User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 413
Arai XD-4 Initial Impressions and Real World Evaluation

Arai XD-4 Initial Impressions and Install of Headset/Intercom plus a kudos to a vendor…
EDIT::: I will break this report into a couple chapters. First my initial impressions and a great vendor.

This is a not so quick overview of my newly purchased Arai XD-4 helmet. I am not affiliated with any mfg…just a bloke that rides…a lot…really, way too much…or so my wife says. After writing this installment and re-reading, I notice that I get to rambling quite a bit. Personally, I like to read review reports that offer the writer’s perspective on how a purchase was considered and the various other aspects of the product…not just a cut and dried review. Plus I wanted to show the excellent customer service of a vendor. However…YMMV.

(Note…that I wanted to get this posted ASAP so my “review” is a bit premature. I will edit this over the next few days with more observations as I put more miles on the XD-4)…so cut me a bit of slack.

I had been in the market for a new helmet for a few months now. Traditionally I would wear a full face in the colder months and a ¾ in the summer months. As I now ride a 2007 GL1800 Goldwing, I also have a helmet headset with intercom. My past helmet purchases were strictly Bell brands. The Bell helmets seem to fit my head shape and size better than the other brands, plus they were not pocket-robbing expensive. My current warm weather 3/4 helmet is a Bell Mag-8. It’s sort of an odd looking lid and not at all typical of Goldwing riders. I tend to go for functionality and practicality over style and fashion statements.

This helmet was originally pearl white. I repainted it to bright yellow which was as close to hi-viz rattle can paint that I could find. The Krylon Fusion paint for plastics works very nice. A few added retro-reflective stickers for added nighttime visibility.

My current cool-cold weather Bell Helmet. I kept the silver as it came initially and again added some retro-reflective stickers. I ride a lot a night too.

Frankly, I just do not give a shit what others think. I want to be safe or at least feel safe when I ride. Did I mention I ride a lot? Yep, somewhere between 18K and 25K a year…every day, rain or shine. Thus my attraction to being and feeling safe while riding and my recent purchase of a Aerostich one piece Roadcrafter in hi-viz…got it used at a steal.

Last summer I thought about it and decided I wanted to keep the FF helmet for year ‘round riding, just to be safer in the event of “whatever”. I wore my FF Bell for a few weeks in the sweltering heat. Gheesh…my Bell FF is a friggin sauna in the summer in Eastern NC. I just could not go with that. Even with all the vents open I was dying. There has got to be a better venting FF helmet on the market. So after scouring the market for a couple months and reading way too many helmet reviews on webBikeWorld.com and ADVRider I decided that maybe a Dual Sport FF would be a nice compromise; full face helmet protection and added summer time ventilation. Now which one to buy…how much to spend…decisions, decisions.

Some of the DS helmets look like something from Mad Max and were just a bit too “radical” for my conservative taste; too much style over functionality. Then AFX came out with the FX-39. Hmm…interesting, plus a nice price. A few reviews later and I was now unsure of the FX-39. I wonder how the higher prices helmets compare. For the coin of an Arai, Shoei, or the like I could buy 5 helmets of the lower priced ones. Then I stared thinking…I am buying a helmet every year on average for one reason or the other and have yet to find one that I really like. If, (big IF) I spend 400-500$ on an upper end helmet would it be worth the cost to have a nice lid that will last 5 years? Hmmm! So I then started to review Arai XD-3. There were some things that I did not especially like on this helmet, mainly nit-picking stuff, and for 500 Benjamin’s, I want…well…what I want. Back to the drawing board, so to speak. But wait, as the infomercial states, Arai has just introduced the XD-4. New and improved over the XD-3. Hmm…once again. Plus Arai is DOT and Snell approved which is an added bonus for we safety minded riders.

