Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Wearing the same boots on a longer trip, even with changes of socks, the boots can get pretty skanky with sweat and occasional wetness.

Any shoe store has boot powder to kill the casue of the stench.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
JACIII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Bring an extra 20 bucks.

Wear socks you don't mind throwing away. Wear them once then trash them, when you run out of clean socks buy more. There's a Dollar General or a Walmart everywhere and they are cheap.

Works for underwear, too. Why haul around dirty drawers?

This doesn't apply if you wear the LDComfort type stuff.
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,254
I've done the TAT a couple times in triple digits and also was wearing Scout boots. Great boots but man my feet sweat! I just use plain cotton mid socks, I think I took a few pairs along and just switched them daily for fresh ones until I hit a motel to do laundry. I dont think it will matter what socks you wear with the Scout boots as there is no ventilation. They sure were nice and dry in the Colorado rain though!

Best investment on the trip was a can of Lysol to spray in the boots each night!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Riley212
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Smartwool PHd Light ski socks. Actually i have found that all of smartwool's socks are better than just about everything out there. My feet sweat less, they are softer and more durable than anything else. they dont get stinky as fast and i find i can re wear them a few days if i have to. they dont get crunchy like cotton/synthetic socks. if they get wet they are still warm and they dry fast.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Same for me. Two pairs, Smartwool.
Smartwool socks come in all many thicknesses so you should be able to find something comfortable for the temps you will be riding in. I wear nothing but smartwool on backpacking trips, but I will say I have a pair of Alpinestars coolmax socks that I really like as well for motorcycling.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Deacon66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I just wear soccer socks... they hold their shape, come up nice and high and reduce/eliminate any boot rub (for me.) They also stay put... which seems to be a problem with my other socks (weird?) Wash them out every day or as needed. (I bring at least two pair.) They are fairly cheap and very durable.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Deacon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I buy mil-spec boot socks at the local Army Navy Surplus store, 3 pair for 10 bucks. They're anti-microbial with fine silver metallic thread woven into the sole area. Easy to wash out, dry quick (but not as fast as poly-propylene micro fiber), and have enough thickness to kill some of the buzz from the pegs.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
TonyTooTall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
+ eleventy million for anything smart wool. I have used them everywhere from up here in Alaska in the dead of winter to down in northern Queensland. Only thing I will wear. And they last so long. I have some pairs that are 5+ years old and still are without holes.
TonyTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
For real???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled1 View Post
My son and I are riding the TAT in July and I can't decide which socks we should wear. I've read all of the threads on socks but there are so many opinions I still can't decide. We will be riding for about 5 weeks and it will be hot. We both have Alpinestars Scout boots. Which socks would you wear? I've heard good things about SOKz but not sure if they're the right sock for this trip.

Thanks.....Kyle
Is this thread serious? Have you really exhausted every other item you're taking with you and have nothing more to think about than socks??!! WTF

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
Is this thread serious? Have you really exhausted every other item you're taking with you and have nothing more to think about than socks??!! WTF
Who gives a fat flying fuck whether he's exhausted every other item he's taking with him. He wanted to create a thread about socks, and did so. What is the point of your post?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #26
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Easy dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Who gives a fat flying fuck whether he's exhausted every other item he's taking with him. He wanted to create a thread about socks, and did so. What is the point of your post?
Jeez man, get out of bed on the wrong side?! I think the fact that he's doing the TAT with his son is great, sounds like a fantastic trip. I was amazed however though that someone who'd take on a trip like that with his son wouldn't already have the knowledge/experience/opinion on what socks he liked to wear!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #27
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
Smartwool or Magellan socks at Academy Sports for 1/3 the price. But you have to look at the label and get the ones with 70% merino wool, the same as Smartwool. Warm and dry.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,806
It was mentioned above. I'll hit it again. Your BOOTS will get damp on a long trip. You need socks that will still work if a bit damp.

I use a wool blend. Use any brand you want, just be sure they are comfortable. I really hate seams across my toes.

Try to dry your boots as much as possible each night. I stuff dirty laundry in them, or those micro dust cloths, this will draw out some moisture.

Someone used christmas lights to dry his boots. Very novel.

I've seen a boot insert, looks like an insole, that was a boot dryer. These will need a current bush.

A dry shoe pays off when it starts getting cold.

Good riding to ya.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,599
Duds

As was said earlier, gather all of your old clothes and wear them once or twice and chuck them when they are soiled. You will think that your riding skills are improving but you will be lightening your load and easing fatigue. Remember that this method can not be used always, unless you have a huge amount of old clothes. I have used this method a few times over the years. Liberating, actually... YMMV
Ron

BMW R1150GS ADV
KTM 300 EXC (plated)
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
Did the complete TAT in 2011, had three pairs of socks, one smart wool and two road gear socks. Tried to wash out the pair I rode in every night. Never wanted for more socks, did end up wearing the smart wool ones more as my boots weren't completely broken in and after one day of long walks the heavy socks helped, plus lots of band aids and mole skin.

That reminds me bring some band aids and mole skin to help with any foot issues!!!!

check my TAT link for packing list, served me very well for a LONG extended trip. I carry less on short rides less.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote