User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
ArmyStrong OP
6F

Oddometer: 276
Gerbing dual controller led lights - question

I really tried to solve this on my own but after a bunch of googling and finding many with the ?, i am asking you.

One led flashes yellow

the other led is solid green

Gear (jacket and gloves) are heating up. Gloves do not heat up as much as they did when I only had those without a controller.

Both knobs on the controller are turned up to 100%.

Help me figure out these damn lights, the manual is .....crap.

love the gear BTW :)
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
AlwaysRolling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post
I really tried to solve this on my own but after a bunch of googling and finding many with the ?, i am asking you.

One led flashes yellow

Gear (jacket and gloves) are heating up. Gloves do not heat up as much as they did when I only had those without a controller.

Hello there,

I have the dual controller, a liner and gloves. I have not used the dual controler and gloves together yet, but before I go my replacement single controller I had been using the dual controller for just the liner.

Please let me know what would you like me to do, and I will go to the bike with the liner, gloves and dual controller, and I will try it out and report back to you.
AlwaysRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
BrentST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm in, I'd like to know what the lights are trying to tell me. (I don't worry about it a lot, I usually can't see them anyway)
BrentST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
AlwaysRolling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentST View Post
I'm in, I'd like to know what the lights are trying to tell me. (I don't worry about it a lot, I usually can't see them anyway)

Hmm, I thought the degree of flashing was correlate to the dial setting -as in at the low temperature settings it flashes slowly, then the flashing increases, until at the high ranges it is a solid light. Is that not the case? I will check tomorrow. I have both a single and dual controller I can test with. I also have my older single controller which uses a red light (the new one uses a green light).
AlwaysRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 8,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post

One led flashes yellow

Here's what I remember someone telling me, and it seems to hold true in my experience. However, I could be wrong but I've been using my Gerbing gear for a couple years now without any problems.

If you're getting a flashing or solid yellow, it's okay. The faster it flashes, the higher you've turned it up.

If you're getting a flashing or solid green, still okay. The faster it flashes, the higher you've turned it up.

I do believe yellow is indicative of a lower draw from your bike's battery, but I am not sure of this. A green LED means the controller is getting the power it wants.

If you get a red LED, either solid or blinking, you have a circuit overload. Turn everything off, then on again.

Also, don't connect your dual controller until AFTER you've started the bike. I do believe this is when you get a red LED. I fried mine doing that in Colorado. However, I turned off the bike, turned off and unplugged the controller, started the bike, then connected the controller and everything was fine.

If you have no LEDs at all, the polarity is reversed.

As I said, my experience is that if you have a solid or blinking yellow or green LED, you're good. Obviously someone should correct me if I'm wrong on this, though.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
unknown stuntman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
If i remember correctly..

Flashing/ solid green= OK
Flashing/ solid yellow= OK
Flashing green/ red low voltage
Flashing red - short/overload
unknown stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
If i remember correctly..

Flashing/ solid green= OK
Flashing/ solid yellow= OK
Flashing green/ red low voltage
Flashing red - short/overload

I've got this Gerbing controller

and all I've ever had are orange (which might be yellow?) and red led's.
Either side runs the jacket liner or the gloves and both sides work fine with speed of blinking rate corresponding to heat level.
I don't think I have a problem and have never ever seen a green led on it.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
unknown stuntman
Adventurer

I have the same one... Maybe mine was made in Bangladesh or something. I get a green light with the black knob (gloves) and an orange (yellow) light with the grey knob (liner).

The green/ red flashing on mine is a problem.
And you are certainly correct about the rate when turned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post

Either side runs the jacket liner or the gloves and both sides work fine with speed of blinking rate corresponding to heat level.

unknown stuntman screwed with this post 12-18-2014 at 05:24 PM
Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
ArmyStrong OP
6F

Oddometer: 276
Quote:

Thats the one I have too. According to my dealer, one is supposed to be green and one yellow (orange?) so you can see the different ones (gloves versus jacket). the green one will always be solid or flashing, the yellow one always yellow or flashing. They are solid if they are at temperature and not drawing much power (not working hard), they are flashing if they are working fine but drawing needed power to maintain/raise temp. Flash rate is based on how high you have it turned up. Red is what was stated earlier.

Its just funny that many of us have them working OK, but folks like me and others don't know the lights. Gerbings manual is crap, but I love the gear. Day 2 of having Gerbing gear and wondering why it took me so long. Its like riding at 80 degrees and back to a jacket and a shirt.
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I have an old Gerbings dual controller with a red and yellow LED. It has worked for many years and I am sure that my controller does not have a green LED. Don't know about newer controllers.

The reason for the flashing is that the controller is a Pulse Width Modifier - meaning that it controls the width of the power pulse. As others have pointed out when the light is solid, the power is always on. When the light is flashing, the power is on for a short time and then off for a short time. This happens so fast that all we notice is the frequency of the flash. Higher flash indicates more power - just as was noted earlier.

My gloves never get very hot either but they keep my hands from getting cold.

I believe (not sure here) that the gloves are tuned down to prevent a burn or blisters. We all ride with at least a t-shirt under the heated jacket. But normally we have nothing under the gloves.

As was noted earlier, which light corresponds to the goves depends on how the wires from the controller were connected to the jacket.

In any case, I am quite happy with the heated jacket and gloves.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvecchio View Post
I have an old Gerbings dual controller with a red and yellow LED.
I should note that mine is older as well. Purchased used from an inmate in the FM. Date of mfr unknown.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
unknown stuntman
Adventurer

Quote:
I should note that mine is older as well. Purchased used from an inmate in the FM. Date of mfr unknown.
Mine is 2 months old so I guess the newer version has a green led
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
houndawgg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
This might help

When the knob is turned fully clockwise, the LED light should be solid, wether it is connected to the piece of gear or not. If it is blinking, it's not putting out maximum power and the piece won't heat up to maximum(135 degrees).

houndawgg screwed with this post 12-18-2014 at 09:35 PM
houndawgg is offline   Reply With Quote