User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,250
Touring/Motorcycling on the Cheap threads

A while back I read a thread about a young man who took an older motorcycle and did a low cost tour. And, seems like there was another thread about motorcycling on the cheap. There was some debate on that one about how cheap is too cheap vs. safety etc. I've searched and searched. Can't find those threads. Does anyone remember them and can post a link here? Or any others that you think might be along the same lines? Thanks
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,703
Can't find them but read many threads where 20-25 bucks a day were planned.

Jamie Z in inmates has a current thread where he's travelling by car at 45ish a day.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,634
I think this guy is spending around $15 per day and it's a current thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050889

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Thanks - the thread I'm thinking about was posted at least a year or two ago. It was a young guy in his twenty's and his bike was some kind of older japanese bike from the 80's I think.

I don't remember if it was just a thread about the topic of cheap motorcycling or a ride report about crossing America etc. on the cheap.

Trying to find this post or posts to share with some young folks.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,916
There was someone did a "cheap" tour, venturing into Mexico and/or Central America on an old CX500/650 a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, he had a lot of free help getting it into roadworthy condition and spent days and weeks stranded in various places while awaiting parts or trying to make repairs.

Unless you are very well-heeled, I guess you are forced into cheap mode if you plan to take a trip of more than a few weeks. At that point, you had better be prepared to use up some of that extra time dealing with "adventures" that could have been avoided if you planned a bigger initial/daily budget to begin with.

Remember that you could have abandoned three or four brand new KLRs for the same cost as buying, preparing and doggedly nursing an airhead GS through a RTW trip.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
Wraith Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
There was someone did a "cheap" tour, venturing into Mexico and/or Central America on an old CX500/650 a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, he had a lot of free help getting it into roadworthy condition and spent days and weeks stranded in various places while awaiting parts or trying to make repairs.
Doesn't sound cheap at all, not even on direct money.
Wraith Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Akronorka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Wicked

I suggest a bicycle, or roller skates.
Akronorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
I believe that this is the thread of which you speak: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366117

As for me, I find that a 33 year old motorcycle ( cost me $1200 once all the maintenance was caught up on), a waterproof duffle, and the ability to crash at friend's houses makes for a fine way to see the country. This year I'm going upscale and adding a tent to my touring gear.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
To me "cheap" means bringing along camping gear. If room exists, bringing food. Finding old friends if they're on the way is great too.

Also, $ per day in fuel is a little misleading. If you have 20 days, you can keep the $ per day lower. If you only have 10 days for the same trip, you're gonna burn more fuel per day.

I'm old now - 49. But with kids in college, getting on a super sport with nothing but a credit card isn't an available option to tour. Cheap viable bikes abound. This year, the 919 ($2,500) to death valley. Three previous years, both coasts on a C10 ($3,500).

Luxury for me is one sit down meal of local flavor a day. Hotel every two or three nights. Your "cheap" is relative to your situation and desire to tour and how far.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I believe that this is the thread of which you speak: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366117

As for me, I find that a 33 year old motorcycle ( cost me $1200 once all the maintenance was caught up on), a waterproof duffle, and the ability to crash at friend's houses makes for a fine way to see the country. This year I'm going upscale and adding a tent to my touring gear.
That's one of the threads I was talking about! Awesome. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
It's easy:

Keep refilling your water bottles
Eat PB&J or the dollar menu
Camp, some city and county parks have free or very cheap camping
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
This year, the 919 ($2,500) to death valley.
I am saving up to ride my 919 coast to coast. already done Fl to NM a couple of times. Excellent bike for touring.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:32 AM   #13
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
I have yet to average under 45-65$ a day but I personally know a few people that do it on much less. An old friend of mine has a dad that was able to retire early but not wealthy. He just decided it was better to retire early than to put it off in the hopes of an easier, more wealthy retirement. In any event, he bought a new "Wing upon retiring and proceeded to put over 300K miles on it in the next few years. Living "cheaply: on the rode became a challenge to him, almost as it was a race to see how little he could spend. He did very well, very well indeed, so well I hesitate to elaborate on how well he did because, well,,,, this is the internet and in no time I would have naysayers spewing all manner of negative vibrations for no good reason.

Another couple sold everything save for one rental which was run by a agent. They "figured" that if they kept expenses to under 28$ a day, they could ride indefinitely. That "28$ a day" BTW, was fuel, food, lodging, maintenance and any "incidentals" for two people. Two bikes too! Well, after a year on the road they blew their budget by a damned good bit. If memory serves, they averaged something like 32$ a day!!!!

Once they figured out they were running in the red, they took the rest of the money they had saved up and bought another rental near Mexico city and let family run it. With the extra income they would be in the black easily as long as there were no biggies like needing a new bike or the like.

The only thing I thought odd was their choice of bike. They bought brand new GS800 and a GS700s. Their point was that owning BMW bikes has many perks from the BMW owners club thingie to dealer support in many countries and I see their point but man, at the speeds they averaged {rarely went over 65mph} and some of the terrain they rode, I swear a couple of nice used DR650s would been a better choice. But, there is no denying they did it for a couple of years and I'm sitting here typing away and dreaming my ass off!

Here is the link to their ride-
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Brian
Blue Skies Coming

Jud screwed with this post 04-27-2015 at 12:38 AM
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #14
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Some of Jimmy Z's thread should be in here.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #15
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

Remember that you could have abandoned three or four brand new KLRs for the same cost as buying, preparing and doggedly nursing an airhead GS through a RTW trip.

Best.advice.ever!