Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #106
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Which Givi trunk and mount are those. Do you remember the model numbers? They look perfect on the bike.
The rack is a Givi E231 and the box is E30N. The whole thing was $135 from compacc.com. It does require drilling 4 holes in the tail plastic piece to fit the rack so it's not a plug and play solution but it's not all that difficult either.
Kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #107
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Thanks. I need to order my windshield from them as well.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #108
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Well, my plan to buy a PCX150 fell through when I discovered how often the valves have to be checked, and what the procedure is for doing it. Sure glad I didn't buy it and then find this out. I cannot believe a modern engine (Honda no less) would need it's valves done so often. The first gen Honda Met did not require a valve check until 10,000 miles. The Yamaha Majesty only requires a valve check at 26,000 miles, but the whole scooter has to be disassembled to do it. The Burgman 400 also requires very frequent and very labor intensive valve adjustments. Before I get my mind set on another scooter, I will have to check into stuff like this. Looks like all the "new technology" didn't help in the maintenance dept.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #109
sendler
Studly Adventurer

It only has 2 valves. With screw adjusters. Right in the front with nothing in the way. It looks like a 20 minute job with no parts.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #110
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I rode the PCX150 to work today. 40 miles each way. Backroads at 55 mph on the way up and superhighway at 60- 65 on the way home. Whoever said you can't go on the big road because of the wind performance needs more experience. This bike is very stable in dirty air as it is on gravel and the air coming over the front is calm. The speedo of my US version is dead on with the gps. I also set up to check the odometer and it too seemed to be pretty close but I forgot to check it again more toward the end of the ride. I only used full throttle a few times, even staying off the stop on the biggest hills. There is some sort of electronic limit at 68 mph which comes on as a slow surge. And I can hit this speed on the flat with no draft. I oscillates smothly in a sine wave at maybe 1-2 Hz. This is much slower and gentler than most rev limiters I have seen which have more of 10Hz sawtooth pattern. I got my tach in the mail today so I can check to see what rpm this is and if it is a rev limit or a speed limit. If I had another 3 mph, I would never get dropped or become an obstacle in the truck lane. I may have to see if my variator is letting the belt all the way out and make a change to something else if it isn't. It's going to be hard to get really accurate fill ups. I filled to the bar at the bottom of the filler neck last night but tonight as I was adding fuel it was low, low, low, and then splash! Fuel shot right out the top and made a mess. So I didn't get a good fuel economy calculation but it looks like at speeds over 60 mph/ 100kph, my CBR250R will beat the PCX on gas. I still enjoy riding it though and if I wasn't running late both ways, I could keep it to 50 mph on the back roads and turn a good number. The high beam is awesome! Better than many cars. The tires shake a little. Maybe I will ask my excellent Honda shop manager if warranty will balance them once since there are no weights on either wheel. There is a slight tendency for the rear top hop sideways just a little bit over some of the bigger humps in the highway that develop across the paved over expansion joints. All in all a really nice bike. Especially the way that Honda has smoothed the air over the front of the high quality bodywork.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #111
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Well, my plan to buy a PCX150 fell through when I discovered how often the valves have to be checked, and what the procedure is for doing it. Sure glad I didn't buy it and then find this out. I cannot believe a modern engine (Honda no less) would need it's valves done so often. The first gen Honda Met did not require a valve check until 10,000 miles. The Yamaha Majesty only requires a valve check at 26,000 miles, but the whole scooter has to be disassembled to do it. The Burgman 400 also requires very frequent and very labor intensive valve adjustments. Before I get my mind set on another scooter, I will have to check into stuff like this. Looks like all the "new technology" didn't help in the maintenance dept.
How often do the valves require checking?

Edit: Never mind. I looked it up. Every 2500 miles. If you have the dealer do this every 2500 miles, You will be throwing away all the money you saved on gas.

My Kymco Super 8 also has a 2500 mile valve adjustment interval but It is very easy to do and costs nothing since I do it myself.

My Aprilia SC250 on the other hand, has a 12,500 mile interval but it's such a PITA that there is no way I'd be willing to do it every 2500 miles.

Before writing off the PCX you might want to find out how difficult the valve adjustment is.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:07 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #112
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Thanks, Klaviator!

Howdy,

Every 2500 miles? My Sh150i requires oil changes at that interval, and yours truly may just have to learn how to do this at home. Oil changes at the dealership are around $100. An earlier poster said it: It'd be best to see whether those valve adjustments can be done at home..
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #113
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Just talked to my dealer mechanic today. He said he'll do the valves for about $100. For me at least it isn't prohibitively expensive to get it done professionally, but it isn't cheap either. He didn't believe me at first when I told him it was every 2,500 miles. He then checked his book and was surprised.

I definitely need to find a service manual though. Anyone know of where to get one?

InlineSkate screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 02:51 PM
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #114
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,143
Thumb Fuel Economy

As already mentioned, it is difficult to accurately top off the fuel tank. I put fuel in my new PCX150 for the first time today. The odo read 124.4 miles since I picked it up at the dealer. I put 1.26 US gal in the tank. Not too shabby, but it made me wonder if I didn't get the tank topped off. My Ruckus only gets around 100 mpg, but it works a LOT harder to move me around than the PCX. (Note: My 15 y.o. son rides the Ruckus, although he now takes the PCX when I'm not looking.)

The PCX gets ridden to work and for errands. In town, about a 2 mile trip one-way. Hardly ever go more than 40 mph. When I picked it up I rode it to the next town and it had trouble going more than 62 mph, but with 5 miles on the odo and a head wind, that didn't surprise me; although I was expecting an honest 70 mph or so on the top end.

Surprising balanced scooter with good initial acceleration to keep up with and/or out run traffic in town.

I have the Honda top box mounted on the rear, which is handy, but definitely not the quality or style of the Givi.

Photos? Yeah, right. I've got some nice ones from Beartooth Pass this week on my GS.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #115
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I haven't bought anything yet. I checked the valve adjustment procedure on
http://www.hondapcx.org It looks like about a 3 hour job, but based on my prior experience it shouldn't need to be done but every 5000-6000 miles. I believe the manual shows 4000 miles, but it is supposed to be done at 600 miles. That is going to take a lot of the fun out of buying a brand new scooter, then having to tear it apart in 600 miles to check the valves. It is easily done once you get to the motor, it looks like about 95% of the labor is in removing and replacing the body. I know how easy those panels are to break is why I figured so much time. Have to be really careful with them. $100 for a dealer to do it means they are probably figuring on one hour (that's the labor rate around here), which probably means they would probably not be very careful. I also wonder how many times you can remove and reinstall those panels before the threads strip out.

2500 miles is nothing for an oil change. I have 2 scooters and a Yamaha XT225 that I change the oil in every 1000 miles. If I have been riding all day in the dusty AZ desert, the oil in the XT often gets changed after the ride, plus the chain and oil filter get cleaned and reoiled.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #116
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
valve adjustment procedure .
I looked at that too. I'll have to let you know if there is a short cut from underneath or if the tank really does have to come off.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #117
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
I haven't bought anything yet. I checked the valve adjustment procedure on
http://www.hondapcx.org It looks like about a 3 hour job, but based on my prior experience it shouldn't need to be done but every 5000-6000 miles. I believe the manual shows 4000 miles, but it is supposed to be done at 600 miles. That is going to take a lot of the fun out of buying a brand new scooter, then having to tear it apart in 600 miles to check the valves. It is easily done once you get to the motor, it looks like about 95% of the labor is in removing and replacing the body. I know how easy those panels are to break is why I figured so much time. Have to be really careful with them. $100 for a dealer to do it means they are probably figuring on one hour (that's the labor rate around here), which probably means they would probably not be very careful. I also wonder how many times you can remove and reinstall those panels before the threads strip out.

2500 miles is nothing for an oil change. I have 2 scooters and a Yamaha XT225 that I change the oil in every 1000 miles. If I have been riding all day in the dusty AZ desert, the oil in the XT often gets changed after the ride, plus the chain and oil filter get cleaned and reoiled.
Do you think it would be worth attempting something like that on your own? Looking at the pictures the whole bike has to basically come apart.

Extremely disappointed that such a technical procedure has to be done so often. Hell the oil has a recommended 5,000 mi interval.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #118
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
It's an easy job on my DR350--easy access, simple procedure. But if the PCX requires removing the body work, then it's a ridiculous PITA.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #119
sendler
Studly Adventurer

One guy on PCX.org has done 3 different PCX's a total of 5 times and has the valve adjustment down to 1.5 hours.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #120
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,459
I could adjust the valves on my Kymco people 150 in about 20 minutes but it takes about 1.5 hours to do the valves on my People S 250. thats not that bad though. I might could get it down to one hour with a little practice but you got to factor in the geezer factor.I'm not young and agile any more.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote