ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #151
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
This is one of my favorite historical signs/markers to come across, on Colorado 142 west of Colorado's oldest continuously lived in town - San Luis. We're next to the Rio Grande River here, about ten miles north of the New Mexico border. This is history well before pioneers and fortune seekers arrived from the east, even before there was a much of a colonial presence in the continental east. Read and be entertained by the words, and especially note the text in the lower left below the image of the Rio Grande...

Looking north from the sign. Wow, the Rio Grande here, about 30 feet across here was at one time a much wider and deeper thing, untamed, for back then there were no draws for irrigation, or managed flows for flood control or hydro-electrical needs, etc.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #152
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
Roadsigns for the postal services in East germany. It shows the distances in hours to the villages and towns in the area.

This one is from 1727

This one is from 1730

And this is how they used to deliver mail in those days:

- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #153
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
I was involved in placement of that rock in 1979. Maritime Historical Society, Mercer-Fraser contractors who brought the donated rock in on a lowboy, and a big Wagner log loader from Louisiana-Pacific Mill placed the rock on the beach.

Time to place: Maritime wants to place a rock for Milwaukee... ok, sure, got a rock? Ok, can we run a log loader to place it. When do you want to do it... Tuesday, sure, why not.

Today... would take probably 10 years for permits to do it. Require permission from the Coastal Commison, shorebirds, whales, salmon, county building permits, county road department, caltrans, sewage dept, ... and probably have to survey for newts.

Word. I thought there was a piece of bronze that told some of the story there, but perhaps I'm misremembering.

Neat to learn about the rock itself.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #154
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Construction of the Lewis and Clark keelboat

Elizabeth, Pennsylvania is sort of the birthplace of the start of the L & C Expedition. M. Lewis hired a well known local boat and barge builder to construct their keelboat. When Lewis returned to Elizabeth about a year later to pickup the boat he found a drunk boat builder that was drunk and a half finished boat.

r

Meriwether Lewis spent a year preparing for supplies, learning medical care and how to calculate latidude/longitude corrdinates, etc. before recruiting the first members for the Expedition, including Clark.

The delay of the boat caused the Expedition to miss the Winter window to reach today's North Dakota. This delayed the start of the Expedition almost a year.

There is a good chance that the boat was built behind these buildings. The boat was probably launched behind these buildings into the Monongahela River. The Monongahela flows into the Ohio at Pittsburg, and the Ohio heads south to Louisville, KY.

Lewis was faced with the challenge of getting the big heavy boat down the Ohio River to Clarksville, IN/Louisville, KY. He hired temporary labor to row and pull the boat south. Seaman was onboard as a 6 month old pup, learning his natural borne skill of retrieving squirrels Lewis shot for dinner. With the help of hired local farmer's mules and oxen (must have been a sight) they finally made it from Pittsburg area to Louisville in about 3 weeks.

Meriwether Lewis actually labor over the L & C Expedition for about four years.

Replica of the keelboat (estimated to be 25,000 lbs loaded) that they rowed downstream from Elizabeth to meet the Ohio River, to head south to Louisville, then upstream on the Missississippi to St Louis, and upstream from St Louis to Washburn, North Dakota. Propelled via oars, ropes, poles and occasionally a sail.

2003 replicas of the keelboat and two piroque boats used on the Expedition:

Original boat was propelled by 10 man-power, replica keelboat was powered by two 150 HP Mercury inboard motors. Replicas of the three boats were built from detail sketches that Clark made of each boat, including detail dimensions. All three boats are believed to be extremely accurate representations. The two pirogue boats (red and white in the background) were purchased as a last minute decision due to the keelboat being overloaded and sitting too deep in the waters of occasionally shallow rivers.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 07:04 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #155
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,479
Can't even imagine rowing that boat UP stream. that's a hardy crew.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #156
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Was pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Can't even imagine rowing that boat UP stream. that's a hardy crew.
When the Missouri was shallow a crew waded waste deep with 30' ropes to pull the keelboat upstream, and over sandbars. They averaged 10 to 12 miles a day upstream from St Louis to North Dakota, but on the return downstream often did 60+ miles a day. Out West (Montana) they often only did 2 or 3 miles a day.

They started with probably 44 men (most soldiers) and only 27 were finally recruited at North Dakota and the remaining 17 were sent home from ND.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 11:05 AM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #157
Earl of Portchester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
The Golden Lion

This one can be found at the Golden Lion Public House in Southwick Village to the north of Portsdown Hill.

www.guzzista.com/
Earl of Portchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #158
BMW Kurt
Player of the Blues

Oddometer: 9,273

The bridge where "Bloody Sunday" took place.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #159
oisterska
d00b

Oddometer: 74
Elkhorn ghost town, MT:

Downtown Elkhorn!

Went hiking in search of an old graveyard I remember visiting as a kid. Found it, and noticed the ages:

The graveyard was full of mostly dead young'uns! Pretty creepy. Come to find out there was a flu that wiped out a buncha the kids.
oisterska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #160
MrBob
Feelin Groovy

Oddometer: 6,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisterska View Post

Downtown Elkhorn!
I don't know if these buildings qualify as a Western form of Carpenter Gothic but they have a lot of style.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #161
MrBob
Feelin Groovy

I've been in old cemeteries from Maine to Washington and have always been impressed/saddened by the number of infant graves to be seen.
This one caught me by surprise. I think these little ones would be my great-nephews? No family records mention them and I only learned of them when I found the plot of my great-uncle in Denver. Note the 1889 date corresponding to the photos above showing that they lived for 3 months.

I first posted this photo in a thread on how to repair these headstones.

MrBob screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 09:26 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #162
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I don't know if these buildings qualify as a Western form of Carpenter Gothic but they have a lot of style.
Indeed, they sure do. And yes Bob, the numerous pioneer cemeteries and graves I've come across in Colorado containing the remains of very young boys and girls who did not live very long.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #163
MrBob
Feelin Groovy

The influenza outbreak of 1918 was termed a pandemic rather than epidemic because it spread to many parts of the world.
This little guy, buried in the Keota, CO cemetery, had the misfortune to be born when the infection was in its early stages. I don't know if the flu was his undoing but the timing is right.

At least 3% of the world's population died in the pandemic, which was most deadly to healthy, young adults.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #164
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
Arromanches-Les-Bains, Normandy, France

- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #165
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 913
Hue, Vietnam.

When you are there, they (the Vietnamese) call it the American war...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is offline   Reply With Quote