User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
nitsuj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
BMW controls

I'm curious about something. Why are BMW hand controls so much different that the other makes? As everyone knows, on most modern Japanese bikes, you operate both signals from one switch on the left bar. On Harleys, the left signal is on the left bar, push once to signal, push again to cancel, ditto for the right bar. Beemer uses one button on each bar, then an entirely different button you push UP to cancel either signal. I'm not bashing, or complaining, so no need to get defensive of your chosen brand. I find no fault with any of the above layouts, you can get used to and easily use any of them. But I'm a curious sort of guy that likes to question things. Does anyone know if theres a reason BMW uses the odd layout and why they've stuck with it in the face of what seems like a pretty universal system?

I've searched, but using the terms "turn signals", "controls", "BMW" or any variation leads to more responses than I can wade through.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
I really prefer the BMW layout, and the Harley one as well, they are more intuitive and feel much more natural then that little button you flip to side to side. I think its BMW and Harley just doing there own thing on what they think is best and not just following the crowd. In my opinion it is the best layout, but obviously that subjective to me.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Yup i find it easier too.. Unique i guess
Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkil View Post
Yup i find it easier too.. Unique i guess

+1
It is whatever you are used to for most. I like the BMW signal arrangement but I'm not too fond of the horn button placement.
I believe the new BMW models (k-bikes) have more conventional switch gear.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
CBACH
Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer: 411
I find the left/right cancel switches very intuitive, although I believe they've given into peer pressure and have the single switch on the left on the new K1600 As long as they're still self-cancelling I don't really care and easily adapt to whatever I'm on.

"Well Charley.....how much of a pussy do you feel like now?"
CBACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
stan23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I think it's just BMW doing things their way and not giving a crap about what other's are doing.

Same with their cars. For the longest time, they had all the dashes designed to point towards the driver - because they feel that the driver should have sole control of the car. Now the latest cars have a more traditional dash config where it's not pointed at the driver.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
Because the Germans are right and everybody else is wrong.

I have not liked the BMW controls since 1974. But, then I'm old fashioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
I'm curious about something. Why are BMW hand controls so much different that the other makes? As everyone knows, on most modern Japanese bikes, you operate both signals from one switch on the left bar. On Harleys, the left signal is on the left bar, push once to signal, push again to cancel, ditto for the right bar. Beemer uses one button on each bar, then an entirely different button you push UP to cancel either signal. I'm not bashing, or complaining, so no need to get defensive of your chosen brand. I find no fault with any of the above layouts, you can get used to and easily use any of them. But I'm a curious sort of guy that likes to question things. Does anyone know if theres a reason BMW uses the odd layout and why they've stuck with it in the face of what seems like a pretty universal system?

I've searched, but using the terms "turn signals", "controls", "BMW" or any variation leads to more responses than I can wade through.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
I think it's just BMW doing things their way and not giving a crap about what other's are doing.

Same with their cars. For the longest time, they had all the dashes designed to point towards the driver - because they feel that the driver should have sole control of the car. Now the latest cars have a more traditional dash config where it's not pointed at the driver.
+1

A typically over engineered solution to a non-existant problem. Three switches in place of one. Brilliant.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
To me the single switch on left bar is a pain to set the turn left signal on - as you have to reach past the switch and pull it across. The Harley/BMW design is easier as you just need to push on one switch that is logically on the side you want on. I do however suspect that the Harley design is more intuitive with the cancel on the same switch even though I have never ridden a Harley.

BTW I also like the Hazard flasher operation on the BMW, press both sides at same time - simple and no need to move hands away from the bars to operate.

Of course I don't ride a BMW any longer so have to get used to the single switch again
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
I like the large size of the BMW switches, and that you can stab them with your thumbs. They're convenient for passing: stab left, pass, stab right, pull in, and stab to cancel. If you want a bigger cancel button, Wunderlich has them.

But, like many things, switchgear comes down to personal preference.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
stan23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
To me, the 3 switch turn signal deal is strange. I don't like using my right hand for anything but the throttle.

While we're here, let's talk about the even stranger kill switch.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
The GS (boxer and parallel twin) is the only bike in the current bmw line up that still uses the 3 button configuration.. all other bikes now use the "traditional" Japanese style single turn signal control, but it's electronic, not mechanical, so if you turn the bike off while the turn signal is flashing, when you turn the bike back on, it resets to off.

I like the Harley turn signal buttons the best.. press right to go right and left to go left and again to cancel. Press both at the same time for 4 way flasher.

Ya, we've gone 12 rounds on this topic before, and some inmates wanted to know if they can rewire their bikes to eliminate the cancel button.

if it's any consolation, the bmw turn signals are self cancelling after 200 meters, regardless of speed or time.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
+1

A typically over engineered solution to a non-existant problem. Three switches in place of one. Brilliant.
To be fair... 3 switches in the place of 2. The indicators also handle hazards.

Found it a real pain in the arse when getting used to it, especially since I also have a jap bike and switch between them. It's a bit easier now, but if I spend too much time on one, I struggle again. The BMW layout does sorta make sense when riding and it's easier to stab at with your finger...

End of the day, I guess you get used to anything...
aGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,329
At first I disliked the BMW turn signals, but after a while I've gotten used to them, and they are fine.

I'll tell you what though, the first time I went from the Japanese style to the BMW style I was like: Okay, I can get used to this. Then I the first time I drove a japanese bike after riding the beemer for a few months I was like "wtf, I've totally forgot how this works. So the BMW method is pretty intuitive aside from the cancel switch, but it's auto-cancel anyways so fuggit.

The one thing that kind of pisses me off is the location of the horn button. I don't even bother fumble to use it now unless I'm signaling someone, I just try to out drive the danger. I guess BMW made me a friendlier driver, lol.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
I used to worry about wearing out those slider style switches, and the BMW stab switching system seems to feel more durable.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote