Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #241
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
End of day….some final prep for tomorrow’s final moto/supermoto.

Well done Josh!
Just what I wanted to see. Nearly there.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #242
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,045
BTW if you want to get a good idea of how brutal Day 4 was someone posted a video on the ECEA site.

Look at that shoot around 2:20, scary as can be. Remember these are some of the best riders in the world. I'd love to hear Josh's take on that downhill.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #243
trailmarker
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thank you for posting the pictures, they are great. What a fantastic experience for your whole family, something they will likely not forget. Good luck tomorrow.....I love the six days!
trailmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #244
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
Great pix. Too bad about Nick's Husky. Next year :)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #245
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 857
I just can't shout loud enough....Josh this is awesome.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #246
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Thanks so much for doing this.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #247
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Heros

Great riding Josh and team USA. Can't imagine being able to block out the pain and fatigue everyday. Picking my bike up after a crash and riding out injured is one thing but picking it up after an injury and racing another hundred miles is unthinkable. Picking it injured, ignoring the pain and racing for your team and country.... All HEROS in my book.

Thank you so much for allowing us to share this experience.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #248
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,045
I'll let the proud Dad post results, but well done Josh
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #249
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
F'n Awesome!!!!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #250
Holeshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Way to go Josh!

I'm blown away.. Just read the final results, I'm so very proud of Josh and his family.

That shot of Josh in the corner with the family in the background "leaning in" is priceless , very telling..

Congratulations!
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #251
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
38th in C1?

Excellent! Here's to Sardinia next year!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #252
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 857
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for Mike to post the details...

Medal details are here....

http://www.fim-isde-live.info/

Way to go Josh and the Knight family. I can't wait to hear more stories
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #253
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
BTW if you want to get a good idea of how brutal Day 4 was someone posted a video on the ECEA site.

Look at that shoot around 2:20, scary as can be. Remember these are some of the best riders in the world. I'd love to hear Josh's take on that downhill.
I had Josh watch that video. As soon as he saw the hill, he immediately said, "that doesn't even remotely show how steep that really was". Lots of guys were talking about that same section. He said Days 3 and 4 had all sorts of comparable obstacles. Here's some video of one of many gnarly hillclimbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo8W5...eature=related
Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #254
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Since the Idaho City Qualifier in early June of 2012, it seems our entire summer has been engulfed with preparations for this experience. Day 6 is complete and it is hard to believe it is all over. It has been an amazing experience for Josh and for our entire family. The support and interest of people from all over the world has been amazing. Thank you for all the encouragement in sharing both our story as well as the entire U.S. Team (from our perspective).

The entire mood among the riders was different starting at the end of Day 4. That was the big hurdle to overcome. Day 5, everyone was more jovial and relaxed and today was more of the same.

The format for Day 6 consisted of a final moto that was actually a supermoto (asphalt/dirt mix). I wasn’t quite sure what to think about this, but after 5 days of hard riding, the riders actually seemed to enjoy it.
Here is what the new impound at the start of the supermoto looked like this morning.

Josh and the other C1 riders waiting to get in to their bikes.

This pic is kind of blurry, but gives you an idea of the start. It was right on the infield area of the racecourse, on a grassy hill.

The start was off camber, and hung a hard right and then dumped the riders on to the asphalt track. Josh had walked the track and thought it looked “sketchy” with all the slick grass corners and asphalt transitions. He rode very conservatively and just wanted to finish without going down.

Josh and fellow U.S. rider Nick Canny from Connecticut, enjoying some supermoto time.

He finished and kept it on two wheels and was excited to have his first Six Days under his belt.

We then had the opportunity of watching the Trophy Teams and other riders complete their motos. It’s amazing how fast these guys can go regardless of the surface. Josh said he watched Mike Brown come flying into a corner and back it in supermoto style for about 100 feet and set himself up perfectly for the next corner. Mike Brown walked away from the competition in his E1 moto.

We then watched Charlie Mullins do the same in his moto. He nearly lapped the competition….a lot of fun to watch.

The next E2 moto had Kurt Caselli, Destry Abbott, Taylor Robert, Thad Duvall, and Andrew Delong all in the same race. The first gate drop, Delong got a great start, but the race was red-flagged due to someone jumping the gate early. On the second gate drop, Caselli got a horrible start and pinched off on the first corner and was in last place. There was very little opportunity for any passing on the supermoto track, so he didn’t have a great finish.

After the final moto, the real work began of breaking down bikes, re-packing crates, and getting the container ready.

Somehow we got all of Josh’s stuff back in his crate.

Thank you again for the support, encouragement, and insight. It’s been quite the amazing experience.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #255
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
I don't know about everyone else but I'm going to be watching this forum for any and all Josh updates...probably be bugging the crap outa you when the next qualifier gets near

Congrats on everything,great riding along with you!!!!!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote