User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 874
Home, sweet home?

Our road traveling has changed over the years. When traveling with the 5th wheel or hauling the cabin style boat (now sold), we have gravitated to the 2/2/2 Rule: travel about 200 miles per day / been off the road by 2:00 / stay for two days. If you can't do the 3rd part, have two drinks instead.

We had a great summer in the San Juan Islands - yeah, the work stuff occasionally got in the way of having fun, but the scooter riding was great. From there, we hauled to the Phoenix area, where we spent 10 days with our daughter and son-in-law. Jerry is right: it is hotter than the gates of Hell there this time of year, but I did get a few early morning scooter rides in. It didn't suck.

Yesterday, we drove about 850 miles - skipped another night in a motel and hauled ass to make it home. Scooter riding here in the Tropical Tip of Texas is more about running errands than riding great roads. More about trying to keep from being run down by the crazy-ass drivers (seriously - think: Tijuana Taxi meets NASCAR) than feeling the breeze.

Might be the short night talking, but I am looking forward to hauling the scoots somewhere else. Oh, I love living on the water (dock right out our back door), the climate is truly tropical (something I like), but the two wheel riding is a bit lacking locally. Not just for the scoot - I had my BMW and the V-Strom here, but enjoyed the riding elsewhere.

We have been away from home for about 4 1/2 months; got in very late last night. It will take a day or three to open the house up and get moved back in. Then, I will be looking forward to hooking the scoots up behind the RV and heading to some good riding.

Home, sweet home. Yeah, yeah... now, lets go find some twisties!

Jim (not workin', nobody has to call me "Captain" )
Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Jim- what setup do you use to haul your scooters behind your RV? It's a 5th wheel, right, so do you hook a trailer to that (truck/5th wheel/scooter trailer)?

I've got a versahaul for my scooter on my Sprinter RV, but my buddy has a 5th wheel and has been toying with pulling a couple scooters. Thought I'd ask how you handle it...Thanks!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Back when I had a truck with a camper shell, I would load up my XT225 on a hitch mounted carrier, and drive 300-400 miles to get out of the heat in the summer, to some place where I could ride in decent weather. I would usually take a 3-4 day weekend (I almost always used my vacation like that, a day or two at the time, rather than all at once) set up a camp, and sleep in the back of the truck.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Jim- what setup do you use to haul your scooters behind your RV? It's a 5th wheel, right, so do you hook a trailer to that (truck/5th wheel/scooter trailer)?

I've got a versahaul for my scooter on my Sprinter RV, but my buddy has a 5th wheel and has been toying with pulling a couple scooters. Thought I'd ask how you handle it...Thanks!
We have a Featherlite cargo trailer that we pull behind the 5th wheel. It is nice to have as a "garage" for the scoots, too. The cargo trailer is a bit more work to haul behind the 5th wheel (you have to unhook it to back the 5th wheel), and it isn't legal to double-tow in all states.

We considered a Swivelwheel trailer...

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

but, decided we wanted to be able to haul the bikes out of the weather and have room for other stuff (tools, jackets, etc)... so, the Featherlite instead of the Swivelwheel.

Our length going down the road is 64' 11.5"... just under the 65' maximum length restriction in some states.

We are considering a change of RVs, possibly going to a diesel motorhome again - in the "discussion stage" right now. In that case, we would consider a change to a lift on the back of the coach...

http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift.html

They have a model that will handle two scooters, if the coach can handle the weight. That would allow us to get a smaller car again, as a towed vehicle.

Another nice thing about the cargo trailer: I can put the scoots, a couple kayaks, and SUPs in there. So, even if we do go with another motorhome, we won't get rid of the cargo trailer - just add another towing option.

I put a Rhino-liner type coating on the floor and the ramp of the cargo trailer; I installed two ride-on chocks; fast and easy. Good footing.

Glad I had the cargo trailer when we moved out of the boat earlier this month - we sold the boat well equipped, but took our personal stuff off of it. The cargo trailer ate all that up, and the two scooters, with no problem.

Any questions, drop me a PM.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 09-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,631
Wow, look at you guys hit the road!

Wish you many Happy Trails!

~ Red
Old 09-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

We were up in the North Georgia mountains a week back at a state park- Talked with some folks that had their big dual sports with them in their 5th wheel- it was a toy hauler. Guess that is probably the ideal solution if hauling bikes or a golf cart is going to be the norm not the exception.

You've got a great setup, but I could never see towing a train like that. Heck, I have no intention of pulling anything. We plan on doing a lot of miles when we retire next year, so no desire to be hooking/unhooking.

Luckily, our RV gets 16mpg, which is 3 mpg better than my midsize truck gets.

Thanks for all the great info and photos! Dave

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,550
What's the GMC's set-up? 3/4 or 1 ton? Gas or diesel? 2WD or 4? Curious about the MPG. Reach double digits?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

The GMC truck is a 2500HD with the Duramax engine and Allison transmission - great combo. We bought the truck originally for hauling the C-Dory boat (about 9,000 pounds).

When my wife wanted another RV (we sold our last motorcoach just before we retired, since we knew we'd be traveling by boat for a while), we did buy a toy-hauler. The toy-hauler was convenient for hauling a bike, but didn't have great liveability. We spend months at a time out and about. The HitchHiker is a very nice "house"... if you want to bring "toys", you'll need to decide how best to do that. NuWa (the manufacturer of the HitchHiker line) is one of the very few that builds their 5th wheels so that you can haul something behind it. We ordered ours with the rear hitch.

No question about it, it IS more work to haul another trailer behind the 5th wheel. We try to find RV parks that have long pull-through sites (not always easy to come by). Since getting the HitchHiker, most of our RVing has been "destination oriented" - go to one place and stay for a few weeks to a few months. With that in mind, it isn't a big deal to stop at a site, disconnect the cargo trailer, park the 5th wheel, then put the cargo trailer on the site with the truck (assuming a back-in site).

We do average about 9.5-10 mpg towing both units. A headwind affects mileage more than terrain. Worst we have gotten is about 8, the best around 11. I did get 12 mpg once towing just the 5th wheel... I dance around the fuel pumps... probably embarrassed Joan again.

We have owned quite a few RVs over the years... just like bikes and scooters, each has a best use. We have had Class B (van campers) that are very convenient, excellent to travel with, but a bit cramped for extended time use. We have had Class A motorhomes, including two bus chassis coaches, that were great liveability, but didn't fit into some fun places like State and National Park campgrounds. Each is a compromise, like a 150cc scooter vs a maxi.

The various RVs have suited our wandering lifestyle. I would be comfortable living full-time in an RV or boat; the Blonde likes having "a base."

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Jim-- really like your "train."

I remember as a kid (circa 1961) we towed a 17 ft travel trailer behind the ' 58 Buick (Google 1958 Buick for an example of true 1950s excess-- Harley Earles' wet dream) with a 14 ft aluminum fishing boat on the car roof.

Frequently on our weekend trips into the Sierra we'd see a "road train" consisting of a 21 ft travel trailer with a 19 ft ski boat behind it--all being towed by a 1957 Dodge Coronet sedan!

In those days most RVs we're pull trailers and most tow vehicles were ordinary passenger cars.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
We were up in the North Georgia mountains a week back at a state park- Talked with some folks that had their big dual sports with them in their 5th wheel- it was a toy hauler. Guess that is probably the ideal solution if hauling bikes or a golf cart is going to be the norm not the exception.

You've got a great setup, but I could never see towing a train like that. Heck, I have no intention of pulling anything. We plan on doing a lot of miles when we retire next year, so no desire to be hooking/unhooking.

Luckily, our RV gets 16mpg, which is 3 mpg better than my midsize truck gets.

Thanks for all the great info and photos! Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm curious, what kind of RV do you have? 16 mpg sounds pretty good, is it diesel powered?

Also, is your Vespa a shifty model? Pics of either would be appreciated (I'm a visual guy).

Rob :)
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Our road traveling has changed over the years. When traveling with the 5th wheel or hauling the cabin style boat (now sold), we have gravitated to the 2/2/2 Rule: travel about 200 miles per day / been off the road by 2:00 / stay for two days. If you can't do the 3rd part, have two drinks instead.

Home, sweet home. Yeah, yeah... now, lets go find some twisties!

Jim (not workin', nobody has to call me "Captain" )
Jim,

I like your 2/2/2 rule. You have an enviable lifestyle. I hope to have the ability, financial and health-wise, to do the same when I retire.

Rob
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm curious, what kind of RV do you have? 16 mpg sounds pretty good, is it diesel powered?

Also, is your Vespa a shifty model? Pics of either would be appreciated (I'm a visual guy).

Rob :)
Scroll up in the link below for a shot of my Vespa, yes it's a shifty- 1980 p200e. Great scooter and a blast to ride, but I mainly use my HD200 to commute when I'm in Atlanta (I work 50% of the time in Denver).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post24950693

The RV is behind the Vespa, although not a very good picture. It's a 2012 Winnebago View on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis. 6 cylinder turbo diesel. It's got a single large slide out and has plenty of room for my wife and I. It'll sleep 4 adults comfortably.

Jim, sorry for the off topic post!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Scroll up in the link below for a shot of my Vespa, yes it's a shifty- 1980 p200e. Great scooter and a blast to ride, but I mainly use my HD200 to commute when I'm in Atlanta (I work 50% of the time in Denver).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post24950693

The RV is behind the Vespa, although not a very good picture. It's a 2012 Winnebago View on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis. 6 cylinder turbo diesel. It's got a single large slide out and has plenty of room for my wife and I. It'll sleep 4 adults comfortably.

Jim, sorry for the off topic post!
Not off-topic at all - we're talking about home and RV, and traveling with scoots. We looked at a Winnebago View last week - love the idea of that size, but we have never traveled "light." Our situation with the View was: if the bed was big enough for the two of us, the living room was too small. I like the premise of the 24M floorplan, but don't know if the couch/bed situation would work for us. Next best is the 24G, but the living room seems a bit tight. The corner bed on the 24J is only 50" wide... I like snuggling with the Blonde, but we are used to a queen size bed... she said, "I don't think so," and I tend to agree. So, we're looking for something a bit bigger again.

Tell us more about how you use your View. How much time do you spend out with it? Which floorplan? Does it have good pull going up steep hills? What kind of lift are you using for the scoot? The salesman told me there was a 350 weight limit on the hitch. Do tell.

That link where you write about the View for retiring is something everyone can learn from. Before we retired, I often said, "I can make more money, I can't make more time." One never knows how much time you get.

Best wishes,
Jim