ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #1516
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
Goto Facebook and type in Motorport ya lazy basterrrrrd
j
omg wayne is on facebook?
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1517
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
Goto Facebook and type in Motorport ya lazy basterrrrrd
j
I'm not nearly cool enough for facebook.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #1518
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Motoport's new Heated Liners just arrived. These heated liners are made by the top heated liner company Warm & Safe. Our new Heated liner will zip into the 100% Waterproof/Windproof/Breathable Aero-Tex Liner. Now have the best Heated Liner in combination with our Aero-Tex Liner to provide the most comfort of any heated liner ever made.

If you currently own our Aero-Tex Liner and want to add the Heated Liner, give us a call for a return authorization number. Send back the Aero-Tex Liner to have the new Warm & Safe custom fitted.
from facebook
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #1519
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 850
If you are just arriving at this post after having read all the rest, you are probably as overstimulated as I was when trying to decide what to get for my next jacket. I finally called Wayne at Motoport last night, and he was very patient and gave me tons of info. Following the call, I got on the website and put together what I wanted for options, and today I called and placed the order! 3 1/2 to 4 weeks is what he anticipates for delivery, so I am really excited.
I ordered the Marathon in stretch kevlar, and added the features that seemed most practical to me. Right now I am exclusively a street rider, but I expect to do some dirt and gravel roads in 3 years when I retire. I currently have a heavy leather jacket, but no upper body armor. I wear Bohn Armor under Diamond Gusset kevlar jeans right now, and will continue to do so until I can save up for the pants. While this new Motoport gear is much more expensive than anything I have previously purchased, all the reviews describe it as very robust, so I am not looking to replace it.
Since I live in the Adirondacks and ride in temps from 30 to 95 degrees, I got the zip in mesh strip, which provides better ventilation for really hot weather. Wayne said on my naked bike I should be plenty cool in the stretch kevlar as long as I am moving, and the places I ride rarely have any traffic to speak of, so I think this should be a good choice. I also got the uninsulated rain liner, and so my Triumph one piece rain suit will be no longer needed. Probably buy some cheap rain pants for heavy downpours.
I encourage anyone who is overwhelmed by all of this info to give Wayne a call and describe your riding conditions, etc., as he has outfitted riders for about every type of condition you can imagine, and is very generous with his time. If the product is as good as the customer service, then it will be awesome!
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #1520
flyinlow
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 42
I've been wrangling over which Motoport gear for a while as well, and have pretty much come to the same conclusion to go with the Marathon stretch kevlar jacket for now (in the next month or so) and pants to follow later. Still not sure about going with the zip in mesh yet, but perhaps. My 20 year old 2 pc. Roadcrafter is a bit long in the tooth, especially the jacket, so I'm looking forword to a new kit.
Keep us informed ssevy on your experience and impressions of the Marathon.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #1521
MutatedRock
Subscribed to Issues
 
MutatedRock's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Oddometer: 17
Sprung for the winter gloves. Throwing up first impressions as information is limited so far. Summer gloves were in the original review.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1293

The key ingredient is Hipora similar to goretex it should wick and keep my hands dry. Information and application of the material seems rare. The cuff is quite long should fit under or over most jackets. The gloves seem to have good feel and less bulk than other winter gloves.



As an extension of the stretch kevlar it can ware off some rain and it flows a good deal of air with the vents closed. The jacket is extremely comfortable while riding and even walking around in. I look forward to summer use. My one complaint is the high collar on the front as the corners rub on my throat while open.

The zipper on the side of the pants is a godsend for commuting as it's so easy to reach into pant pockets worn underneath instead of transferring everything to external pockets.

...

Went for a ride around 10c, 50F and my fingers did get chilled. These are not heavy insulated gloves. I stuck a hand out around the windscreen and could not feel the wind at all on the highway. The fine controls like turn signals were easier to use in these than typical gloves.

MutatedRock screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 10:02 PM
MutatedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #1522
CamoGreg
Can you see me?
 
CamoGreg's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Lewis & Clark Valley
Oddometer: 4,190
Good thread

I'm leaning toward motoport gear also.

I have a few questions for the collective here.

I have a riding friend who has been wearing a mesh motoport for years. He loves it.
I don't think the stretch kevlar was available at the time.

Here's where I'm leaning at the moment:

I like the look of the Air Mesh Kevlar waist cut jacket.
I don't see a stretch jacket listed in this version. Riva seems to be the closest.

I'm also leaning toward the stretch kevlar overpant.

I'm hoping to get an all season do-it-all setup.
I ride in a huge variety of climates.
Heated jacket liners are almost always in the panniers. Altitude riding in northern Idaho can be cold even in summer.
Then there's the hot...and I don't do it well.

But someone posted about air mesh gear is still hot when getting the full blast furnace effect at 110F+

My current favorite riding setup is a Cortech Mesh. I use a double liner system of Wind/Rain/Insulation.
When combined with a heated liner, I've rode comfortably in is sub-freezing temps.
First Gear Ht overpants have served me OK in the last 5 years. With a liner, they work well in cold temps and rain.
But the HT's are damn hot in the summer.

I tend to agree with whoever posted about extreme heat not being great for mesh.
I've actually been in heavier, less flowing gear and remained cooler with an evaporative vest than in my mesh gear. The mesh flows so much air, it dries the vest out very quickly.
It also seems to heat things up by allowing super heated air to blast in, where something more restrictive allows for more controlled cooling be it by sweat or a vest.

I've also read the stretch material fits better, is more comfortable, and helps hold the armor in place.

Certainly I'd go with the stretch overpants since I don't heat use electric heat on my legs.
And the overpant design of motoport looks to be the best I've seen.

I'm still torn on the jacket, however. I really like the look of this Mesh Kevlar Jacket.
Really like to hear y'alls opinions.

Thanks.
__________________
CAMOGREG
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening - "Moonlight" Graham
CamoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #1523
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,122
The gp2 would be the stretch equivalent waist length jacket. Looks more normal without those goofy flaps/snaps on the Riva. I have a like new one with liners I'd sell if interested. Pm me for size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGreg View Post
Good thread

I'm leaning toward motoport gear also.

I have a few questions for the collective here.

I have a riding friend who has been wearing a mesh motoport for years. He loves it.
I don't think the stretch kevlar was available at the time.

Here's where I'm leaning at the moment:

I like the look of the Air Mesh Kevlar waist cut jacket.
I don't see a stretch jacket listed in this version. Riva seems to be the closest.

I'm also leaning toward the stretch kevlar overpant.

I'm hoping to get an all season do-it-all setup.
I ride in a huge variety of climates.
Heated jacket liners are almost always in the panniers. Altitude riding in northern Idaho can be cold even in summer.
Then there's the hot...and I don't do it well.

But someone posted about air mesh gear is still hot when getting the full blast furnace effect at 110F+

My current favorite riding setup is a Cortech Mesh. I use a double liner system of Wind/Rain/Insulation.
When combined with a heated liner, I've rode comfortably in is sub-freezing temps.
First Gear Ht overpants have served me OK in the last 5 years. With a liner, they work well in cold temps and rain.
But the HT's are damn hot in the summer.

I tend to agree with whoever posted about extreme heat not being great for mesh.
I've actually been in heavier, less flowing gear and remained cooler with an evaporative vest than in my mesh gear. The mesh flows so much air, it dries the vest out very quickly.
It also seems to heat things up by allowing super heated air to blast in, where something more restrictive allows for more controlled cooling be it by sweat or a vest.

I've also read the stretch material fits better, is more comfortable, and helps hold the armor in place.

Certainly I'd go with the stretch overpants since I don't heat use electric heat on my legs.
And the overpant design of motoport looks to be the best I've seen.

I'm still torn on the jacket, however. I really like the look of this Mesh Kevlar Jacket.
Really like to hear y'alls opinions.

Thanks.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #1524
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoGreg View Post
Good thread

But someone posted about air mesh gear is still hot when getting the full blast furnace effect at 110F+


I tend to agree with whoever posted about extreme heat not being great for mesh.
I've actually been in heavier, less flowing gear and remained cooler with an evaporative vest than in my mesh gear. The mesh flows so much air, it dries the vest out very quickly.
It also seems to heat things up by allowing super heated air to blast in, where something more restrictive allows for more controlled cooling be it by sweat or a vest.
air temp while riding.........thought this might be useful....
at 95F you are heating yourself up by riding faster.......

the stretch material flows a lot of air. the armor doesn't.
i'd rather sweat a bit and have more armor.
both the stretch and mesh can be made into all-season gear by heated liners and/or rain liners.
Attached Images
 
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #1525
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew
 
ikonoklass's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 2,601
I have a waist-cut mesh jacket which I zip to a pair of Stretch Kevlar pants. I wear it year-round. In the winter, I wear the Motoport rain liner and a Gerbing's jacket liner. I have no use for the Motoport insulated liner.

Yes, there are times when I am still hot in the summer, but this is without a doubt the best setup I've ever found. Had it almost five years and will be a Motoport customer forever.
__________________
2012 Speed Triple
2005 R1200GS
1998 FXDL
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #1526
no2opec
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 135
Just received my wife's and mine Motoport Kevlar shirts. What a great piece of gear. Will be using it more than my Marathon jacket because it does not have to be zipped to the pants for max protection,less bulky and can also be tucked in just like a shirt. Went with quad on this one and optioned for stretch Kevlar on the back to match our Jean style pants. Wayne also modded the collar and the pockets for a more modern look. By far the best gear out there and I have owned it all.
no2opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #1527
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by no2opec View Post
Just received my wife's and mine Motoport Kevlar shirts. What a great piece of gear. Will be using it more than my Marathon jacket because it does not have to be zipped to the pants for max protection,less bulky and can also be tucked in just like a shirt. Went with quad on this one and optioned for stretch Kevlar on the back to match our Jean style pants. Wayne also modded the collar and the pockets for a more modern look. By far the best gear out there and I have owned it all.
Love to see some pictures of this one
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #1528
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco
 
inmate-n00b's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by no2opec View Post
Just received my wife's and mine Motoport Kevlar shirts. What a great piece of gear. Will be using it more than my Marathon jacket because it does not have to be zipped to the pants for max protection,less bulky and can also be tucked in just like a shirt. Went with quad on this one and optioned for stretch Kevlar on the back to match our Jean style pants. Wayne also modded the collar and the pockets for a more modern look. By far the best gear out there and I have owned it all.
sounds cool!
pics??
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #1529
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 850
I called and upgraded to the quad armor for my marathon jacket order. I really did not want to spend the extra money when I placed the initial order, but when I just filled up my car to the tune of 70 some dollars, it seemed to put the cost of something which might save me from serious harm into better perspective.
When I talked to Wayne about my order originally, he said the kevlar summer gloves had been changed to have less material in the palm for better feel, and the hard plates on the fingers were gone. Has anyone bought/used the updated design yet? Comments?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #1530
no2opec
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 135
Motoport Kevlar Shirts

Will get some pics up in a day or two
no2opec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014