User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #151
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hay PCX guys, I have an interest in getting one - but
I was wondering what everyone is doing for tires other than OEM ??

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #152
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 261
I'm putting some Pirelli Diablos on mine next: http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...o_scooter.html

They'll probably cost a bit more than the stock IRCs, but I'm ok with that.

I don't see ABS becoming an option on a scooter this small. The 150cc hardly does 60mph -- even though that's more than substantial speed to justify ABS, it ruins the economy of the bike. I think we'd be more likely to see the SWing (http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/swing/ <- not to be confused with the Silverwing) in the USA than to see the PCX get equipped with ABS. I'm actually kinda sad they didn't import the SWing here, it's more refined than the PCX, faster than the PCX, but it does only get about 80mpg @ 60-70mph.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #153
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
I'm putting some Pirelli Diablos on mine next: http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...o_scooter.html

They'll probably cost a bit more than the stock IRCs, but I'm ok with that.

I don't see ABS becoming an option on a scooter this small. The 150cc hardly does 60mph -- even though that's more than substantial speed to justify ABS, it ruins the economy of the bike. I think we'd be more likely to see the SWing (http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/swing/ <- not to be confused with the Silverwing) in the USA than to see the PCX get equipped with ABS. I'm actually kinda sad they didn't import the SWing here, it's more refined than the PCX, faster than the PCX, but it does only get about 80mpg @ 60-70mph.
You are probably right about honda not offering abs any time soon. I do not follow your logic about the lack of need for them though. Even if it could only do 40 mph and was 100 lbs the need is still there if not even more.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #154
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
You are probably right about honda not offering abs any time soon. I do not follow your logic about the lack of need for them though. Even if it could only do 40 mph and was 100 lbs the need is still there if not even more.
Honda will offer ABS if they think enough people will pay the extra $ for it. It's offered on the CBR250 which is also a low priced "economy" sport bike. It would be interesting to find out how many people are opting for the extra $500 for the ABS. How well the ABS sells on the CBR 250 may determine whether Honda offers it on the PCX.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #155
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Keep in mind that the established Japanese companies haven't been setting records with the scooter sales they DO have. It wasn't perversity that led Honda to sell the Reflex and Big Ruckus designs to the Chinese - it was that they couldn't make a profit on the volume they were selling.

Now they're trying Thai labor to keep cost down with the PCX, while offering sophisticated engine controls. I hope it works for them...but it's a gamble.

And they'll wait to see how the bottom line looks before blinging it up with accessories like antilock brakes.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #156
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The PCX 125-150 was designed for people in 3rd world countries where they are smaller, skinny due to malnutrition, like China, India ,,,, its not designed to carry around fat american men that eat potato chips, and drink beer. The smaller scooter like the PCX is all about the weight thats riding it! You'll never get that 125 MPG if the person sitting on it is 190 lbs! The engine, the CVT and the suspension isn't designed for fat, heavy people! Why do fat guys with a fat wife own Harley's for?
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #157
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The PCX 125-150 was designed for people in 3rd world countries where they are smaller, skinny due to malnutrition, like China, India ,,,, its not designed to carry around fat american men that eat potato chips, and drink beer. The smaller scooter like the PCX is all about the weight thats riding it! You'll never get that 125 MPG if the person sitting on it is 190 lbs! The engine, the CVT and the suspension isn't designed for fat, heavy people! Why do fat guys with a fat wife own Harley's for?

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #158
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Dude, just as I started enjoying my PCX and life in general, I'm forced to give-up chips and beer and relocate to Unbunktu. Any restrictions on bacon? Maybe I should trade the PCX for a Harley. Wait a minute, I already have a Harley. All I really need is a fat wife. I suppose it's doable after all.
Kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #159
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,467
I ain't saying my wife is fat but she fell down yesterday and rocked herself to sleep trying to get up..

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #160
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Don't buy a TOY. Get at least a 250.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #161
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Fat wives

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I ain't saying my wife is fat but she fell down yesterday and rocked herself to sleep trying to get up..
Well I ain't saying my wife is fat either, but when she took a pair of her pants to the cleaners the guy told her he didn't do curtains.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #162
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Don't buy a TOY. Get at least a 250.
Why not buy a toy scooter? Skinny, malnurished dudes in India and China love 'em!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #163
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
The PCX150 is a great study in just enough. 68 mph. 0-40 quicker than most cars. My son is reallt big at 270 pounds/ 120kg. the bike will still pull him at 50 mph up the biggest hills but sometimes it would be safer to be going 55 so I might try some go fast parts.
http://japan.webike.net/products/20695735.html
It would also be nice to find a slightly larger diameter rear tire to gain some top speed and a reduced rpm at 65 mph cruise speed to go along with the new power.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #164
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
somebody has to tell the truth! Just because someone you don't know tells wonderfull things about a scooter doesn't mean he's telling the truth or leaving out other details.
Of course the person that owns one is going to say wonderfull things about it cause he doesn't want to look stupid for buying and owning one.
I used to be weak minded and went along with the flow and listened to everybody that owned a bike or scooter that I was instrested in and later found out after I owned one they all LIED about it!

Not bragging about the scooter I own, but its the one everybody cut down and made fun of, its the black sheep of the maxi scooters. Later found out the only reason why everybody cut down the scooter I own is because the owners of the other brand of maxi scooters were AFRAID the scooter I own would make their most popular maxi scooter look bad!

everybody wants the scooter they own to be the best.

just telling the truth about the PCX,,, weight is everything about it, if you're heavy and overweight it won't have enough engine power to pull you around

oh yea! the next one I buy is the one that nobody else likes

Tacoma screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 04:23 AM
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #165
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,143
Tacoma dude, your logic applies to every bike, not just little scooters. So go get yourself a Fat Boy and forget about a PCX.

We are spoiled. Modern vehicles have lots of power, are comfortable, safe and get decent fuel economy. Look at us discussing ABS on a 150 cc scooter, for Pete's sake! What happened to the days of kick starts, bad drum brakes, carburetors, etc.?

I have a PCX 150. It is perfect for what I need, which is riding around town, going to and from work, and just general use. It easily keeps up with traffic and is a blast to ride. Economy is around 100mpg (US). Better yet, it hauls my fat American carcass around just fine. I could care less that it's made in Thailand or wherever. You ever been to Thailand? They should know something about scooters as you can't move without dodging one.

So, thumbs up for the PCX. And, yes, if I wanted to spend an extra $7k and have something less useful, I'd go buy one of those cool new BMW city scooters. But I doubt it would be as fun.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2