User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
rat110 OP
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 488
Any automotive engineers here?

I have some questions about transplanting an older larger engine into a modern bike. This will be a NSW registered bike and I would like to know firstly if it's possible to install an older engine into a modern frame, and secondly where I can look up information as to what I would need to comply with so Im not wasting peoples time and my time, building this bike then not being able to ride it on the road.

THanks
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
splinters
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Talk to Troy Brodie at fink engineering he dose bikes and hotrods bluexp@optusnet.com.au cheers Phill
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
rat110 OP
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post
Talk to Troy Brodie at fink engineering he dose bikes and hotrods bluexp@optusnet.com.au cheers Phill
Thank you Splinters.
I'll shoot him an email soon.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
JMick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
No experience modding bikes but have done a few cars. Generally, if the motor is older than the chassis you could have an issue if there were different ADRs in place. I imagine that as long as the old/new motor didn't produce bucket loads more power (thus possibly requiring upgraded brakes) then exhaust emissions would be the issue.

IE if the motor came out of a bike with more relaxed emission standards than the frame it's going into you would have to prove that the motor met the newer requirements. I know with cars this is often difficult/impossible to achieve without going to LPG only or modernising to an ECU and injection.

Mick

Edit: you say larger engine. The weight could well be a factor also. To save time and money with the engineer try to get the weights of the existing and replacement engines and the ADRs that each bike complies with.
JMick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat110 View Post
I have some questions about transplanting an older larger engine into a modern bike. This will be a NSW registered bike and I would like to know firstly if it's possible to install an older engine into a modern frame, and secondly where I can look up information as to what I would need to comply with so Im not wasting peoples time and my time, building this bike then not being able to ride it on the road.

THanks
Let me see if I have this right...?

You want to take an old superceded model, larger capacity engine and graft it into a more modern contemporary design bodywork and chassis?

Hmmmm...? I'm pretty sure it can be done, but there are some ADR concessions that you may have to take into account;

Like for instance; I seem to recall the need to fit equally as outdated front fork design and suspension components (in realation to the engine) are a mandatory requirement in such cases. It's quite similar really in that respect; to the braking upgrade requirements that JMick mentioned in the post above. It all has to do with the engine output not exceeding the suspension performance specifications, and vice versa.

If you can't find anything about the requirements on the ADR site, might I suggest giving the brass at Yamaha Aust. a call, and ask them how they got the "new" Ténéré 660 through...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,155
Ah and so speaks the "voice of reason" Or as he's known over at Skunkworks HQ "that bloody Carpenter wowser". Why don't you go and pester little old ladies at the supermarket or something mate and leave us to our fun.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
As far as I understand it, to fit a different engine in a vehicle you need to pass the emissions standards of today (or the day you get it inspected).
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 278
look here to start

Here is a link to the National Codes of Practice 'Vehicle Standards Bulletins". Your engineer or state authority will be able to tell you which ones you need to comply with. Go for it.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...tion/bulletin/
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Ah and so speaks the "voice of reason" Or as he's known over at Skunkworks HQ "that bloody Carpenter wowser". Why don't you go and pester little old ladies at the supermarket or something mate and leave us to our fun.
hahaha...

I'll leave the little ol' ladies at the Supermarket for you olddog... so you have something to hit on... slim picken's in Mudgee eh?

As far as the Skunkworks HQ "wowser" title goes...? Huh, both a little hurt and unjustly monikered methink's...?

I have on many occassions voiced support and enthusiasm for the creations that you and Dr Frankennonsense create in that dungeon of his.

The Il'Monstro, the XR400 four etc. have always been followed with keen interest and the occassional bit of engineering feedback on my part. (I can remember waxing lyical with you about Italian steering head angles, rear swingarm pivots and many things monster-esque... back when you were contemplating your very own Itallion Stallion Galleon...? which turned out pretty okay... eh? )

The only Skunkwerx project I have voiced any real worry over is Pezz' latest attempt to cross an RGV 250 motor/chassis with an old DR 600 front legs and rear linkage/swingarm... for offroad duty as a "scrapper" ride.

So tell me Igor... how is the master of used parts getting along with his RGV mousetrap-cum- full floater catapult calculations anyway...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938542

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 01:45 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote