Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,258
Hey Max. Every trip you take you learn more and more about staying comfortable. The first time we met up in Wellsboro earlier this year you had a tent malfunction. Do you remember that one?

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Newfoundland, my wife and I fed a lot of black flies up there back in the 90's! Great place, have a good trip.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
crookedNewf
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Northern Penn. Can be cold

Hey Max, I see that your in Lomond Park just off the TCH just south of Rocky Harbor. Nice park, lots of Flies!
On a brighter note the scenery in that area is pretty cool. If your into geology at all, if you continue your ride on the road the park is on, you'll go past Trout River and on to the "Table Lands" Its a pretty wild spot barren of any vegetation and looks like a mars landscape.
I'm sure you have been told of the many sites along the Northern Peninsula up to St. Anthony.
Within the park there's a nice place to stop for a stretch if the weather is nice.
Western brook pond walking trail is a flat easy walk in the the pond and Fjords you can see from the road. There is a large parking lot right off the main highway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:We...Brook_Pond.JPG

I hope the weather improves over on the west coast for you.
crookedNewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 553
Laugh nice!

thanks for sharing & awesome that you got 2 weeks to ride!
Seems it's all about attitude, doesn't it?
I hope to make it to the rock someday - thanks for the reminder!
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Gonna watch this RR, got the makings of a great one. I love your style of writing. Just hope that the weather comes to the party.
Rodsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,329
Tang and vodka = Astronaut screwdrivers.

Cool report. I'm trying to decide where to take a trip this summer, and I am thinking of heading to Nova Scotia. Newfoundland will probably have to wait, though.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Wind

"Total mileage for the day: 212 miles (though this felt more like 2012 miles)"

The wind through Wreckhouse literally blows tractor trailers off of the road.
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,263
Excellent timing! SCS and I had the maps out last night planning our course.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,142
Day 4 – Thursday, June 7th

I woke up early in the morning with frozen toes. It was another miserable cold morning. I don’t know just how cold it was, but I could see my breath. Thus far into the trip, I had only been getting four to five hours of sleep a night. It’s not that I was tired of sleeping by this point, it’s just that I woke up freezing and couldn’t get back to sleep after waking up cold.

I looked up into the sky and saw dark clouds that were threatening to dump rain on me. I had been traveling for three days straight in cold rain and wasn’t in the mood to do it again. I decided to just stay put until the skies cleared up.

While waiting out the impending weather, I took the time to dry out some of my gear by the fire.

I also did some hiking in the surrounding area. It was nothing major, but it was a chance to stretch my legs and take a look around at this part of Gros Morne.

All morning it looked like it was going to rain, but never did. Finally at about two in the afternoon the skies started to clear a bit and I decided to pack up and see a bit more of Gros Morne and then head up the northern peninsula. I got packed up and headed out on the road. No more than five minutes after leaving, it started drizzling. Un-fucking-believable! I sat around all morning waiting for it to rain, but it never did. As soon as I decide it’s not going to rain (and the skies looked clearer), it starts up once I’m on the bike. I really hope this isn’t how the rest of the trip is going to be. The rain very quickly turns from drizzle to a light rain. Nearly immediately some of the rain finds its way into my boots. Great. I was five minutes into the trip and my feet were already damp. I pulled over and put on my wet weather gear and headed to the Gros Morne Discovery Center. At least that was an indoor exhibit.

The Discovery Center had been highly recommended by two different park rangers I had spoken to. However, I was disappointed with it. It was really nothing more than a small visitor center with a gift shop. At least I got to see a wild fox that decided to poke around the parking lot.

While in the parking lot, a fox decided to show up and hang out a bit.

After spending a few minutes at the discovery center, I decided to head north. The scenery through Gros Morne was spectacular. Despite the cold temps, the constant drizzle, and cold wet feet, it was an enjoyable ride through the park.

The scenery was spectacular as I headed out of Gros Morne up the northern peninsula.

There were lots of little fishing villages along the way.

I made it just north of a small town called Parsons Pond when I saw a beached fishing vessel. There was a rough little dirt road leading to the rocky beach about a quarter of a mile from the boat. I pulled off and decided to walk down to take a look at it. As I was walking to the boat, I saw a pickup truck pull into the pull off. I looked back and realized my bike was probably blocking its path. I went back to move it over a bit so the truck could get through. When I walked back, the driver told me it was fine where it was at. There were three guys there; two in their thirties or forties and one teenager. They had a four wheeler they were towing behind on a trailer. I got to talking with them for a bit and they told me they had come down to cut the propeller off of the beached fishing boat to sell for scrap. They had a gas-powered cutter that the teenager and one of the other guys loaded onto the four wheeler, and then they headed to the boat. I walked down the beach with the other guy toward the boat. He told me the boat had mechanical troubles and had washed up on shore last fall.

I was able to climb into the boat and look around a bit. It was in rough shape and all the instruments had already been scavenged. There was a ton of drift wood around to make a fire and a flat spot next to the beach that I could put my tent. This would be a great spot to camp for the night… Except I didn’t have a way to get my bike there, and I didn’t want to leave my bike out of sight and a quarter mile from where I would be camped at. I was talking to one of the guys about possibly camping there and they agreed it would make a great spot if only I could get my bike there. They suggested trying to skirt the edge of the rocky beach with my bike. I really didn’t think my bike could make it. However, they said if I had troubles, there were three guys there that could get me out. That was enough of an incentive for me! I really only had about a hundred yards of rough beach to get through, then there was a rough dirt road that was made when they rescued the fishermen last fall (part of the road had turned to swamp, which is why I couldn’t take the bike the whole way there on the road).

I cleared out some of the big rocks and made myself a rough trail to get to the dirt road. I then hopped on the bike and started down the beach. Almost immediately I realized I had made a mistake going this way. My street tires just couldn’t get any grip in the sand. I would go a foot or two, get buried, then dig myself out and repeat. However, there was no way for me to turn around, so I had to push forward. I had made it about fifty feet when I got myself buried up to my headers. I put the kickstand down and started digging myself out again. As I was digging, a strong gust of wind blew and my bike started coming over on me. I dived out of the way just in time as it came crashing down where I was digging. When it hit the rocks, I heard a sickening cracking sound; the sound of something very hard breaking…

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Eugh! Cliffhanger!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #26
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,603
Love it....
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #27
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Day 4 (continued)

I tried lifting the bike back up, but it was laying on its side on a down-sloped beach, and I just couldn’t lift it on my own. I started to head to the boat to ask for help, but one of the guys, named Ernest, as I would find out, already saw me and waved to me and hopped on the four wheeler. While I was waiting for him, I checked out the bike. There were no oil leaks or obvious signs of any severe damage. However, it was worrying me that the bike was laying at such a slope that the engine was slightly upside down (hard to tell this from the picture). I took off my luggage and Ernest and I hefted the bike up. I again inspected it and couldn’t see any real damage. There were some scrapes on the plastics and engine case, but nothing major. I then looked down at the rocks and saw a large flat rock was split in half. This must have been the source of that sickening cracking sound! However, I was still worried that it wouldn’t start after lying on its side for five minutes. I turned the key, flipped off the kill switch, pulled in the clutch, and pushed the starter button… It fired right up like nothing had ever happened! I revved it a few times and looked for oil leaking and saw none. I was quite relieved at this point. For the next fifteen minutes, Ernest pushed as I worked the throttle and clutch to get my bike off of the beach and back onto the dirt road I had started on.

After parking the bike, I went back to the beach and retrieved my gear and my luggage and got it strapped back on the bike. The only real damage was that the latch that held the rear passenger seat on had bent so that it would no longer hold on. This would have been a big problem for me, as that is what my dry bag is trapped to, except that I had my ratchet straps with me. One cinched down ratchet strap later, and it was good as new (well functionally speaking anyhow).

I then went back to the ship to thank the guys again and grab a few pictures. When I got there, I saw they had the propeller off the boat and about a third of the way up the beach. This thing was massive! It looked much larger once they had it off the ship and on the beach than it did while on the boat. I asked if they needed some help getting it up the beach and they were quite happy to accept my offer… it looked smaller to them on the boat as well.

We eventually wrangled it up the beach, then onto some fiberglass panels from the boat and they hauled it away on the four wheeler. It was getting dark by the time they got it back to their truck. We got the beast loaded onto the bed of their truck somehow. As they were getting the trailer back on the hitch and the four wheeler loaded onto the trailer, the other older (well, he was only ten years older than me… but he wasn’t the teenager) guy, named Reubin (though everyone called him Reub), offered to let me set up my tent in his yard. I gladly accepted the offer. I followed them on my bike and back to his house. He let me park my bike and his car port and then offered to let me set up my cooking set in his garage (he’s a mechanic by trade, so a fully-functioning mechanics garage). Reub actually lived down the street a bit and this was his garage he owned.

It was freezing out (possibly literally so), and no warmer inside the garage. Reub came in and we started bullshitting for a bit while I was making up my food. He then fired up his wood furnace. Wow that felt great! It went from freezing cold to near tropical in about ten minutes. He then asked if I wanted to just throw down my mattress on the floor here instead of staying out in the cold in my tent. I was more than happy to agree to that!

We got to talking and it turns out we had a ton in common. Reub and Ernest are both avid hunters and even guide moose hunts during the moose season! I hunt whitetails and small game back home, so we talked about that for some time. They loved guns and even commented they were a bit jealous of our much more lax gun laws in the US.

Ernest and the teenage boy headed back to their house. The teenage boy, whose name escapes me, was Ernest’s son and Reub’s nephew. Seemed like a very nice kid.

I still had 3/4 of my fifth of vodka left in my pack, so me and Reub stayed up all night drinking mixed drinks of vodka and tang, and exchanging stories. Reub also agreed that the tang and vodka made a great mixed drink! Reub makes his own wine and was quite disappointed he didn’t keep any bottles in his garage to share with me.

My father is an avid license plate collector. He has hundreds of plates, from all the US states and many, many other countries. It turns out that Reub collects license plates as well. When he learned that my father did too, he offered to give me a Newfoundland plate, which I know my father doesn’t have. He owns a small junkyard as well as his garage, so he had tons of old plates lying around. Reub already had a Pennsylvania plate, but he didn’t have a PA motorcycle plate. So, we exchanged addresses and I told him I would send him out an old motorcycle license plate of mine.

I would finally have dry feet the next day. The heat vent made a great place to lay my boots to dry them out.

It was about 2 am when we polished off the last of the vodka. I couldn’t tell if Reub felt as numb as I did, but I was quite schnookered up by this point. He offered me the use of his air compressor to fill up my inflatable mattress. I had only used the mattress one night and decided against using since then, as it is too much of a pain to fill up. Reub walked down the road to his house and left me for the night. This was the first night of this trip that I was actually warm and comfortable for a night’s sleep. I slept very sound that night.

Total mileage for the day: 110 miles

Day 4 route:

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #28
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter View Post
It's not about what your wearing, Max, it's about whats between your ears!!

Have a great adventure.
Uh oh, looks like I might be in trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsquireTed View Post
Subscribed!

Just the trip I hope to take.
Do it! Newfoundland is a spectacular destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dude View Post
Good stuff - keep it coming. I've got the same trip in mind as well. Been all over the rest of the country, but strangely have not been north.
Cool. PM me if you have any questions. If you're planning to go to the rock, stop in at www.ridetherock.com. It's a forum for Newfoundland riders. It proved to be extremely helpful when planning my trip.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #29
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholecop View Post
great report !! after also being caught in the rain and cold for like 1100 miles .i bought my first 4 seasons coat, proper rain paints ,however my water proof work boots do still work fine. but i did invest in heated grips (i can deal with wet hands, just not cold wet hands) and heated jacket liner with pants liner. it wasn't cheep but when your on the kind of trip your on that stuff is worth every penny. good luck !
Proper weatherproof gear will be slowly coming... Too bad all that stuff costs money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Hey Max. Every trip you take you learn more and more about staying comfortable. The first time we met up in Wellsboro earlier this year you had a tent malfunction. Do you remember that one?
That tent was junk. That was the first time I was testing that tent out. It failed, so I don't use it. The tent I used for this trip was a cheap one that packed a bit too large, but it held the water out and worked well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedNewf View Post
Hey Max, I see that your in Lomond Park just off the TCH just south of Rocky Harbor. Nice park, lots of Flies!
On a brighter note the scenery in that area is pretty cool. If your into geology at all, if you continue your ride on the road the park is on, you'll go past Trout River and on to the "Table Lands" Its a pretty wild spot barren of any vegetation and looks like a mars landscape.
I'm sure you have been told of the many sites along the Northern Peninsula up to St. Anthony.
Within the park there's a nice place to stop for a stretch if the weather is nice.
Western brook pond walking trail is a flat easy walk in the the pond and Fjords you can see from the road. There is a large parking lot right off the main highway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:We...Brook_Pond.JPG

I hope the weather improves over on the west coast for you.
The Western Brook Pond walking trail was spectacular.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #30
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
Tang and vodka = Astronaut screwdrivers.

Cool report. I'm trying to decide where to take a trip this summer, and I am thinking of heading to Nova Scotia. Newfoundland will probably have to wait, though.
I love the name!

Nova Scotia was beautiful as well, plus there is the Cabot Trail. I wish I had more time to spend there, but sadly I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
"Total mileage for the day: 212 miles (though this felt more like 2012 miles)"

The wind through Wreckhouse literally blows tractor trailers off of the road.
Yikes! Glad I didn't end up in a ditch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Excellent timing! SCS and I had the maps out last night planning our course.

Great! Have a fun trip.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014