User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #166
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I just found (and caught up) with your thread. I've enjoyed it so far, it's actually got me motivated to get off my ass and start working on my own project

My wife and I (and 7 week old boy) are planning on building a new home on our land in Alton. I've learned a good bit from your thread already and subscribing so I can come back and reread it when I'm doing some planning. We wanna build a timber frame home with SIPS but may be knocked back down to reality after I meet with some builders in the next couple months I was half assed thinking of using ICF's for the walkout basement since we want to eventually finish it.

It seems like you've been lucky with the contractors you chose, I wish I was a little bit closer cause I could use some recommendations near me!

That excavator looks like it could be pretty handy for me when your done with it.

I might have missed it, but what Woodstock stove did you buy? I got a fireview about 3 yrs ago after TONS of research and couldn't be happier.

If you wind up with a whole bunch of stumps to grind, let me know, I have a 3 pt hitch beast of a stump grinder and would be happy to help (for a few beers of course). But then again, you DO have an excavator
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #167
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I just found (and caught up) with your thread. I've enjoyed it so far, it's actually got me motivated to get off my ass and start working on my own project

My wife and I (and 7 week old boy) are planning on building a new home on our land in Alton. I've learned a good bit from your thread already and subscribing so I can come back and reread it when I'm doing some planning. We wanna build a timber frame home with SIPS but may be knocked back down to reality after I meet with some builders in the next couple months I was half assed thinking of using ICF's for the walkout basement since we want to eventually finish it.

It seems like you've been lucky with the contractors you chose, I wish I was a little bit closer cause I could use some recommendations near me!

That excavator looks like it could be pretty handy for me when your done with it.

I might have missed it, but what Woodstock stove did you buy? I got a fireview about 3 yrs ago after TONS of research and couldn't be happier.

If you wind up with a whole bunch of stumps to grind, let me know, I have a 3 pt hitch beast of a stump grinder and would be happy to help (for a few beers of course). But then again, you DO have an excavator
Howdy. Come up and visit anytime.

As far as SIPS- we found them to be prohibitively expensive. But we didn't shop around much. For what it's worth, ICFs were also prohibitively expensive until we did some shopping and found our guy. He already traveled 1.5 hours one way to get to us- I doubt he'd be up for traveling to your site.

Like I said- I'd highly recommend considering ICFs, but for the love of god hire it out. We really didn't save much money by chipping in, and it would have been nice to hand the headache to someone else.

No stump grinding- I just rip them out and throw them.

I think I'm gonna put a "for sale" sign on the excavator soon. Need a tractor.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #168
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Then the knee walls started caving in because my bracing wasn't adequate. Real pisser because everyone involved thought it was "overdone" including the guy who laid it out for me. Managed to fix everything, but one of the short walls bowed in a bit when we weren't watching it and now it's permanently fucked. I'm pretty god damned mad about it but there's no changing it and I'm sure we'll find a way to deal with it. Worse things could happen.
Make it a feature. Great conversation piece. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #169
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Howdy. Come up and visit anytime.

I think I'm gonna put a "for sale" sign on the excavator soon. Need a tractor.
Ahhh, maybe a trade?

...although, no backhoe.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #170
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

OK. Things are moving along nicely!

I'm gonna just lump all the photos at the end.

Like I mentioned before the GC came in to get started on the deck. It's all framed up and ready for decking, which is going to be Merante- a variety of Mahogany. Seen it on another deck and it's stunning. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, so we'll get a look at it. Maybe. The local lumber supplier has been pretty terrible with timely deliveries lately.

Then they moved on to stick framing the top half of the 3rd floor. Since the walls were so screwed up it took a lot to make it right. No close up pictures. It's too embarassing. Let's just say they're doing an awesome job making mistakes go away.

Today we flew in the trusses for the 8-12 pitched shed dormers and the small section over the office. Crane operator was a real cowboy, but nobody lost any extremities, and we were done in record time. In fact the wife is working on the youtube video right now. I served as hooker. It was entertaining chatting with the operator (I used to run a boom truck in Montana) sharing battle stories and watching the guys Monkey around on the roof.

I took a truckload of scrap material to the dump while the crew sheathed everything and finished out the day enjoying the banter as they finished. Fun group- wish I could be out there everyday.

From October 11, 2012

From October 11, 2012

From October 11, 2012

From October 11, 2012

From October 11, 2012

adam_c_eckhardt screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 04:35 PM
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #171
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
Ahhh, maybe a trade?

...although, no backhoe.

He doesn't need a backhoe, he'll just break a water line or something.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #172
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Ahhh, maybe a trade?

...although, no backhoe.
That's actually pretty close to what I want- only I want a different style grapple, and no stump grinder. Looking at the L3440. I'm thinking of living without a backhoe. For the roughly $8000 they cost I could just rent one and not have the thing taking up space.
Also want:
box grader
brush hog
quick attach angle plow

Gotta get the Deere sold first.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #173
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
He doesn't need a backhoe, he'll just break a water line or something.

If there's one thing I know how to do- it's fix a broken water line.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #174
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yeah,true enough, but I've heard what you do to a power broom.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #175
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

House is coming along well! Progress is a great thing.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #176
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Yeah,true enough, but I've heard what you do to a power broom.
Being a government worker is awesome. You (yes, literally you in this case) pay for a powerbroom. Government worker runs over power broom and doesn't have to pay for it. Government worker keeps job.

The highway supervisor jokingly asked me what I think my punishment should be. I seriously said, "Time off without pay until the cost of the repair is covered by saved payroll." Unfortunately they didn't take me up on that. Oh well. Vote for Ovide.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #177
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Being a government worker is awesome. You (yes, literally you in this case) pay for a powerbroom. Government worker runs over power broom and doesn't have to pay for it. Government worker keeps job.

The highway supervisor jokingly asked me what I think my punishment should be. I seriously said, "Time off without pay until the cost of the repair is covered by saved payroll." Unfortunately they didn't take me up on that. Oh well. Vote for Ovide.
OK, yer killing me man. Once I pay for my power broom, I expect you'll come use it to clean up my lawn.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #178
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,398
I was about to post a snarky reply about "where's the updates?" today..... thanks!
Looks good, and is quite inspiring as it's not a construction technique seen around here very often but would suit a bush site I have in mind. One question, why the short timber walls to the upper storey, why not carry the ICF construction up that last metre (yard)?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #179
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I was about to post a snarky reply about "where's the updates?" today..... thanks!
Looks good, and is quite inspiring as it's not a construction technique seen around here very often but would suit a bush site I have in mind. One question, why the short timber walls to the upper storey, why not carry the ICF construction up that last metre (yard)?
Good question. Quite simply- there are a whole mess of windows that go in that space, and we weren't sure of the exact rough openings. That stick framing is still 11 inches (same as the ICFs) so we should be able to get the same insulation values. As for the gable ends- again we weren't sure the exact window opening or positions, and we figured that the work that goes into an ICF wall with a slanted top just wasn't worth it.

And the band played on.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #180
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Well we've got our first (and hopefully last) contractor issue.

The guy who set up the "experiment" to pour the walls and floor at the same time for the last pour is annoyed that I haven't paid him for the last bit of work. I'll start the story by saying I had checkbook in hand trying to pay him several weeks ago in person.

He said he couldn't accept any money because it didn't turn out well, and that it was a "good will gesture" in exchange for a good reference and word of mouth. "Fine" I said, "but I feel like I owe you for the few days you put in that weren't a part of that bad pour." He still refused the money.

A week later I got a bill. And a note about friendship and fairness and he said he'd leave it up to me to decide what I owed him. ($2800 is what he said his labor added up to for the last bit, also keep in mind I've paid out over $10,000 in labor to him already). I asked him if he could correct the mistake to make everything plumb and true. He bluntly said, "Cured concrete doesn't move." So, I'm stuck fixing it myself (I'm NOT a finish carpenter) or to have the general contractor's crew fix it. I thought the fair thing to do was get the GC to bill out his time for fixing everything (all the walls are at least 2 inches bowed in, and none are level) and subtract it from the $2800 that the first guy billed. Anyone think I'm looking at this wrong? The last thing he wrote was, "I summize [sic] that you've decided not to pay me for the last bit making me fully responsible for a walls that I had nothing to do with bracing." This is what really set me off because he came up with the bracing plan himself and I carried it out using every last brace he had on site. He went on to blame me for changing his business plan to no longer work with homeowners.

This is a real bummer because we got along famously and I was 110% satisfied with his work up until that last disaster. The results of that pour are blatantly obvious to everyone who comes on site and I can't wait for it to be covered up. I also think it took a LOT of balls for the guy to refuse money in person and then send a bill a week later. Don't even get me started on how wound up my wife is- she's really hot over this. I told him dozens of times, "It's not about the money, it's about the end result. I'm happy to pay every penny for a satisfactory end result."

We have a great relationship going with the general contractor and he's got loads of local references that hire him for repeat work. I just want to continue the good relationship with the GC- it's an enjoyable working experience.

Am I out of line? Let me know if I'm being a dick.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: