Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #286
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Rick suggested those as well. I just wonder if they'll actually get used. Nothing I charge has a USB charger for it; I'd have to go out and buy one. Do iphones come with one? New macbooks? ipads?

Also- do you have an opinion on undercabinet lighting? We've got two suggests from Rick and the cabinet maker... You could be the tie-breaker..
I love LED tape under cabinets, especially if you have darker countertops. I hate the flourescent and xenon lamps though. The LED tape gives it a more balanced illumination so you don't have as much of a spotlight effect on the counters. Everyone we have installed it for absolutely loves it, including myself. I also love the stuff in hallways as nightlights. If you drop the crown molding down an inch or so, you can lay LED tape in the opening and it gives hallways a nice glow at night so you don't stub your toes. Just do a google search for "led tape under cabinet lighting" and you'll see what I mean. Just gorgeous stuff, and it is pretty easy to install.

As far as the USB receptacles go, just about all phones and tablets use them. Someday you will graduate to a real phone, and will need to keep it charged, so those receptacles will be super handy since you don't need the bricks taking up an outlet.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #287
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
I love LED tape under cabinets, especially if you have darker countertops. I hate the flourescent and xenon lamps though. The LED tape gives it a more balanced illumination so you don't have as much of a spotlight effect on the counters. Everyone we have installed it for absolutely loves it, including myself. I also love the stuff in hallways as nightlights. If you drop the crown molding down an inch or so, you can lay LED tape in the opening and it gives hallways a nice glow at night so you don't stub your toes. Just do a google search for "led tape under cabinet lighting" and you'll see what I mean. Just gorgeous stuff, and it is pretty easy to install.

As far as the USB receptacles go, just about all phones and tablets use them. Someday you will graduate to a real phone, and will need to keep it charged, so those receptacles will be super handy since you don't need the bricks taking up an outlet.
+1 on all this. Also, if you want a cleaner look on the cabinets with out a valence to hide the lights, the tape fits nicely in a 5/8 W x 1/4" deep dado.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #288
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,917
Had to go find these photos that I stumbled on somewhere years ago. Never worked on anything this big myself:

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #289
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Apologies if I missed it, but how are you finishing the concrete floors? I'm busy designing our house and managed to convince the wife concrete floors (and ICFs) were the way to go trying to be as energy efficient and as easy on the heating bill as possible, but didn't have the answers for how to make them look good.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #290
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
Apologies if I missed it, but how are you finishing the concrete floors? I'm busy designing our house and managed to convince the wife concrete floors (and ICFs) were the way to go trying to be as energy efficient and as easy on the heating bill as possible, but didn't have the answers for how to make them look good.
The GC recommended just putting a concrete sealer down. I'm thinking about getting an acid staining kit, which are readily available online. I've actually gotta start looking into that again.

Good luck with your project. I just got out of the bath showroom with the wife ordering fixtures, etc and have had my fill of that.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #291
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The GC recommended just putting a concrete sealer down. I'm thinking about getting an acid staining kit, which are readily available online. I've actually gotta start looking into that again.

Good luck with your project. I just got out of the bath showroom with the wife ordering fixtures, etc and have had my fill of that.
Please, please, please tell me you put a panasonic heat/fan/light in the master bath and have some sort of radiant in the floors. Please!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #292
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Please, please, please tell me you put a panasonic heat/fan/light in the master bath and have some sort of radiant in the floors. Please!!!
Dude- I'm smarter than I look.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #293
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
... how are you finishing the concrete floors? ... didn't have the answers for how to make them look good.
Quote:
The GC recommended just putting a concrete sealer down. I'm thinking about getting an acid staining kit, which are readily available online ...
Not to thread jack, but staining them is pretty nice.

That's my old apartment -- we had stained concrete floors throughout. Looked really good, but we didn't have the in-floor heating, so the floors would get COLD in the morning! Rugs were definitely a good investment.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #294
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Dude- I'm smarter than I look.
Good taste is strong in this one obi-wan, minus the flip phone that is. Get with the century, dood.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #295
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Get with the century, dood.
Get off my lawn!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #296
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Not to thread jack, but staining them is pretty nice.

That's my old apartment -- we had stained concrete floors throughout. Looked really good, but we didn't have the in-floor heating, so the floors would get COLD in the morning! Rugs were definitely a good investment.
Yes, I like that look.

Did you do that yourself or was it like that when you moved in? Just curious if you have any details....
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #297
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I like that look.

Did you do that yourself or was it like that when you moved in? Just curious if you have any details....
Me too, all

Adam, is your boiler oil fired, natural gas or propane? Its my biggest conundrum (other than keeping the wife happy) on this design process. We don't have natural gas, and presently heat with oil, so part of me says better the devil you know but oil keeps getting more and more expensive. Not sure about propane, but a buddy of mine said its even more expensive. Just curious what your choice and reasoning was?

While I'm pestering you for information, did you do a lot of research into which ICF to use? I had myself convinced that the ARXX system was the slickest, but now I've discovered Quad Lock blocks. The QL's come with separate in/outside blocks with plastic webbing that snaps over top. More work and $$$ to put together but they allow you to vary the thickness of the foam so that you can put almost 6" on the outside and 2 3/4" on the inside. I'm up in BC and keeping well insulated for winter is top priority. I realize that the concrete slows down the heat transfer but I figure that especially at night I want the heat in the concrete radiating back into the house not out of it and if the insulation on either side of the concrete is the same than the colder outside would force the heat to travel out not back in. At least that's what I think, would much appreciate your thoughts on this too. Thx.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #298
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Me too, all

Adam, is your boiler oil fired, natural gas or propane? Its my biggest conundrum (other than keeping the wife happy) on this design process. We don't have natural gas, and presently heat with oil, so part of me says better the devil you know but oil keeps getting more and more expensive. Not sure about propane, but a buddy of mine said its even more expensive. Just curious what your choice and reasoning was?

While I'm pestering you for information, did you do a lot of research into which ICF to use? I had myself convinced that the ARXX system was the slickest, but now I've discovered Quad Lock blocks. The QL's come with separate in/outside blocks with plastic webbing that snaps over top. More work and $$$ to put together but they allow you to vary the thickness of the foam so that you can put almost 6" on the outside and 2 3/4" on the inside. I'm up in BC and keeping well insulated for winter is top priority. I realize that the concrete slows down the heat transfer but I figure that especially at night I want the heat in the concrete radiating back into the house not out of it and if the insulation on either side of the concrete is the same than the colder outside would force the heat to travel out not back in. At least that's what I think, would much appreciate your thoughts on this too. Thx.
They come out about the same right now with cost/million BTU. It really depends on whether you already have the tank or not for propane though. I prefer cooking with gas appliances (traitor to the trade ), so I would lean towards gas stove, gas dryer, gas boiler, etc. What do you have for a setup now?

Hey Adam, I need more pictures. How about some snapshots of the main floor, kitchen layout, and upstairs? I remember the footprint somewhat, but ya'll had just poured the floor for the main level when I saw it, so the concept in my head may be off. Then again, there is a 90% chance I will be seeing it in the next month and a 1/2 anyways
Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #299
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Quote:
They come out about the same right now with cost/million BTU. It really depends on whether you already have the tank or not for propane though. I prefer cooking with gas appliances (traitor to the trade ), so I would lean towards gas stove, gas dryer, gas boiler, etc. What do you have for a setup now?
I heat with oil right now, everything else is electric. At the moment, electric is cheaper than propane here but I doubt that will last. So really all I have is the oil tank which isn't much. I like the idea of propane in that I could get a big tank and fill it in the summer when theoretically the propane is cheaper. Certainly oil does not seem to be cheaper in the summer. Still need to check into that theory though. Also, we get a lot of power outages so I will be wiring in a back up generator. Again these can run of propane or oil but I would think the propane will be quieter and less smell from the exhaust. Come to think of it I better check if its ok with the powers to be to have a generator hooked up to your home propane. Plus, the more stuff I get off the electric the more I can keep the whole house going with even a mid sized generator, which appeals to me. All this really is making me second guess whether to build or move.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #300
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Glue down cork tiles are easy to DIY, cheap, and make the concrete much more user friendly to walk and drop things on.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: