Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #1621
Jibby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I've had my Motoport Mesh jacket and stretch pants for about two years now. If I had it to do again, I would go for the stretch jacket too.

My jacket is pretty comfortable and fits very well but it is stiff.

I find being behind the windshield of my V-Strom I don't get a lot of airflow anyway so I think the stretch would be fine. Also with my LDComfort base layers, I don't need a ton of airflow to be comfortable in heat. Just get a bit wet or even my own sweat will keep me cool. I have a cooling vest but I haven't used it yet. Even while crossing the Nevada desert twice on my last trip a few weeks ago.

I also have a pair of their kevlar gloves. Get them wet and my hands stay cool into the 100's. Behind my hand guards they stay moist and cool for hours.

As for Motoport in general? I think it is the best stuff out there. I did a lot of shopping before I bought my suit and I continue to look at the available options. I haven't found anything that comes close.

No, I don't have any affiliation with Wayne or his company. I'm just a very happy customer.

Granted I have not tested the suit in a get off and don't want too. i did have the opportunity to see some of the suits Wayne has in his shop that have seen the pavement. They look like they can take quite beating.

Jibby
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #1622
BonesDT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My stretch GP-2 jacket will be on my doorstep tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frey-Daytona Security Evo G3 Boots
Held Titan Gloves
BonesDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #1623
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 91
I've just finished about 50 riding hours in my new Airmesh gear (pants/jacket/gloves) w/Quad armor. Overall, I think its outstanding in every respect (superb fit, quality, finish and protective capabilities). The Quad armor takes a while to break-in but really molds well to your body. You don't really notice its substantial weight once you're geared up. The liners make it an excellent cost/benefit choice over having multiple temperature outfits. I really like the airflow here in Maryland's hot (mid-90s) and really muggy environment.

I previously had a low speed (35mph) getoff wearing Motoport's Tri-armored Challenger jacket and Kevlar gloves - no injuries whatsoever. That included sliding on pavement with my hand trapped under me. The run of the mill pants (non-Motorport) I was wearing were torn up but I was wearing T-Pro knee armor and quality boots so no injuries. I'm confident that the Kevlar blended fabric and Quad armor is the best my money can buy. The custom fit is just impossible to beat. Count me as a very happy Motoport customer for life.
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #1624
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Wayne showed me some "cool black" Kevlar when I was sized in May. Any idea when that is making it into the product line?

I have an air mesh top and bottom. I really like it so far (received end of July). I hope I don't have to test it, but it seems like a major increase in protection over the 'Stich. Still, gotta love the 'Stich is wet weather.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #1625
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
For those on the fence on buying Motoport gear I would say your hide is worth it. I just went down at 40 mph and my Marathon mesh jacket and pants saved my rump.

Another very happy customer.......
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #1626
MutatedRock
Subscribed to Issues

Oddometer: 17
Another plug for motoport.

I had someone go through a stop sign from a side-street and drive into the side of the bike. I was tossed 50 some feet and rolled three times. The back above and below the back protector has muscle spasms that should heal, a 1/4 ankle radius by 6 inches had a couple layers of skin removed and a bone bruise that should heal, knee was scraped and bruised with no lasting injury. My shoulder kinda hurt from impacting with the hood of the pickup truck but its expected to heal as well.

There isn't one stitch out of place on the motoport gear, the armor 100% saved a break or fracture. I'm thankful I was on the ST1300 at the time as the engine head, front and rear crashbars and panniers are hit before the rider... boots were crushed, helmet destroyed, bike wrecked, motoport & rider OK. I was found with no fault and complete coverage, everything is good.
MutatedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #1627
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Here is my review comparing both stretch and air mesh Kevlar pants.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734709

God bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #1628
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
For people who are taking their motoports in the dirt a lot:
What modifications have you done to the jacket and pants?
I know the leatt brace mod is popular.
Others have mesh panels in the jacket.
Anything else?
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #1629
BonesDT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
I know the leatt brace mod is popular.
Others have mesh panels in the jacket.
Anything else?
FWIW:

Wayne talked me out of the Leatt Brace mod when I recently ordered my GP-2 jacket because I didn't have the brace yet. He recommended getting ht new STX brace, which is designed to go over jackets instead of making the collar mod to accomodate the non-STX braces. I'm actually relieved, because the Motoport mod is hideously Frankenstein'ish without the brace.
Frey-Daytona Security Evo G3 Boots
Held Titan Gloves
BonesDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #1630
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Mine's all mesh except for stretch panels on the back of the pants.

I ride dirt a lot, and I eliminated the double map pockets on the chest, used zippered pockets at the side. No thigh pockets, only zippered slash pockets.

My hope was to maximize airflow by eliminating areas of multiple fabric layers.

But I'm also running Quad Armor, so airflow is a compromise.

I have other better images, but when I run them people think I'm some sort of shill, so sorry....

If I'm riding strictly technical trails all day, I'll use dirt bike gear. But any dualsporting or multi-day adventure, it's the Motoport.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #1631
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Good feedback.

I was also thinking, in addition to the feedback given:
  • Cover over all zippers to prevent dirt from jamming them. It's only the main zipper that has a velcro-secured storm flap.
  • More venting and/or mesh kevlar panels
  • More adjustability in the neck, like the BMW Rallye jacket. This would accommodate the long collar of a Gerbings heated jacket.
  • Pocket for a camel back
  • Loop below the shoulder to attach a camera lanyard.
  • khaki colored
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #1632
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Good feedback.

I was also thinking, in addition to the feedback given:
OMG, you seem like a nice person, so I'm going to put these images up again, hoping it might be of some assistance.

These were shot against the wall of a Kmart, but as a commercial photographer, I like things to look right. Sadly, the last time I ran these here, some of the less sane folks here believed I had shot it in the studio (really? If I had, it would look a LOT better- trust me) and that I was actually a shill for Motoport.

I'm not. This is my own suit, my own image (originals available for the conspiracy theorists) and I'm actually the model here. You can tell by my waistline.

The back has two custom pockets- one for a camelbak bladder, the other for my radio. I'm not terribly fond of the bladder pocket- when the bladder is full, it pulls the suit back across my chest and neck. It's not too bad, but the suit fits much better as I drink down the water. It's not a good design- my fault, I told them exactly what I wanted, and they delivered as promised.

I had a waistline zipper installed and had the jacket cut a little shorter at the waist. Longer is safer- it won't ride up when sliding, but I didn't want that much overlap. The result is the pooch-out at the belly. But that's my belly, too.

You can see the strtetch panels in the back of the pants, under the arms of the jacket.

Hope this helps, and for the nutjobs, please save your fingers and back away from the keyboard.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #1633
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Thanks for sharing. I remember those pics from that other thread. That thread is going on, btw.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #1634
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Do you wear your motocross boots with the large quad armor?
The knee/shin quad armor piece would seem to get in the way.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #1635
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Do you wear your motocross boots with the large quad armor?
The knee/shin quad armor piece would seem to get in the way.
The knee/shin quad armor on my air mesh pants overlaps my taller boots, but when I had my kevlar jeans made, I had the knee/shin tri armor come right down to the very top of my boots so there is no overlap.

I like the latter configuration the best.

You can actually see the difference in the review I linked to earlier. Here it is again.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734709

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote