Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #1921
indio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by econwatch View Post
Have been riding exclusively with this gear 4 months (mar-jul 2013) on 80/20 mixed surface (~2000miles) and have to say I'm very happy with the results. For comparison I'm 6'2" and ~195lbs (pre-beers).

Motoport Marathon AirMesh Kevlar Jacket, quad armor, 4x zip pockets on body, 2x zip pockets on arms, aerotex liner.
Ultra II Stretch Kevlar pant, quad armor, tri sacrum and hip.

This gear provides an impression of a high degree of safety and quad armor will conform to you nicely after some wearing-in. Typically I've ridden with ripstop shorts and a tshirt underneath. The heat from the front right side of the TigerXC does hit my shins moreso in hot weather or when parked on I-80 so thin long pants or bike/running tights might help. The pants are truly zip and clip on and off, just like Wayne advertises. The jacket liner and sometimes heated vest got me through some early season cold NY/NJ/PA rides, the VT PDR/Bayley-Hazen and here's hoping a chill vest will help with an upcoming BRP/Cherohala ride. Summer gloves fit underneath the stretch kevlar inserts on the wrists and winter gloves with a cuff fit over top. The 303 treatment that Wayne recommends works for slight drizzle on both mesh and stretch although I've worn a shell jacket over top when it rains. Live in NYC so packing the pants, jacket and boots from home to/from the bike parking is some bulk/weight but boots/pants squeeze into one of those recycleable shopping bags with the jacket laying on top.

Overall very pleased that I've finally found an all season mixed surface outfit, now I just have to get organized to sell the collection of extra gear to get back a tiny but valuable amount of closet space.

Pic is kinda washed out so can provide a few gear detail pics if interest is there.
Can you please provide more pics. I want to see a close up of chest pockets. I ordered stretch kevlar marathon jacket but without chest pockets but am re-thinking it now.
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #1922
Pullsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Motoport gloves and jacket

Hi All

Recently got my Air Mesh Jacket and Kevlar gloves sent to me in Australia. I am wrapped in the jacket bar a couple of minor annoyances but am a bit unsure of the gloves.

I have always worn mx gloves which only cover the hand and don't have the flared ends of the Motoport gloves. Can anyone let me know- are you meant to tuck the end of the glove under the jacket sleeve cuff or flare it out over the sleeve cuff? It is a very tight fit either way I try.

Also, does the glove stretch and the seams compact/flatten as the gloves are tight fitting internally yet externally are unwieldy and big and don't allow any feel through them.

Thanks for any help

Pullsy
Pullsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #1923
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 218
Sorry you aren't pleased with the gloves, etc., since you are so far away. I've worn the gloves for several years and really like them. I Tuck the ends under my sleeves and then zipper the sleeves. I hope things start working out.
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #1924
1-3-2-4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Wow...just clicked through all 129 pages and read through an honest 50 of them in my research over the past week. Tons of information...thanks everyone!

However, I'm considering a one piece stretch suit. Barring one or two people on this thread, I haven't found much information. Looking for opinions on fit and function. Also, pictures would be very much appreciated since the ones on their site are less than ideal. Considering a high viz scheme, but still undecided.
1-3-2-4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #1925
indio
Adventurer

Motoport Marathon stretch kevlar jacket and jeans

I got my jacket and jeans delivered today. Tried my jeans not jacket though for few mins form and fit are good. My first impressions are that both jeans and jacket is well made, looks high quality and quad armor will offer high degree of protection.
Will try both together later today and more over the weekend & so will upload photos.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #1926
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3-2-4 View Post
Wow...just clicked through all 129 pages and read through an honest 50 of them in my research over the past week. Tons of information...thanks everyone!

However, I'm considering a one piece stretch suit. Barring one or two people on this thread, I haven't found much information. Looking for opinions on fit and function. Also, pictures would be very much appreciated since the ones on their site are less than ideal. Considering a high viz scheme, but still undecided.
Fit and function are largely based on how closely you follow the instructions and how accurate your measurements are! The suit is made to order, and I've seen some great looking ones. and some frumpy looking ones....
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #1927
1-3-2-4
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
Fit and function are largely based on how closely you follow the instructions and how accurate your measurements are! The suit is made to order, and I've seen some great looking ones. and some frumpy looking ones....
Fair enough. I have an email dialog going with Wayne, and as usual, he's being very helpful. In fact, he might be convincing me to go with the two-piece.

Onto another question...anyone crash test the quad armor? I've read about it being harder to 'fit' and never really conforming. Wondering if this is the case. I don't want to spend an extra few hundred bucks if I'm not going to be comfy.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #1928
indio
Adventurer

Quote:
Fair enough. I have an email dialog going with Wayne, and as usual, he's being very helpful. In fact, he might be convincing me to go with the two-piece.

Onto another question...anyone crash test the quad armor? I've read about it being harder to 'fit' and never really conforming. Wondering if this is the case. I don't want to spend an extra few hundred bucks if I'm not going to be comfy.
Are you sure about 1 piece suit as they can be a bit of a pain. Say if you stop somewhere(lunch, rest stop etc) can't just remove jacket and go about your business.

Also make sure you confirm and re-confirm all the options/extras that you want as well as ones you DO NOT want. I ended up with one option that I did not really want and one less option that I wanted, however in my case that does not take away from the overall quality and fit of the gear.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #1929
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio View Post
Are you sure about 1 piece suit as they can be a bit of a pain. Say if you stop somewhere(lunch, rest stop etc) can't just remove jacket and go about your business.

Also make sure you confirm and re-confirm all the options/extras that you want as well as ones you DO NOT want. I ended up with one option that I did not really want and one less option that I wanted, however in my case that does not take away from the overall quality and fit of the gear.
I currently wear an Olympia 1 piece suit. I can have my entire suit off in <30 seconds. Why walk around in fancy pants if you don't have to?

Is the Motoport one piece not convenient to get in/out of?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #1930
1-3-2-4
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio View Post

I'm not sold either way (though the one piece was my original intent). The only one piece suit I own has a speed hump.

Most times, unless I'm stopping for food, my gear stays on with me. It isn't that it's inconvenient to take it off, I just don't have the need. My wallet and phone are typically in my jacket anyway, so why reconfigure for a 5 minute trip inside the grocery store?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #1931
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Ive got 10k miles plus on my full quad suit, and the shin pads are the only ones that didnt conform in the first few hundred miles. (still havent, as they are not pulled close to my legs as I run them outside my boots) but it does not affect comfort for me at all. I have crash tested my armor a few times at low speed (10-20 mph) and once down a 30' drop onto large boulders and tree branches. worked better than I could have hoped, not a mark except for where there was no armor, only one small one there. I would get the quad again. worth every penny in that fall.

I also have a stretch suit with the tri armor and is smaller but not even close to the same protection. Lets just say I dont do the stupid stuff with the tri armor suit.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #1932
1-3-2-4
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun View Post
Ive got 10k miles plus on my full quad suit, and the shin pads are the only ones that didnt conform in the first few hundred miles. (still havent, as they are not pulled close to my legs as I run them outside my boots) but it does not affect comfort for me at all. I have crash tested my armor a few times at low speed (10-20 mph) and once down a 30' drop onto large boulders and tree branches. worked better than I could have hoped, not a mark except for where there was no armor, only one small one there. I would get the quad again. worth every penny in that fall.

I also have a stretch suit with the tri armor and is smaller but not even close to the same protection. Lets just say I dont do the stupid stuff with the tri armor suit.
Glad to hear...I just put a deposit down to get the order process started. Wayne explained that the early quad armor wasn't nearly as conforming as the latest revision. In his experience, ~2 hours at 75F+ will allow it to take a set for the user. Looking forward to the suit...should arrive just around 8 weeks from now.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #1933
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,575
A question for you guys/gals with the Aero-Tex inner liners or the overpants/jacket.

I have a kevlar mesh Marathon jacket and Ultra 2 pants that I love so much that I think I may replace my Klim Badlands with them. I commute year round so I need something for rain protection on the couple of days it rains here . I want something that will last, so I've decided on the Motoport aerotex, but was never a big fan of jacket/pant liners. On my Rallye 3 jacket, I always used a waterproof jacket over it because it was so rare that I used it. If you guys had to order again, would you still opt for the liner or would you get the over pants and jacket?
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #1934
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Before purchasing my Motoport gear, I wore a pair of Bohn armor tights under Kevlar jeans, and a leather jacket. With that set-up, I used a Triumph Chevron one-piece rainsuit, as the jeans and tights were a moisture magnet, and once wet, stayed that way for the rest of the day. On a warm day, I would sweat inside the suit, so while I was not soaked to the skin as I would have been without the suit, it still wasn't very comfortable.
I purchased the liners with my Motoport gear, but have only had to use them a few times for rain. If I am touring and have to ride in the rain all day, they work fine. For scattered rain, I usually don't bother, just letting the stretch Kevlar shed most of the water, and then the suit dries out pretty well while I am moving. Keep in mind this is summer riding, and not heavy spring or fall soaking rains in cold temperatures. The liners do extend the temperature range for dry cold weather riding by quite a margin for me, but that was not your question.

The upsides:
1- You retain all of the high visibility of your jacket and pants in the rain, when this is even more important due to other drivers having more limited visibility themselves.
2- They are very high quality, and will probably last as long as your jacket and pants.
3- In a pinch, you can just don them without having to hook them into the jacket and pants, and they still work fine.
4- They are custom sized for you.

The downsides:
1- More labor intensive to get them on if you are suddenly caught in a downpour.
2- Anything in your pockets has to be kept in waterproof bags.
3-They don't pack as small as frog toggs or other disposable rainsuits.
4- You have to adjust your Velcro fitting straps on your jacket to not feel cramped up when wearing them.
5- They can be worn by themselves off the bike as regular rain gear, but all of the straps and snaps on the sleeve ends are a pain when worn alone.
6- Once the rain ends, and the weather warms up, you have a wet outer layer to wear without liners.

Would I do it again? Since I use them more often as a windproof liner to extend the temperature range in cooler weather, yes, I would. As strictly rainwear in a warmer climate? Probably not.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #1935
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I really like the liners. Having tried both ways I now use the inner liners here in so cal for the short rain that we get. Really I have yet to have to stop and put in the liners in fear of getting wet under the suit as I've been through 20 min of light rain and the water didn't get through my mesh suit. and while warm I wouldn't mind it so bad anyway. And I wear the liners to keep warm below 60 anyway, and when it is obviously going to rain. I got rid of my klim suit for the Motorsport and am very pleased I did so. I had Wayne add a zip off hood so they could be used off the bike and I really like being able to set up camp without the outer gear still on and not have to worry about getting colt or wet. I use a primaloft rei jacket as a thermal layer and have been down to 25 and was not freezing. Below that I need my heated gear.

Anyway back to the question.
I can wear the mesh down to 60 and the liners are good for, 50 to 80 degrees.
The only downside is you need a little more space to back them with you. But I don't snap in the liners. I cut off the tabs as I think it's more difficult to get on off with them snapped in. It takes about 45 seconds to take gear off put on liners and put gear back on this way. (If you have the over pants)