Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #1861
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Look at your charts again. Allow me to remind everyone that rain in California is not like rain in the midwest. We NEVER have warm rain in coastal California. It rains in the winter! Whenever I'm in the rain, it's <60F. And if I'm in the mountains or the central valley -- where it's MOST likely to rain -- I'm facing the same conditions as you do in the midwest.

What we don't have a lot of experience with is hot, sticky, summer rain, like the south has.

Unless we tour eastward ...
evidently cold nasty rain is different for me than you ... rain from 60 to 45 range is just not that bad. to me the dangerous hypothermia stuff is cold/nasty rain just above freezing combined with high humidity for wind chill factor 10-15f below actual temps.

brrrrrr ... makes me shiver just thinking about it... much colder temps with snow and/or packed ice conditions are much safer to ride in.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #1862
danlicata
n00b

Oddometer: 8
My order is in.

First thanks to all posting on here, took me about 3 weeks but I made it through the entire thread. I have my order in with Motoport now and the final decision plus some of the options came from reading this thread.

I think I'm part of a small group on here that rides a Harley Davidson, but I'm also a small group of Harley riders that have a Road Glide. I live near Baltimore, MD and have a 1 -2 hour (depending on traffic) commute that I ride nearly every day and take many weekend+ trips. Here is what I ordered please feel free to offer suggestions/advice.

Ultra II mesh Kevlar jacket - black, yellow reflective, sleeve pocket on both sleeves and the rain liner. Ultra II mesh Kevlar pants - black, yellow reflective, stretch on back, suspenders, hip pads, and rain liner.

I decided on the mesh due to the heat and humidty here in MD. I like the idea of the stretch but riding in stop and go traffic and behind a large fairing and whindshield I don't think it's a good idea. I have a cooling vest but that doesn't work well if at all when the humidty is 100%.

I've emailed back and forth and spoken to Wayne on the phone and he's been very helpful. I measured twich before giving them the numbers and plan on measuring agian this weekend just to double check myself. I'm looking forward to getting the gear but am a little nervous on speding the money, but from what I read here I think it will be well worth it.
danlicata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #1863
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlicata View Post
First thanks to all posting on here, took me about 3 weeks but I made it through the entire thread. I have my order in with Motoport now and the final decision plus some of the options came from reading this thread.

I think I'm part of a small group on here that rides a Harley Davidson, but I'm also a small group of Harley riders that have a Road Glide. I live near Baltimore, MD and have a 1 -2 hour (depending on traffic) commute that I ride nearly every day and take many weekend+ trips. Here is what I ordered please feel free to offer suggestions/advice.

Ultra II mesh Kevlar jacket - black, yellow reflective, sleeve pocket on both sleeves and the rain liner. Ultra II mesh Kevlar pants - black, yellow reflective, stretch on back, suspenders, hip pads, and rain liner.

I decided on the mesh due to the heat and humidty here in MD. I like the idea of the stretch but riding in stop and go traffic and behind a large fairing and whindshield I don't think it's a good idea. I have a cooling vest but that doesn't work well if at all when the humidty is 100%.

I've emailed back and forth and spoken to Wayne on the phone and he's been very helpful. I measured twich before giving them the numbers and plan on measuring agian this weekend just to double check myself. I'm looking forward to getting the gear but am a little nervous on speding the money, but from what I read here I think it will be well worth it.
I got the rain liner for my mesh jacket, and rode back to Motoport in short order to have the collar removed from the liner.

Your climate is different than mine, but I found that if it's both wet and cold, I'm going to be wearing an electric jacket or microfiber mid-layer that has a stand-up collar. Two stand-up collars are one too many, IMHO.

And if it's hot, the short stand-up collar on the mesh jacket is also plenty.

Give it some thought.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #1864
danlicata
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
I got the rain liner for my mesh jacket, and rode back to Motoport in short order to have the collar removed from the liner.

Your climate is different than mine, but I found that if it's both wet and cold, I'm going to be wearing an electric jacket or microfiber mid-layer that has a stand-up collar. Two stand-up collars are one too many, IMHO.

And if it's hot, the short stand-up collar on the mesh jacket is also plenty.

Give it some thought.
Excellent thanks. I plan on purchasing some electric gear next cold season so I'll be asking to leave the collar off.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #1865
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I left out the pockets for the chest armor because I found in my first suit they blocked too much air flow. I also left off the upper pockets as I wanted minimal obstruction to air flow and I never carry anything in my jacket pockets when riding and just need the lower pockets when stopped. My jacket is a modified version of the Hong Kong Police jacket, I don't like longer than waist cut jackets. For me the extra jacket length serves no purpose and I always zip my jacket and pants together.

I also use the police pants, mesh on front stretch Kevlar on the back. IMO much more comfortable than my all mesh pants of my first suit without any real difference in air flow. I also left of the thigh armor pockets but got the hip pads. Although many say otherwise I have never found the Kevlar to soften up over the years.
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #1866
danlicata
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
I left out the pockets for the chest armor because I found in my first suit they blocked too much air flow. I also left off the upper pockets as I wanted minimal obstruction to air flow and I never carry anything in my jacket pockets when riding and just need the lower pockets when stopped. My jacket is a modified version of the Hong Kong Police jacket, I don't like longer than waist cut jackets. For me the extra jacket length serves no purpose and I always zip my jacket and pants together.

I also use the police pants, mesh on front stretch Kevlar on the back. IMO much more comfortable than my all mesh pants of my first suit without any real difference in air flow. I also left of the thigh armor pockets but got the hip pads. Although many say otherwise I have never found the Kevlar to soften up over the years.
I was considering removing the upper pockets, but I figured I could always do that/have it done afterwards. I do carry a lot in my pockets. I have a big gut and my current jackets are all "waist cut" that only come down to my belly button. I thought the 3/4 would be a good solution plus I don't like the way waist cut looks on me. I'm a little concerned about it possibly bunching up but I have an email to Wayne asking about that.

Glad to hear you like the stretch back pants. I was hoping that would be more comfortable for riding and wearing when I get off the bike.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #1867
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I have the stretch fabric, and it has got to be one of the most comfortable fabrics on earth, as it stretches with you as you move. It flows sufficient air for me, but I have never worn the mesh, so I can't compare.
1- Were I to do it over again, I would probably opt for no rain liners, not because they don't work well, but because when the sun comes back out and you remove them, you then have a wet garment to don.
I wear them as a windproof inner layer over my warmer base layer for early and late season rides, but think that a simple toggs suit might be faster to put on and help to avoid the issue I mentioned.
2- I am glad that I opted for the quad armor, in the event I ever have to really test this outfit in a crash. I have said it before, but the weight of this garment just disappears once you put it on.
3- I know that a waterproof pocket would prevent airflow through that pocket area, but I wish I had one truly waterproof pocket for the cell phone. I use waterproof zip bags intended for kayaking, and while they work, a pocket would be so much easier.
4- My sleeves just go around my riding gloves with the velcro tabs all the way expanded. I wish I had more adjutment available here.
5- If you have any patches you want sewn on, I would send them to Wayne and have them do them when they make your jacket. I have tried several different adhesives on the stretch material, and nothing stays. I tried to put the motoport patch above the left chest pocket, so now I have a triangular shaped glue patch there I did get my Triumph patch sewn on the pocket itself, as the seamstress could get to the back of the material there. The other places would require sewing the liner as well, and that has the potential for bunching up if not done carefully.

Overall, this outfit is really a lifetime investment, and being honest about how you ride and how you would use the features will be time well spent before placing your order. The feedback from previous owners was very helpful for me, as was Wayne himself, as he was very patient in answering questions and offering advice.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #1868
basstodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Just have to say Once Again. Motoport is the best.
Just hope Wayne doesn't retire before I stop riding.
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #1869
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I also don't like inner liners. On my first suit I bought the waterproof liners and one trip convinced me I would never like internal liners. On my second suit I had Wayne leave out the zippers for the liners on both the jacket and pants. I also do not care for logos so I removed my motoport logo, we all have our quirks.
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #1870
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Here is what I ordered please feel free to offer suggestions/advice.
I got the liners with my MP suit and I would not do it again. Maybe, just maybe I would get pant liners, but definitely not the jacket.

I got a Warm n Safe Gen WP heated liner jacket, which is waterproof and that is all I use now under my MP jacket.

The MP liner pants are a pain because, unlike a jacket liner, it's not so easy to just pull over on the side of the road and put on a pants liner. Instead, what I have been using is some waterproof/breathable rain pants that I got at Sports Authority years ago. I got a size bigger than normal and I can put them on over my MP pants, without having to take off my boots or anything. MUCH easier to deal with, on the side of the road, and much less expensive than the MP pants.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #1871
danlicata
n00b

Thanks for all the input. I think I may leave off the top pockets and just go with two flat zippered pockets instead. I'll also have to think about the liner. I wish I could go with just the stretch but I think I'll need to the mesh when the 100+ degree days with 100% humidity in stop and go traffic for 1.5 hours hits.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #1872
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I think I may leave off the top pockets and just go with two flat zippered pockets instead. I'll also have to think about the liner. I wish I could go with just the stretch but I think I'll need to the mesh when the 100+ degree days with 100% humidity in stop and go traffic for 1.5 hours hits.
Just a thought, but consider a hybrid. I sent my stretch marathon to Wayne over the winter and had him convert the arms to mesh. It hasn't been warmer than high 70's here in the northeast yet, but I think it is going to work quite nicely. Another consideration is to have the collar oversized. The PO if this jacket had that done, and I get a lot of air down the neck, although it sure looks goofy.
I feel like the stretch suit with mesh arms gives the best of both worlds since you get all the comfort of the stretch with some airflow from the mesh. For me, the stretch fabric is HOT, so this helps. I still sweat in the pants though in the summer..
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #1873
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I got a Warm n Safe Gen WP heated liner jacket, which is waterproof and that is all I use now under my MP jacket.
I've had one since they came out, but have yet to really test the waterproofing. Has it proven to be waterproof? I agree it is the most versatile way to go if it keeps you dry.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #1874
SLOco.moto
dos ruedas adicto

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
Just have to say Once Again. Motoport is the best.
Just hope Wayne doesn't retire before I stop riding.

+ 1. Just no other way to say it. I have a variety of their stuff and just love the comfort/protection factor. I wear his stuff every day! The mesh, the stretch Kevlar,..... it's just so damn comfortable and cool (there are occasions where it flows too much, but it's motorcycling, you learn to layer), it just boggles my mind when the nay sayers to protective gear (yes there are neanderthals who think even gloves in warm weather are over kill- I won't comment on what they are riding, or why) want to put down wearing it without having even tried it. I have other gear, (waste of money as I see it now) but Motoport is the stuff I reach for every time. And I've hit the ground with it too and it hasn't disappointed.
Option it as you want, but don't pass on trying it. You won't be disappointed.
SLOco.moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #1875
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
I'm definately going to buy a mesh suit. That being said, I noticed some people have ridden to Motorport. I know based on the 760 area code they should not be far from me here in Long Beach, so was wondering if I could ride down there and get measured and pay for my suit? I have a bit of an odd body (short legs and arms, long and, well, shall we say round torso) so it may be better if someone else measures me for a one piece. Thanks.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote