ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you have sold the bike?
Hell yes! 51 41.46%
Hell no! 60 48.78%
Why are you even selling a bike, dummy? 12 9.76%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
daveinva OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Would *you* have sold the bike?

Wrote this up on another site, but interested in the inmate take...

Had myself a little moral dilemma this morning.

I just bought myself a new motorcycle a few weeks ago, a Honda CB500F-- that I'm loving, BTW!-- which necessitates me selling my little Ninja 250 (GF won't let me keep *three* bikes in the driveway, I don't blame her, we we're getting to be "that house" I totally need a garage...).

Put the Ninja up on Craigslist at a competitive price, or so I thought-- I've only gotten a single hit in the last two weeks, which bums me out, especially since it's less $$$ than other 250s on CL *and* it needs no work at all-- recent tires, fresh oil, clean carbs, etc. I swear, 95% of the bikes for sale on CL are garage queens that were never ridden and need $1000 worth of work to bring back to life... anyway, neither here nor there.

So, I met the one kid interested in my bike this morning (we'll call him Joe). Waited waaay too long for him to show up at the shopping mall lot, but whatever, it was a beautiful morning. When Joe (maybe 22 years old at most) shows up in a car, he hops out in his shirt, shorts and sneakers. No gear, not even a helmet. Okay, whatever, we're just in a parking lot.

I show Joe the bike, point out the scratches, praise it as a great beginner bike. He shows me his license, fresh with a learner's permit stamp. He asks me to ride the bike around the lot a bit, which I do, then when I'm done he pulls out his money to make the deal.

That's when Joe says, "Do you have any pointers for riding?" I'm like, ummm, what kind of pointers do you need?

"Like, how do you shift? I drive a manual car, is it like that?"

I stop, look at Joe, and ask, "Joe, have you ever even *ridden* a motorcycle before?"

Nope. Turns out he took the *written* test at the DMV and got the permit, but has never been on a bike before. I asked him about taking an MSF class. "Nah, they charge like $350 for that class, I'd rather save my money."

I tell Joe that the class is the best money he'd ever spend, totally worth it. He nods his head and repeats the request for me to help him learn how to ride it.

You know, in, like, fifteen minutes in a TGI Friday's parking lot.

That's when I couldn't resist my guilt complex any longer. I tell him, "Joe, I'm really sorry to have to say this, but I can't in good conscience sell you this bike today. Here's what I *can* do-- if you go and take the MSF class, and you come back and I still have the bike for sale, I'll knock $200 off the price, the bike will be yours. But you gotta take the class, or at least find someone who can lend you their bike for a couple days in a parking lot."

Now, it was hard to turn down the money-- he was going to give me my asking price, too, no negotiations!! -- but in a way, it wasn't. Yeah, I know, millions of men and women learned how to ride motorcycles without ever taking a class, it happens every day, but I just couldn't bring myself to sell the Ninja to this eager, enthusiastic, and completely unprepared young man. Odds are he'd be perfectly fine getting home, he lived not too far from there, but if he didn't make it home... I'd never forgive myself. I thought about riding to his house and dropping the bike off there, but I long ago made the "no houses" rule of buying & selling on CL, wasn't about to break that one, either.

Anyway... what would YOU have done?
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
PoolPah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
if it was a high powered motorcycle, then I might thinks twice, but a Ninja 250?
That is the perfect bike for him!

I may have taken it his house and told him to buy a helmet.
PoolPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Butters
Kwyjibo

Oddometer: 2,729
Sounds like money well spent for sleeping well at night. It only matters what you think was right. If the guy doesn't take you up on your generous offer, he clearly is a dumbass that will hurt himself quickly.

(On the other hand, Darwin probably has him in his sights whether or not he buys a motorcycle. Misfortune and stupidity always meet - usually in short order).
Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
So how attached are you to the girlfriend?
Old 05-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Asking the real questions.

But to answer, Ninja 250, I probably would have sold it if he bought a helmet. He'd already be a step ahead of most of the guys on cruisers I see around here.

The class was the best investment I made though (only the gas to get there and back, in KY it's free if you're under 18!) and it waved the riding exam.

On one hand, he's getting a bike without any riding experience. On the other hand, you're giving him a bike he will be able to learn on relatively safely. He might go buy something else that's faster and in worse shape instead.

As for the getting it home part, most people I know have a friend ride their first bike back if they can't trailer it.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
daveinva OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Heh... She said she's okay with three bikes if one of them is hers.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
windblown101
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
You gotta do whatever it takes to sleep at night. If they are over 18 they are free to make their own decisions. The only one that gave me a few qualms was selling an R6 to a young military guy with no riding experience. I gave my speech about gear, training, etc, and then deposited his check into my bank account.

Having watched many a new rider I've come to the conclusion that for the most part it's not the bike it's the riders mindset that determines how they will fair out on the road.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
BorisRoberts
Banned

Oddometer: 320
Fuckin A right I would have sold it to him. If he wanted the GSXR 1000 Retired Superbike I had, I would have sold that to him. too. "Watch out when it comes past 6000 rpm in third gear passing 100mph. It will wheelie and light the Pirelli slick up at the same time."

The way I see it, he is an adult. If he was 18, he could buy anything I want to sell him. "You" are not his keeper. "You" are not his mother. "You" are not a legislature, passing laws that concern other people. "You" are not his protector. If that was me, I'd be kind of pissed that you refused to sell me a bike, with the excuse of "protecting" me.

Plus, it's a Ninja 250. It's got less power than my weed eater. It's geared taller, though. And, it apparently is the most recommeded bike for a beginner, next to a step through 50, in history.
BorisRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post

On the other hand, you're giving him a bike he will be able to learn on relatively safely.
How is he going to learn without someone showing him the correct technique(s)? There's a lot more to riding a bike than knowing how to twist the throttle, knowing how to shift and knowing where the brakes are.
I had a student last week who had ridden dirt bikes for 20 years but had no idea what counter steering is. He thought you just lean to turn...

Also, you "can" pay up to $350 for a BRC thru a private company but you can also pay as low as $140 at a Community College.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
How is he going to learn without someone showing him the correct technique(s)? There's a lot more to riding a bike than knowing how to twist the throttle, knowing how to shift and knowing where the brakes are.
I had a student last week who had ridden dirt bikes for 20 years but had no idea what counter steering is. He thought you just lean to turn...

Also, you "can" pay up to $350 for a BRC thru a private company but you can also pay as low as $140 at a Community College.
It's 30 bucks here. I have no idea why it's so expensive in some other areas.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
BadKarma
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Caveat Emptor..
BadKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:20 AM   #12
Super38ACP
Well above average

Oddometer: 294
While I do see your point, I'd have sold it to him. You really haven't saved him, someone else will sell him one.

It is possible you could have done far more to save him from himself with a 30 minutes of instruction/lecture.

And I would have probably ridden it to his house for him.

Hopefully he takes you up on your offer.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:32 AM   #13
daveinva OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisRoberts View Post
The way I see it, he is an adult. If he was 18, he could buy anything I want to sell him. "You" are not his keeper. "You" are not his mother. "You" are not a legislature, passing laws that concern other people. "You" are not his protector. If that was me, I'd be kind of pissed that you refused to sell me a bike, with the excuse of "protecting" me.
All valid-- I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer here. My decision was pretty spur-of-the-moment, this wasn't some considered position. I just got the wrong vibe and went with my gut. On another day, money might have changed hands.

That said, while I'm not his mother, I'm not Wal-Mart, either-- I have no obligation to sell my private property to anyone just because they're an adult with money. I *was* very apologetic to the guy, I genuinely felt bad, but at the end of the day, it's only money.

Of course, him showing up 45 minutes late in the first place ameliorated some of my guilt...
Old 05-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #14
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Of course, him showing up 45 minutes late in the first place ameliorated some of my guilt...

He would've been on time if he had a bike.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #15
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,914
Lots of us learned to ride with no schooling. The lack of helmet might have been concerning. I think taking it to his house would have been the best thing to do. Tell him to go to cycle gear and buy some cheap riding gear, helmet, jacket, pants, boots.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote