User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Oddometer: 13,291
Camera Backpacks

I've got a Think Retro 10 shoulder bag for the camera gear and it's fine for car and casual use, but it's not much fun to carry around for very long.

I live in the sticks and finding these bags to get my hands on is well neigh impossible.

I've looked at a number of bags on line - Amazon offers several hundred choices.

The bag is going to need to hold besides camera gear, at least a raincoat, possibly a first aid kit and water bottle or two, maybe lunch.

I've just been using padded camera case and lens sleeves in my regular day pack, but I just can't help but think there might be a better solution.

My biggest objection to the one backpack I did try from REI (Mountainsmith) is that the bloody thing was like a foot thick! At least 3" of that was a laptop sleeve - I can do bloody without that, thanks in the interest of a slender pack.

Anyone got a brilliant one, or should I stick with my daypack and padded stuff?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,196
Camera Bags - the is no such things as the perfect one.

I sometimes think every year we should all send all our camera bags to someone else and get their bags by return post.

Seriously, I have found the best success with the gear from Gura Gear. It is well made, light and will likely meet most of your needs.

http://www.guragear.com

I have two of their bags and use little else beside my pelican system that bolts to the motorcycle.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.

Bill 310 screwed with this post 03-30-2015 at 07:33 AM
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 40,495
It would have to be really thick to do what you're asking, I've got this as my main backpack now and it's ~9" with almost all of it being for the camera gear:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...DXN56A1CDZ23F6

It's affordable and holds enough gear except in rare circumstances but again it would just be for the gear. You could section it off to put a first aid kit in there but unless you've 100% fool proof containers I wouldn't put your lunch in there and there's nothing to hold your drink.

What you want is an interesting concept but ideally you'd have 2 compartments that open from the front with the one for food and other things being on the bottom in case they leak.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 11,208
I do a padded fanny pack for my camera and the lenses that I most frequently use and put the lenses that I might use into padded sleeves and those go in a backpack.

I found that when I carried my camera in a backpack I never used it because it was a PITA to get out, use and put back in. I use it way more and switch lenses more with the fanny pack.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,441
I just got a Lowepro 302AW, they're on sale. I hope I don't hate it (it's rather large) but it can hold my lunch. 11" deep.

I am also anti-laptop sleeve. This one doesn't have one.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
I do a padded fanny pack for my camera and the lenses that I most frequently use and put the lenses that I might use into padded sleeves and those go in a backpack.

I found that when I carried my camera in a backpack I never used it because it was a PITA to get out, use and put back in. I use it way more and switch lenses more with the fanny pack.
Agreed, but some of the camera packs have a holster type compartment faster to access. Much of time, camera is in hand or around neck, but when walking hard, it's nice to be balanced.

The mountain smith bag I tried had two compartments, one for camera with padded dividers, the other without.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 3,081
I have the Mountainsmith Borealis, which i like. It has the laptop sleeve that I don't use but I don't think it adds much to the depth because you would want the layer of padding against your back anyway and there is no padding between the sleeve and the rest of the pack. Part of the thickness of the pack, which I agree is pretty huge, is the padding on the back which keeps most of it off your back so air can circulate. I returned the Borealis AT which is the older model because it did not have the side pouches which I like for a canteen and a tripod. I use this clip device http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/peak-d...lr-camera.html
to hold the camera on the pack shoulder strap. I is much more comfortable than hanging the camera around your neck.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
I have a Lowe Pro Slingshot 102-aw. Use it on the bike,in the Jeep and hiking around. Have yet to use the built in raincover. It will hold my Nikon F5 (a big ass camera),two additional lenses and flash in the lower compartment. And a few sundy items in the top. There is space for a couple cards,batteries and my Lenspens as well. Think I paid about $70 for it but I needed it now. It can be had for much less online.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
1world1life
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Lowepro photo sport 200 is what I use.

Camera bit fits slr with standard lens plus long lens. Accessible from side zipper.

Rest of bag is a standard backpack. Added bonus is that it easily fits in my top box on the bike.

Works great for my needs…

Craig
Old 03-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Agreed, but some of the camera packs have a holster type compartment faster to access. Much of time, camera is in hand or around neck, but when walking hard, it's nice to be balanced.

The mountain smith bag I tried had two compartments, one for camera with padded dividers, the other without.

Lowepro Transit Sling 250

Does Lowepro stand for Low Profile? It should, because this bag is svelte, baby.

enough storage for a full-frame SLR, a small prime and two zoom lenses plus a flash unit and lunch and/or a couple of pints of your favorite swill.

Because it's a sling (i.e. 1-strap) bag, you can swing it around and access your camera via the side zipper.

Don't bother trying to carry a tripod with it. That's just silly and would defeat the purpose of this minimalist bag. Less is more.

I cannot tell you how convenient it is to be able to stow/access a big bulky SLR in a few seconds without removing your bag on a day-long excursion. The fact that it can swing around to the front of your body also means you can sit down in a chair without removing it (I took mine skiing and could easily sit on a chair lift, for instance). It's also narrow so that you can easily navigate confined spaces or crowds without getting it caught on a rusty nail or spilling someone's beer, respectively.

If I need to carry more kit (rare) or stow more luggage (not as rare) then I reach for my Lowepro Orion AW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.

kawalaser screwed with this post 03-30-2015 at 02:51 PM
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,273
I have the LowePro Flipside 200. Its a nice backpack.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,315
Lowepro has some options, as posted already.

ThinkTankPhoto has its MindShift line. Too fussy, IMHO.

Have a look at F-stop too.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
I've a kata 3-in-1 that I don't hate. It's here with me now down in the Bahamas. Does the slingshot trick, and converts a regular backpack. I normally use the laptop compartment for the fold-up grey/white reference and reflectors, which fold up flat. The only downside i'd call out is that it is moronic from an ergonomic perspective for a rig that is designed for 25+ lbs of gear to *not* have a legitimate waist strap to distribute the weight onto your hips. In my pack's design, unless your 4'8", all the weight is on your shoulders all the time. Not the biggest deal for short outings. But a real pain in the butt on longer trips.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
Camera Bags - the is no such things as the perfect one.

I sometimes think every year we should all send all our camera bags to someone else and get their bags by return post.

Seriously, I have found the best success with the gear from Gura Gear. It is well made, light and will likely meet most of your needs.

http://www.guragear.com

I have two of their bags and use little else beside my pelican system that bolts to the motorcycle.
Starting at $300??? They think a lot of their product. Thanks for the lead.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
Bouldermoto
Flogger

Oddometer: 30
I shoot on and off the bike for a living, (ha that's a joke), the for a living part anyway but I do shoot professionally. The best bag IMO is the smallest one that provides quick access to your gear for the day.

If I'm out with the boys and just don't want to miss a shot, I might take a 4/3 mirror less rig in a front pouch that straps to my chest protector. For smaller non pro bodies , I'll use a shallow narrow pack so it doesn't catch on that low tree branch or down log I need to get under, if I'm on a professional backcountry shoot I will need a taller deeper pack to carry a pro body and what ever glass is needed for that shoot.

I think one of the most important things is to get everything out of a camera pack other than camera equipement and your water bladder. Glass ain't light and no mater the pack realize even a small get off and your praying to Jesus that you don't need to send in that gear to Nikon. For this ill usually run a giant loop Mojavi for just about everything else and a fanny pack.

By getting everything off your back other than camera gear, you can cut down on size of the pack. After that it's how much do you want to carry, and how much do you need to carry.

There are some good choices above, I like the Lowepro flipside series ( I have the 10, 15 and the 20). I can still carry my quick need tools in a fanny pack, and the bottom of the pack can sit on top of he fanny and take some of the weight, which can be a lot on a big day or week long shoot where i need to carry everything on a moto.

There are a dozen packs in my closet just for shooting on the moto. I hope you find your holy grail for your needs, just remember once you get it, you're gonna find a lens that doesn't fit in it...brap brap

Bouldermoto screwed with this post 03-30-2015 at 10:13 PM
Bouldermoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: