Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #61
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
"Freight/setup combined came to $478.00"

"Dealer handling $199.00"

Aren't these two the same?! Damn "Stealer" fees!
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #62
forasong
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardguy View Post
"Freight/setup combined came to $478.00"

"Dealer handling $199.00"

Aren't these two the same?! Damn "Stealer" fees!
3 separate charges, and all 3 dealers I visited had them, at varying rates.

Freight was shipping/delivery costs to get the bike to the dealer.

Setup was for the service department to hook everything up, test. The dealer I bought from told me these costa (freight and setup) separately, but combined them on the final sales sheet to get to our common bottom line. I don't remember what they were separately, because all I cared about at that point was getting to the lowest point they would sell / the highest I would go, which was $4400.

The dealer handling charge, which again all 3 tacked on, was explained as the dealer markup to cover office staff and general operation of the dealership, since the markup on the scooter is so low.

I agree, "Stealer fees," but at least the last dealer was willing to come down several hundred on a hot new bike that is short on supply and possibly high in demand, and again, it's a year 'round riding season down here. Similar situation to when the Miata first came out and some dealers were taking bids starting at $5000 above sticker.
forasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #63
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Honda scoot

How much storage space under the seat? Also if a small Givi top case was added would you still have room for two up riding? CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #64
Scootervillain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by forasong View Post
3 separate charges, and all 3 dealers I visited had them, at varying rates.

Freight was shipping/delivery costs to get the bike to the dealer.

Setup was for the service department to hook everything up, test. The dealer I bought from told me these costa (freight and setup) separately, but combined them on the final sales sheet to get to our common bottom line. I don't remember what they were separately, because all I cared about at that point was getting to the lowest point they would sell / the highest I would go, which was $4400.

The dealer handling charge, which again all 3 tacked on, was explained as the dealer markup to cover office staff and general operation of the dealership, since the markup on the scooter is so low.

I agree, "Stealer fees," but at least the last dealer was willing to come down several hundred on a hot new bike that is short on supply and possibly high in demand, and again, it's a year 'round riding season down here. Similar situation to when the Miata first came out and some dealers were taking bids starting at $5000 above sticker.

Well thanks for the break down. That's around what I would expect to pay here in San Diego as well. I was pretty surprised at the bargains the other guys were getting.

However, If I could get one of their dealers to ship to me for under $600, it might be worth while to buy in Michigan (or wherever!!)... Don't get me wrong - I understand they need to cover freight charges and set up labor - but tacking on $600 or more to the MSRP of each bike (keeping taxes and DMV fees separate) is ridiculous.

If the dealer wants to make a better profit, they should offer deals on riding gear and accessories, give customers a significant discount on 1st service (if not free). Building a relationship with a customer is much easier when you make them perceive value in that relationship (as opposed to price gouging them at every opportunity).

I'm not quite ready to buy a new bike (at least not in July) so maybe if I wait a month or three I can get a little more of a break. Anyways - I'm glad another inmate here has a PCX... Enjoy your new ride! Post pics!!
Scootervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #65
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
All of those extra charges, except DMV fees and tax, are dealer profit, pure and simple. And that's in addition to the profit built into the MSRP, which on a smaller bike is not that much. Dealers use those fees for profit when a bike is in demand and as a bargaining tool when the bikes are not selling.

The fact that most dealers seem to be charging these fees on the PCX tells me that it is in demand or at least dealers believe that it is or have convinced the buyers that it is.

Keep in mind that $4400 OTD is still less than the MSRP on the SH150i was - Wasn't it $4499?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #66
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I have a hard time believing any scooter is in enough demand to command a premium. The Japanese motorcycle dealers I know hereabouts don't have a lot of enthusiasm about scooters in general because they spend so much time gathering dust on their showroom floors. And I haven't seen a lot of publicity from Honda about this one, except in motorcycle or scooter related publications.

Sportbikes and cruisers are the real movers around here. When I was a kid, it was 2-stroke dirt bikes.

But who knows? Maybe times are changing.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #67
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
I have a hard time believing any scooter is in enough demand to command a premium. The Japanese motorcycle dealers I know hereabouts don't have a lot of enthusiasm about scooters in general because they spend so much time gathering dust on their showroom floors. And I haven't seen a lot of publicity from Honda about this one, except in motorcycle or scooter related publications.

Sportbikes and cruisers are the real movers around here. When I was a kid, it was 2-stroke dirt bikes.

But who knows? Maybe times are changing.
Honestly it depends on the locality. I must of been to my dealer about 5 - 6 times before finally buying my scooter and every time sales people were asked questions about scooters not bikes.

I could see gas prices driving initial purchasers onto two wheels who don't want to jump in feet first on a 6k bike just so they can get above interstate speeds comfortably.

This is all just speculation of course. I'm not exactly a seasoned rider.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #68
Moat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Two new reviews - what a dandy little scoot!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/...md-first-ride/

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91349.html
Moat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #69
forasong
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
How much storage space under the seat? Also if a small Givi top case was added would you still have room for two up riding? CMS
Helmet fits fine. Then I tried putting a basketball under the seat--worked as well, with a little room left over.

Not familiar with Givi top cases (other than a visit to the website), but it would have to mount at the very back to still allow for two up. Someone else can probably answer this better than I can.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #70
forasong
n00b

Checking brake fluid

This is a question for Kmart, InlineSkate, and anyone else who has already has a PCX 150. Mine arrived today (full review to come, but so far I love it). I gave the manual a quick glance and then went for several short rides. Then about an hour ago I sat down to read the entire manual and get familiar with everything.

I read the section about checking brake fluid. The front brake reservoir is conveniently located and it was very easy to see that the fluid level was what it should be. When I checked the CBS brake fluid inspection window (to the right of the ignition switch), I couldn't see any fluid. I got a flashlight and rocked the scooter a bit, but still couldn't see anything. It's a foggy plastic reservoir, which does make it harder to see.

I called the dealer's service department and asked if the prep guy was sure he filled it. The service guy went to check, and when he came back he said that the bikes arrive with the brake fluid already in the bike--it's not added by the dealer. He said it could be so clear because the fluid is new, and right at the full level so I might not be able to see it. Of course, in my mind I'm thinking the factory guy forgot to fill the CBS reservoir. Of course the dealer will take a look at it if I take it in, but I don't want to make that trip if I don't have to.

So, if you have this bike, can you easily see the fluid level in the CBS reservoir? And if yes, does it have a color?

And another question came to mind as I'm writing this. The salesperson who delivered the bike said not to exceed 40 mph during the break-in period. The service guy I talked to about the brake fluid said I don't need to be concerned with my speed, just no fast starts or stops or long distances without varying speed. The manual is silent on any speed restrictions during break-in. Were you given any advice? I agree re: fast starts/hard brakes and the need to vary speed, but I think I should be able to go whatever the speed limit is.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #71
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
GPS top speed

After you 150 owners get'em broken in, I would like to know the true GPS verified top speed. Based on my zuma 125 I figure 5 mph under top speed would be a good safe cruising speed without sounding like its gonna blow up.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #72
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I checked the CBS reservoir on my PCX and can't see any fluid movement either. With a bit of indirect light from the flashlight I can see a yellowish tint so I can only assume the reservoir is completely filled. I personally wouldn't worry about it and I don't think this is an issue. I'm going to install the Givi screen tomorrow which requires a bit of disassembly and will try to check if the reservoir is visible from a different angle.
Kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #73
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Checked mine as well fluid doesn't really move but has a slight tint.

I wasn't given any advice by my dealer in regards to the break in period. The only thing he was really adamant about was making sure I got the oil changed at 600 miles due to metal fragments from the break in period.

Personally I have tried to avoid hard starts I currently live in mid-michigan though so <40 mph is really unavoidable for me. I did wait to do a Bay City - Detroit trip after I hit the 300 mile mark though.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #74
forasong
n00b

Thanks...

...for checking the brake fluid issue! Not concerned about it after your input.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #75
GetYourOwn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Just picked up a red one at my local dealer here in NC. 3770.00 out the door including tax and tag. Looking forward to breaking it in and putting some miles on it.