ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Camping in Wyoming?

Plan to head out to Wyoming for about a week or so after the Sedalia BMW MOA rally.

Can anybody offer camping/campground suggestions outside of Sheridan, Yellowstone, and the Tetons?

Where to go, what to stay away from etc.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Tethys_Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,174
Do you mean Sheridan or can you head into the BHNF? Around Dayton, is Tongue canyon road, which has amazing scenery and camping. As for Yellowstone, just do it during the week and try and do the whole loop in a day and start at the but crack of dawn. Tetons will the same, but you could try the climbers ranch.
Good luck
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Keepiru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys_Sea View Post
Plan to head out to Wyoming for about a week or so after the Sedalia BMW MOA rally.

Can anybody offer camping/campground suggestions outside of Sheridan, Yellowstone, and the Tetons?

Where to go, what to stay away from etc.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Last time I was travelling in Wyoming, I found some great dispersed camping just east of Ten Sleeps, which has a decent restaurant/bar in it as well. Head east on 16, and look for the turnoff that is old hwy 16. There are a couple of campgrounds there, but if you stay on the road past the campgrounds it'll turn in to a dirt road. From there in just find a spot and set up your camp. It's part of Bighorn National forest, so you can do dispersed camping for several days. I was also able to fill up on water at the campgrounds without actually staying in them.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Scout_WY
Pirate

Oddometer: 118
Camping

If your going to camp around Yellowstone. Be cautious of the humpback bears! The park has a strict 45 MPH speed limit, hard to make time. There is good camping in the Wind River Range. Atlantic City to Dubois. Also in the Greys River valley. But all have griz in them. Check with the Forest service for precautions.
As stated before good camping and fishing in the Bighorns. Good Camping and fishing in the Snowy's and Laramie mountains have good camping and some fishing. Black Hills has good camping but not during Sturgis rally week (does have interesting wildlife though).
You might be finding a common theme. In the summer it's hot in the high plains. All the mountains even the small ones are cooler and better camping. Some are on fire right now. It is extremely dry and fire danger is HIGH.
Thermopolis has a nice campground (Fountain of youth), good fishing, mineral hot springs.

Pick up a topographic recreation map from grtmapping.com

Good Luck, PM me if you have any questions
Scout

NRA life
Scout_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
If you are willing to get off of the pavement and if you like primitive camping I recommend Shadow Mountain. It is just east of the Tetons and outside of Grand Teton NP. You get a great view and don't have to pay NP campground prices. I would still go through the parks, but this was a great place to camp without the crowd.

View Larger Map
Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
Do you mean Sheridan or can you head into the BHNF? Around Dayton, is Tongue canyon road, which has amazing scenery and camping. As for Yellowstone, just do it during the week and try and do the whole loop in a day and start at the but crack of dawn. Tetons will the same, but you could try the climbers ranch.
Good luck
Well, I was planning on spending a couple days in Sheridan, but would like to camp instead of moteling it.
Tongue Canyon Road is the place, eh? Are motorcycles allowed at this climbers ranch you speak of??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepiru View Post
Last time I was travelling in Wyoming, I found some great dispersed camping just east of Ten Sleeps, which has a decent restaurant/bar in it as well. Head east on 16, and look for the turnoff that is old hwy 16. There are a couple of campgrounds there, but if you stay on the road past the campgrounds it'll turn in to a dirt road. From there in just find a spot and set up your camp. It's part of Bighorn National forest, so you can do dispersed camping for several days. I was also able to fill up on water at the campgrounds without actually staying in them.
Thanks Keepiru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_WY View Post
If your going to camp around Yellowstone. Be cautious of the humpback bears! The park has a strict 45 MPH speed limit, hard to make time. There is good camping in the Wind River Range. Atlantic City to Dubois. Also in the Greys River valley. But all have griz in them. Check with the Forest service for precautions.
As stated before good camping and fishing in the Bighorns. Good Camping and fishing in the Snowy's and Laramie mountains have good camping and some fishing. Black Hills has good camping but not during Sturgis rally week (does have interesting wildlife though).
You might be finding a common theme. In the summer it's hot in the high plains. All the mountains even the small ones are cooler and better camping. Some are on fire right now. It is extremely dry and fire danger is HIGH.
Thermopolis has a nice campground (Fountain of youth), good fishing, mineral hot springs.

Pick up a topographic recreation map from grtmapping.com

Good Luck, PM me if you have any questions
Scout
Thanks Scout, I might just PM you when the time gets closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical View Post
If you are willing to get off of the pavement and if you like primitive camping I recommend Shadow Mountain. It is just east of the Tetons and outside of Grand Teton NP. You get a great view and don't have to pay NP campground prices. I would still go through the parks, but this was a great place to camp without the crowd
Thanks Coloradical...the attached map and advice is very helpfu!!

Chris
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,174
The climbers camp is just a lot of bunk houses, so lots of transportation modes are there.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,141
Camping in Sheridan

What sort of camping in Sheridan do you desire?

There's a nice KOA on the north end of town that's walking distance from a McDs and a restaurant/gas station that sells beer & wine, but everything else is a ride.

More interesting camping is out of town. Great spots up in the Big Horns (either dirt or pave access, your choice) but, unless you stay near one of the lodges around Burgess Junction (US 14 & 14A), you won't be near anything civilized.

As mentioned, you can find a spot to pitch a tent up Tongue River Canyon, which will put you near Dayton, or there is an old campground in Dayton within easy walking distance of amenities.

There are some trailhead points out of Big Horn and Story where you can camp, but again, you'll be away from stuff.

Motels around here are on the pricey end because it is tourist season; actually, that's true for most of Wyoming in the summer.

One of the nice things about this part of the world is that many of the highways go through national forest land where you can camp about anywhere. I stumbled upon a nice campsite on Sunday about 1/4 mile off US14 up in the Big Horns on Black Mountain Road; the only drawback was that there was no water.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical View Post
If you are willing to get off of the pavement and if you like primitive camping I recommend Shadow Mountain. It is just east of the Tetons and outside of Grand Teton NP. You get a great view and don't have to pay NP campground prices. I would still go through the parks, but this was a great place to camp without the crowd
I guess I should ask...when you say get off the pavement...what type of offroading are we talking? Solid pack/gravel or deep sand and/or deep mud ruts. I don't have knobby tires etc. Just wondering.

Thx
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
What sort of camping in Sheridan do you desire?

There's a nice KOA on the north end of town that's walking distance from a McDs and a restaurant/gas station that sells beer & wine, but everything else is a ride.

More interesting camping is out of town. Great spots up in the Big Horns (either dirt or pave access, your choice) but, unless you stay near one of the lodges around Burgess Junction (US 14 & 14A), you won't be near anything civilized.

As mentioned, you can find a spot to pitch a tent up Tongue River Canyon, which will put you near Dayton, or there is an old campground in Dayton within easy walking distance of amenities.

There are some trailhead points out of Big Horn and Story where you can camp, but again, you'll be away from stuff.

Motels around here are on the pricey end because it is tourist season; actually, that's true for most of Wyoming in the summer.

One of the nice things about this part of the world is that many of the highways go through national forest land where you can camp about anywhere. I stumbled upon a nice campsite on Sunday about 1/4 mile off US14 up in the Big Horns on Black Mountain Road; the only drawback was that there was no water.
At this point in the planning, I'm leaning towards not cooking because of the bear potential. So that would mean camping in locations that are not super far away from civilization as to be able to get some dinner etc.

What about campfires? Are these allowed this season out there? Or has this been more of a problem in the Southeast corner of the state etc.

Also, referring the iphone Campwhere app...it seems that the overall vast majority of campgrounds do not have shower facilities, no deal breaker, but a shower every 3rd/4th day would be nice.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys_Sea View Post
I guess I should ask...when you say get off the pavement...what type of offroading are we talking? Solid pack/gravel or deep sand and/or deep mud ruts. I don't have knobby tires etc. Just wondering.

Thx
Maybe a local can give current conditions. I was in a Montero when I camped there, but I remember it being a decent dirt road that we were having fun on.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 506
Camping in Grand tetons and Yellowstone

You may consider camping in the parks - we just had 2 weeks camping in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

Signal mountain at GT is an awesome campsire right on the lake - one of the nicest I have ever been to.

There are loads of good sites in Yellowstone - if you get there before 11 esecially on a week day, you will easily find a site - you could try Norris, Madison or Indian creek.

Both parks are very hot on bear activity - all food and cooking items must be stowed, most places have bear lockers but some do not.

Campsite fees were $20 for a place with flush toilets, $14.50 for a place with vault toilets, both parks allow you to collect firewood.
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Scout_WY
Pirate

more info is required

So which way are you coming into God's country?
Which way do you plan to exit?
How long are you staying?
Is Jellystone a must?
With that info I can help a bit more.

NRA life
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Tethys_Sea OP
Adventurer

Quote:
So which way are you coming into God's country?
Plan on visiting a friend outside of Denver on Sunday, July 22nd then thinking of taking 80 to SLC to visit some friends Monday night. So Tuesday I would plan to enter from Utah.
Quote:
Which way do you plan to exit?
Sheridan, and off towards Sturgis and home (Ohio)

Quote:
How long are you staying?
7-9 days, I would like to get through Sturgis before the start of the major bike week etc.
Quote:
Is Jellystone a must?
Am thinking no, at this point. Tetons/Wind River Range/Bighorns would take care of my desires. I hear nothing but bad regarding the traffic congestion and idiots that descend upon the place during the summer months. Yellowstone will be there next year or the following.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Scout_WY
Pirate

suggestions

Here are some places/routes I would reccomend

Greys river to either Alpine Junction or Pinedale. Camping at the lakes (palisades or Fremont.

If you go to Alpine Junction, on to Jackson then to Dubois.
If you go to Pinedale I would go to green river lakes to union pass to Dubois.
Granite hot springs on the Hoback river/road between Hoback junction and Pine Dale

there are camp grounds in Dubois. Or you could camp around the line shack or saw mill on union pass.

Dubois to Lander, Riverton, Shoshoni Thermopolis, Camping at the "Fountain of Youth" or Boysen Res. (this would be hot during the day)

Thermop to either Hwy 14 or 16 over the bighorns. Camping around Burgess junction on hwy 14 or Deer Haven on hwy 16.
Hell if you got time do both! Good passes, camping, food, drinks etc.

On to the black hills. Camping at keyhole res. off I-90 or bear Mtn. outside of Sundance.

Well that's my .02. I might even be at place in the black hills the week end of the 28th. PM me with any questions.

Scout

NRA life