Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/trial/4...donne-200.html
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,571
These are cool for sure, but they have the problem (or benefit) of a more narrow range of application.

That's not a problem with a trials bike, or a big dualsport, but it can be with a more in-between trail bike. If you have a specific purpose, like an RV bumper bike, or something you roll out of a cabin and go do a mix of trials and slower trail, it's a good choice. If you have to cover distances with riders who don't smell flowers, but want to go way over there fast, and you have some road riding also, then a medium-size dualsport is better.

The only answer seems to be - if you can afford it - a stable full of all types of bikes.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
lamotovita OP
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Thanks, I don't know how I didn't find that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
These are cool for sure, but they have the problem (or benefit) of a more narrow range of application.

That's not a problem with a trials bike, or a big dualsport, but it can be with a more in-between trail bike. If you have a specific purpose, like an RV bumper bike, or something you roll out of a cabin and go do a mix of trials and slower trail, it's a good choice. If you have to cover distances with riders who don't smell flowers, but want to go way over there fast, and you have some road riding also, then a medium-size dualsport is better.

The only answer seems to be - if you can afford it - a stable full of all types of bikes.
Yeah, a little bigger engine and a six speed would make it much more interesting.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
2feetdown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
When i bring up links i dont see any specs I hear 200 will be 190something cc. I have a 125 Randonne i use on my farm as a trail bike. it would not work well as at trials for me i weigh 245lbs. 200 might be a different story
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I like the air cooled engine. It looks like a 6000mi motor.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
lamotovita OP
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feetdown View Post
When i bring up links i dont see any specs I hear 200 will be 190something cc. I have a 125 Randonne i use on my farm as a trail bike. it would not work well as at trials for me i weigh 245lbs. 200 might be a different story
179cc.

If you get a chance to compare one to your 125 we'd love to hear about it.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
FWIW - those are *not* yamaha motors. They are made by Jianshe - which is a Chinese company who partners with Yamaha. Unlike the Yamaha Brazil TTR motors, these are not Yamaha TTR motors made under license, they are a copy of the TTR and Yamaha parts do not fit it. Dont ask me how I found out...

So, is this a bad thing? Not really. The motors are fine. But dont expect to put on any TTR aftermarket parts (like better clutch, big bore exhaust, etc.)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
ridenm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
FWIW - those are *not* yamaha motors. They are made by Jianshe - which is a Chinese company who partners with Yamaha. Unlike the Yamaha Brazil TTR motors, these are not Yamaha TTR motors made under license, they are a copy of the TTR and Yamaha parts do not fit it. Dont ask me how I found out...

So, is this a bad thing? Not really. The motors are fine. But dont expect to put on any TTR aftermarket parts (like better clutch, big bore exhaust, etc.)
Do you happen to know if the Scorpa TY-S motors are also sourced from Brazil?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

The older scorpa's 125s (2008) were Yamaha TTR motors, but the newer TY125s (2012 onwards) are Jianshe motors. What is dissapointing is that the darn Scorpa website still calls them a Yamaha motor. That's a real stretch.

I had a 2012 TY125 Scorpa for a while. They are fine, but if you want to boost the power or install a smoother clucth you are out of luck. You got what you got.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
SportSawyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
FWIW - those are *not* yamaha motors. They are made by Jianshe ....
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the motor mount locations, widths, hole size, etc. are the same as the Yamaha TTR125 (or other TTR) motor?

In other words. It doesn't come with a Yamaha motor, but would a genuine Yamaha motor fit the chassis directly?
SportSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Good question. When I had the 2012 Scorpa TY125S, I almost bought a TTR motor so I could make it bigger engine. But then found a buyer for the Scorpa and got the OSSA Explorer instead. The 125 was actually fine, I had to rev it to yank me up hills, and had to work harder to pull up the front - but it was 125 4 stroke after all. That is why I wanted a bigger engine. I hated the cable clutch and wanted to get a new pack and cable from BJRacing, but we were not sure if it would fit or not. I did not want to take the chance.

The Scorpa also had gearing much more suited to trails than trials. Which - at the time - was fine for me - because it was going to be half for the wifey for trails, and half for me for trials competition (Novice). I am glad I did not stick with it, because I find the trials gearing of the OSSA to be much more useful in trials competition. Like motobene says, they would make a great trail bike, that would go up and over all kinds of stuff.

As for the GasGas 200 - its already bored up to 179cc - so I would expect much better performance. A mechanic buddy had one of the earlier 125s and it was pretty bad. I suspect that has all been taken care of now.

Be interesting to see if anyone else has owned one of these and done any mods.

OneEffinName screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 08:03 AM
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is some more (useless?) info on the Jianshe motor and bikes that use them.

http://www.tatsuyoshi.net/toyota/mc/...02/ybr125.html
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
2feetdown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Ive got a 125 randonne had it about a year. I bought it to use on my dairy farm as a check get up cows bike with the thought of also playing a bit along the trail its serving the farm purposes well but ill powered for a lot of fun as i am a big guy with limited skills it will not do near what my 300 race will do. I have considered exaust modifications but may opt for 200 and sell 125 or use both on farm. No problems with bike except fuse to electric start doesnt fit well and spedo quit working first day. I would like to fix spedo I fiddled with it (programing) and checked sensor at rear wheel anyone got any ideas. I might consider selling it if 200 has power and price isnt to bad ive ridden probably about 300 miles spedo shows 50.
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
I am digging this back up.

Anyone get the 200? I am looking at getting one.

Has anyone seen or know of any for sale in the western PA/Ohio/WV area?
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote