Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #481
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I really like the style and features of this scoot but when I sat on it I felt cramped. I am not a tall guy but that hump on the seat just does not work for me. If I bought one I would need to have the seat re-done.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #482
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
I really like the style and features of this scoot but when I sat on it I felt cramped. I am not a tall guy but that hump on the seat just does not work for me. If I bought one I would need to have the seat re-done.
It's easy enough to do a "humpectomy." Several here have done it. I expected that I'd want to chop that off of my seat, but it really hasn't been an issue once we were out riding. My wife's legs are longer than mine (even though I'm taller), and she likes the support from the hump.

You can get an aftermarket seat; or remove the hump, cut out the plastic under where the bolts were, and recover the seat.

Options.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #483
gaijinrider
Positively positive

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
It will drive up the price, and on a scoot this lightweight, I don't think it is necessary.
Jim
On the contrary, it might not. As models age, Japanese companies tend to offer more upgrades to their vehicles (cars, bikes, or scooters) than discounting retail prices. When the PCX 125 came out in 2009, the price was about the same as now which is around 300,000 (~$3,000 give or take). The first model had no ESP and the center stand wasn't reinforced. The 2012 model had some modifications which made it a "newer" model. The ESP was added and the center stand was reinforced. Still the price was set at about the same as 3 years back. So, adding an ABS to a now approaching 5-year old model is bound to happen to justify maintaining the current price levels. My 2 yen.
gaijinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #484
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,474
No PCX riding for us for the past 3 weeks but lots of fun riding a 1200GS in France. We did about 1,200 miles from Brittany all the way down to Northern Spain. Here's a pic from Saint Emilion, the wine capital of the world.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #485
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oh, and for those of you who have seen pictures of my wife, here's another one: (yes I put her on a pedestal - lol)

Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #486
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is a perfect example of what I have been complaining about. Why does a 250-300cc scooter have to be so big and heavy? The Forza is 153 pounds heavier than an Elite 250? I wonder why. I sure wish Honda still made the original Elite 250, or something very similar to it with basically the same dimensions.

I have found 125cc scooters are perfect for around town and on rural roads. The Vino 125 has a wet weight of only 240 pounds, and is short with small wheels, which makes it highly maneuverable. The PCX150 is 286 pounds wet weight, 46 pounds more.
46 pounds more due to larger wheels. Liquid cooling. Longer wheelbase. As for why the Forza is so heavy (and expensive), heck if I know. Doesn't make sense to me. It weighs more than a new CB500F/R/X. It costs more, and has only 60% of the engine. Perhaps the Forza is going to be built in Japan, as opposed to elsewhere in Asia?

One thing to keep in mind about the "big and heavy" scooters is that weight is a boon on the highway. The scooter is more stable and less likely to be blown around. Also, it would be interesting to compare swingarm lengths and rear suspension travel. I suspect that both go up as the scoots get larger.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #487
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
i too wish for a more powerful scooter with smaller wheels. the Vespa 200-300's are fine but the weight and riding position (for me) keep it from feeling as flickable as some

i parked next to a Kymco People 200 or 300 today and man....that looks like a neat scooter to ride. its smaller and looks like it would be a good city bike. but i want 12in wheels!

Aprillia SportCity 250 also comes to mind. smaller, lightweight, 250cc. but plz....someone shrink them wheels!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #488
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

I've been riding the PCX with the wife on the back for the past few evenings and it's been great. We've been mixing city street with back roads. We come out when there's about an hour of sun left in the day. The sky is beautiful at that time and the temperature is starting to go down as well. We cruise at 40-45 and we can't seem to get enough!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #489
Kattzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I've been riding the PCX with the wife on the back for the past few evenings and it's been great. We've been mixing city street with back roads. We come out when there's about an hour of sun left in the day. The sky is beautiful at that time and the temperature is starting to go down as well. We cruise at 40-45 and we can't seem to get enough!
That was my favorite thing on the PCX. It's perfectly happy at that speed and a blast to ride. It's a great scoot.
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #490
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,555
Does anyone know if Honda is going to have a 2014 PCX 150? Or will it be one and done?
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #491
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Does anyone know if Honda is going to have a 2014 PCX 150? Or will it be one and done?
honda will surely continue to produce the PCX 150 due to its popularity worldwide.

i suppose your question more specifically is; will honda USA offer the PCX 150 in their 2014 lineup? good question!
haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #492
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I know my dealer has sold a few so I could go as far as saying that other dealers have as well. I don't see why Honda would stop selling it in the US. I just hope they bring in new colors. Enough with red and black. Let's get blue, grey, silver, yellow. A yellow one sure would be nice.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #493
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I know my dealer has sold a few so I could go as far as saying that other dealers have as well. I don't see why Honda would stop selling it in the US. I just hope they bring in new colors. Enough with red and black. Let's get blue, grey, silver, yellow. A yellow one sure would be nice.
Stopped by the local Honda dealer today. The PCX that was on the floor last time was gone.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #494
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
I'm riding the PCX150 while my CBR is down for aero mods and loving it. What a great machine. Comfortable, warm with the big windscreen on, and over 100mpgUS. Just twist and go. My top speed is up to 68mph with the DrPulley weights even with the top box on the back.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #495
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
Tick, tick, tick... down to single digits for days left on our contract here in the PNW. Looking forward to getting back to the scoots. Maybe some playtime on our way back.

Just know that it warms my heart to see you folks posting some PCX specific stuff here - thanks!

Captain Jim

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/08/what-day.html