User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Montesa 260 handling

Have a question on 260 4rt. Coming off a montesa 315, and the 260 feels a lot more stable. But with that, in really tight turns, it tends to push the front. I have the bars set even with the back of the front tire and the forks level with the triple clamp. On the 315 the forks are up about an inch. With the 260 it feels like the greater torque and weight are the culprit. On the 315 I can turn it with pegs in the dirt, the 260, not so much.

So is it just getting used to thing or a set up thing. Here in the north west the ground is mostly soft lome, think riding on a mattress with pine needles and branches on it.

Beginner trials, but not motos.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,990
You never mentioned how either was geared.

The 4RT has much more torque off the bottom than a 315R does. Stock gearing will push the front end faster and easier if your body position/clutch work is not ready for it. Practice, practice, or re-gear, practice, practice, practice....
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

The 260 has 10/43. Tried a 9 tooth on the drive but it was binding on the 520 chain. Can't remember what is on the 315, but I kinda got plans to trick it out a bit. Love the psychadelic forks and the shape of the frame. Lot of thought was put in to that bike when it was built.

Based on another thread was going for a 9/43 combo on the 260, will try a 44 rear at some point. But even with the 43 it will idle along in gear.

Yes. Practice. Spent an hour going round a stump today. Can't keep my hands off the bike. Every spare moment.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
The 260 has 10/43. Tried a 9 tooth on the drive but it was binding on the 520 chain.
Odd. Mine doesn't. Of course I run a very cheap non O-ring DID chain. Geared 9/44.

Quote:
Yes. Practice. Spent an hour going round a stump today. Can't keep my hands off the bike. Every spare moment.
Practice, practice, practice....
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
The 260 has 10/43. Tried a 9 tooth on the drive but it was binding on the 520 chain. Can't remember what is on the 315, but I kinda got plans to trick it out a bit. Love the psychadelic forks and the shape of the frame. Lot of thought was put in to that bike when it was built.

Based on another thread was going for a 9/43 combo on the 260, will try a 44 rear at some point. But even with the 43 it will idle along in gear.

Hi, I think we met at the Wilson Creek Trial last year.
I agree with the lower gearing suggestion. The new bike has a higher idle speed and snappy EFI throttle response. You will eventually learn to control it with the clutch, in the mean time lower gearing will probably help. 9 tooth sprockets work fine on the older 4RTs. Are you running an O ring chain? If so it should break in and work on the smaller sprocket.
I look forward to seeing you on your new bike this year.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

No, it's a standard RK chain. Thought maybe the chain was too tight, so played around with it down to the point that it was dragging on the swing arm. Even
Took the tensioner off and tried it. Still when the wheel was spun by hand a lot of resistance and popping sounds. You could see the chain at the top of the sprocket, the tooth was not center in the link. It was catching the incoming roller.

Wilson creek, yeah, that was a good one. Keep looking for logs to ride the length of. That was all in the mind. Come on, who can't ride in a straight line? Me apparently. Hope they have it again this year.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Have a question on 260 4rt. Coming off a montesa 315, and the 260 feels a lot more stable. But with that, in really tight turns, it tends to push the front. I have the bars set even with the back of the front tire and the forks level with the triple clamp. On the 315 the forks are up about an inch. With the 260 it feels like the greater torque and weight are the culprit. On the 315 I can turn it with pegs in the dirt, the 260, not so much.

So is it just getting used to thing or a set up thing. Here in the north west the ground is mostly soft lome, think riding on a mattress with pine needles and branches on it.

Beginner trials, but not motos.
Is your 260 4rt a new 2015 model?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, 2015. just picked it up couple weeks ago.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
hubilado
Motoquiero

Quote:
Yeah, 2015. just picked it up couple weeks ago.
Great congratulations! I've got one on order here in NM, but haven't heard anything yet except "Maybe March", but it sounds like they are showing up now. Did your dealer have any comments about getting the bikes "early"?

Thanks,
Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
feirmeoir
Irish farmer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
Great congratulations! I've got one on order here in NM, but haven't heard anything yet except "Maybe March", but it sounds like they are showing up now. Did your dealer have any comments about getting the bikes "early"?

Thanks,
I was told last fall some would come in January and the rest would come in March.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
hubilado
Motoquiero

Quote:
Originally Posted by feirmeoir View Post
I was told last fall some would come in January and the rest would come in March.
I believe it was the Repsol models that came in January, at least that's what happened around here. Our dealer got his Repsol bike the second week in January, but he was informed that the 260 RT's would not arrive until March, but it sounds like some are showing up now.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

I happened by the honda shop back in September and just threw the question out there. They said they were getting one in January 2015. One in 5 that was to be shipped to the Pacific North West, if I wanted it I should put a down payment.
Not sure what honda's thinking is behind this, hard for people who either want one, or are on the fence, to even lay hands on it.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
hubilado
Motoquiero

Quote:
I happened by the honda shop back in September and just threw the question out there. They said they were getting one in January 2015. One in 5 that was to be shipped to the Pacific North West, if I wanted it I should put a down payment.
Not sure what honda's thinking is behind this, hard for people who either want one, or are on the fence, to even lay hands on it.
But yours is the 260 RT not the Repsol....correct?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
SportSawyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
... the forks level with the triple clamp.
You may want to try raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps. There are two scribed lines in each tube, one 4mm from the top and the other 8mm from the top.

I set mine with the 4mm lines even with the top of the triple clamp. That seems to be the standard setting.
SportSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
Vincentg
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm waiting for a 2015 standard version as well. I know here in Colorado a few of the Repsol versions showed up a few days ago. The dealer is still saying March for the standard version. I'd be curious how many are being imported.
Vincentg is offline   Reply With Quote