Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #136
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,039
Well my Ultra II kevlar jacket arrived last week...several weeks ahead of Wayne's estimate. I must say that I am impressed with the quality and workmanship of this jacket. The material is definitely unlike anything else I have seen. I opted for the yellow/black with the scotchlite extended down the sleeves. It's better looking in person than in the pictures.

I must also tell you how Wayne went out of his way to make sure my jacket would fit (boy am I gald he did). I called in my measurements and placed my order; a few days later Wayne calls me and says "Are you sure these are right?" I say "Yeah - I am a big guy..thats part of why I am having you make me a jacket, I can't find any locally that fit right." Wayne says "Will you recheck the sleeve length with some of the other jackets you have, just to be sure??" -- Well, Wayne was right! Somehow my daughter and I had screwed up the measurements. The jacket fits exactly like the jacket I gave him the sleeve measurements from. Nice. It's great to see someone take that interest in their customers orders, use their expertise and get the thing right the first time.

I have been riding with it ever day since....including an off-road only trip to the desert. I am quite happy with the jacket. At speeds above 45 it feels like you are wearing nothing but a t-shirt. (It was about 80 degrees) I have not tried the rain liner or the gore-tex yet, but tommorow is supposed to be wet here.

The ultimate test of the jacket would be a crash... I am hoping that I won't soon be doing that.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:35 PM   #137
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by 056RLK
The ultimate test of the jacket would be a crash... I am hoping that I won't soon be doing that.

YOU mean you hope you will NEVER be doing that!

as far as harassing ....guess it depends ...might be Chuck Norris's mom, or Bruce Lee's realative.....then what...OOOOOPS!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #138
clang
Not lost, Exploring!

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
is there anyone out there who lives in a climate with a range so wide that you bought both the mesh and the kevlar stretch blend?

I've got both in the jacket. Just the stretch in the pants. The mesh has a stiffer feel to it. I can actually wear the stretch comfortably in most weather. I only wear the mesh in the middle of the summer, or on shorter rides around town where I know I won't get up the speed for the air flow through the stretch blend.

I have actually worn the mesh in about 30 deg weather with the liner and a gerbings and been toasty warm.
clang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #139
minging
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle
Charlie,

This thread is useless without pix.

Can you either post a pic or send me a photo of what the jacket looks like w/o the pockets?

I'd be very appreciatory.

Thanks man
Sam
+1 - Can somebody who has the jacket without the upper pockets please post a pic? Pretty please?
minging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #140
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingi310
+1 - Can somebody who has the jacket without the upper pockets please post a pic? Pretty please?
Well, I can't help with the no pockets pics, but I did put a review over here:
http://klr650.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11526

Lots of pics.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #141
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
I have ridden with this jacket for a week and from 40 degrees F in the morning to 80 degrees F last Sat afternoon. It's kept me toasty warm and cool so far.
Great pics. Thanks for the link. I see you're in Utah but went with the mesh instead of the stretch. Did you have both liners in while riding at 40 deg.?

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #142
PHOTON PHIL
THe REAL poser

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingi310
I ordered a Kevlar mesh jacket and pants the other day, 12 weeks boo hoo.
I originally had them delete the top pockets because I crashed once and the cell phone in my pocket broke 3 ribs. The phone was OK I called them back and had them make the jacket with the pockets as usual. I won't be carrying anything in them while riding but they might come in handy while walking around. The girl at Motoport told me that the zippered top pocket was a customers favorite place to carry thier GUN.
Just my .02
PHOTON PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #143
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTON PHIL
The girl at Motoport told me that the zippered top pocket was a customers favorite place to carry thier GUN.
Good to know! I just wish it was on the left side since I'm right-handed
Old 05-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #144
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
Great pics. Thanks for the link. I see you're in Utah but went with the mesh instead of the stretch. Did you have both liners in while riding at 40 deg.?

Kev.
I've tried it with just the rain liner and with both liners. I am on the freeway early morning for about 20 min averaging 70-75mph. The rain liner alone does keep the wind off well, but it is more comfortable (warm) with both liners in. If I was just riding around town I wouldn't put the gore-tex liner in...it gets toasty fast.

As a side note I rode home in a torrential downpour yesterday and the liner kept me completely dry.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #145
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
I've tried it with just the rain liner and with both liners. I am on the freeway early morning for about 20 min averaging 70-75mph. The rain liner alone does keep the wind off well, but it is more comfortable (warm) with both liners in. If I was just riding around town I wouldn't put the gore-tex liner in...it gets toasty fast.

As a side note I rode home in a torrential downpour yesterday and the liner kept me completely dry.
I have had my motoport ( mesh) for about 4 months. Just started to use it about 2 months ago. Best gear I have ever used ( stitch, vanson etc). I have not ridden in the rain. Nor Have I used the liners. I was wondering what is the easyest way to use the liners ( for rain use & a short time). Put them on, then put on the mesh. Maybe you could explain some of the ways you have tried wearing the liners/installing them....tia !
Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #146
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
I have had my motoport ( mesh) for about 4 months. Just started to use it about 2 months ago. Best gear I have ever used ( stitch, vanson etc). I have not ridden in the rain. Nor Have I used the liners. I was wondering what is the easyest way to use the liners ( for rain use & a short time). Put them on, then put on the mesh. Maybe you could explain some of the ways you have tried wearing the liners/installing them....tia !
I just lay the mesh shell out...put my arm in the liner an grab the end of the sleeve...push it into the mesh..snap the straps and then pull my hand out...smae with the other sleeve; then zip liner into shell. I tried putting the shell on and then putting on the mesh over it, but it didn't work too well.

Only 61 degrees here today, but I wore a sweatshirt under the jacket with both liners in... had to pull over and take both liners out and stash them in my tank bags. Lesson learned: What you wear under the jacket has a BIG effect on it's abilities. Even with just the mesh and the sweatshirt I was a little warm unless I kept up my speed.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #147
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Got my pants this last wednesday.

First thing my wife said when I put them on.. "hey, those are kinda sexy."

That means, I"m keeping them.

Also, the armor is much much more substantial than I thought it would be.
From pictures, you can't really tell there's that much protection, but man, there really is. As Gringo put it "do i feel protected? gawd yes!"

Was worried that the butt area was too roomy. Then i sat on the bike and realized this was on purpose so that you have a little room to maneuver.
With jeans, you feel tight in the butt and crotch area when you throw your leg over. These become just the right fit when you're straddling a bike.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #148
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Order Date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
Got my pants this last wednesday.
When did you place your order? (So I can have a rough idea of when mine might arrive... !!!)
Old 05-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #149
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Early March. They say 10-12 weeks, but it's more like 8-10 from what i hear.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #150
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
Early March. They say 10-12 weeks, but it's more like 8-10 from what i hear.
Cool! My order was placed March 24th!!!