User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
gmiguy OP
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,175
"Professional" labeled watches?

I've seen a bunch of watches recently with the word "Professional" printed on the dial.

I know that there is a detailed and well thought-out ISO standard 6425 that relates to the function and water resistance of watches that say "Diver" on the face. As I understand it the standard is not optional, if a watch is labeled with "Diver" it must meet the standard.

Is there a similar rationale for "Professional" or does the word otherwise indicate something meaningful?

I've not been able to find anything with an online search. If it's just goofball marketing that doesn't actually have a legitimate meaning that'll be kind of lame.

Any ideas either way?
gmiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
it's just goofball marketing that doesn't actually have a legitimate meaning
This.

Professional what? I need a watch for a professional slacker.
Barnstormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,028
The ones you've seen with "Pro" printed on the dial, are they high end or cheaper? What price range are they? Sub $100, or over $1,000?

The "diver" label was misused for years, still is. Just because a watch says "diver" on it does NOT mean it's even watertight! I bought one many years ago, forget what brand it was. But I liked it, until I opened the manual and saw that the 100m water resistant wasn't really 100m water resistant at all. They had a scale in the manual that explained how wet you could get their watches based on the meters listed. Their 100m wasn't recommended to go below about 15' of water! I immediately sent it back! Complete garbage!

My Citizen and Seiko divers have spent numerous hours submerged in salt water. Neither shows any signs of stopping, and are about 11 and 15 years old!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
gmiguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
The ones you've seen with "Pro" printed on the dial, are they high end or cheaper? What price range are they? Sub $100, or over $1,000?

The "diver" label was misused for years, still is. Just because a watch says "diver" on it does NOT mean it's even watertight!
I've seen it on a wide range of styles and prices.

There's no force of law behind it AFAIK, but as per the ISO standard anything labeled as a "Diver's" watch should be compliant with the stricter 6425 standard.

A watch that is just labeled with a depth rating is tested to the less onerous 2281 standard. The requirements in terms of both testing and sampling rate are quite different.

Because of this, there is a real functional difference between a watch that is "200M Water Resistant" and one that is marked "Divers 200M".

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant_mark
Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
I've seen a bunch of watches recently with the word "Professional" printed on the dial.

I know that there is a detailed and well thought-out ISO standard 6425 that relates to the function and water resistance of watches that say "Diver" on the face. As I understand it the standard is not optional, if a watch is labeled with "Diver" it must meet the standard.

Is there a similar rationale for "Professional" or does the word otherwise indicate something meaningful?

I've not been able to find anything with an online search. If it's just goofball marketing that doesn't actually have a legitimate meaning that'll be kind of lame.

Any ideas either way?
I'd like to meet the branch of consumer protection dedicated to policing ISO standards.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,028
I've seen "Divers 200m" on some $79 watches that I know wouldn't survive a 30 minute swim in the pool. There are no enforced standards. Anyone can print anything on the face of a watch.

At one time, a few brands were using "professional" to indicate watches preferred by law enforcement. No telling what it means now though.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #7
gmiguy OP

Agreed, in practice the application of the standards is virtually impossible to police effectivey. I'm sure that for low-cost contract-manufacturer products in particular it's basically the wild west as far as claims and labeling.

I would wager that credible well-known manufacturers with a reputation to worry about are generally compliant with the standards. I really would expect a Citizen "Diver 200M" watch to be made to a higher standard than a Citizen "200M" watch.

But either way, at least in theory there is additonal information that is supposed ot be conveyed by the Diver label. Seems like Professional is just straight-up marketing.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,280
A "diver" watch is supposed to meet applicable ISO standards, I'm not aware of any others apart from the various water resistance standards, 10 meters, 30 meters, 50 meter, 100, 200 that do have certain standards in manuals for water resistance.

My SKX009 is a "diver" while my Alpinist is 20 Bar water resistant. Both should be good for swimming, etc, the 009 is ISO certified as a dive watch.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
Don't know about other brands but I've been reading a lot about Omega moon watches recently, and the development and innovations NASA required of the 321 movement. Certain Speedmasters were given the 'Professiona' designation, while others were not. This is true today as well.

Like the others have said, I do not believe there is a horological definition for 'professional' status
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Do you have some links to the stuff you've been reading? I am feeling the need for a Speedmaster, and would like to educate myself. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Don't know about other brands but I've been reading a lot about Omega moon watches recently, and the development and innovations NASA required of the 321 movement. Certain Speedmasters were given the 'Professiona' designation, while others were not. This is true today as well.

Like the others have said, I do not believe there is a horological definition for 'professional' status

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory View Post
Do you have some links to the stuff you've been reading? I am feeling the need for a Speedmaster, and would like to educate myself. Thank You.
Start here: http://gearpatrol.com/2013/03/06/timekeeping-icon-omega-speedmaster-professional/

then here
http://www.chronomaddox.com/speedy_history_cm.html

WatchTime magazine had a great tutorial as well a few issues ago. Lots of little nuances between the models
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,634
When I got my Omega speedmaster about 10 years ago the omega professional's were significantly more expensive than the non-professionals. The Omega professionals have a better movement. Can't speak for any other brands.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna View Post
When I got my Omega speedmaster about 10 years ago the omega professional's were significantly more expensive than the non-professionals. The Omega professionals have a better movement. Can't speak for any other brands.
My Breitling superocean professional is the same.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
gmiguy OP

Here's an example of the labeling to which I am referring:

Why bother putting that on the dial? What is the viewer/consumer supposed to infer from it?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #15
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Start here: http://gearpatrol.com/2013/03/06/timekeeping-icon-omega-speedmaster-professional/

then here
http://www.chronomaddox.com/speedy_history_cm.html

WatchTime magazine had a great tutorial as well a few issues ago. Lots of little nuances between the models

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: