User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Zumo 660 - how sensitive is the screen to touch?

Hi, all,

I just got a Zumo 660 and am playing with it - for the first time, in front of my computer. Ahem... too late to go for a ride, no?

Question: I find that the touchscreen display is surprisingly insensitive to finger pressure. I have to press it rather hard and hold my finger for a brief moment, in order to have the "click" register.

This is in stark contrast to other Garmin devices I have: a few Nuvis, a StreetPilot 2820 and 2730, which are very easy to touch.

For those of you who have had experience with older units and can compare: is the low sensitivity of my 660 normal? Did you also find that you have to press so much harder? Or, do I simply have a bum unit?

TIA, Robert.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I have a Zumo 220 that requires a very light touch compared to my Zumo 450. I like that and it’s the only thing about the 220 which I do like.

I think the screen on a 660 should work very easily.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
I dont notice much of a difference compared to the 550. I always compared to my iPhone and iPad which really are sensitive, the Zumo feels like you need to push into the screen for it to work in comparison.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
100% normal, that is actually a feature of motorcycle gps, think about big coarse heated gloves and you will understand why. I think it is still too sensitive, I barely can point a place, it always ends up dragging the map a few 8th of inch instead.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
100% normal, that is actually a feature of motorcycle gps, think about big coarse heated gloves and you will understand why. ...
Yes, I am not a novice with motorcyle GPS units and I understand that they need less sensitivity.
Over the years, I've gone through the whole StreetPilot 26, 27 and 28 series and I currently have the 2820 and 2610 on my bikes. I also used a 550 on a rental, but unfortunately cannot recall its performance (though it must have not been unusual to me, as it did not raise any flags)..

That is my point of reference, then: does anyone know if the 660 is much less sensitive than the StreetPilots?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
That is my point of reference, then: does anyone know if the 660 is much less sensitive than the StreetPilots?
I don’t have any issues using my 220 with gloves on, well; I wouldn’t scroll the screen with gloves on. But I would not do that with my 450 either.
I think you need to pose your question in the GPS forum here, Laying down Tracks.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forum...aysprune=&f=37
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,061
I have a 665 that I use with no issues. I put a smartphone screen protector on it and have found that it works best with gloved fingers. Without gloves, I need to lightly touch the screen using my fingernail.

No issuse with a fully-gloved dust wipe while riding that I was initially scared of.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, guys. Time to put my gloves on and try the screen that way.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Screen protectors can make the screen much less responsive to touch.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
660 is less sensitive than 550. takes a firm press for me. works fine though.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
660 is less sensitive than 550. takes a firm press for me. works fine though.
Thanks again. Right now the 660 is riding in my truck, testing against the 2820. Hopefully on the bike by the weekend.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
Yep, my Zumo 550 needs a little more push than my old Street Pilot 2610.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
BJ_CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have two 665s. The sensitivity is slightly different in each but both work with gloves. It's just that one takes a little more concentrated effort.
BJ_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Right now the 660 is riding in my truck, testing against the 2820. Hopefully on the bike by the weekend.
I’d be very interested in seeing how you like the 660. The 220 I recently bought is very disappointing, it’s primarily routing that I am disappointed in. And while it does more then my 450, it doesn’t do anything as well, except the touch screen works easer. I do like that.
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Zumo 660 vs. StreetPilot 2820 comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I’d be very interested in seeing how you like the 660. The 220 I recently bought is very disappointing, it’s primarily routing that I am disappointed in. ...
Well, I am on the fence for the time being. It's a great new shiny gadget, so how could I not love it? But, read on.

I cannot compare the 660 with earlier Zumos. My main experience is with the whole family of StreetPilots. We actually own a Nuvi as well - with similar user interface to the Zumo - but it is my wife's receiver and I do not play with it much (she loves it). Still, you may find this useful.

I spent last few days with both my SP2820 and the Zumo 660 mounted next to each other on the dashboard of my SUV. It's a duel of British-language Emilies!

Which brings up a weird observation to start. Both units are set for British pronunciation, but American text. However, the Zumo Emily uses British expressions, like "take the slip road" - while the StreetPilot Emily tells me to "take the ramp". Interesting.

First user experience, once I got over the "new & shiny" excitement, was lukewarm. Necessitated by lack of buttons, the Zumo interface requires more involved navigation between menus. The only real shortcut I found is the long press of the "Back" button, which takes you to the main screen. That is wrong; it should go back to Map since the user is more likely to have jumped out of Map screen when drilling down some adjustment menus.

Also, some features seems to be missing. There is no "GPS Info" showing acquired satellites and exact time - contrary to description in Help. Map detail has less selection granularity: it offers only high-normal-low choices. High detail is too high; too many POI's clutter the map.

The big performance test took place today.
I was dropping my nephew off, for a flight out of JFK. The awful traffic mess this morning on George Washington Bridge and Cross-Bronx on one side, and on Staten Island Expressway on the other, resulted in me taking the "scenic route" through city streets of Jersey City, Manhattan and Brooklyn. 2-1/2 hours one way, 2 hours return. Luckily, I left very early to allow myself plenty of extra time in the morning, but it was getting uncomfortably close.

Anyway, I digress - the point is that both receivers got a great workout today and I could compare their operation side by side, for a long time and in various environments.

Zumo seems to have a better receiver - it subjectively had less instants of lost reception than the SP2820 and it recaptured signal slightly quicker coming out of tunnels.

The big negative was in routing. Both units were set for Shortest Time routing (my standard mode of navigating; when riding just for fun, I use only the map screen). Over a combination of highways and busy streets here in the NYC metro area, several times, the Zumo calculated a route leading through city streets. My knowledge of the area suggested traveling on highways as much as possible - and that was also the selection made by the StreetPilot. Zumo's city route had an ETA about a minute sooner than the StreetPilot's highway route - out of about an hour remaining on the route. Apparently, Zumo's algorithm is too optimistic about the time spent in city traffic - as if assigning too short a time to traffic-light effects or using too high expected average speed.

On my way back from the airport, no longer in a hurry, I actually let Zumo's Emily lead me into streets of Elizabeth and Union, NJ - instead of StreetPilot's Emily's (and mine) choice of the New Jersey Turnpike - just to see what happens. The result was a tremendous loss of time, about 50% of ETA, mostly due to stop lights since the traffic was light by then.

I do understand that no routing algorithm is perfect and can be often trumped by local knowledge. What I found disappointing was that several times the StreetPilot made the "correct" selection, while the Zumo not. Both units are using similar vintage (2011) of City Navigator maps.

That, of course, only matters if you use the receiver to navigate to a destination - and if you know the area enough to get a sense that you are being waylaid. If you only use it to roam about, just to look at the map to find where you are, it is likely that this quirk would not bother you.

Not a glowing endorsement, huh?

rdwalker screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 08:50 PM