Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #31
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Good news, I hope.

Assuming this is the same incident, according to the Lowell MA newspaper, the guy may have survived;
http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_20...cle-week-crash
That is great news.

The troopers we talked to were pretty sure he was going to be a DOA.

Granted being stable in a level 1 trauma center doesn't mean he's going riding anytime soon but if he's alive he has a chance.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 06:55 AM
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,780
I have ruined 4 helmets. 3 MC and one bicycle. All but one had extensive rash,and noticeable compression of the liner.

The one without liner compresion is actually the most disturbing. It had a pit in the top dead center and an oil can crack about 3 inches in diameter around it. I would have sworn there was no contact with anything.. The helmet did such a good job of protection I never even felt it.

Rod.
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #33
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,876
Sucks for the guy's family either way, dead, or now probably going to be VERY fucked up for a long time........maybe for the rest of his life. But my Dad always said, "there no point in being stupid unless you can prove it.".
I feel bad for his family.
Him, not so much.

Ride On!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #34
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
That is great news.

The troopers we talked to were pretty sure he was going to be a DOA.

Granted being stable in a level 1 trauma center doesn't mean he's going riding anytime soon but if he's alive he has a chance.
Better alive than buried. Hope he makes a full recovery.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #35
Altitude
n00b

Oddometer: 6
ABATE is that the Sarah Palin crowd?
Im in Canada I dont understand these things.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #36
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Sad to see a man die - regardless of the reason. My prayers go to his family and loved ones.

I sure wish I could agree with Colt03 - but this is not what I'm seeing in Michigan now that our helmet law has been repealed. Since it's been pulled, I'm amazed at the high percentage going helmet-less. I'd guess over 50%. I've often heard "I hate helmet laws because I don't want the government telling me what to do." - implying that they will wear a helmet, but want it to be their choice. From what I see, the argument is largely just "I don't want to wear a helmet".

By my count, the helmetless OVERWHELMINGLY fit a specific visual profile: "outlaw biker" (or at least wannabe outlaw biker). I expect this is more about a desire for a lifestyle image creating a logical blind spot in otherwise reasonable people.

I'm a full-on ATGATT (including airbag jacket) and I simply don't understand......
From what I've seen, I'd say the count is closer to 70% without helmets, and the vast majority of them I've seen are on cruisers from Milwaukee. I think I've only seen one or two sportbike riders without lids since the law got changed. All I can do is shake my head and hope to doG I don't see the accident or aftermath.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #37
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
That's one of the reasons the military REQUIRES helmets regardless of the state laws, same with seatbelts.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABritOnMaui View Post
A sad story. I feel your frustration.

Ignoring the tone of your rant... It is not the actions I am bothered about but the consequences. I do not want to have to pay for someone elses poor judgement. If they were only impacting themselves, that is one thing, but when it affects others then yes we have a right to look into mandating a change in behaviour. I live in a choice state (over 21). I am fine with no helmets (because the roads \ driving are so bad here you are guaranteed dead without one, the EMT's wont bother with you) but I am not fine with no eye protection which is both illegal and commonplace here.

When your actions only affect yourself you are free to do as you wish. When you hurt others financially and even physically, then sure expect to be told you are an ass and to change your ways. If that comes in the form of government induced laws or a friendly discussion with a plank of wood, no matter.
At what point do you draw the line? IMO obesity is a far more costly problem than some dumb ass not wearing a helmet. So you think that the government should require everyone with a BMI over 25 to become a raw vegan until they are down to a healthy weight?

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #39
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
At what point do you draw the line? IMO obesity is a far more costly problem than some dumb ass not wearing a helmet. So you think that the government should require everyone with a BMI over 25 to become a raw vegan until they are down to a healthy weight?
I agree. It isn't an easy problem, the same could be said for over drinking, smoking etc. Should we send porkers off to a Chinese style re-education camp? maybe :) It would make one hell of a tv show.

I was brought up to be responsible for my own actions and that rights come with responsibilities. I work my ass off to care for my family. I don't like that my health insurance is $500 a month per person, partly because the system is fat and broken and partly because it is abused by people making poor life choices. I am no beefcake but I am fit and relatively healthy. I drink a little wine now and again, I don't smoke, the bike is about my only risk factor. I eat healthily avoiding junk food. I actually like my lifestyle, but why should I pay for others excesses?

Often there are not simple answers, in this case there are (wear a helmet or carry additional insurance is a reasonable compromise no?). Whilst I agree with your sentiment, just because we cannot effectively control one thing doesn't mean we shouldn't control another thing right? We can't easily stop people using cell phones when driving (although we try) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't deal with speeders or drunk drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,073
Sorry to hear of the rider's injuries, if not death.

Gear would almost certainly have lessened his injuries, but imagine what learning how to ride well might have done.

ABATE, for our Candadian friend, is an organization that purports to be in the business of educating and preserving riders' rights . . .A Brotherhood Active Towards Education.

It seems most concerned about helmet laws, and the lack thereof.

Like most single issue organizations, it's membership can make for great TV.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #41
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
I think anybody who rides without a helmet is an idiot. I think anybody who rides without armored gear, boots and gloves is an idiot.

Seriously.

However, I am keenly aware that a large portion of the US population views me as an idiot because I ride at all. They would say the same thing about me, my family and friends as was said in the original post of this thread if I was ever in a fatal crash.

I would not want those people making legislation based on thier personal views of my risk assessments so I will never advocate laws based upon mine either. Live free and live with the consequences. I'm fine with that. I still think those who are not ATGATT are idiots but I support their right be be such.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Better alive than buried. Hope he makes a full recovery.
No idea.

Part of why I was sure he was going to be DOA is the police closed the road for a while and the accident reconstruction team came in. It's pretty interesting how they do this, they put marked triangles all over the place using a GPS unit to position them. They then use a camera on a tripod that also has a GPS then input everything into a computer.

One of the other demo guys is a retired police officer and he explained how it all works. He said they do this when they feel a high probability that someone will not survive. Pete said often big head wound victims make it to the hospital only to die a few days later. He's seen victims who can walk and talk for a half hour as the brain swells, then fade away. As they can't come back to reconstruct later they do it right away.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #43
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Very early in my street-riding career (1981, age 16) I hit some gravel rounding the turn into my neighborhood and slid/low-sided my Suzuki GT380 at low speed (less than 20 mph).

Dusted myself off, picked up the bike, kick-started it and went home to have lunch - thankful I was wearing jeans, jean-jacket and gloves.

Didn't even THINK about the (purple metal-flake open face) helmet I had on.

Finished lunch and went back to the car-port to get back on the bike and return to lifeguarding duty at the nearby pool.

And there, hanging on the mirror was my helmet with a pattern of small stones imbeded into the rightside temple area.

Never thought/knew my head had touched the ground until just then.

Yeah, I've worn helmets ever since, and I feel pity for the many who don't and suffer terrible consequences from what could have been a minor inconvenience.
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #44
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
No idea.

One of the other demo guys is a retired police officer and he explained how it all works. He said they do this when they feel a high probability that someone will not survive. Pete said often big head wound victims make it to the hospital only to die a few days later. He's seen victims who can walk and talk for a half hour as the brain swells, then fade away. As they can't come back to reconstruct later they do it right away.
When Ichtyrider crashed her ST into a ditch, she managed to break her skull in four places. I, the EMTs on scene and the Docs in the hospital all believe that her helmet - which was thoroughly destroyed - did its job beautifully. The shell protected the foam from the rocks lining the ditch and the foam compressed significantly to attenuate the impact. The chinbar stayed latched through the impact and articulated nicely to let the EMTs do their thing to assess her condition. She tells the story better than I, that she's still around and able to tell it speaks volumes to the value of a good helmet.

All that said, I do support the right of the individual to chose whether to wear one or not. I also support the right of their insurance company to quadruple the rates if they chose not to wear one.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #45
BruceFerg
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, most who choose to ride without helemts, et al, cannot understand how quickly and helplessly they can get wasted in even the most benign circumstances.
BruceFerg is offline   Reply With Quote