User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,689
09-10 Husky TE510 Issues?

I've tried to get an account over on Cafe Husky, but it takes a long time to get them to moderate your posts so it's worthless to me.

Husky TE510 (09-10)
I've read about fuel pump problems, clutch slave O-ring problems, vibration problems, cooling hose problems, crappy wire loom problems, etc..

And then I read about guys with 8000 miles on the bikes that have done literally nothing to them...other than ride the wheels off them.

Anyone here have experience with them? I'm going to look at 2 of these later this week with the intent to bring one home.

?????

Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post

And then I read about guys with 8000 miles on the bikes that have done literally nothing to them...other than ride the wheels off them.
That one is me, although it's got 9000 miles on it now. 2 quart sump equals my Kaw Versys sump, I change the Husky oil and filter about 800-1000 miles and the oil still has a little amber color to it. I had to put a new fuel pump in it, the OEM pump had sludged up sitting in the showroom twice in its early life, pumps can be gotten here http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus for $130, not an issue really. I've changed fuel filters 3 times, I get a $5 auto filter, works fine. Haven't had any problems with the hydr clutch. I guess it vibrates, but my hands have never gone to sleep, even after 200 mile days. No wiring problems. Whatever mileage you get out of rear tires, multiply that number by .5, cause these bikes will chew them up.

If you get a good one, nothing can touch it.

If you get a bad one, you'll pull all your hair out.

AustinJake screwed with this post 06-18-2012 at 01:39 PM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
MuscleGarunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Get the DRZ...
MuscleGarunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleGarunt View Post
Get the DRZ...
Drove a couple of those....no way will I be happy with one. I've had too many MX bikes to go back. Great bikes from all reports, but I know myself too well.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,920
I've had three 450 Huskies, all 2006. 2 of the 3 suffered case cracks at the main bearings. The other one cracked off the entire kickstarter case section. The basic bikes are good, the engine casess are made of glass. The main bearings were shot at right around 110 hours too, then I found the stress cracks inside.

For comparison sake, same rider and maintenance, my KTM 450SXf had gone 150 hours before it needed rings and the crank and bearings were all still in spec. I believe any recent KTM 4t can be rebuilt ten times over where I'd expect these Husky engines to be shot, cases included, when the top end is finished and the cases aint cheap either! Momma mia!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I've had three 450 Huskies, all 2006. 2 of the 3 suffered case cracks at the main bearings. The other one cracked off the entire kickstarter case section. The basic bikes are good, the engine casess are made of glass. The main bearings were shot at right around 110 hours too, then I found the stress cracks inside.

For comparison sake, same rider and maintenance, my KTM 450SXf had gone 150 hours before it needed rings and the crank and bearings were all still in spec. I believe any recent KTM 4t can be rebuilt ten times over where I'd expect these Husky engines to be shot, cases included, when the top end is finished and the cases aint cheap either! Momma mia!
Are the 06 engines made by the same manufacturer as the 09 and newer?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,184
I really wanted to believe that the Huskies were not grenades, but discovered so many problems that were way more common and big to ignore.

Examples,

Fuel pump failures...Not a bad fix but an issue none the less

Lower Rod Bearing Failures at extremely low hours...Solution...Tear apart engine, split crank, use a Kawasaki Lower Rod Bearing. Unacceptable in my book

Front Suspension....Blown fork seals are extremely common

Battery Mount design flaw...Battery falls out, knocks air filter off and engine sucks dirt.

EXTREMELY Lean fueling from the factory, causing overheating issues and blown radiator hoses.

Its a shame because I really wanted to own one, but have no interest in dealing with those issues. Not to mention I hadnt heard of the case cracking, and main bearing failures reported above.
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,920
My case issues on the ones cracked by the main bearings were probably manifested by the lower crank bearing heading south. The Kawi bearing was my plan till the cases were apart and the cracks discovered. The other one was a kickstarter kickback. Search that one too, no shortage of examples. There is one on my local CL with the whole assembly hanging out the side of the engine.

Great bikes but fragile cases/kickstarters/rods.

The 09s were just 06s with minor upgrades and FI. The cases were identical as I recall when I researched buying new ones.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Any symptoms to the bad crank bearings?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,266
So...at 6000+ miles of wringing it's neck, when should I be expecting this earth shattering kaboom you're talking about?

One fuel pump replacement, which was my fault...I didn't clean out the aftermarket IMS tank well enough, and it starved for fuel due to machining debris. Pump didn't actually fail, and I still have it as a spare.

Honestly, this thing has been about as bulletproof as a high performance plated dirt bike can be
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
So...at 6000+ miles of wringing it's neck, when should I be expecting this earth shattering kaboom you're talking about?

One fuel pump replacement, which was my fault...I didn't clean out the aftermarket IMS tank well enough, and it starved for fuel due to machining debris. Pump didn't actually fail, and I still have it as a spare.

Honestly, this thing has been about as bulletproof as a high performance plated dirt bike can be
LoL, and in steps the latest PR rep for Husqvarna North America.......

Now we all know that these crank bearing failures, case breaks, and fuel pump issues are all imaginary internet rumors.
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
LoL, and in steps the latest PR rep for Husqvarna North America.......

Now we all know that these crank bearing failures, case breaks, and fuel pump issues are all imaginary internet rumors.
There isn't a machine made that doesn't have its fair share of online reported problems. The noise to signal ratio on forums is very high. If everyone used your logic to decide on which bike to buy, no one would buy anything.

But, please...don't let that stop you from continuing to entertain us.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
My case issues on the ones cracked by the main bearings were probably manifested by the lower crank bearing heading south. The Kawi bearing was my plan till the cases were apart and the cracks discovered. The other one was a kickstarter kickback. Search that one too, no shortage of examples. There is one on my local CL with the whole assembly hanging out the side of the engine.

Great bikes but fragile cases/kickstarters/rods.

The 09s were just 06s with minor upgrades and FI. The cases were identical as I recall when I researched buying new ones.
Where is your local CL? I'd like to see what you're referring to. Maybe I can buy some spares from someone selling a bike with blow up cases.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
soft cases for sure. The oil filter screws strip out way too easily. Love the bike but wtf
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,685
Seems like most all the new design 4 stroke singles have issues at low miles,low miles meaning 13 or 14000 on the clock,I know some say theirs go for ever and a day with no issues but locally none seem to do that.
A friends extremely well cared for 535KTM made it to 12000 after being babied with pricey factory suggested oil and everything kept in spec,it wore out the top end. Then he had the factory big bore kit put in,............Boom! after 700 miles that way it became a shelf ornament/fragmentation device.
Huskys have their issues it sounds like as well. I know many thousands of people ride KTM 4 strokes lots,but,it takes a long time to put high miles on when mainly dirt riding,they certainly arent meant to be ridden on the street according to KTM.

Most dual sport riding is just riding, involving long distance,some of it just putting on miles to get to the good stuff,I dont know that a fancy race oriented 4 stroke is the answer for that.
I see used late model 4 stroke el tricko bikes for sale,they go cheap if at all.People know the fuse might be burned short and it will cost big money to be the guy caught out on it.

Having said that I sold my trick but still too heavy for singletrack KTM 4 stroke and ride a tricked out plated DRZe 400 with no worries,it is heavy,its not real fast,it might run for 50,000 miles,if it doesnt a whole new top end is under 300.00. There is at any given time on ebay 3000 parts for sale for it.
It IS fun to over ride the yellow pig and pass guys with their blinged out anodized out ultra spiff 10,000.00 wunder bikes,its just fun.

A newish 2 stroke is so much better for tight singletrack its not even a contest. The magazines push the latest trickest 4 strokes like they're the answer to everyone's question,the factories love selling boxcar loads of top end parts for them,then the cranks/cases later when they go bang from being ridden too much.
I dont buy into it.