruins nation and the rangers.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #120
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Atlanta moved to Winnypeg last year.
I gotta stop drinking.

Drop Columbus and the Islanders then.

And as much as I'd like to see it, Hartford can't support a team. QC, Seattle, Hamilton.

I think the big deal is contraction. If they don't drop two teams (or worse yet, let two more buy in) the quality will drop even further. For me it is all about realignment, regional rivalries, and knowledgeable fans. They need to extract more dollars from the base, and stop chasing the marginal once-a-year fan.

A lockout accomplishes neither.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: