Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #166
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
they all LIED about it!
Ha Ha! Easy dude. No one is lying. A 95 mpg scooter has it's place. Even in the US among the more progressive thinkers. We all know that 12.9 hp has it's trade offs and we accept that and work with that. That is part of the fun of owning the PCX for me. Riding my 40 mile commute to work on back country highways on a bike that KILLS the fuel economy of every other 65 mph capable vehicle on the road. I hope other people will see me and think. "Wow. Do I really need this 20 mpg pick up truck? And besides, that looks like fun!"
I bought the PCX150 for my 270 pound/ 122 kg son to learn on as he wasn't gaining enough confidence with the clutch and the shifting and the heavy slow speed cornering of the Ninja650 around town. He loves the PCX and took to the road after 5 minutes on the bike. Rider weight has no effect on top speed. Only on acceleration and hill climbing. Which it still has plenty of acceleration for him. He found a limit of being topped out up a hill at 50 mph when it would have been better for traffic if we were going 55 so I am going to try a few mods such as a snorkel removal and louder exhaust to see what can be gained without spending a lot of money.
The PCX150 has very cool, modern styling and just enough tire size and ergonomics for any size solo rider after the seat hump is removed so I am going to stick with it rather than paying $1000's more for a Downtown, Majesty, Burgman, or Silverwing. Maybe someday after he gets a good job Honda will bring the Integra here for him.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #167
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Responding to the Troll is a complete waste of time and effort. It will continue to post the same gibberish until it is banned.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #168
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Responding to the Troll is a complete waste of time and effort. It will continue to post the same gibberish until it is banned.
We can only hope....

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #169
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Here is an interesting photo montage of cutaways for the PCX engine as seen in the new SH150i.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRXBL8-yREc
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #170
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Tacoma dude, your logic applies to every bike, not just little scooters. So go get yourself a Fat Boy and forget about a PCX.
Good advice. He would fit in well with the Harley crowd.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #171
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I went out on the PCX150 to try to measure some baseline performance before I started any mods. I already have a good idea that the fuel economy will run about 98 mpgUS with no top case and about 95 with the Givi B33 on the back. I'm still waiting for a bigger windshield. To see what the performance is like for a heavy rider I added 90 pounds of iron weights under the seat and did some timed runs and hill climbs. The timed runs were a washout as it was very windy. I had average 0-50mph times of 11.8 going one way and 14.0 seconds coming back the other. Call it 13 sec. for now. within 5 miles of my house is a perfect 3 mile long hill. Rolling into full throttle at the bottom at 30 mph, the PCX was able to get up to a steady 48 with 260 pounds on board. I would like to find a bit more hill climbing performance so I removed the snorkel from the inlet of the air box and am considering trying to drill the stock muffler to trade some added volume for less back pressure saving me the $400 for an aftermarket complete exhaust. Removing the snorkel (which was pinched when thy built the bike) cause no increase in sound, contrary to the CBR250R which now lets out quite a growl from the intake. I haven't ridden the PCX yet but did disconnect the battery to try to trigger the fuel ecu to adapt to the change if there is any.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #172
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Speaking of CBR250 I kind of wish they sold a PCX with it's engine.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #173
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
The snorkel appears to be canted upwards with the assumed purpose of excluding water from entering the intake.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #174
implied
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks You for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSkate View Post
Vehicle cash price: $3,568.95

Dealer delivery charge: $99.00

Michigan sales tax: $220.00

Titling fee: $15.00

License fee: $20.00

Those are itemized charges on the contract.

I had been talking to this dealer about a scooter purchase for a couple months before hand though starting off with the Ruckus then changing my mind to the Metropolitan until I finally I asked him about the PCX 150 coming out.

Ultimately when I went to pick it up he told me that he would give me a friends and family discount and let me take the bike off the lot for $3,900.

I did finance the bike through Honda so I will pay a bit more in the long run assuming I don't decide to just pay the bike off, but the long relationship with the dealer may explain the price the I got. Either that or he was sick of me pestering him for months on end.

I can show you the contract if you want.
Thanks to this thread I was able to save several $$$. The dealers out the door offer was $4400. With knowing what amount to shoot for I was able to get out the door for $3950. I have had my PCX150 for a week and I love it.
implied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #175
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,503
I don't understand this ABS thing, and why everybody wants it. I have ridden safely for 4 decades without it, and am pretty sure I can continue to do so. And it is not what many people think it is. I have seen many posts from riders who went down from braking on slippery surfaces WITH ABS. Apparently it has enough power to cause loss of traction on really slippery surfaces, which is the only place it might actually help a skilled rider. Unskilled riders need to learn some skills, rather than depending on a computer to do it for them. Developing and honing skills is a big part of why riding is so much fun.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #176
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
The snorkel appears to be canted upwards with the assumed purpose of excluding water from entering the intake.
There is a drain in the bottom corner of the air box if any rain did get drawn in.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #177
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't understand this ABS thing, and why everybody wants it. I have ridden safely for 4 decades without it, and am pretty sure I can continue to do so. And it is not what many people think it is. I have seen many posts from riders who went down from braking on slippery surfaces WITH ABS. Apparently it has enough power to cause loss of traction on really slippery surfaces, which is the only place it might actually help a skilled rider. Unskilled riders need to learn some skills, rather than depending on a computer to do it for them. Developing and honing skills is a big part of why riding is so much fun.
You live in one of the driest areas of the country and one of the suniest. The need of abs is probably the lowest there of anywhere. As far as the people you have read of falling with abs, they are not a cure all. Abs on bikes do not work when the bike is leaned over in a turn . The older units do not work as well as the new ones that are out now. I have a scooter with ABS and I think its one of the best improvements to come along for bikes since disc brakes. I too have ridden for decands without them but I hope to ride for a few more because of them. I have 4 motorcycles they all have there ideosicracys. They all stop differently. I have fallen many times over the years ( all low speed ) because of the differences in the brakes on bikes. I do not call myself a good rider but I have managed to not get in any wrecks on the street and have spent my share of time in the woods and track. As I am 58 now and I can see my reflexes are not as good as they used to be I welcome ABS and when possible I try to buy with abs. The best thing that could happen is for someone to come out with an aftermarket abs system so those of use that want it can put them on anything we have. I for one would pay $1000 for an after market system.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #178
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
These discussions always seem to begin with the argument 'I'm a skilled rider and I don't need it". Fine. Don't buy bikes and scooters with ABS.

Lots of folks (myself included) have memories of riding drum brakes back to the 60s. Hell, I have memories of riding drum brakes yesterday (my P200E is pretty much stuck in the 60s). Brake technology has improved a lot since then, and yes, good skills are wonderful and a thing to be admired. That said please let the rest of us who appreciate technology and live in damp slimy places with heavy traffic enjoy our ABS if we ride bikes that have it.

I won't judge your skills, please don't judge mine.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #179
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Removing the snorkel (which was pinched when thy built the bike) cause no increase in sound, contrary to the CBR250R which now lets out quite a growl from the intake. I haven't ridden the PCX yet but did disconnect the battery to try to trigger the fuel ecu to adapt to the change if there is any.
Sendler, did that make any difference?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #180
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Sendler, did that make any difference?
I've been riding the CBR205R this week. It only makes 1% on the CBR but every little bit helps. I also want to drill the PCX muffler as soon as I find the best location.