Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #151
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
did you ever decide about the pockets and other stuff?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #152
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
did you ever decide about the pockets and other stuff?
Here's what I ordered. I forget who told me (it may have been you) that the top pockets appear to be easlily removed from the jacket if I later decided I didn't want them.

Ultra II Air Mesh Jacket in black with blue trim. Velcro on all closures except over the main zipper (snaps). Jacket collar cut to fit snug over liner. Air Tex jacket liner with 3" tall collar cut to fit 1" larger than my neck. Gray retro-reflective stripe across back and down the entire length of both arms to the cuff.

Air Mesh pants in black with added hip armor. Retro-reflective stripe on the side and back of both lower legs. Air Tex pant liner.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 AM   #153
bryanb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
keeping dry

[ I posted this elsewhere, but got no response. So here it is.]

I have been thinking about picking up some new riding clothes. The motoport kevlar jacker looks like a good choice. But my experience with using a waterproof inner liner has not been so great. The problem I have is that the liner is clumsy to get on and off, especially when you are riding in an out of showers. Second, the outer fabric gets soaked. This leaves just a thin layer of cloth between my skin and cold wet blanket. In a cool summer rain at highway speeds, I am very uncomfortable. And the cloth feels heavy from all the water. So my inclination is to buy the stretch kevlar jacket without the liner and buy one of there aero-tex rain jackets. (I figure I don't need the inner thermoloft liner since I have a Kanetsu airvantage jacket.)

However, some posts says the stretch kevlar stays comfortable even when wet. It supposedly dries quickly too. (My cordura jackets have stayed soaked even after hanging them over night.) Do these notoport jackets really dry quickly, (say within a couple of hours), after a real soaking? Do they get cold when wet?
bryanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:12 AM   #154
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

I got the kevlar stretch pants and have a RevIT air jacket.

both are basically mesh, but the stretchmotoport breathes a bit less than the revit.
no biggy for me, i'll take the protection since I don't ride in the extreme heat but I DO ride all the way down to the 30's.

IMO, it's easier to pull raingear on OVER your gear.
So i got didn't get the motoport rain liner, i got them to make them as overpants. They're very well made, not big and flappy, and they slip right on over boots, pants, and all. And they're rolling up to less than 1/2 the size of HT overpants. No exaggeration. they're great.

If you have time to put in a liner and you like it, great. On the highway when you're headed to school and the sky opens up, I find that slipping on a 2-piece goretex top and bottom only takes seconds. Then you don't have to worry about whether your gear is dry or not.

It's just easier. But all what you like.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #155
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I don't like liners either and generally wear a rain jacket over the kevlar jacket. They do dry pretty quickly, about like a cordura jacket that is nikwaxed or scotchguarded. I wear mine every day commuting and if its warm out and I'm on my way home in the rain I leave the rain jacket in the tank bag and get wet. I don't find them uncomfortable when wet and its always dry by morning. Its no magic material that makes being wet in cold weather not cold, in that regard its no different than cordura really.
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #156
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I don't like liners either and generally wear a rain jacket over the kevlar jacket. They do dry pretty quickly, about like a cordura jacket that is nikwaxed or scotchguarded. I wear mine every day commuting and if its warm out and I'm on my way home in the rain I leave the rain jacket in the tank bag and get wet. I don't find them uncomfortable when wet and its always dry by morning. Its no magic material that makes being wet in cold weather not cold, in that regard its no different than cordura really.
What? No magic? They told me MY pants were gonna be magic.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #157
dobias
n00b

Oddometer: 1
waterproof pockets

On the Air Mesh Ultra II jacket & pants, the pockets wouldn't allow much air flow if they were lined with waterproof material. I find it's better to have anything I want to remain dry placed inside a plastic bag such as a ziplock.
After experiencing the complexity of the jacket liner to install, I'm thinking of getting the inexpensive First Gear rain liner. It's a "stand-alone" jacket with elastic cuffs & would be easy to put on before the mesh jacket.

dobias
dobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #158
BryanD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Question Materials: Stretch Kevlar or "light" Stretch Kevlar

So I've been waffling about stretch Kevlar vs Mesh -- and generally thinking I'd probably prefer the stretch. Now I see that Motoport is offering "Ultra II Kevlar Light Pants...made from a four way stretch Kevlar material, in the new lightweight blend."

I'm thinking that this may be the perfect "compromise" between the full-weight strech kevlar and the mesh. Anybody seen this material or can comment?
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #159
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobias
On the Air Mesh Ultra II jacket & pants, the pockets wouldn't allow much air flow if they were lined with waterproof material.
dobias
That's why I was asking for a pocket liner that could be removed most of the time but intalled when it's raining.

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #160
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Gray stretch kevlar material is about to arrive ...

I just called Motorport and supposedly they are due to get the gray stretch kevlar shipment tomorrow. Which means my suit should ship the next day and I'll have it in 3 days after that!

Holy F'n G'dam Son of a B'tch ... I can't wait!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !

(I have a trip to West Virginia coming up and have been dreading having to do the ride in my Aerostich).

- Sam

PS - for those of you not following closely, the gray stretch was on backorder for about 1 month!

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #161
motorradfahrer
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
That's why I was asking for a pocket liner that could be removed most of the time but intalled when it's raining.

Kev.
This is a good idea - was just thinking the same thing. Maybe gore-tex liners with hook velcro on the outside, and loop velcro on the inside of the main pockets so you could install them with the velcro, or remove them for better airflow in hot dry weather?
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #162
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I just ordered one of the Air Mesh waist-cut jackets and a pair of Kevlar (GP-2?) overpants, plus an optional zipper to zip the two pieces together. Seems like a winning combination. If anyone thinks otherwise, please enlighten me.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #163
Timido
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I just got my Mesh waist cut jacket last week. The fit was a little big on me. I just called Wayne and I am going to send a smaller size. So far the only problem I have found is the time it takes to get the jackets and pants. I am confident with them after talking to them that I will get what I want and I know up front that it might take a little time. I like the kevlar mesh alot. My Meyer seat had a long wait time also but it too had great customer suport they made me happy. You cant pry that seat from me now.
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #164
chaserkeywest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
new /Ol guy

I was researching Motoport gear and stumbled onto this forum, I believe I have gotten lucky twice in the process.

I ordered a waist jacket in mesh Kevlar and will after I spend some "quality time" with it decide if the mesh pants are next.

My riding is always done in Florida /Key West /lower Keys or summer ,early fall on my loooong trips.

I have found a rain suit over top or long undies instead of my usual thong work better than fussy "liners".

Thanks to Wayne and Timido and you others for letting me leer and gleen some good info.

I'll be stopping in again soon, and give you my 2 cents about Motoport gear.
chaserkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #165
d2mini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Woot! I ordered mine today! Air Mesh jacket and pants. Jacket was in stock and pants might not take the full 10 weeks. I wish they made the mesh in the bright blue. If they did I would have done a custom order.
I got the warm jacket liner, pants liner and was unsure about hip padding. Should I?

I'm 5'8" and 165lbs. Wayne thinks the small is the right size for me.
Ok, I guess I'll trust him and see how that goes. Anyone else with similiar measurements wearing a small with liner?

Now excuse me while I go administer CPR to my Amex card.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote