User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
The Hilleberg Tent thread

Hello all, I've decided I'm going to buy a Hilleberg tent. I've got it narrowed down to only 4 or 6 models.

I'd love to see some pictures of your Hilleberg in use, and hear about which model you like the best and why. I'll be using my tent for motorcycle touring, general camping, and backpacking (I know they aren't light weight, but I'll put up with a few extra lbs for comfort). The models I'm most interested in right now are the Tarra and the Nammatj 3 GT.

For those of you who use their tunnel style tents, how big a drawback are they for setting up on hard ground? I know that a geodesic (sp) design will obviously be easier for gravel, sand, hard ground, etc. But have you found the tunnel tents to be at least doable in those situations? If so, how did you make it work? The tunnel tents are very appealing in their space to weight ratio. If I knew that I could set it up in most any environment, the decision would be much easier.

Thanks in advance!
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
stilldointime
Fast and Loose

Oddometer: 42
stilldointime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
We have a Keron 3. Absolutely great tent. Only downside is that you have to have stakes in the ground to pitch it. The tunnel concept gives a lot of space while not becoming too heavy.

If I ever need a new tent, I'd try the Tarra or the Saivo, but I see the Keron outlasting my willingness for camping ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Great picture Cug! I like the green color better than the red. As for needing to stake it in, I emailed Simon and Lisa Thomas yesterday with that question. I figured after traveling the world in a Hilleberg Keron 4 GT they, of all people, should know whether the staking issue is a big hassle or not. They were kind enough to write back, and told me that in 9 years of living out of a tunnel tent, they'd only had a handful of times where it became an issue.

I guess that with the proper resourcefulness, you can always find a way to secure it. There are the "deadman" anchors, rocks, motorcycle, etc. On the Backpackinglight forum I read a couple other good ways of securing tunnel tents. One guy fills dry bags with 3 or 4 gallons of water or sand, or river rocks if he's in an area without good anchors. A few other people made a good point that you should always stake out a tent, even the completely free-standing ones, because you never know when the weather will turn. So with that logic, freestanding tents lose a bit of their luster. I still haven't completely made up my mind yet on the tunnel vs. freestanding, but I am certainly less worried about the staking issue now that I've heard from people with a lot of experience with it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I agree. The main problem of the free standing tents is that they either sacrifice stability or gain weight. That's why a free standing Hilleberg is always heavier than a tunnel of the same inside usable space.

The Keron 3 is perfect for two people on a motorcycle trip. Big enough for two with gear, light weight enough to not be a packing hassle, rock solid, easy to pitch. I have yet to come to a situation where pitching was a problem. And I also have yet to encounter a situation where the tent wasn't up to it - be that hot nights, cold nights, stormy conditions or insane rain fall, the tent just copes with it.

When we go hiking we carry a light weight MSR Hubba Hubba, but we have to keep stuff outside as it is small (!!) and when it gets cold or windy, the tent is everything but protecting ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
earthroamerxvlt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Jedi5150

I have been using a Keron GT4 and have been super pleased with everything about it. For the relatively small weight and packing size penalty, I get lots of room for spreading out, all my gear, myself, and wifey if she happens to be along. I have gotten stuck camping in rocks and gravel and not really had any problems. I often use every stake and tie down point due to some serious wind issues where I camp. Just grab a bunch of titanium nail type pegs for those times when you have to camp on the hard stuff and you can drive them into anything short of solid rock or concrete. The Keron was like a near rigid Quonset hut in winds that damaged other nearby tents.

I have no connection with them other than being a customer, but once you decide on which Hilleberg you may want look in the Vendor section for Bivouac Ann Arbor, call Pam (Bmwgrrl), tell you are an ADV member and she will give you a very good price (usually better than they have listed in the vendor section) and excellent service on just about any outdoor products you might need. They carry tons of stuff not listed on their web site.
earthroamerxvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 295
Nammatj 2 GT

As the title states I am looking at the Nammatj 2 GT for my ADV tent. At 6ish pounds it is a bit weighty but I really really like the big vestibule. I hate not having enough room for my gear to be out of the weather as well as a place to change out of dirty gear before climbing into the living portion of the tent...

After having dome tents forever I think the tunnel tent with the bigger (and taller )opening is going to be nicer for ingress and egress.

I also like the concept of not having to put the rain fly on separately...

K
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
DFWBo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
love my staika

Not that you asked about this model, but it is watertight, convertible and bombproof. I only stake it when windy or rainy.
DFWBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWBo View Post
Not that you asked about this model, but it is watertight, convertible and bombproof. I only stake it when windy or rainy.
The Staika was definitely on my radar, and I've seen some great reviews of it on youtube. I've got to admit though, that the pure domes don't really appeal to me from a visual standpoint. I know that sounds very picky, and I'm sure the Staika is a dynamite tent. It's just that in the bomb-proof 2-man arena, the Tarra is much more asthetically pleasing to me.

But DFWBo and Earthroamer...where are the pictures??? This thread is worthless without pics.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
As the title states I am looking at the Nammatj 2 GT for my ADV tent. At 6ish pounds it is a bit weighty but I really really like the big vestibule. I hate not having enough room for my gear to be out of the weather as well as a place to change out of dirty gear before climbing into the living portion of the tent...

After having dome tents forever I think the tunnel tent with the bigger (and taller )opening is going to be nicer for ingress and egress.

I also like the concept of not having to put the rain fly on separately...

K
I'm thinking along the same lines Kirkster, but don't rule out the Nammatj 3GT. A lot of my tent use is going to be solo 4-season backpacking, with a dog. And even then, I'm considering the Nammatj 3GT instead of the 2. For less than a pound more weight, you greatly increase your space, interior height, etc. A 3-man tent for a solo person and dog would be a veritable palace when the weather turns nasty.

PS- I see you're going off the minimum weight. I'd be careful doing that. I always do my figuring with the packed weights, especially since I always use a footprint as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
DFWBo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
love my staika

DFWBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,335
I own both a Soulo and a Jannu.
I mostly use the Soulo.
Here in Echo Park Utah

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
shu

Oddometer: 987
Chaco Canyon, New Mexico

Hilleberg Akto. My favorite tent. Packs small and is fairly light (about 3 1/2 pounds). 1 person with a large vestibule- big enough for all luggage, helmet, boots, etc..

Great shelter when the weather gets crappy. It takes 8 (or 10) stakes to get it tight but I've never been anywhere I couldn't somehow get it rigged. (I don't camp in Walmart parking lots.)

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,110
[IMG][/IMG]

Keron 3 gt
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote