Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #1591
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I didn't post it, but I'll do some shots after work and put them up.
Does the jacket get too big with the panel?
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #1592
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Zip Mesh Vent Insert

I emailed Wayne for details on the insert.
I really wished I knew about this when I had my jacket made!!
Seems like a good idea.

Quote:
If you were to order the Zip Mesh Vent Insert with a new jacket the cost is $39.00. To take a jacket already made and add the flap the cost is $79.00. On an older jacket we have to remove the main zip flap, Velcro and cut/shorten the flap behind the zipper. The Kevlar Mesh Vent is 2" wide. The Vent Flap can be unzipped from the bottom up just like your jacket now. You can see the two way zippers in the attached photo. Flap is the same length as the jacket is now.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #1593
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Sorry, I have been too busy to take any pictures. In regards to the zip in vent, it does improve airflow, but I wouldn't return my jacket and spend $70 to get it installed. Honestly, I have not found the mesh zip in to create a radical increase in airflow.
I really think all of the discussion about hot weather riding is missing the simplest solution, which is a cooling vest. When I have the zip in strip installed, I have to snug up the adjustment straps on the sides to take out the slack. Likewise, removing armor to improve airflow just seems to defeat the purpose of the gear, which is to offer protection in a crash.
Much better to keep things zipped up and all the armor in place, and use a vest to keep the inside cool. The stretch kevlar allows just the right amount of airflow to keep the evaporation going which keeps you really cool. Safety and comfort, and less expensive too. Here's one possibility:

http://fourseasonssurvival.3dcartsto...and_p_123.html
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #1594
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Sorry, I have been too busy to take any pictures. In regards to the zip in vent, it does improve airflow, but I wouldn't return my jacket and spend $70 to get it installed. Honestly, I have not found the mesh zip in to create a radical increase in airflow.
I really think all of the discussion about hot weather riding is missing the simplest solution, which is a cooling vest. When I have the zip in strip installed, I have to snug up the adjustment straps on the sides to take out the slack. Likewise, removing armor to improve airflow just seems to defeat the purpose of the gear, which is to offer protection in a crash.
Much better to keep things zipped up and all the armor in place, and use a vest to keep the inside cool. The stretch kevlar allows just the right amount of airflow to keep the evaporation going which keeps you really cool. Safety and comfort, and less expensive too. Here's one possibility:

http://fourseasonssurvival.3dcartsto...and_p_123.html

Interesting, thanks for the feedback as far as the effectiveness of the zip in vent.

I found that removing the chest armor and lowering/removing the windscreen helps.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #1595
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
My bike is naked, so I get maximum airflow. Removing any armor to adjust temperature seems a poor trade off. Just my humble opinion.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #1596
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

for the kevlar racing gloves:
does it use flat seams or external seams?
sometimes after a long ride i can feel the seams and it creates a very uncomfy pressure point. i should work on my techinique, but still....
Can you feel the seams on your fingers while the glove is on?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #1597
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Motoport Marathon - Stretch - Hot Weather

First long ride with my Motoport gear - about 2K miles. Had the gear for almost 2 years.
Met up with some friends in Flagstaff (after traveling from the coast via Barstow- Needles) for a memorial ride for a friend who died last year. The trip was all over central/southern AZ at a modest pace. Temperatures ranged from about 60F to 115F. Was wearing LD garments underneath the Marathon jacket and pants and had a camelbak full of ice water all the time. At less than 100 degree the gear was quite comfortable. At temperatures greater than 100 - opening the jacket to below sternum and keeping moving or finding shade was the key to staying comfortable.

I did take out the chest armour to improve the cooling in the jacket.

All in all - a great improvement over my Stitch in hot weather
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #1598
BonesDT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Subscribing (can't get enough MP pics).
Frey-Daytona Security Evo G3 Boots
Held Titan Gloves
BonesDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #1599
morabito
Crashtest

Oddometer: 18
Still Can't Decide - Stretch or Mesh Jacket -

So, I've been through all of the threads and have read everything there is to read on the stretch vs mesh material. I live in Connecticut. In summer, we frequently get days in the 90, sometimes even 100 degrees. I roast in my Aerostich roadcrafter, and am looking for something cooler, but that I can still use in early spring and fall when temps drop. I've read that the mesh and stretch both perform the same in cooler weather with the liners in, but would think the stretch must be warmer. Sometimes on the hot days it will be in the high 60s or low 70s in the early morning. I'm leaning towards the stretch and thinking about relying on a cooling vest for the really hot days, but don't know if that will work in the hot AND humid, which we get here in the northeast. I've read that some poeple love the stretch as far south as Atlanta, but that others have no problem layering the mesh for cold weather. So, my head is spinning. I guess it has a lot to do with not knowing how the stretch actually feels in the heat compared to my Stich. For the hot days I currently use a First Gear mesh jacket which is light and cool enough, but I'm not comfortable with the protection it offers. So I ask you all, especially New Englanders, for advice. Keep in mind that I am not concerned with arid desert like temps as I don't ride in that climate. Heat here in New England is often, though not always, accompanied by humidity. Thanks to all in advance for your insight.
morabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #1600
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,485
I'm in MA, and had the same questions. Went with stretch, as the number fo cooler days exceeds hotte days up here in NE.

Like you, had a 'stich that was an absolute roaster in the summer. I have worn the stretch in 90 degree days and it was fine, so long as you are moving, but I think that applies to any gear.

If your tolerance for heat is minimal, I would say mesh, but I've found the stretch to be OK in hotter weather when it's set up to vent and you're moving along.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #1601
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
Providence here. The stretch is extremely versatile, but damn is it hot! I just ordered a cool vest to try out. It's true that the fabric breathes and it really depends on how you ride. If you commute in traffic you're gonna roast on days like today. If you're moving for a period of time it's fine. Ask for as much venting as Wayne is willing to do. You'll need it.

If you can deal with the mesh rough fabric it might be good to go stretch on bottom/mesh on top for compromise?

One thing to keep in mind when ordering is to give Wayne your neck diameter. I find the liner very tight with a tall heated liner. The huge lump of Velcro in your throat doesn't help so consider a snap rather than the chunky Velcro.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #1602
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have the Stretch Kevlar Jacket,Stretch kevlar pants, and the Mesh Shirt. In the summer, I wear the Mesh shirt with the stretch kevlar pants. I'm a big guy, and I like the way the Mesh shirt breathes when its Hot out. . It does not move as well as the stretch kevlar, but I have gotten used to the stiffness.
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #1603
markdrums
Better late than...?

Oddometer: 49
I'm surprised there's not more mention of Motoport's cordura gear when talking about airflow. I have both cordura and stretch overpants (both black), and to me the cordura flows MUCH more air and is more comfortable in the heat than the stretch.

I haven't tried a stretch jacket, but my air mesh with a light jacket underneath works in a wide range of temps on my unfaired bike.

My $.02, that's all...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #1604
morabito
Crashtest

Oddometer: 18
Thanks! This is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for. For those experienced with Roadcrafter, which I roast in, would you say the stretch is much cooler? I'm also experimenting with a cooling vest and wondering if Stretch with a cooling vest is the way to go on days like today and hotter, or if I should just go mesh and layer up in Winter. Anybody use the mesh in the cold?
morabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #1605
x_hog_ridr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I have the mesh jacket and pants and have used them in the cold.
When on long trips, I always take the electric gear. With the electric stuff I am never cold, mesh or not.
I usually have a liner in with the electric gear, or have a rain jacket on the outside blocking air and rain.

So, the mesh if fine if you have the gear to layer with.
My jacket is just the right fit by itself, and a little snug with the electric gear underneath. Think about that when sizing.
I was told a pretty high price to get the whole jacket a little bigger.
x_hog_ridr is offline   Reply With Quote