Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #211
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,412
Friend of mine picked up one of these a few weeks ago. Nice little scooter, but the reach to the front brake is not super easy, and her daughter can barely reach it. I was sure it would have an adjustable lever given it's audience, but nothing.

Anyone found a replacement lever for it that has a closer reach to the bars?
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #212
miner
n00b

Oddometer: 6
first time scooter owner

purchased a 2013 pcx 150 nov. 2012 have about 500 miles on it now,been riding motorcycles for over 40 yrs smallest 175 to largest last one owned vtx 1800. been looking at scooters online for a cpl yrs now ,had knee replaced and just wasn't comfortable riding at slow speeds and maneuvering such a big bike around.finally started to test ride scooters . thinking about what kind of riding i do most is just to get out and havefun on 2 wheelsnot needing all that power anymore,suprisingly when i took pcx for test ride couldnt believe the power for such a small engine.after purchasing i took it it to mountains up 3 mile summit never did less than 45mph.cruised at speeds around 60 mph handled great for a small bike,wind was gusty that day and did notice how that moved me aroundbut still not all that bad. checked mileage twice so far 87mpg and 90 my weight is 185 .one thing i did do is put givi wind screen on much better keeps wind from beating against your chest so now i cant wait for warmer weather . but when temps reach 45f and its sunny i'm riding somewhere cant wait for warmer weather ,very pleased with purchasing pcx so far
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #213
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Check out various threads on removing the seat hump so you can get more room to stretch out.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #214
miner
n00b

not bothered by hump

had no problems with the seat hump on ride to mountains which is about 65miles oneway,but was looking at seat with hump removed and was thinking about making some sort of backrest that mounts through those 2 holes,had backrest on corbin seat on vtx that was nice
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #215
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,508
How is everybody doing with the valves on these scooters? I almost bought one, but the valves needed to be checked really often, and according to the PCX forum it was a 3 hour job. I went with a Zuma 125 instead. 10 minutes to check the valves, 20 minutes to adjust them. But the down side to the Zuma is it is not freeway legal, which is turning out to be a problem. I recently took a 700 mile round trip on it, and it did fine, but I had to ride 22 miles on the freeway, and it was not fun. I just knew I was going to get busted by the cops.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #216
miner
n00b

read one persons article on the valves,after first time he said total took 1 1/2 hrs mostly removing body parts ,doesnt look like much when u get body parts removed,but knowing me i'll just pay someone to do it,i'll let you know how much dealer charges when i get it done first time , then after that i'll take it to local bike shop that i deal with
Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #217
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How is everybody doing with the valves on these scooters? I almost bought one, but the valves needed to be checked really often, and according to the PCX forum it was a 3 hour job. I went with a Zuma 125 instead. 10 minutes to check the valves, 20 minutes to adjust them. But the down side to the Zuma is it is not freeway legal, which is turning out to be a problem. I recently took a 700 mile round trip on it, and it did fine, but I had to ride 22 miles on the freeway, and it was not fun. I just knew I was going to get busted by the cops.
Valves I personally haven't checked I opted to skip over the first adjustment at 600 and am now coming up on them at 2,500. I do ride in very cold weather so I imagine heat expansion is probably going to make the adjustment necessary at 2,500.

PCX150 while freeway legal isn't very good at it. Well at least if you live in a state with 70 mph speed limits.

It'll get to about 65 screaming and won't go any faster than 68 on flat ground.

Another I thing I did notice is that if I leave it idling. The lights will flicker occasionally. I did drop it on ice before, but i'm not sure if this is normal or something I should get checked out. Since i've had cars that did the same thing.

InlineSkate screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 09:15 AM
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #218
JerryH
Vintage Rider

My problem with the valves on the PCX is that I rack up a lot of miles. Already over 3500 on my Zuma 125. Valves are still fine. Both these scooters have major pros and cons. I would not ride either one on the freeway very far, and I am not talking about urban freeways, which are close to suicide on a liter class sport bike. I mean interstate highways out of town. With the PCX, you can ride on one of those for a few miles and not risk a huge fine. I took a 700 mile round trip on my Zuma 125, and had to ride 11 miles on the freeway on the way there and 11 miles on the way back. I did not feel like I was in any serious danger from traffic (speed limit was 75 mph), but was paranoid about the cops.

Anyway, the way I look at it, the good part of the PCX150 is you can legally hop on a freeway once in a while, the bad part is valve inspection/adjustment. With the Zuma 125, the valves are a piece of cake, but you can't legally get on a freeway with it. I want both.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #219
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Only experience will tell if the PCX valves really change that much. The interval on the CBR250R is 8,000 miles.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #220
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
I like it, and have ???

well I like what I see, and since I do not put too many miles on my scooter I don't think I will inspecting the valves more than 2 a year and with our labor cost, well that will not be so expensive even at a dealer (last service for my honda was 25 usd or so)

besides this valve interval, what else is there to watch out? what type of lights does it have? h4? 1 or 2 lights? 35 or 55 watts?

I hope to use it for going to school (I am a professor) and that is 4 mile one way trip with city and some former highway were the legal (not really fallow) speed limit of 35 mph where you will go 40-50.

And knowing me, if this does 50-55 mph as a cruising speed, I will be out exploring more and farther, not afraid to cross into the US and take some back roads...

Also, what accedories are already available? I don't do much to the engine or mechanical things, but I do add stuck to my bikes, so windshields, top racks and the like? Also what is the electrical power on these babies? thinking of extra LED lights or electrical gloves, or a minimal o 12V accessory outlet.

Thanks for your advice,comments and such.

Damasovi

PS I will be buying (hopefully) in 12 months, so you can look for all the real adjustments necessary!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #221
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,496
From the pics it doesn't appear to be any way to zip tie a milk crate to the back. Can it really be called a scooter?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #222
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
well I like what I see, and since I do not put too many miles on my scooter I don't think I will inspecting the valves more than 2 a year and with our labor cost, well that will not be so expensive even at a dealer (last service for my honda was 25 usd or so)

besides this valve interval, what else is there to watch out? what type of lights does it have? h4? 1 or 2 lights? 35 or 55 watts?

I hope to use it for going to school (I am a professor) and that is 4 mile one way trip with city and some former highway were the legal (not really fallow) speed limit of 35 mph where you will go 40-50.

And knowing me, if this does 50-55 mph as a cruising speed, I will be out exploring more and farther, not afraid to cross into the US and take some back roads...

Also, what accedories are already available? I don't do much to the engine or mechanical things, but I do add stuck to my bikes, so windshields, top racks and the like? Also what is the electrical power on these babies? thinking of extra LED lights or electrical gloves, or a minimal o 12V accessory outlet.

Thanks for your advice,comments and such.

Damasovi

PS I will be buying (hopefully) in 12 months, so you can look for all the real adjustments necessary!
Since you are in Mexico, you may not have the 150cc law there. If not, I would consider the Zuma 125. It will do 50-55 mph, and you can load it down easily. You can get a Yamaha rack for it, I got a Shad rack/case mount for mine instead (it's listed on the U.S. Yamaha site) and a Shad 33L top box. You can also add saddlebags, and install highway pegs, which lets you use the entire floor for storage (the PCX does not have a flat floor) I did a 700 mile round trip on mine with no problems other than the aforementioned freeway miles, with only the top case, underseat storage, and a backpack. I have found it comfortable and rugged, it easily carries my 220 pounds.

Not putting down the PCX, looks like a great scooter (other than the valves), it and the Zuma are completely different appearance wise, the PCX is a little bigger physically, but the Zuma seems to have more options for carrying stuff.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #223
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Since you are in Mexico, you may not have the 150cc law there.
Hey JerryH that is some good stuff, the Zuma DOES get here, and the PCX dosen't, The zuma is one of the most expensive of the scooters under 150 cc but it is everything you mention, maybe even made in Japan, there are a couple of Mexico made Hondas (I own one) and they are $1,000 usd cheaper than the Zuma (jere is call BW, some scoot, just different lights).

I will continue to read about both (or 4 if you count the Vespa and the Piaggio)

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #224
miner
n00b

crazy pennsylvania weather in january gave me a chance to get out and take a ride,roads a little wet and dirty but ok with me when temps reach 65 filled up again 97mpg and i dont think i'd be riding pcx 150 on interstate either rides and handles good but wind sure pushes it around otherwise its lots of fun
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #225
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,210
Anyone here skipped the 2,500 mile valve adjustment for a 5,000 mile one? How's the maintenance in general for this little scoot? My wife wants one. I want one too - I think (since Honda won't be bringing the Forza 300 anytime soon).