Before I come off of $500 plus dollars of my hard earned cabbage, I want to touch, feel, caress, smell and most important try on the jewel of the Nile, as it were. Lo and behold the International Motorcycle Show is coming to Charlotte NC this February. No shit….there will have to be a vendor or three at this IMS that sells Arai. Let’s find out. A few web searches later and I stumble across The Service Pavilion and the rave reviews of prices and customer service. I send them an email stating my wants and ask them to bring a XD-4 in Medium White to the show. To my surprise, (a lot of para-phrasing here…author’s liberty) Robert, the TSP owner, replies he will probably have one there but will not hold it for me. WHAT!...dude, I am asking you to bring one stinking helmet that I am 90% positive I am gonna purchase. Why can’t you add it to your lot? He states that his company will not sell a helmet unless it has been personally fitted to the rider by his staff. OK??? I have never heard that before. Why, I asked? Because, if you drop 500 plus cabbages on a lid, site unseen, and it doesn’t fit, you don’t like it, whatever, then I don’t want you dissin me, my company, or Arai. Plus if the lid fits properly, you will wear it, won’t bitch about it and potentially be a loyal Arai purchaser in the future. Wow! Such a different business model than the fly by night other internet “retailers” that only what my coin. Ok, no problem I fully understand and totally agree with you. So I wait for a couple months until the IMS comes to Charlotte which is about 200 miles from my home. A nice day trip.

Man, this story is getting longer and longer and I have not even got to my initial impressions yet. Sorry for being long winded, but shit-a-brick…I bet you waste more time reading other crap…why not read my crap? Moving on…

I leave home around 6:20 am Saturday and arrive at the IMS by 10:30 am. After paying my 12$ entry fee thanks to a coupon for 3$ off the gate price, I make a beeline to find the TSP booth. I speak to Brianna and tell her my request of wanting to purchase a XD-4. OK. Let’s get you measured. Turn sideways; tape measure to head. You are a small. Huh! Small? I’ve never worn a small…always a medium. So on my melon goes a small. Shit that thing is tight. No worries, let’s trade out this pad, that pad, a slight adjustment here and there. Now whatta ya think? Still too small! See I told you I wear a medium, was going through my mind. But what do I know? How many heads has she had to deal with over the years? Probably enough to know how to size a helmet. Brianna brings out a medium. Wow, much better. After trading out the cheek pads and the liner (who knew that these were even exchangeable?) this helmet fits rather nicely. Can you hold this for me? I want to do a bit of shopping/looking and will be back to get the XD-4 in a bit. I wonder how many times she has heard that line. Sure, no problem let me get a few notes. She writes down my measurements, so to speak and says I am now on file. If I don’t make it back then I can order online later. But I though you said you all will not ship a helmet online. No we won’t unless you have been fitted by us in person. Sa-weet! I have now been officially and personally fitted for a helmet, the first time in 25 years of riding and no telling how many helmets. So what is the bottom line price on this helmet? $525.00. That’s the show special, which is, best guess, around $100 savings considering the custom/exchanged pads. That’s about what I figured it would cost.

I spend the next couple hours looking at bikes, folks, vendors, etc…typical bike show stuff trying to talk myself out of spending north of 5 bills on a lid. I even go to the other vendors to see if I could find another helmet that I liked equally well that was less money. A wasted effort, but I did get to try on several other helmet brands. IMO….Shoei, Schuberth and Nolan helmets to a lesser degree. are the only other mfgs that comes close to Arai in initial, off the rack, comfort, quality and wear ability for helmets. As compared to my previous Bell helmets, the Bell is akin to driving a Ford Pinto where the Arai, Shoei, Schuberth, etc are Rolls-Royces. No joke. I guess you DO get what you pay for. The overall appearance, quality of the liner, face shield, construction etc are ten fold better on these brands than any other helmet I have ever owned. The only word that comes to my mind that adequately describes the Arai and Shoei is “Substantial”. I mean these high end helmets are substantially better in every aspect than the lower to mid priced helmets. I tried on 10-12 helmets from other brands and nothing was even close. No, do not get me wrong, there are other helmet mgs that offer a good product…but in apples-to-apples side by side comparison…it is a no brainer. Honestly, I hoped I could find a lesser priced helmet that I would serve my purposes. None did…and again...YMMV!

One thing I discovered while trying on all these different helmets was to notice how the face shield looked and operated. It seemed that the better quality (i.e. higher priced) helmets had a much better shield mechanism and the shield was more substantial. There is that word again. So after about the 5th helmet slid on my knoggin, I just started raising and lowering the shield. If it felt like a POS then usually I could find many other items on the helmet that were a POS in quality.

I eventually make it back to the TSP booth and purchase the XD-4 after wearing it for 20-30 minutes while standing in front of the booth. While I was doing this Robert and Brianna sold two other Arai helmets. I guess I was a “hard sell” as compared to these customers that literally were fitted, purchased and walking away in 5 minutes each. Brianna was very accommodating to my anal-retentive question, concerns, comments, etc. TPS gave me, in no uncertain terms, one of the BEST customer service experiences I have ever had. The only thing I can think of is the attention I got when I last purchased a suit, as in dress-suit and had to have it tailored to fit properly. A+ on TPS and the staff. You WILL get all my business in future helmet purchases!

Well, we are finally here to the point in this overview where I show a couple pics of the XD-4. Up front I will say that the Arai designers-engineers put in much forethought into the helmet. Out of the box. The first thing that caught my eye was the quality of the paint and the overall design of the helmet. My wife even commented on how “nice” it looked. Clean, crisp and smooth.

It’s got this little retractable chin-curtain. Supposedly this will keep some cool air at bay.

I rode with the helmet for the first time this morning on my daily commute. It was 30F when I left home. I did not notice any wind noise or cold spots. Not much of a test, for sure, but initially I am impressed. I will add a few more points of review as the next few days will offer more riding time.

Next Chapter 2: Installation of J&M Audio Headset/Intercom

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr

jbhawley screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 05:14 AM
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Nice write up. What are the differences between the 3 and 4? I have the 3 and it looks identical to yours. That chin curtain is a worthless POS. It does not stay down or act like the chin curtains on solid or modular helmets. At the price I wish Arai would have standard Pin-Lock visors. Mine fogs below 50 degrees, but it is the most comfortable helmet I have for extreme hot weather riding (100-120 degree AZ summers).
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
Nice write up. What are the differences between the 3 and 4? I have the 3 and it looks identical to yours..
I cannot say all the differences between 3 and 4. TSP stated that the venting on the 4 is better. I will get some pics of the vents sometime this week and post. There are 9 individual vents on the 4.
Chin bar - center
Chin bar - left and right
Top - left and right
Back - left and right
Visor (shield) brow vents left and right. Literally they are integrated into the visor at the eye brow position. I think this is new to the 4.

Yeah, I read on other reviews that the movable chin curtain is a POS and was one of the nit-picking items that I had also. I guess the theory is good but in actual practice...not so much.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr

jbhawley screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 09:09 AM
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Revzilla have done a video comparison (here somewhere) of the XD3 and XD4 when reviewing the XD4.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Good writeup, linking to the other XD4 thread.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
JB,..why the arai over the Shoei if i might ask ?

ps. Please feel free to elaborate at length :P Id love to hear your take on it.

mac inger screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 05:49 PM
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
bignslo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
Nice write up. What are the differences between the 3 and 4? I have the 3 and it looks identical to yours. That chin curtain is a worthless POS. It does not stay down or act like the chin curtains on solid or modular helmets. At the price I wish Arai would have standard Pin-Lock visors. Mine fogs below 50 degrees, but it is the most comfortable helmet I have for extreme hot weather riding (100-120 degree AZ summers).
Hey Dude...try "cat crap" for the fogging problem , I get mine from REI locally...works for a day, then wipe clean and re apply..........I have an Arai Corsair...saved my brain when I broke my neck........
bignslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac inger View Post
JB,..why the arai over the Shoei if i might ask ?

ps. Please feel free to elaborate at length :P Id love to hear your take on it.
The Shoei's "peak" is useless. It's little more than a styling element. It's too small and angled too high to be of any real use.

The Arai's "peak" is actually functional. It can be used for blocking the sun or roost.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignslo View Post
Hey Dude...try "cat crap" for the fogging problem , I get mine from REI locally...works for a day, then wipe clean and re apply..........I have an Arai Corsair...saved my brain when I broke my neck........
They don't make "Cat Crap", anymore.

Oh, and Arai uses real Pinlock visors and inserts. They're available directly from Arai or several of the authorized dealers.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Chapter 2: J&M Headset/Intercom Install

Installing the J&M Audio headset/intercome was a preverbial breeze as compaired to any other helmet I have owned. The Arai design/engineers really put some forethought into the helment, assuming some riders would want a headset. I am greatly pleased.

First remove the cheek pads
The cheek pads and liner are easily removable. Once thing I noticed right away was the cheek pads do not have any snaps to hold them in place but a friction mechanism, of sorts.

Installing the ear speakers was so simple. Remove the cheek pads…

Fold back the material/covering…

Put the speaker in place. The pads already have a place for the speakers within the foam.

Put the cover/material back in place and “snap” them back in place.

I added a small piece of sticky-back felt foam so the mic clamp would not scratch the nice paint job.

Even the neck curtain is made to accept the intercom boom mic. Most other helmets require me to cut into this area to get the clamp affixed to the helmet.

The back of the helmet liner is made to allow the speaker wires to hide easily.

The mic fits nicely in the chin bar area.

It took me about 15 minutes to get this installed. Nice and neat.

Next chapter 3: More riding evaluation and comments.

jbhawley screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 05:13 AM
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac inger View Post
JB,..why the arai over the Shoei if i might ask ? ps. Please feel free to elaborate at length :P Id love to hear your take on it.

Everyone has an opinion and an ass. Mostly they all stink. But since you asked, I will oblige with additional muse.

As I mentioned earlier in my post I was only looking for Dual Sport type helmets that come in either Gloss White or Hi-Viz...no graphics. Some of the lesser mfgs only have the heavily graphic helmets, so they did not even make my long list. These three particular DS brands were on my short list:
The Arai XD-4 that I purchased.
Shoei Hornet
AFX FX-39
Fly Trekker
I place quite a bit of confidence in the reviews from wBw as they have a very good reputation for the cut and dry on gear evaluation.

The Fly Trekker was a bit to Mad Max looking for me. Even when I tried it on last weekend at the IMS it felt, well, cheap. So scratch that off my list.

I had similar response to the AFX FX-39. The styling was much more conservative but the helmet felt cheaply made and did not fit well to my head shape.

The Shoei Hornet was next on the list. Actually I tried on the Shoei Neotec first. I was not really in the market for a flip up, but I put this helmet at the top of the list once I tried it on. It felt great and fit out of the box. As I was looking for a DS to offer more visor viewing area and more summer time venting, I sadly crossed the Neotec off my list and returned it to the shelf. If…I were in the market for a flip up…the Neotec would be THE one to buy.

Back to the Hornet. One thing from the wBw review on the Hornet was the peak/visor whatever you happen to call this thing, from your neck of the woods. The Hornet peak is not adjustable. AFAIK the XD-4 is one of the only few DS helmets with an adjustable visor. From my previous Bell Mag-8 with a peak, the adjustability is a nice feature to have.

Secondly, the Hornet did not have cheek pads that accepted my headset speakers as easily as the XD-4. This point was noted in the wBw review.

The Hornet had the traditional Shoei look, feel and quality of a high-end helmet. The padding was very nice but it just didn’t fit properly. I asked the vendor if the pads were exchangeable as were on the XD-4. Nope, but you can order a different size pad or modify the ones in the helmet to your needs. Maybe it was just this particular vendor and if so, I will not judge all Shoei from this perspective. Or it could be that, supposedly, from the wBw review the Hornet is not “officially” available in the US…thus the vendor statement of no pad exchanging. He may have had only a couple Hornets on hand. I never got into talking to him about actually making a purchase. I have not compiled any research into whether the Hornet is actually available in the US for purchase. So do no quote me on that point…I am strictly going by the wBw notes.

As with nearly everything motorcycle related, especially gear, there are three levels of equipment; high-end, middle and entry level. The initially quality of the high-end gear versus the mid or entry level is beyond comparison. It is the apples to oranges scenario. So I feel a bit awkward grouping the AFX and Fly DS helmets into this evaluation as they are not on the same level as Arai, Shoei or Schuberth and Nolan to a lesser degree.

jbhawley screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 11:48 AM
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
+1 on TSP. They are truly awesome; willing to spend as much time as it takes and gently guide you to a better choice for you when it's needed, even if it means you spend less.

Great folks!!

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignslo View Post
After searching for a pinlock to no avail, I purchased a fog city insert for the visor. It's cheap, but it does the job. I see the pinlocks are available again, but I wish the whole visor was tinted and not just the pinlock insert. AZ is all sun all the time.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Chapter 3: Ride Evaluation (Rainy – Cloudy Conditions)

Chapter 3: Ride Evaluation (Rainy – Cloudy Conditions)
Yesterday afternoon and evening I had to travel about 60 miles (120 miles round trip) and was able to get a good evaluation on the XD-4. The weather was crappy. It was misting, drizzling rain with an occasional sprinkle and temps around 50F. Being bald I nearly always ride with some sort of head covering. It makes the helmet more comfortable and keeps the liner less-stinky over the miles. Yesterday on my “to” trip I wore this Schampa balaclava. My head was toasty warm. Since it was pissing rain I did not open any of the vents, plus I wanted to see how noisy the helmet.

The XD-4 is less noisy than my previous Bell FF. I think this is a dual effort. First the quality of the helmet and liner makes it quieter. Secondly, the headset speakers fit tighter against my ears on the XD-4 than on my Bell. This was akin to wearing ear muffs…sort of…and I think attributed to lessening the overall wind noise. Either way, I did not notice hardly any excess wind noise. Please note that I ride a full faring Goldwing and I did have the headset/radio volume off. YMMV greatly on a un-fairing (naked) bike.

The visor/shield is crystal clear and fits snuggly when in the down position. The visor also operates smoothly up and down and stayed put in whatever position I had it in. One feature I noticed is that the visor has a “almost down” position. I’d say there is maybe 1/2mm opening which I assume is to allow a small bit of fresh air to enter the shell to aid in fog removal. There is a noticeable SNAP to get the visor fully down and locked.

As this is my first DS helmet, there is no comparison between the viewable area on the DS versus a FF. My peripheral vision is expanded exponentially as is my frontal area vision. I am not sure the additional square inches that the DS shield has over a traditional FF shield, but I surmise to guess it is at least 15% bigger overall…which makes a huge difference in keeping an eye on the road and the surrounding environment (i.e. Blue Hairs trying to run us over or Soccer Moms with a mini-van full of rug-rats).

I did notice, as a previous poster pointed out, that the shield will fog. Yesterday was a good experiment for shield fogging as the weather was muggy and the temperature difference between outside and inside air was 30-50F. Initially the shield fogged when I first put it on as the helmet had been in my bike’s trunk all day and was at outside air temperature. The center chin bar has a vent that when “closed” actually allows the air to get directed upward towards the shield; so it is not really closed at all, but rather repositioned. I will say that the amount of air is lessened by 80% when in the “closed” -repositioned position. The fully open position allows air to come straight into the rider’s chin-mouth area. Moving the vent controller from open to close or rather down (straight in flow) to up (upward flow),--did all that make sense????? I did notice the direction of the air changed. Fogging did not expedite from the shield with the chin vent on full open (air coming straight in) and did dissipate after only a few miles of city riding while in the upward flowing position.

Next Installment: Chapter 4 (More ride evaluation with Sunny-Cool Conditions and some additional pic of the vent locations)

jbhawley screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 11:53 AM
Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Thanks for the detailed review..

Fixed thread title as per your request.