User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #346
miner
n00b

Oddometer: 6
winters over

finally got almost 700 miles on my pcx-150 took in for valve check letting dealer do first one, total charge will be 226.00valves and complete scooter check. best mileage since owning has been 96mpg so not to bad took up over moutains twice did extremely well for such a small bike, wind does move you around some other that that very good now that warmer weather is here hope to get lots of use out of it . let you know more once i get it back from dealer after service
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #347
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
finally got almost 700 miles on my pcx-150 took in for valve check letting dealer do first one, total charge will be 226.00valves and complete scooter check. best mileage since owning has been 96mpg so not to bad took up over moutains twice did extremely well for such a small bike, wind does move you around some other that that very good now that warmer weather is here hope to get lots of use out of it . let you know more once i get it back from dealer after service
Awesome!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #348
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

I did 70mph (speedo) on the way back from work! That's probably going to hurt the gas mileage...
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #349
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Still love my PCX150!. The other bikes get almost zero usage since I added the PCX to my stable. It is such an easy and unpretentious scoot to live with. As an added bonus, the other bikers don't waive so one less thing to worry about

I have plenty of storage space with the added top case to carry everything I need including groceries on a regular basis. The only thing that doesn't fit are pizza boxes and large bags of dog food so I do drive the car once in a while.

I get around 100 mpg on a regular basis riding around town. Last tank was 125 miles with 1.2 gal = 104 mpg. This is typically when the low fuel thingy starts to flash. I could probably ride another 20 miles but never tried to run it dry.

I was initially looking to get a large frame Vespa but couldn't find the right deal on the used market and didn't want to shell out $7k for a new one. Ended up with the PCX with zero regrets. Highly recommended!
Kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #350
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 626
weirdly enough, i get lots of waves when hoonin' around on my wife's candy red pcx150. not so much on the bv 350 or the (former) mana...
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #351
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

I think because the shape of the front fairing and the "tunnel" between the legs some people mistake it for a motorcycle. So may be it has less of the scooter image thing?

Gased up today and got an even 100mpg. Since wife did most of the miles on that tank, I have to credit her for it. I'm just happy she lets me commute to work on her scoot.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #352
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I think because the shape of the front fairing and the "tunnel" between the legs some people mistake it for a motorcycle. So may be it has less of the scooter image thing?

Gased up today and got an even 100mpg. Since wife did most of the miles on that tank, I have to credit her for it. I'm just happy she lets me commute to work on her scoot.
Congrats on the century mark for mpg! Looking at your photos, there are two obvious reasons:

1. She is easier on the throttle than you.

2. (and more likely) She is a little bit of a thing. I have riding boots that weigh more than she does. Weight does make a difference on these scoots. My wife always tops me on mpg. She looks better on it than I do, too... that seems to be a universal thing, for which I am grateful.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #353
timmie415
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Congrats on the century mark for mpg! Looking at your photos, there are two obvious reasons:

1. She is easier on the throttle than you.

2. (and more likely) She is a little bit of a thing. I have riding boots that weigh more than she does. Weight does make a difference on these scoots. My wife always tops me on mpg. She looks better on it than I do, too... that seems to be a universal thing, for which I am grateful.

Best wishes,
Jim

And more importantly, I think Gore-tx needs to add the photo of his wife with her scoot to the "Scooter Girls" thread. If I am not stepping too far out of line

I doubt my 2 century frame will get into the triple digits if I get a PCX but a boy can dream...
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #354
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmie415 View Post
And more importantly, I think Gore-tx needs to add the photo of his wife with her scoot to the "Scooter Girls" thread. If I am not stepping too far out of line
Well, may be... But that would be bragging, wouldn't it?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #355
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Well, may be... But that would be bragging, wouldn't it?
Ain't bragging if it's true!

Looks like it was a fun day with lots of great scoots!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #356
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGHEAT View Post
I'm considering selling my 09' 650 V-Strom and buying a scooter. I missed out on a couple of Kymco 250 deals so now I'm looking at a PCX. Anybody out there ridden one in the mountains? I currently live in Montrose, CO (6000 ft) but will soon be moving to Grand Junction, CO (4500 ft).

I'm sure around town at 25-45 mph I'll be ok but I would like to be able to ride into the Colorado National Monument by Junction. There are some steep, switchback climbs to get up there. Once in the park the speed limit is 25. I'd also like to ride 2 up with my wife on some evening rides up there. I'm 190 and she's 120.

Would appreciate any info.
There are a lot of 50cc scoots in Breckenridge and I've seen folks take them 2 up from town (9600' elevation) to the top of Boreas Pass (11,500') even on carbureted Vespa 50cc LX. Granted they top out at 25mph on the steepest parts of the climb but a fuel injected PCX 150 should be able to maintain 30-35 two up. there are a couple of Buddy 125s in Avon/Vail area that manage 40-50 on the switchbacks (solo) according to what I've heard which is better than some of the small 4 banger cars with families in them.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #357
ronfar623
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread, especially CaptnJim and gore-tx. It was one of the contributing factors in my decision to purchase a new PCX 150 as my first bike this month. I've only put about 35 miles on it so far, but it's enough to assuage any feelings of buyers remorse I may have had.

I also wanted to ask a question of the more experienced owners. I've noticed that when opening the throttle suddenly after coasting down to 5-10mph, the bike makes a brief chattering noise. Google searches suggest that this is "variator chatter", and is perfectly normal, but other posts suggest bringing it into a mechanic. Have you noticed this with your PCX 150s as well?
ronfar623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #358
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfar623 View Post
"variator chatter"
Mine doesn't chatter. This is usually only common with an aftermarket performance variator that lets the belt drop loose in the front at idle. You might also be feeling the centrifugal clutch in the rear.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #359
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread, especially CaptnJim and gore-tx. It was one of the contributing factors in my decision to purchase a new PCX 150 as my first bike this month. I've only put about 35 miles on it so far, but it's enough to assuage any feelings of buyers remorse I may have had.

I also wanted to ask a question of the more experienced owners. I've noticed that when opening the throttle suddenly after coasting down to 5-10mph, the bike makes a brief chattering noise. Google searches suggest that this is "variator chatter", and is perfectly normal, but other posts suggest bringing it into a mechanic. Have you noticed this with your PCX 150s as well?

Kind words, Ron. No buyers remorse for me, only wish I would have tried one of these scooters years ago. In terms of a first bike, I'd say you made a fine choice! Of course, I may be just a bit biased.

I have not noticed a chatter, but you might mention it to the shop when you have your break-in service done.

Have fun and ride safe with your new PCX!!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #360
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:

Congrats on your new scoot! I have owned many bikes and I think the smaller ones are always the most fun. The PCX is no exception. My wife loves it - that is her first bike as well and I just can't seem to stay away from it. I ride it to work as much as I can.

I am still trying to decide what to get once my little CBR sells and the PCX is very close to the top of my list right now (long with a Vespa GTS 300 Super or a Honda Forza 300 - improbable at this point).

I think scooters are the way to go. Easy to ride, no gears, no shifting, no heat coming from the engine cooking your legs... The list goes on.

Sometimes I really wonder why they aren't more popular than they are. But then again, I live in Texas where everything has to be bigger.