Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #391
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Very cool. Are the floors not in the kitchen yet, or do you have some sort of cover over them? How long do you think you'll spend grinding the counters, all told?

Are you doing the tile in the bathrooms, too? I see that someone is using kerdi there. That stuff is not as easy as it looks for getting a nice flat surface to set tile on.

Edit: and yeah, it seems like Google is making picasa more of a pain to use so that people will join google plus. argggh.
The kitchen floor is concrete. Our plan for the time being is to clean it up and seal it, maybe tint the sealer a bit and see how we like it. If we don't like it we'll just tile over it. So for now we don't worry so much about getting it dirty/wet, although we've taken precautions to protect it.

Grinding the counters hasn't been all that bad. I bought a pretty nice wet grinder made just for this sort of thing and I've patiently gone up through the various grits. That one section I've got in along the perimeter of the kitchen is about 45 square feet and each grit takes about 45-60 minutes to do. My wife stays right next to me with the wet vac to keep things as clean and dry as possible- it's a real pain doing them in place, but I still think it was the right thing to do given the location of the sink and cooktop cutouts. The GC is really impressed with the fact that there aren't any joints in it (and that was another reason I chose this method). So when it's all said and done it'll be less than 6 hours of grinding for that section. I've still got the island to do, but I'm casting that upside down in a mold and will be able to work on it outside. That will go faster since I don't have to keep pace with the wet vac. All in all I'm very impressed with the whole concept and will be doing more of it in the future. Some aspects of it are harder than expected, and some are easier.

Our lead guy is doing the tile in the shower. We've found that he's exceptional at just about everything he touches, and the tile work is no different. I can do a pretty decent job on the floor tile- I'm pretty anal about getting everything flat and straight- but I wasn't willing to tackle a shower just yet.

Better get to work!
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #392
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Nice thread. I atarted last night and made it through the whole thing. Very impressive.

D

Dastard screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 07:01 AM
Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #393
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Looking really good A!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #394
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Hey Adam, I did some work in a house the other week with a finished basement and some awesome stained concrete floors. I'll host hem and shoot you the link when I get a chance. I couldn't see the whole floor since there were drop clothes down, but what I saw was gorgeous. I also snapped a picture of the under cabinet lighting we did at a different house, so I'll shoot you the picture of that too.

At the rate you're going you'll be moving upstairs in no time! Bout time anyway ya slacker
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #395
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post

At the rate you're going you'll be moving upstairs in no time! Bout time anyway ya slacker
Appliances come on Thursday so I had better get moving on those countertops!

Yesterday's storm set me back- we lost power until today.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #396
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Awesome work. There's an ICF house for sale in my area that caught my eye. A little spendy but pretty sweet looking.
http://www.trulia.com/property/31026...Beach-FL-33572

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #397
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Awesome work. There's an ICF house for sale in my area that caught my eye. A little spendy but pretty sweet looking.
http://www.trulia.com/property/31026...Beach-FL-33572
Two comments:
1. fireplaces? in Florida?
2. $610k? for waterfront? would have an extra zero on the price, here...
bassogap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #398
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
ha, sometimes it does dip into the 50s in the winter. About half the houses here seem to have fireplaces. Mine doesn't and I can't say I miss it.

That's not even one of the cheaper waterfront homes. Loads of them in the 300-400k range. I'm renting a waterfront home in the same area for $1,400/mo.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #399
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Very Nice House...

You guys are doing a great job on the project!

I love the house, and these types of projects in general, but it's refreshing to see both you and your wife working side by side on a project like this. It seems to me that this kind of family team work is a rarity in the world these days.

Do you guys ever plan to sell the home, or are you in it for the long haul?

Keep up the hard work. The finish line is just around the corner...

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #400
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
You guys are doing a great job on the project!

I love the house, and these types of projects in general, but it's refreshing to see both you and your wife working side by side on a project like this. It seems to me that this kind of family team work is a rarity in the world these days.

Do you guys ever plan to sell the home, or are you in it for the long haul?

Keep up the hard work. The finish line is just around the corner...
Thanks!

Now that we're in it while it's being finished I spend a lot less time on ADV, so I haven't been updating the thread. Most of the stuff we're doing now doesn't really photograph well anyways. The stuff that will look nice in pictures is still a week or two away- but we're getting there.

I enjoy being married to someone that isn't afraid to jump in and help by taking on projects. Building this house has been stressful on our marriage but we'll come out of it just fine- which is better than a lot of people from what I hear. I DO have ideas for if we ever do this again. We will make a list of projects that we're taking on and split them up. She will be in charge of certain things and I will be in charge of certain things and there will be no collaboration on those things. There are literally thousands of decisions to make and discussing every single one is really draining and stressful. It's gotten to the point where I tell her that I don't care what color she wants to paint the kitchen- just pick a color and let's move on. That may sound harsh, but I think it's a pretty reasonable way to handle it next time. If it's important to me I'll take charge, if it's important to her she can.

We're planning on being in the house for at least 10 years. Long term we'd like to move back to Montana, but that's probably not going to happen until retirement, if we ever get there at all.

Gimme another week or two to get more pictures up. The kitchen should be completely done by then, along with the master bath, etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #401
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Like! Or is that strictly a Facebook thang? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #402
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Tiling with 12x18 slate is slow going. I'm sweating my ass off. Just taking a quick break before mixing my next batch of thin set.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #403
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 410
:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #404
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Some lurker harassed me yesterday and said I needed to post pictures.

I'm using a 3 step sealer for the countertops and did the first two steps today. Here's a couple pictures from that. This last coat hasn't cured yet so it may look a little funny.

From 2013-07-13

From 2013-07-13

From 2013-07-13

Last night I tiled the master bath and I grouted it this morning. One of my least favorite things in the world is getting rid of the grout haze.
From 2013-07-13

In the entry and laundry/bath I put down a 12x18 slate tile. I REALY like the look of this stuff after the enhancing sealer went on. So much so that I think we're going to finish all the concrete floors with the same stuff.
From 2013-07-13

Put ceiling fans in the bedrooms. They seem like nice units and move a good amount of air. I'm having a switch issue with one of them (not the fan's fault).
From 2013-07-13
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #405
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
VERY NICE A!!!!

I"ll swing by and see it in person soon. Of course, if you were home when I did stop by

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: