Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post
All of the Baron's fans

Both of them.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #122
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,876
I can't post it from my phone but there is a YouTube video from the NHLPA that was released today. Prepare to fucking vomit. Nothing like Crosby lecturing fans on how players don't make enough.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #123
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
Quote:
I can't post it from my phone but there is a YouTube video from the NHLPA that was released today. Prepare to fucking vomit. Nothing like Crosby lecturing fans on how players don't make enough.
TBH, the owner's proposal has some serious flaws, outside of the revenue split. Longer entry contracts, later free agency, shorter contract terms, mandating all years at same $$, lack of revenue sharing (play on a shitty team? they're always going to be shitty. I'm looking at you, Rick Nash).

I think the smarter move from the teams is to get rid of averaging over the term for cap purposes. You wanna make 13 mil this year, find someone who can fit that in. Not the 7 that it averages out to, since you're making 40 grand a year when you're 43 years old and still under contract.

While I agree that the owners got themselves into this, I think the players have more leverage going after the long-term picture; revenue sharing, parity, how you define 'hockey revenues'. And I'd never agree to a year 0 clawback. They just signed those contracts. But the overall split? So long as there's a chance to make the small market teams competitive, the union - looking after all its membership - should be more focused on the long term. My $.02
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #124
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 10,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
TBH, the owner's proposal has some serious flaws, outside of the revenue split. Longer entry contracts, later free agency, shorter contract terms, mandating all years at same $$, lack of revenue sharing (play on a shitty team? they're always going to be shitty. I'm looking at you, Rick Nash).

I think the smarter move from the teams is to get rid of averaging over the term for cap purposes. You wanna make 13 mil this year, find someone who can fit that in. Not the 7 that it averages out to, since you're making 40 grand a year when you're 43 years old and still under contract.

While I agree that the owners got themselves into this, I think the players have more leverage going after the long-term picture; revenue sharing, parity, how you define 'hockey revenues'. And I'd never agree to a year 0 clawback. They just signed those contracts. But the overall split? So long as there's a chance to make the small market teams competitive, the union - looking after all its membership - should be more focused on the long term. My $.02

Wellington Mara is not an NHL owner.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #125
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #126
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,635
Quote:
I can't post it from my phone but there is a YouTube video from the NHLPA that was released today. Prepare to fucking vomit. Nothing like Crosby....
That's all you had to say to make me wanna vomit.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #127
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,248
Was Cindy crying about the difficulty of affording a superstar lifestyle?
It can't be cheap partying and golfing four months a year and then playing
the world's greatest sport for the next 8 months.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #128
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Here is the Crosby and co. video.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #129
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,635
Quote:
Here is the Crosby and co. video.

They should have Chara do it

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #130
bobobob
badbadbad

Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #131
Veteran Noob
Unremarkable

Oddometer: 344
Just sux

I would love to see contraction but neither side will go for it. The owners run the league but I think they're their own worst enemies. Wealthy clubs have enough clout to prevent revenue sharing. On the other side, weaker clubs have enough pull to prevent contraction. NHLPA won't allow contraction because that means members losing their jobs. Union is supposed to protect jobs (yeah, yeah; short sighted).

Relocation is probably NOT the answer. Although I'm sure another Toronto area team would be viable, the annual payment the Leafs would get make that unlikely (not sure why that's such a deterrent if it wasn't in New York). Also, fan base is only half the equation (and much less in many areas). The league sees strong corporate support as a key to a stable franchise (luxury box owners for instance). That is why, ith nothing but OSU football to compete with, Columbus was so attractive; lots of corporate dollars and no place to spend them. Seattle might make sense with the loss of the 'sonics but the NHL is concerned about them getting another NBA franchise. You're also competing with the 'hawks and Pilots, I mean Mariners.
Baltimore might be able to support a club but they'd have to make payments to the Caps for territorial infringement and given the presence of the Colts, birds, 'skins, Nats, Caps and Wizards it's likely the NHL wouldn't consider it. Quebec would probably get the most support from the league.
With the players, it's easy to vilify somebody like Crosby for wanting more money but the majority of the union members aren't making that kind of money. While their salaries sound great, most of these guys are lucky if they can play in the league for 8 years. Even if they manage their money, after they retire from hockey, most of these guys will end up spending 20 to 30 years as working stiffs just like the rest of us.

Here's my cure for the league. Four team contraction, four on four the whole game, no touch icing, no hand pass period, no auto DoG in the defensive zone (refs call) and move the blue lines back to where they use to be.
Veteran Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #132
bobobob
badbadbad

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Monday the League's owners are committed
to starting the 2012-13 regular season on time and he is hopeful negotiations for a new
Collective Bargaining Agreement will resume this week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642140

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #133
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Monday the League's owners are committed
to starting the 2012-13 regular season on time and he is hopeful negotiations for a new
Collective Bargaining Agreement will resume this week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642140
From what I understand, the owners won't negotiate unless the NHLPA submits a new counter proposal. NHLPA refuses to give up any more then they already have. I reserve the right to be wrong.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #134
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 10,004
Quote:
From what I understand, the owners won't negotiate unless the NHLPA submits a new counter proposal. NHLPA refuses to give up any more then they already have. I reserve the right to be wrong.
So what you are saying is: The owners want the season to start on time and get their way. The players just want to get their way regardless of a season.

I can identify a problem with this scenario.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #135
Schatzman OP
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
So what you are saying is: The owners want the season to start on time and get their way. The players just want to get their way regardless of a season.

I can identify a problem with this scenario.
Yes and no. I would argue that the players have given more then the owners at this current point in negotiations.

I will say that the Captials have to be shitting their pants right about now considering that OV said he would not return to the NHL if his salary is cut. The truth is the players made deals and signed contracts in good faith. The owners are trying to get out of those contracts by passing rules that will override the contracts. I see issues on both sides still.

The problem remains that no matter what 3rd and 4th line guys are getting fucked in the end. They can't score decent contracts in the other leagues and they aren't making their 1-2 million contracts in a sport where you retire at 35. Those same players are losing the most if the cap or contracts get altered. OV or Crosby going from 9 mil-7.5 isn't bad. Where third line guys going from 1.5 to 1mil lose more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: