ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #586
Kattzoo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 19
PCX mileage

I very rarely got less than 100 mpg on my 150.t was under that. I always felt cheated if i I did see top speeds right at 68-70 under perfect conditions. A friend of mine would see much better mileage than I did with a large windscreen. She would get 110 easily. I thought the larger shield should have taken that down a bit, but in her case, it didn't.
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #587
CaptnJim
Scootist
 
CaptnJim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
Oddometer: 603
I'd like to think that I am not easily influenced... you know, a free-thinkin' kinda guy who makes decisions based on his own desires. Well, OK, you all know that I am riding a scooter because my lovely wife said, "Let's get a couple scooters." But that aside, I decided all on my own that I like this scooter stuff.

We spent most of the day on the PCXes, and had a great time. Oh, it may have been the perfect weather, the fact that we are moved back in and have no "projects" or a schedule, or maybe it was the fact that it's been 5 months since I had some PCX time.

Some of you know that the wife and I spent the past 5 months on our boat, most of that time doing a contract captain gig. OK, that was the wife's idea, too - we're retired, but she likes what she calls these "fun summer jobs." During that time away, I rented scooters a couple times, but this forum was my daily dose of scooter-mania.

You folks helped. Really. I enjoyed the ride reports, the discussion of all the different bikes... the Grom debates and the Forza anticipation. On an island all summer, a scooter would have been fun... there was just no way to get the boat, all our stuff, AND the scooters there, without a lot of expense and/or time. The discussions here kept me in scooter-mode.

Our time there would have been more fun if we had the scooters along. It was my decision to not leave other stuff behind and haul the scoots. I was in work-mode, though... we both put in plenty of hours.

I initially picked the PCXes after some research. Still had a motorcycle (V-Strom) back home. No real risk. After spending some time with the scooters, I knew they were enough. For now. Maybe for a long time.

Then, that time away. Talk here about highway speeds; scoots that would run 85 mph or more. No - the PCX is enough. I drove boats; during some of the long stretches, I thought, "Faster would get us to the action sooner; or push the trip range." And these are relatively fast boats (for their size). The company also has one slower boat that the boss asked me to drive; finesse and strategy made that an interesting boat to run. I only mention that to show that I am adaptable. But, I know what I like.

That Forza looked interesting, though. Enough so that when we were done working, I looked in a couple Honda dealerships. Didn't find one with a sales person who could even fake a little excitement. I did a "sit test" with the Forza and a PCX... and the PCX was more comfortable, for me.

But, still.

When we got home, after 5 months there were some "projects." High on that list, for me, was getting the scooters out. I slow charged those little batteries (hey, I've been looking at banks of 8D batteries all summer) and got the scoots ready to run yesterday. Amongst the other projects, we took 'em to the store, and I made a run to a friend's place on the other side of town. A few miles, lots of smiles.

Today, we spent most of the day on the scoots. Yeah, the PCX really is "just right" for our use. Comfortable. Light (easy to move around). Peppy... not rip your arms out of their sockets kinda power, but I am getting to be a grown up. Not all the way there, but getting. Easy. These scoots were fine on a 65 mph speed limit highway, good for some 40 mph back roads, running by the beach, making a grocery run. And FUN!

The absence made me wonder if more is better. Nope, better is better. The PCX is the better fit for our use. We're not looking to do 500 mile days at 80 mph. BTDT. I have a lot of travel left in me, but I like taking "home" with me these days... and using the scoots to explore.

We left our boat in the Pacific Northwest. We haven't made a decision on working next summer (we have been asked to come back), but we will be in a good position to have the boat and/or the RV there, AND the scoots.

In the meantime, I'm gonna have me some fun on this PCX! Today was just the start. Again.

Jim
__________________
Current ride:
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #588
samthg
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
In the meantime, I'm gonna have me some fun on this PCX! Today was just the start. Again.

Jim
Capt, we gotta have pics!

We need some mini-TX sized scooter ride reports.

I've always enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing!
samthg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #589
CaptnJim
Scootist
 
CaptnJim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Capt, we gotta have pics!

We need some mini-TX sized scooter ride reports.

I've always enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing!
One of these days, I'm going to strap on the GoPro my wife got me this summer. In the meantime, it's kinda hard to get photos while you're ON the scoot. I'm not into video, not crazy about the extreme wide angle with the GoPro, but I'll dust it off one day and play with it.

Today, while driving across the causeway, the turquoise and blue of the water of the Laguna Madre (the bay between South Padre Island and the mainland) was breath-taking. It's illegal (and stupid) to stop on the causeway (speed limit 55 mph, no shoulder), but I wish I could share that view with you. No, I didn't stop for a photo.

A person has to make their own adventure... but the roads in deep south Texas do not lend themselves to great bike riding. The scoot will be my main means of getting around for a while - just 'cause. It may not be much to write about, not much "adventure" in going out to lunch, but I'll have a big ol' smile on my face.

Jim
__________________
Current ride:
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #590
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,304
Thanks for all of the economy numbers. The PCX seems to get about 30% better fuel economy than my Reflex does yet still is capable of moving with rush hour traffic. I may have a closer look at one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattzoo
I very rarely got less than 100 mpg on my 150.t was under that. I always felt cheated if i I did see top speeds right at 68-70 under perfect conditions. A friend of mine would see much better mileage than I did with a large windscreen. She would get 110 easily. I thought the larger shield should have taken that down a bit, but in her case, it didn't.
This is very interesting to read. Is it possible that her weight has something to do with it? And, a higher windscreen may make her more aerodynamic than you (in addition to her being [possibly] lighter).
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #591
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO
 
maddiedog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Marietta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 125
Going back a bit to the valve adjustment discussion... There's a great step by step how to here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24.


Back to the current discussion, aerodynamics might have some to do with fuel economy. I have an even bigger windshield, and I regularly get 95-100mpg on my 2011 PCX 125. I do only weigh 155lbs, although I carry at least 50lbs of cargo when travelling. Here's my fuelly, that I haven't updated in thousands of miles:



Here's my PCX with the taller windshield:



There's an entire forum of information over at http://www.hondapcx.org if you want even more info on the scooter, Bronco368. The PCX 150 is where it's at -- it's 5-10mph faster top end, and quicker overall, than the PCX 125, with the same fuel economy because Honda changed the engine design between the two models. They're cosmetically identical.
__________________
Life's short, play naked!

http://www.hondapcx.org
maddiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #592
Kattzoo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 19
Very tactful way to ask the weight question! LOL. If push came to shove, I'd be a little lighter. Neither one of us would be on the heavier side. It is possible that coming off motorcycles I rode mine harder. The gas mileage difference when on for months until I switched to the Majesty. I thought it may be the aerodynamics as well. I had always heard a windshield hurt your mpg, but never cared enough to do the research.

Just thought I'd toss that information out there for those looking at MPG data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Thanks for all of the economy numbers. The PCX seems to get about 30% better fuel economy than my Reflex does yet still is capable of moving with rush hour traffic. I may have a closer look at one.

This is very interesting to read. Is it possible that her weight has something to do with it? And, a higher windscreen may make her more aerodynamic than you (in addition to her being [possibly] lighter).
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #593
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AMAC1680's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville Fl/Mantoloking NJ
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Going back a bit to the valve adjustment discussion... There's a great step by step how to here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24.


Back to the current discussion, aerodynamics might have some to do with fuel economy. I have an even bigger windshield, and I regularly get 95-100mpg on my 2011 PCX 125. I do only weigh 155lbs, although I carry at least 50lbs of cargo when travelling. Here's my fuelly, that I haven't updated in thousands of miles:



Here's my PCX with the taller windshield:



There's an entire forum of information over at http://www.hondapcx.org if you want even more info on the scooter, Bronco368. The PCX 150 is where it's at -- it's 5-10mph faster top end, and quicker overall, than the PCX 125, with the same fuel economy because Honda changed the engine design between the two models. They're cosmetically identical.
Damn beautiful scoot!
Great lines and everything is in proportion, no "bloated" look.

Not to mention IMO white is the bomb!

Be Big,
AMAC
__________________
Mobilizing Americas Hereos
www.SEGS4VETS.org
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #594
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer
 
gore-tx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 1,894
I've enjoyed commuting on the PCX for 4 days in a row but tomorrow is Friday so I'm riding the Grom! Awwwww yea!
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub (his and hers)
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #595
CaptnJim
Scootist
 
CaptnJim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I've enjoyed commuting on the PCX for 4 days in a row but tomorrow is Friday so I'm riding the Grom! Awwwww yea!
Casual Friday?? I'll be interested to get your take on the difference.

Happy commuting!

Jim
__________________
Current ride:
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #596
Bronco638
Nobody Home
 
Bronco638's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Itasca, IL
Oddometer: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog
Here's my PCX with the taller windshield:



There's an entire forum of information over at http://www.hondapcx.org if you want even more info on the scooter, Bronco368.
Thanks for the link, I will have a look over there was well.

Who makes the windscreen on your scoot?

Is the rear rack Honda or after-market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattzoo
Very tactful way to ask the weight question! LOL
__________________
There are some simple thruths......and dogs know what they are - Joseph Duemer

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #597
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer
 
gore-tx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Casual Friday?? I'll be interested to get your take on the difference.

Happy commuting!

Jim
Quick post after this morning's rider:

Grom is:

More fun (more involved/ gear shifting vs. automatic)
Better suspension
Better brakes (you can really tell the difference)
Better riding position (I like the feet under seat riding position better)
Worse seat

PCX is:

More practical
Better at high speed (this thing is on rails)
Higher top speed


You can't tell a Grom from a PCX from an acceleration point of view from 0 to 30 mph.
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub (his and hers)
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #598
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO
 
maddiedog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Marietta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
Damn beautiful scoot!
Great lines and everything is in proportion, no "bloated" look.

Not to mention IMO white is the bomb!

Be Big,
AMAC
Thank ya! I love my PCX, best bike I've owned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Thanks for the link, I will have a look over there was well.

Who makes the windscreen on your scoot?

Is the rear rack Honda or after-market?
That's a Givi 323DT. I bought it here: http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-D322-R...da-PCX125-2010

The rear rack's way aftermarket. I bought one from Thailand and had to do some major modifications to actually use it. It was a major hassle... The saga of the backrest is here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20#p29
__________________
Life's short, play naked!

http://www.hondapcx.org
maddiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #599
CaptnJim
Scootist
 
CaptnJim's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
Oddometer: 603
A first attempt at a short video with the GoPro on the PCX...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/10/first-attempt.html

A lotta time to wind up with a minute worth of video. I may just stick with shooting stills.

Jim
__________________
Current ride:
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #600
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Southwest
Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
A first attempt at a short video with the GoPro on the PCX...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/10/first-attempt.html

A lotta time to wind up with a minute worth of video. I may just stick with shooting stills.

Jim
Is the video quality set very low?

Almost seemed abstract

I watched it from my phone. Cool to see some action. Should have had the wife do a drive by. Didn't see much of the PCX's in action.
__________________
1992 Kawasaki ZX6
http://chillislives.blogspot.com/
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014