Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #151
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
The big question is how we're going to heat this place. Like I said we'd like to throw a couple of solar collectors on the roof to heat the water, but I'm not sure what we're doing for the backup. One company suggested a high-efficiency water heater (Polaris), another suggested a propane boiler, and another suggested a tankless heater. Of course there are heat pumps too, but that gets expensive. This is one area I'd love to get opinions on. I'd also like to run duct work for air conditioning. I don't do well in hot humid weather, plus I think it's good for the house to remove a bit of humidity.

Don't know if you have a heat solution yet, but you might want to see about adding at least one of these Cansolair solar heating panels if you have a good South Facing wall/roof line. Won't eliminate the need for another heat source but it sure as hell will cut down on heating bills. I'm seriously considering one for our place.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me

Night_Wolf screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 03:31 PM
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #152
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,934
Wah.

One of those days. Ask me why I'll NEVER take on ANY portion of building my own house again. We might be stupid enough to build another house someday, and we might be stupid enough to do it out of ICFs, but we're not gonna lay a finger on it. The GC can call us when it's ready for us to move in.

Poured our last floor today and our last set of knee walls. Pretty much the easiest pours we've had to do. Had a pump truck for all of it.

We had a major blowout and lost half a yard of concrete. Not just out on the floor- but down all the way to the basement because the blowout happened in the stairwell.

Then the knee walls started caving in because my bracing wasn't adequate. Real pisser because everyone involved thought it was "overdone" including the guy who laid it out for me. Managed to fix everything, but one of the short walls bowed in a bit when we weren't watching it and now it's permanently fucked. I'm pretty god damned mad about it but there's no changing it and I'm sure we'll find a way to deal with it. Worse things could happen.

I had a cigarette today.

No more pouring for us. It's ready for a roof, windows, siding, etc, and thank our lucky stars the GC is doing all that. I'm not going out to the job site for at least 3 days.

Any of you locals wanna grab a beer? I'll be around.

Oh- and there's a lurker out there getting married this weekend. Enjoy it, dude.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #153
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
parents built an ICF house but more of a bungalow style. High efficiency water heater for radiant floor heat. Their flooring is cork so it insulates a little . Don't know if that could be combined with the solar

Their primary for the winter is a high efficiency wood stove.....one of the really small ones. Like one that you would throw in a cabin.....thats all it needs though. He uses a very small amount of wood vs the cords of wood needed for the old house which was also small. Between the construction and no hvac it is amazingly quiet and helps out with my mother who has sinus issues brought on by dust blowing around.

Maybe I lucked out but have a newer 3400 sq foot house house thats insulated decently and my utilities go from $75 in the summer to a max of $180 in the winter so it hasn't been a huge concern. I've heard of people paying $400-500 for utilities and thats crazy to me
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #154
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I built a two story shop/barn about seven years ago with in floor radiant heat. I'm using a wall mount propane fired tankless boiler for heat. It's made by Takagi. What an amazing unit. Comes with a digital control panel that monitors the incoming water temp, the outgoing water temp, the gallons per minute flow, and you are able to adjust the temperature of the water. No problems at all. Except for the propane Company which wants to make monthly deliveries and can't figure why I'm using so little gas. Judging from the size of your house , the smallest of their units should be more than adequate to heat your house.
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #155
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Hambro

I took a quick look on Hambro's website, and read a pdf I found online on residential concrete floor systems, but I did not find mention of the use of an insulating foam layer which I see you have. How did that tie in with the "rollbar" cross pieces and plywood "forms"? Did you leave your plywood in place or remove it? Also, out of curiosity, how thick was your groundfloor insulation layer? Cheers.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #156
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
I took a quick look on Hambro's website, and read a pdf I found online on residential concrete floor systems, but I did not find mention of the use of an insulating foam layer which I see you have. How did that tie in with the "rollbar" cross pieces and plywood "forms"? Did you leave your plywood in place or remove it? Also, out of curiosity, how thick was your groundfloor insulation layer? Cheers.
The only place we put foam under the slab was in the basement. Since it's slab on grade we didn't use the Hambro system.

There's 3" of foam under that slab, for what it's worth.

For the temporary bracing I used Advantec T&G. It's what the GC wants to use for roof sheathing, and I took great care in putting it in (and covered with plastic so it wouldn't be in direct contact with wet concrete). Essentially any pieces that survive 2 pours in decent shape can be reused for our roof. So yes, we do remove the temporary decking. It's a pain in the ass, too.

When the plywood (or whatever) lays in between the Hambro joists, a portion of the joists sticks up a little over an inch. It's got an "S" curve in it that ties in with the concrete.

I'll see if I have any close up pictures- but I kinda doubt it.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #157
matloik
kludge

Quote:
The only place we put foam under the slab was in the basement. Since it's slab on grade we didn't use the Hambro system.

There's 3" of foam under that slab, for what it's worth.

For the temporary bracing I used Advantec T&G. It's what the GC wants to use for roof sheathing, and I took great care in putting it in (and covered with plastic so it wouldn't be in direct contact with wet concrete). Essentially any pieces that survive 2 pours in decent shape can be reused for our roof. So yes, we do remove the temporary decking. It's a pain in the ass, too.

When the plywood (or whatever) lays in between the Hambro joists, a portion of the joists sticks up a little over an inch. It's got an "S" curve in it that ties in with the concrete.

I'll see if I have any close up pictures- but I kinda doubt it.
Got it, thanks. So what I saw was the plastic--I thought that was foam board. Too bad the Hambro doesn't provide for or allow insulating foam. I will want to separate lower and upper floors with insulation.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #158
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Got it, thanks. So what I saw was the plastic--I thought that was foam board. Too bad the Hambro doesn't provide for or allow insulating foam. I will want to separate lower and upper floors with insulation.
For our span they offered the choice of 12" or 14" joists. Either way, plenty of space for some insulation if you feel the need.

I checked out another ICF house with Hambro floors and the owner had his son dribble a basketball in his room. I could hear him doing it, but it was quite muffled, and the owner didn't put any insulation in. I don't think we'll have the need to, so we probably won't.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #159
matloik
kludge

Our upper and lower floors will be separate heating zones. My wife and I will essentially live in the main upper level, with the lower level vacant except for the infrequent visitor. I'd want to add more R-value than concrete provides. The sound-proofing qualities of concrete are great also! I wasn't really planning doing ICF ... but now you have me thinking of perhaps doing the lower half of the house, as it would allow for a concrete floor on the upper level, which we really want, without the need for extra structural support--the concrete walls of the ICF of course provide that.

Quote:
For our span they offered the choice of 12" or 14" joists. Either way, plenty of space for some insulation if you feel the need.

I checked out another ICF house with Hambro floors and the owner had his son dribble a basketball in his room. I could hear him doing it, but it was quite muffled, and the owner didn't put any insulation in. I don't think we'll have the need to, so we probably won't.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #160
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Our upper and lower floors will be separate heating zones. My wife and I will essentially live in the main upper level, with the lower level vacant except for the infrequent visitor. I'd want to add more R-value than concrete provides. The sound-proofing qualities of concrete are great also! I wasn't really planning doing ICF ... but now you have me thinking of perhaps doing the lower half of the house, as it would allow for a concrete floor on the upper level, which we really want, without the need for extra structural support--the concrete walls of the ICF of course provide that.
I would give serious consideration to it. Call at least two local ICF suppliers and bend their ear. Don't let anyone tell you that it's "easy." There is a lot more to it that meets the eye and we didn't really know what we were getting into. If you want more detail send me a PM- I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone about it.

In terms of residential suspended slabs, also look into Ecospan. Overall I'm "satisfied" with Hambro, but I'm going to give ecospan a look if there's a next time.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #161
matloik
kludge

Quote:
I would give serious consideration to it. Call at least two local ICF suppliers and bend their ear. Don't let anyone tell you that it's "easy." There is a lot more to it that meets the eye and we didn't really know what we were getting into. If you want more detail send me a PM- I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone about it.

In terms of residential suspended slabs, also look into Ecospan. Overall I'm "satisfied" with Hambro, but I'm going to give ecospan a look if there's a next time.
Thanks. Yeah, most initially think this ICF construction is easy--you erect these styrofoam blocks together and pour cement in. I've learned there's much more to it. I watched a few projects go up, and I've talked with a couple installers. It is also 'different' from the perspective of other subs--plumbers and electricians, e.g. It's not necessarily more difficult for them to deal with, but it's different than the stick-built they are used to working with. I'd think they might on average bump up their bids for those jobs to cover some uncertainty.

Look forward to continuing to follow along.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #162
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

A few pictures

With only inches to spare, we were able to hoist the power trowel up to the third level slab. Good thing those are only 3' walls.
From September 19, 2012

Not the greatest picture, but an "after" of the leachfield. He took his time and got it perfect. Right now it's the nicest looking land we've got.
From September 19, 2012
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #163
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Is it done yet?

Looks like you are making good progress. Hopefully I will get to check in on construction when I am back in NH around Christmas.

If you want to save space in the basement, those Rinnai wall hung boilers are pretty impressive pieces of equipment. They aren't cheap though, but they take up waaaay less space than a conventional boiler and they have a ton of features, including a really nifty display with a bunch of options. I don't recall how they would do heating domestic hot water though. I'll check into it if you want. Though, like I told you before, I bet you could heat that place by just putting incandescent light bulbs in all the fixtures. I bet the central air will be a breeze too (pun not intended) with how well insulated that place is, as well as the chase you have going from the basement to the attic.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #164
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

The deck is being built!!! They've got it framed up and they're gonna start on the footings soon.

Well people put the pump in and pulled the wiring into the house. I'm pretty psyched to almost have running water. Camping with amenities will soon be a possibility!

It's so great to be onto the phase where someone else is doing the majority of the work.

Edit: What happened to my pictures?!?! Sorry guys it'll be a day or two before I can retake them.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #165
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Is it done yet?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: