User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 760
Question BMW Santiago Boots...

I'm looking for some feedback... I currently have the All Round boots and interested in what people have to say about the comparison other than the specs. Are they too hot for summer? Too stiff to walk around in/wear all day?

Thnx!
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
I'm looking for some feedback... I currently have the All Round boots and interested in what people have to say about the comparison other than the specs. Are they too hot for summer? Too stiff to walk around in/wear all day?

Thnx!
I got a pair and I saw the 3 & 5yr old pairs the staff at my local BMW dealer showed me to give me an idea of how they break in. They aren't too stiff to walk around in once the leather breaks in. As for summer use they have no vents so they'll be warm for sure I guess it depends on how hot the day is. They don't seem any warmer than other boots I wear riding, but I don't own any hot weather specific MC footwear.

I bought them because:

- they fit my feet well
- they are waterproof with goretex
- they look like classic MC boots not NASA space equipment
- they are easy enough to walk around in for touring
- they provide enough protection for touring and easy dirt

I plan on getting a more burly pair of NASA-esque boots for harder dirt specific trips where looks and walkability aren't as high a priority as safety.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,297
I have >70k miles on my Santiagos. I luv them. They are very comfortable to walk in and give as good protection as you can get in less than a pure MX boot.

In the summer it gets pretty hot down here in southern AZ and to be frank, my feet sweating in the Santiagos has never been a real concern.

If I ever wear them out (not likely) I will buy another pair.

-jeff

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
- Thomas Jefferson
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
On my 2nd pair

I had an accident in my first pair of Santiagos and ripped the cover off the toe piece and ended up buying another pair shortly thereafeter. Love the boots, as comfortable as any pair of hiking boots for walking around. Never had any problems with them in the heat (110+), the cold (20 or so) and solid rain (8+ hours).

I have a pair of BMW AllRounds as well (wear them to the office when I ride to work). The Santiagos fit diffrently, much wider toe box and I find them more comfortable than the AllRounds.

I did take the little metal toe piece off to make them look a little less "motocross"
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
The TCX Infinity boot (used to be branded Oxtar) is an almost identical boot the the Santiago (same manufacturer) and can probably be found at around $100 cheaper than the Santiago.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

Very helpful feedback guys, thank you! I was hoping someone would chime in that has or had All Rounds for comparison.

My friend has the Infinity boots and they're about $329 (yes they are the same for the most part as the Santiagos)

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tcx-infinity-gtx-boots

I think I can get the Santiago's for around that price.

Looking forward to a wider toe box. I wear the All Rounds all year and they're ok in the summer unless it's super hot. I will be looking for vented boots next year.

No issues so far with the buckles on the Santiagos? I had a pair of Sidi Canyons and had no issues with their buckle/clasp mechanism.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
The TCX Infinity boot (used to be branded Oxtar) is an almost identical boot the the Santiago (same manufacturer) and can probably be found at around $100 cheaper than the Santiago.
I checked locally and the cost for Santiagos vs. Infinity boots was identical. Might do better online, but I'd feel like a douche bag trying on boots at a shop and then ordering online to save a few bucks... BMW dealer was closer and very helpful so I gave them my $$$.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Can anyone compare the All Arounds to the Santiagos as far as width? I have a narrow foot and can't seem to get a good fit with the All arounds. Also, are the Santiagos stiffer and have less feel for the shifter and are they warmer in hot weather than the All Arounds?

Thanks,
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Can anyone compare the All Arounds to the Santiagos as far as width? I have a narrow foot and can't seem to get a good fit with the All arounds. Also, are the Santiagos stiffer and have less feel for the shifter and are they warmer in hot weather than the All Arounds?

Thanks,
I have both in size 43. The AllRounds feel like they are almost 1/2 size smaller than the Santiagos. They feel a little shorter in length and in height of the toe box. If you have narrow feet, the AllRounds should fit better, if not, have you tried different inserts?

I have found both boots to be completely waterproof but Santiagos feel a little warmer in the cold weather (that could be that I can wear thicker socks with them).

I tried the Infinity boots at the local dealer (in the same size 43) and I felt that there wasn't as much room in the instep as the Santiago's.

I bought my Santiagos from a BMW dealer in Colorado (Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles, eBay name bmwducati) look them up, they always have a ton of BMW gear on eBay (I obviously am not affiliated with them).
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMoto View Post
I have both in size 43. The AllRounds feel like they are almost 1/2 size smaller than the Santiagos. They feel a little shorter in length and in height of the toe box. If you have narrow feet, the AllRounds should fit better, if not, have you tried different inserts?

I have found both boots to be completely waterproof but Santiagos feel a little warmer in the cold weather (that could be that I can wear thicker socks with them).

I tried the Infinity boots at the local dealer (in the same size 43) and I felt that there wasn't as much room in the instep as the Santiago's.

I bought my Santiagos from a BMW dealer in Colorado (Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles, eBay name bmwducati) look them up, they always have a ton of BMW gear on eBay (I obviously am not affiliated with them).
Thanks, ya I should try the All Around boots with an extra insert...just wondering if I should get the Santiagos instead. My dealer has both in stock and said he'd make me a really good deal on the Santiagos if I want them as I guess they don't sell that well. I ride a lot in the desert (road) in the summer and just want to be sure I'm not getting a boot that will be too hot.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Love the Santiagos

Got mine a while back and love them. Great boots. I was wary of the buckle system, but they seem to be holding up fine. Really comfortable and great sole support when standing on the pegs. Been wet plenty of times and are actually waterproof! Good choice.
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
I can't add much more than others have said, but I've had a pair of these for a few years now and am very happy with them. They've saved a ankles on a couple of drops and yet are comfortable enough to do some fairly serious walking in them.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,196
I've had my Santiagos for a few years and find them quite comfortable in all temps from hot to cold and wet. I've never had any iussues with water penetration except once when I was wading around in a lake fishing. I now wear them solely for street riding as I found the smooth sole to not offer much traction for dual sporting (I'm not agressive enough to need to slide my foot in turns). I have a pair of Sidi Adventure GoreTex for use on the GS now. The Santiagos are great for the street as they look pretty normal (I did lose the metal toe caps) they are quite flexible now that they are well broken in and are easy to walk in. The level of protection is not quite as good as the Sidi's for off road stuff which is another reason for getting those boots. The Santioagos are a great boot for 80/20 on/off road riding, kind of like a Tourance for your feet.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

Thanks everyone, for all the useful first-hand feedback. I finally got to try on a pair of Santiagos today and was pretty impressed with them.

I love my allrounds and may keep them for short trips or put them in the flea market... But, it looks like I'm going to pick up a pair of Santiagos pretty soon.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give me the feedback, it absolutely helped me make the decision.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

Got 'em today!

Picked up the Santiagos today and took a 50 mile ride with them. Here are my observations:

1. Stiffer sole than the allrounds
2. More snug, easier to get a good, secure/tight fit because of the cam buckles.
3. Feels like there is more protection in the toe box, ankle and heel
4. Thicker leather than the allrounds
5. Similar warmth so far (it was 40 degrees)

Overall, I think they're a nice boot, appear to be high quality, well made. Solid construction. Only thing required was a shifter adjustment when I got home