Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #196
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
That looks pretty cool- never seen or heard of that before!

I'm curious as to how they did interior structural elements- specifically the floor system.

I'll bet that place heats with a candle.
The thermal mass is huge with a ridiculous insulation rating. It has a boiler/radiant heat system, as well as a wood stove for heat, but you are right, it stays incredibly cool in the summer and holds heat unbelievably in the winter. It is also, literally, quiet as a cave inside.

You can do anything you want with SCIP... Second level floors, roof structures, stairs, interior walls etc. For cost reasons, just the exterior walls and all vertical structure are SCIP. The shotcrete is smooth troweled and whitewashed as the finish on the inside of the exterior walls.

The first floor is concrete slab, stained/polished as the finish floor. The second floor is conventional trus-joist with cork on top, sheet rock underneath. The roof is engineered trusses with sprayed-in foam for insulation and a standing seam metal roof. The few interior partition walls in the home are conventional stick frame and sheetrock.

One of the cool things about SCIP is that there are no structural posts and no structural steel beams. If you need a column for support, you just whack one up out of the foam panels and spray it. If you look at the photo below, you'll see the ledger board just bolted to the foam panels... Once the concrete is sprayed, that is the supporting structure. No steel posts, no wood columns. The floor joists are just hung on that ledger board. The interior partition walls do provide some additional structural support, but again only because they were chosen instead of SCIP for some cost control.

Same for the roof. The trusses just sit on a 2x top plate that sits on top of the SCIP panels.

A few more shots showing the interior partition walls, insulation, and roof trusses.

pfb screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 05:27 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #197
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Two more thoughts...

To make you feel a bit less 'unlucky', I'll share with you that on the SCIP build, we had an entire wall blow out during a windstorm before the shot-crete was put in.

Since the top shotcrete layer is also the interior finish and exterior color coat, you need to pretty much build the foam walls with *everything* before you shoot *anything*, including windows, doors, roof trusses, soffits, etc.. A 30' high foam wall, held in place by some bracing, strapping, and hog rings tying the mesh on the panels together. Well the big bad wind wolf huffed and puffed and blew out an entire wall just before it was ready for shotcrete. Whoops! Order new windows, fix up the panels and put them back in place, and only a week or two of schedule delay!

Also, on the railing, a site-built jig, cheap square steel tubing, and a cheap mig welder yielded up some pretty nice 'custom' steel deck railings. If you pay some custom steel fabricator to make them, they will cost a fortune, but a GC with even modest welding skill should be able to whack them up for very low cost.... These were just finished with an oxidizer. No expensive powder coating or tedious paint.

pfb screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 05:56 PM
Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #198
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Two more thoughts...

To make you feel a bit less 'unlucky', I'll share with you that on the SCIP build, we had an entire wall blow out during a windstorm before the shot-crete was put in.

Since the top shotcrete layer is also the interior finish and exterior color coat, you need to pretty much build the foam walls with *everything* before you shoot *anything*, including windows, doors, roof trusses, soffits, etc.. A 30' high foam wall, held in place by some bracing, strapping, and hog rings tying the mesh on the panels together. Well the big bad wind wolf huffed and puffed and blew out an entire wall just before it was ready for shotcrete. Whoops! Order new windows, fix up the panels and put them back in place, and only a week or two of schedule delay!

Also, on the railing, a site-built jig, cheap square steel tubing, and a cheap mig welder yielded up some pretty nice 'custom' steel deck railings. If you pay some custom steel fabricator to make them, they will cost a fortune, but a GC with even modest welding skill should be able to whack them up for very low cost.... These were just finished with a patina oxidizer. No expensive powder coating or tedious paint.

Yeah- I've learned that so far we've had it easy compared to others. A wall full of windows destroyed? Yeah I'd be pretty pissed. Our windows are due in the next week or two- Some are quite large- I'm hoping for no mishaps.

So the idea for deck railing that the GC came up with (he did this on the last deck he built and said it turned out pretty slick- we're going to check it out tomorrow) is posts made out of the same material as the decking. He'll cap the posts in the same material, but he'll drill horizontal holes in the posts and use black iron pipe. He said it's a unique look, and the black pipe has a tendency to "blend in" as you're looking through it or at it from a distance, giving a more open airy look. He said we could go really crazy and bring a similar look to our interior stairs. I think it's a neat idea for our style home, which is sort of a "contemporary cottage" deal. At least that's what my wife keeps calling it, and now the builder has agreed with her and is doing the same. I'm just along for the ride.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #199
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
...use black iron pipe. He said it's a unique look, and the black pipe has a tendency to "blend in"...
Seen that done too, it can look nice if done well. Around here though, building code requires no spaces larger than 4" and 36" high, so you would need seven horizontal pipes plus the top rail. And since deflection is a factor in the code test (basically, can the inspector jam a 4" round ball through the railing), you can't run too wide with the iron pipe so you need to have wooden posts at least every ~6'. I also don't like it if the railing pipes spin inside the wood. Makes it feel a bit unfinished to me...

pfb screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 06:24 PM
Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #200
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Looks like the excavator is sold. There's a guy that's apparently bringing me money tomorrow. I'll miss the old girl. Saved us a lot of money.

The crew has been doing an awesome job with the roof framing. It's all sheathed, and most of it has paper on it now. It'll be weather-tight soon. Now that there are overhangs, it's really starting to take shape and we can start to see the "character" that we were so attracted to in the drawings.

If I make it out to the site this weekend I'll get some pictures.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #201
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Looks like the excavator is sold. There's a guy that's apparently bringing me money tomorrow. I'll miss the old girl. Saved us a lot of money.

The crew has been doing an awesome job with the roof framing. It's all sheathed, and most of it has paper on it now. It'll be weather-tight soon. Now that there are overhangs, it's really starting to take shape and we can start to see the "character" that we were so attracted to in the drawings.

If I make it out to the site this weekend I'll get some pictures.
OK, I'm out of jail from rubbing the mods down in CS&M the wrong way, go figure!

You may want to check the building codes (if there are any) and also with your insurance carrier. You'd be surprised how the home owners insurance can and will regulate your railings, if you dare ask. I mention this from my own experience. It would be a pain in the ass to build the railing you want only to find out it does not meet code or your insurance makes you change it. Better to do it once.

So, with the excavator sold you can buy a tractor now?

Good to get the roof dried in with some weather on the way for Monday.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #202
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
OK, I'm out of jail from rubbing the mods down in CS&M the wrong way, go figure!

You may want to check the building codes (if there are any) and also with your insurance carrier. You'd be surprised how the home owners insurance can and will regulate your railings, if you dare ask. I mention this from my own experience. It would be a pain in the ass to build the railing you want only to find out it does not meet code or your insurance makes you change it. Better to do it once.

So, with the excavator sold you can buy a tractor now?

Good to get the roof dried in with some weather on the way for Monday.
No comment on the mods. I don't want a vacation.

Dude- it's in Canaan. You can paint a cardboard box hot pink and throw a mailbox up at the street and they're cool with it.

Excavator isn't sold till I've got the money. Actually E is going to meet the guy at the bank tomorrow, so I'll never see the money. If I come home to find some new art on the walls I'll know what happened.

And yes- I'm hoping to tractor shop this weekend. I'll see how bad I can work Townline on their pricing.

Stop by for a visit- it looks a lot different.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #203
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Hired the septic guy to come back to finish the driveway and build another retaining wall below the deck. He did a great job before so I am pleased to have him back. It's something I could have done, but it's a matter of time, which I can't seem to find enough of lately. He can also do it better and faster than I can.

The excavator is technically sold- money is in the bank, but the new owner hasn't picked it up yet.

I went tractor shopping, found a great buy on a 37 horsepower Kubota, and then the wife vetoed that saying, "Do we really need a tractor?" I told her that I hope she enjoys gathering firewood with wheelbarrow and shoveling 300 feet of driveway this winter. And I also pointed out that when I said, "OK I'm selling the excavator so we can buy a tractor" it would have been a prime time to say she didn't want a tractor. Marriage.

Got all the trim painted this weekend- the crew is going to start on the soffets and trim this week and it'll be ready for the standing seam pretty soon. Windows due in later this week.

Progress is good. I imagine I'll have some good pictures in the next week or two depending on how this storm affects us.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #204
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hired the septic guy to come back to finish the driveway and build another retaining wall below the deck. He did a great job before so I am pleased to have him back. It's something I could have done, but it's a matter of time, which I can't seem to find enough of lately. He can also do it better and faster than I can.

The excavator is technically sold- money is in the bank, but the new owner hasn't picked it up yet.

I went tractor shopping, found a great buy on a 37 horsepower Kubota, and then the wife vetoed that saying, "Do we really need a tractor?" I told her that I hope she enjoys gathering firewood with wheelbarrow and shoveling 300 feet of driveway this winter. And I also pointed out that when I said, "OK I'm selling the excavator so we can buy a tractor" it would have been a prime time to say she didn't want a tractor. Marriage.

Got all the trim painted this weekend- the crew is going to start on the soffets and trim this week and it'll be ready for the standing seam pretty soon. Windows due in later this week.

Progress is good. I imagine I'll have some good pictures in the next week or two depending on how this storm affects us.
You squared away out there for the weather that is coming?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #205
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,793
I'm thinking that the concrete portion of the house is OK, but the wood frame section is either gone or severely damaged. It could be a few days until Adam can get back here to update us. Until then I'm sure he and his family are in many peoples hopes and prayers.........

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #206
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
I'm thinking that the concrete portion of the house is OK, but the wood frame section is either gone or severely damaged. It could be a few days until Adam can get back here to update us. Until then I'm sure he and his family are in many peoples hopes and prayers.........
Aw crap
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #207
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that he has been busy with storm prep and clean up being a city employee and all. We didn't get hit all that hard and given he lives a few streets up from me (at present), I suspect that he will be back at it before long.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #208
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:

All is good. A few hemlocks blew over, but nothing major. One small tree across the driveway but a neighbor took care of that.

Contractor pulled the crew for a few days to do indoor work at another project. They'll be back to work on ours tomorrow.

On the other hand a lot of my friends and family in NJ are having a rough go of it.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #209
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:

All is good. A few hemlocks blew over, but nothing major. One small tree across the driveway but a neighbor took care of that.

Contractor pulled the crew for a few days to do indoor work at another project. They'll be back to work on ours tomorrow.

On the other hand a lot of my friends and family in NJ are having a rough go of it.
That's great new., A friend in back there really got the crap beat out of his house, but he was smart enough to have insurance.

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #210
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,996
Quote:

Sorry for the folks in NJ....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: