User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
kf1128 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Scorpa sy250 opinions

Came across a 2007 scorpa sy250 that looks well maintained. Looking for opinions/experience of the bike, issues to look for and what might be a fair price. Been riding for over 40 years, but this would be my first trials bike. Looking for a play bike, not a competition bike. Also found a 2006 sherco 3.2, but from what I've read, might not be a good choice for someone new to trials. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
kf1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,950
$2500-$3K if it's really nice. Just make sure all bearings are good, clutch, brakes, etc... work well, meaning one finger control with plenty of power. If the 3.2 is a four stroke, I'd run away as fast as possible.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Parts could be a problem. The Yamaha motor was never a competitive one. It was left over from the TYZ that was never brought into the states, and was a dog in it`s hey day.
That being said it was not a bad get around bike. The exhaust would crack on the mid pipe just above the engine. It is not worth a lot of bucks, since Scorpa basically went under and Sherco bought them. Scorpa`s are now Sherco powered.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,950
My bad. For some reason I was thinking Sherco as I typed my above post. I'd lower the value down to $2K - $2.5K tops. And the 3.2 was still a Sherco four stroke which I'd run away from.

2whlrcr screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:03 AM
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #5
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
SY250 is a great starter bike IMO. Alittle heavy and under powered compared to others, but the Yamaha motor, while large, is very smooth and about as bombproof as it gets. The SY is also a very good turning bike (more important for a novice than power) No linkage makes for simple service - oil, airfilter and chain and keep an eye on the midbox mount.

You can still get most parts from Mike at the Tryals Shop in NY.

Id say a clean 07 would easily fetch around $2500 +/- a few hundred. Typically, the Yamaha motor is a good selling point as they are about as maintenance free as they get.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM   #6
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,062
The 2-stroke Yammer, I assume.

I've test ridden these and observed them working. The Yamaha 2-stroke engine has mellow power and lots of rotational inertia (aka flywheel weight). Very easy to ride these bikes. The mellow power is advantageous for most of us.

I'd worry not one bit about reliability and parts. Yeah, there could be quirks like the cracking exhaust lineaway pointed out, but details like that are fixable.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote