Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
How do you fill the gap so nice between the insulation?

Do you use a concrete pump/boom truck?

Shovel?
If you mean how do we fill the forms with concrete, there are essentially two ways. If you have accessibility with a truck (if the truck can sit higher than the tops of the forms) you can pour directly in them, which is what we did at this point. The ICF guy has a little metal hopper that sits on top of the forms to give the truck driver a bit of leeway. He also uses a vibrator to consolidate the concrete.

Once we get higher than a truck can go, we'll have to use a pump truck. Essentially we'll be using a pump truck from here on out, with exception to the basement slab.

Feeling slightly under the weather today, and we just got back from an overnight in Burlington (not partying, unfortunately) so probably won't do much until tomorrow. Good news is that our accountant encouraged me to quit my job and pursue more education. I think that's what got my stomach all worked up. Before I get this punted to inmates I'll knock off all the personal talk.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #32
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,757
PM me your new address, or Google Earth coordinates, I'll lay out the best place for a pond for you.......

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #33
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Holy Bald-headed Christ what a pain in the ass.

Pictures to come at the end of the weekend.

Walls are 4 feet higher, basement is backfilled and compacted.

Anyone in the area wanna come over and rough plumb for under the slab, let me know. I've got cash on hand and I'm not kidding. The catch is that I want you to be a plumber and know what the hell you're doing.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #34
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
ICF's

We have done a couple foundations with them, and they work great. Have one coming up this fall that is a room addition with a bomb shelter under it all. It is on a hill side so will be using 8 foot forms and 6 foot forms. One we used SIPs on for the above the ground walls. That is what is going on the room additon job this fall. This will be the first one we use a pumper on, due to the hillside. The first one we built using ICF' and then SIPs was a shop and office. The shop was 40' X 50' x 12' sidewalls, the office was 20' X 50' with in floor heat. They didn't get the heat going the first winter, and heated it with two 1500 watt electric milk house heaters. We spent a lot of time sealing the joints in the shop as it was a metal ceiling with spry poam, but it sure did pay off. I have installed my own and another in floor heat, and really enjoy it. It is the way to go, I want to sell my place and build another one just because I know I can build it even better by using ICF's and SIPs.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #35
tjoseph
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,103
Best of luck. I'm looking at building a retirement home in the next few years, and ICF is probably what I'll go with as well. Happy to watch how you do it. Thanks for the thread.
tjoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #36
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
We have done a couple foundations with them, and they work great. Have one coming up this fall that is a room addition with a bomb shelter under it all. It is on a hill side so will be using 8 foot forms and 6 foot forms. One we used SIPs on for the above the ground walls. That is what is going on the room additon job this fall. This will be the first one we use a pumper on, due to the hillside. The first one we built using ICF' and then SIPs was a shop and office. The shop was 40' X 50' x 12' sidewalls, the office was 20' X 50' with in floor heat. They didn't get the heat going the first winter, and heated it with two 1500 watt electric milk house heaters. We spent a lot of time sealing the joints in the shop as it was a metal ceiling with spry poam, but it sure did pay off. I have installed my own and another in floor heat, and really enjoy it. It is the way to go, I want to sell my place and build another one just because I know I can build it even better by using ICF's and SIPs.
We looked into SIPs and at least in this area with the contractors that work with them, they were prohibitively expensive. Great idea though, and I imagine that methods like that will become the norm someday. I was reading how ICF construction is picking up in recent years.

Got the plumbing in today. The GC rescued me and sent over his favorite plumber. What an awesome guy (works with his wife, and they make a great team!).

Of course my dumb ass left the camera behind.

Pics by the end of the weekend!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #37
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
SIP's

The big building was the first time using SIPs. We had all the 2x6 nailed together for the splines before we started. Just two of us put up the office and she shop in under two days. We did leave the overhead door open so we could carry the trusses in and set them. Did it all with a skid steer with a hydraulic boom, not bad for just the two of us. Added one more guy to set the trusses the next day, and the nailers. Wish I was younger as it was a very enjoyable job, and I would try to find a bunch more of that kind of work.

Keep us updated with how things are going.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
The big building was the first time using SIPs. We had all the 2x6 nailed together for the splines before we started. Just two of us put up the office and she shop in under two days. We did leave the overhead door open so we could carry the trusses in and set them. Did it all with a skid steer with a hydraulic boom, not bad for just the two of us. Added one more guy to set the trusses the next day, and the nailers. Wish I was younger as it was a very enjoyable job, and I would try to find a bunch more of that kind of work.

Keep us updated with how things are going.
We weren't into the idea of doing SIPs ourselves. As it is, our ICF guru is doing most of the work so far and the idea is that we sort of take over when we can. But, the little bit of time I've spent with him I'd be confident in doing my own frost walls for a small project like a garage. In fact, if we ever build using ICFs again I'm going to try to design it with the ICF dimensions in mind to minimize cuts. I don't know what other brands are like, but cutting these is pretty easy (you can work in 1 inch increments, and they're all marked so you can cut them freehand). For what it's worth, we're using the Reward brand.

I'm sure we'll hit some pitfalls, and budget overruns, but so far we're doing pretty good and I'm very happy with the people I'm working with. It's no wonder our GC is booked a year out and does zero advertising.

And again- if anyone is in the area (near Lebanon, NH) and wants to stop by just send me a PM. We're happy to have you.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
My former wife and I were ready to build an ICF house that I designed over 15 years ago. I've seen many TV shows on ICF's and if done correctly they are a very good way to go in most climates.

I hope your build goes well. So much to consider, so many details to cover. I'm going to pop out and see visit you and your job site soon.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Some more pictures, some more progress...

So here we go.

First we got the inside of the foundation back filled and compacted. As I was back filling my wife was smart enough to cover the tops of the ICFs with the filter fabric to prevent me from dropping dirt and gravel down in them when I swung over them with the excavator. I knew I married her for a reason.
From July 8, 2012

Then we decided that it'd be a good idea to run plumbing under the slab since we've got a bathroom going in the basement. We were also smart enough to add two additional runs for future add-ons. I'm thinking wet bar. Also ran some pipe for radon mitigation. Cheaper and easier to do it now even if we don't need it.
From July 8, 2012

And today we put in the vapor barrier, foam insulation, PEX tubing, and wire mesh. First picture proves that I'm a real person. I'm the good looking one on the left, Bob the ICF guru on the right. Picture is crooked because wife took it.
From July 8, 2012

The heating supply company I/We are dealing with is pretty cool. They sell pre-made manifolds. (I'm sure most companies do, but what do I know- first time I've done this) It's something I could make myself, but sometimes (like right now) I'd rather pay a small premium for the convenience.
From July 8, 2012

And here is the finished product. We really flew through this with 3 people working on it. Bob normally works alone, and I can't imagine how he does it, but good for him. Holy Cow was it hot in the sun, and standing in that make-shift Styrofoam cooler didn't help matters any.
From July 8, 2012

Tomorrow is the pour, and if we're lucky I'll get a time lapse of it. I'm batting under .500 when it comes to setting up the go pro to work correctly; we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #41
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
So here we go.

First we got the inside of the foundation back filled and compacted. As I was back filling my wife was smart enough to cover the tops of the ICFs with the filter fabric to prevent me from dropping dirt and gravel down in them when I swung over them with the excavator. I knew I married her for a reason.

Tomorrow is the pour, and if we're lucky I'll get a time lapse of it. I'm batting under .500 when it comes to setting up the go pro to work correctly; we'll see what tomorrow brings.
This is really awesome you are sharing this with the community, and great luck to you in the rest of your build - I have subscribed so I can see progress updates as Im very interested in this.

Thanks!
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #42
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
I'm surprised at the distance between runs of the heating pipes. I know the heat diffuses through the concrete surrounding each pipe, but that still looks wide to me.
BTW, great thread so far.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
I'm surprised at the distance between runs of the heating pipes. I know the heat diffuses through the concrete surrounding each pipe, but that still looks wide to me.
BTW, great thread so far.
We were advised on 16" on center, which is pretty much what's there. We cheated to 18" in two spots. As I understand it, there are at least 2 standard sizes for tubing, and we went with the larger of the two. I sure hope it works!

We poured the slab today, and two ADVers stopped by to watch, and it was extremely helpful for them to hand us the occasional bottle of water or trowel. Awesome to meet you guys- you're welcome anytime! Maybe next time I'll have more time to chat and share a beer.

Might try to post a picture and/or movie later today.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
We were advised on 16" on center, which is pretty much what's there. We cheated to 18" in two spots. As I understand it, there are at least 2 standard sizes for tubing, and we went with the larger of the two. I sure hope it works!

We poured the slab today, and two ADVers stopped by to watch, and it was extremely helpful for them to hand us the occasional bottle of water or trowel. Awesome to meet you guys- you're welcome anytime! Maybe next time I'll have more time to chat and share a beer.

Might try to post a picture and/or movie later today.
Geeze, a real ADV rider would have handed you a cold BEER and a bacon samich!

We have radiant heat in the new addition at our shop (you've seen it) and the spacing is the same. Other than a worthless design, a worthless installation and a worthless GC it works fine. Hey, at least it does not leak and it does heat the building well.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Geeze, a real ADV rider would have handed you a cold BEER and a bacon samich!
Well when you stop by you know what to do! (Seriously- giving me a beer when I'm working in the sun is a really bad idea. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
We have radiant heat in the new addition at our shop (you've seen it) and the spacing is the same. Other than a worthless design, a worthless installation and a worthless GC it works fine. Hey, at least it does not leak and it does heat the building well.
We've got ours pressurized right now (and did before the pour) and so far no leaks. We're also trying to avoid cutting into them- Elissa and I spent a good chunk of time mapping it out the other day and taking measurements. It was wicked hot that day and one of us who shall remain nameless was having a sugar crisis and may or may not have gotten frustrated with me.

Mr. ICF was a little frustrated with the quality of the slab, but I think it's fine. We had a little challenge because one of the truck drivers added too much water to his mix. One great thing about him is that he seems to be a perfectionist, which is fine by me. There was a time not long ago when I'd get frustrated by imperfection, but I've gotten over that. This is going to be a long challenging project and I'm not going to let little things bother me. It's a basement floor and the only imperfection is going to be covered by a bathtub.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: