Oddometer: 5,850
Nice progress bud!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #137
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Sounds like the mix got hot in the truck for some reason. He didn't have to wait to pour did he ? We use to have drivers that would spin the crap out of the mixer while waiting on a pour. They didn't last long. Enjoying following along on your build ,looks like it is going to make a great home.
Must have been hot. Us fixing the blowout didn't take more than 20 minutes- probably a lot less. We looked at the load tickets and they all left the plant and arrived on site in reasonable times- who knows if they rig those- all the times are hand written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Nice progress bud!
Thanks- I'm going to be puttering out there for the next few days. I must have overdone it- my hand has been really bothering me, and started going numb with shooting pains up my arm. Went to the doctor and they said it's carpel tunnel, put me in a brace, and told me to take some time off from work. It's amazing- it was almost instant pain relief the minute they put the brace one. So I'll do what I can do as a one-armed bandit and will be certified bat-shit stir-crazy within 3 days.

Gimme a shout if you wanna meet me out there.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #138
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Might have been some left over from the batch before or was held at the plant before loading . It is in there now ,I really hate drilling concrete.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #139
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post

Thanks- I'm going to be puttering out there for the next few days. I must have overdone it- my hand has been really bothering me, and started going numb with shooting pains up my arm. Went to the doctor and they said it's carpel tunnel, put me in a brace, and told me to take some time off from work. It's amazing- it was almost instant pain relief the minute they put the brace one. So I'll do what I can do as a one-armed bandit and will be certified bat-shit stir-crazy within 3 days.
When I was told to take it easy or I won't be able to hold a cup in my hand I laughed... fast forward few weeks, and I was waking up at night due to the pain in my arm.

Just saying, things get better, but be careful, wear a brace or band at all times, at least for a while. Just in case it's not clear, I want you to finish the house, I'm learning a lot here .

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #140
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,398
Quote:
And then something weird happened- it set up FAST. We had a bitch of a time truing up the walls and finishing the tops. We didn't even get to put in rebar for the next level- couldn't get it in. We'll have to drill for it. I don't know why it set up the way it did, but it was completely unworkable after 1.5 hours. With all the other pours we had an easy and relaxed 3 hours of finishing time. Oh well. I'm lucky to have the ICF guy around- I would have been screwed on my own!

ICF guy doesn't do a slump test before each truck pours??
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #141
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
ICF guy doesn't do a slump test before each truck pours??
Yup- slump was fine. It just cured way too fast.

When are you coming to visit the site?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #142
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
When I was told to take it easy or I won't be able to hold a cup in my hand I laughed... fast forward few weeks, and I was waking up at night due to the pain in my arm.

Just saying, things get better, but be careful, wear a brace or band at all times, at least for a while. Just in case it's not clear, I want you to finish the house, I'm learning a lot here .

Ko
Yeah- I'm not allowed to work (at my job where I get paid to work) because I was "injured" outside of work and I "can't function at 100%" so I'm stuck doing a whole lotta "not much." Some say I may have done a little too much today, and I'm feeling it now. I think I'm gonna take the advice and lay off for a few days. With a little luck I'll be allowed back to work by late next week; I can't stand sitting around.

I dropped my coffee the other morning and it totally freaked me out. Had no control over it. Can't imagine having that problem long term.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #143
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,398
Quote:
Yup- slump was fine. It just cured way too fast.

When are you coming to visit the site?
Funny you start asking right when you are getting to the plumbing/HVAC part.....

I dunno.. working Saturday.. but maybe some apple picking Sunday...

We'll bring some hard cider to the site

Or seeing that you are all gimped up, you guys should come with us.

A-Bone screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 07:18 PM
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #144
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,742
A few years ago, my carpal tunnel got so bad I couldn't clutch the bike anymore. I first developed it back in '85, and waited until it started to affect me in a quality of life threatening way. had the surgery on the left hand in 2007. For the first 6 months I was wondering if it was worth it. Now I wish I could get the right hand done.........

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #145
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Funny you start asking right when you are getting to the plumbing/HVAC part.....

I dunno.. working Saturday.. but maybe some apple picking Sunday...

We'll bring some hard cider to the site

Or seeing that you are all gimped up, you guys should come with us.
Got a wedding on Sunday. E had today off so we kinda picked away at things. With my left arm and her help we got a lot done. Gripping a hammer with my right hand is difficult and/or painful, and trying with my left just looks stupid.

Oh- and Gary the plumber has us covered. HVAC is another question. I have to start talking to the GC about it. We need an air exchanger to start, and I'd like duct work run for central AC even if we don't put it in right now. I imagine there are lots of options. A mini split system won't really work well in this house based on the layout. Easier to describe if you see it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
A few years ago, my carpal tunnel got so bad I couldn't clutch the bike anymore. I first developed it back in '85, and waited until it started to affect me in a quality of life threatening way. had the surgery on the left hand in 2007. For the first 6 months I was wondering if it was worth it. Now I wish I could get the right hand done.........
The thing is that my doctor said it should go away if I go easy on it for a bit, but everyone has been telling me that it doesn't go away on it's own. Kind of a bummer if this doesn't go away.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #146
small_e_900
Amanda carried it

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
The thing is that my doctor said it should go away if I go easy on it for a bit, but everyone has been telling me that it doesn't go away on it's own. Kind of a bummer if this doesn't go away.
Get a cramp buster/throttle rocker for your bike if you're not already using one. Made a world of difference for me.
small_e_900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #147
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:

Some say I may have done a little too much today
The proof is in the pics... and thus far you didn't do anything...

As far as the c.tunnel thingy, for most folks I know, myself included, the trick was in wearing a brace, lots of stretching, and working shorter stints or alternating hands if that's possible. I didn't need surgery, but my best friend did- he was back in couple days, good as new.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #148
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
The proof is in the pics... and thus far you didn't do anything...

As far as the c.tunnel thingy, for most folks I know, myself included, the trick was in wearing a brace, lots of stretching, and working shorter stints or alternating hands if that's possible. I didn't need surgery, but my best friend did- he was back in couple days, good as new.

Ko
There's not much to take pictures of. The temporary decking for the 3rd level is in, along with the mesh and radian tubing, but I didn't do any of it due to the gimp hand. But I watched. Does that count? I could post a close up picture of the second floor tubing and you wouldn't know the difference.

Off to a wedding in Maine today. It'll be nice to not visit the job site for a change. It's been a long time since I went a whole day without being out there.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #149
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Went back to work today. My doctor was reluctant to let me go. He said I'll be right back in his office if I don't give it a break and lay off. He's right, too. I've still got some numbing and nerve pain, but it's better than it was two weeks ago. What set this off in the first place was driving countless screws for bracing. If I can keep away from impact drivers I might be all set.

We scheduled our last concrete pour for Monday, so after we clean up after that we should be done with the heavy work for the time being. The General Contractor is taking over, and we'll just have little odds and ends to deal with at that point.

I'm looking forward to giving concrete countertops a try. I'm even considering a side business if it turns out well and I enjoy it. Pipe dreams- but it's a good distraction from all the other shit I'm dealing with.

Sorry, no pictures. To be honest things don't look a whole lot different. The walls we're pouring are less than 4' and the concrete slab looks just like the two below it. Septic system looks awesome- Black Hill Site and Septic did a fantastic job. Any future dirt work that I can't handle will go to him. I can't get over how meticulous he was getting the loam perfectly sculpted.

We've been pretty lucky on this project *knock on wood* because we've had a stellar group of contractors. All those dopes that didn't return phone calls- well I guess I'm glad they never called back.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #150
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
I'm looking forward to giving concrete countertops a try. I'm even considering a side business if it turns out well and I enjoy it. Pipe dreams- but it's a good distraction from all the other shit I'm dealing with.
My dad did a concrete countertop in one of his rental units. I think it turned out great, except that he mixed in a bag with gravel in it

He spent countless hours buffing it, but I imagine if you can get the fully cured top more polished than what he started out with, or once you do it a few times you can get the hang of it.

being able to mix colors and have and get your 'own' is one of the more appealing aspects of it, IMHO.

Carefully watching your project- I love construction.
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: