User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #241
vokoun29
Preds Addict

Oddometer: 105
Thanks for the head's up Jim

They sound like the right size for my big butt. I just jumped into the bidding. You guys have me wanting to try this Motoport stuff.

Thanks.
vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #242
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Pants might fit me???

They just might fit me. Seller contacted.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #243
motorradfahrer
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Okay, so...

I've read most of this thread and am trying to decide which Motoport material to get. How is the ventilation/comfort in hot weather on the stretch Kevlar? I am in Seattle, and I ride pretty much year-round, so it would be nice to have it be warm, but when it does get up to 90-100F here, I'd like to be able to keep wearing it. Would the Riva AX in stretch Kevlar have enough ventilation for traffic in hot weather? While cruising, my heavy black Vanson leather is fine in any weather, really. But in stop and go, it can get oppressive right quick. I will probably get the Motoport in a light color, gray or possibly hi-viz yellow. Definitely not black.

So, mesh or stretch?
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #244
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

My initial impressions

I've had my Air Mesh Kevlar jacket for a "whopping" 180 miles so far.

So far, so good. But it's not much to go on, yet.

As far as temperature, the jacket and a LandsEnd fleece jacket are keeping me toasty during over-40 (F) degree inbound commuting; I could probably go into the high-30's (F) before I start to worry. On the ride home (mid- to high-80s), the jacket is also comfortable - as long as I'm going more than 25 mph. Anything less, and I start to sweat a little bit. When I'm moving, there isn't really any place on my torso that doesn't get enough airflow that I sweat. Weird.

It may be all that Tri-core (whatever) armor blocks some of the wind - but I sure feel safer! And I'll bet that's why it seems warmer during the cold morning commutes.

One note: you'll need either short riding gloves, or quasi-gauntlets. My Held Steve's barely fit over my jacket cuffs (slipped on very easily over my FirstGear textile mesh). The protection on the Cycleport jacket extends from hem to hem!

Short answer: My FirstGear textile mesh jacket was cooler - colder ride in the morning, somewhat cooler ride in the evening. But so far I feel the $ spent on my Cycleport was well spent.

Just my .02, and it's provisional pending another 2+ months of riding.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
Old 09-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #245
ntm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Motoport Stretch Kevlar Street Jeans

I’ve never felt safe wearing denim jeans while riding and even Draggin’ Jeans (Kevlar-lined denim jeans) never seemed to offer sufficient protection. I ordered a pair of Motoport Street Jeans in an attempt to never ride with denim jeans again – and it looks like I may be successful.

These are pricey (~$300) in Kevlar, but are custom fit and are well made. They look very good (like black Levis) and I have no problem wearing them around when I’m off the bike. These are not overpants, so you don’t wear pants underneath them. I got them in black stretch Kevlar – they are also available in Kevlar mesh (flow more air, look less like regular clothing) and in Cordura (not as tough as the Kevlar but light years ahead of denim jeans and cost $100 less than Kevlar if the $300 price is a deal-breaker for you). The pants come standard with shin/knee and thigh armor. You can get a bunch of extras such as reflective material, jacket zipper, etc., but I decided to keep things simple (and better looking). My Aerostich Darien suit is still my primary riding gear and has those types of features.

These are basically Levis made out of a very tough fabric and with armor. They don’t have zippers to open the legs at all. The pockets are just like regular jeans. The pants close with a Velcro fastener – very adjustable, but not very secure – but they have belt loops, so you do need to wear a belt with them to make sure they stay in place if you decide to try a crash test.

The stretch Kevlar material flows more air than regular cotton jeans, but the armor blocks some of this air. I was thinking that they would flow more air than this, but in truth I think they’re probably more versatile as is (I live in New England) – I can leave for an early morning ride when it’s in the mid 50’s and be warm enough with these pants on over underwear. It’s strange, but I agree with Motoport that these pants seem to be cooler than denim jeans when it’s hot out but warmer than denim when it’s cool.

You send in your best fitting pair of jeans when you order these Street Jeans (first you sit on your bike while wearing the jeans and use chalk to mark where your knee caps are when you’re on the bike, so they can place the armor properly). You can specify that you want differences from the supplied jeans (I asked for another ˝ inch in the waist and 2 inches in length, so they’d fit well whilst seated on the bike). They return the jeans unscathed when they deliver your Street Jeans. It can take weeks or months to get your order filled, so it’s good to think of ordering over the winter rather than in the spring.

The Street Jeans have a lightweight taffeta mesh lining that makes it easier to get them on and off and feels better on your skin than the Kevlar material.

The removable armor takes a bit of break-in. It is thin and not compressible (compared to Aerostich) and takes awhile to mold into shape. At first, it wants to flatten out and it balloons the pant legs out. I removed the armor and wrapped the pieces with rubber bands to mold them into a rounded (cylindrical) shape and that greatly improved the look and feel of the Street Jeans. The armor stiffens the legs and makes getting the pants on and off more work than denim jeans, but this seems a reasonable compromise for the protection they offer. This armor also makes it impossible to fold the pants flat, or even hang them over a hanger – I use the type of hanger that pinches the bottom of the legs together when I hang them up.

There is no provision for adding a liner to make the pants warmer or waterproof. I see these as jeans replacements, not as general purpose riding pants. Motoport makes many other types of riding pants that have liners available.

I’ve only had these pants for a few months, so I can’t really comment on their long term reliability. And I haven’t crash tested them, so I have no comment on that aspect.

I did have a problem with the jeans as delivered – there was extra lining material in one of the legs that made them more difficult to put on. I called the owner, he apologized and got them fixed quickly (and perfectly) for me. I did pay the return shipping to Motoport (I didn’t push for them to pay). With that problem fixed, these pants fit great and I think they look really good. I’ve twice had other riders stop me and ask who made the pants and where I got them.

This is a link to the Motoport web site: http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=830.102.509&Merchant_ID=G7Y9CEYc. If you browse around, you’ll see that they make all sorts of different pants and jackets with many options for fabric and features. The site is sort of funky, and I think it always has been. They also run these endless “sales” that seem kind of cheesy, since they appear to be perpetual. The street jeans do not have the Motoport logo on them that’s shown on their Web site photo. The pictures on the site are kind of low res – if you email them they’ll send you some higher res photos. Also, they'll happily send you samples of their stretch Kevlar, mesh Kevlar and Cordura fabrics in different colors if you ask.

My experience was a mixed bag – a problem with the jeans that I think they should have caught, but it was quickly and expertly handled. I’m now a satisfied Motoport customer and I’m planning to order a mesh Kevlar jacket from them to complete my hot weather riding gear.

If you are at all interested in Motoport products, call them (CA time) and ask to talk to Wayne Boyer. He’s the owner and is very hands-on (takes orders, answers emails, etc.).

Nick

ntm screwed with this post 09-03-2006 at 05:29 PM Reason: revision
ntm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #246
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradfahrer
I've read most of this thread and am trying to decide which Motoport material to get. How is the ventilation/comfort in hot weather on the stretch Kevlar? I am in Seattle, and I ride pretty much year-round, so it would be nice to have it be warm, but when it does get up to 90-100F here, I'd like to be able to keep wearing it. Would the Riva AX in stretch Kevlar have enough ventilation for traffic in hot weather? While cruising, my heavy black Vanson leather is fine in any weather, really. But in stop and go, it can get oppressive right quick. I will probably get the Motoport in a light color, gray or possibly hi-viz yellow. Definitely not black.

So, mesh or stretch?
I have the black stretch Kevlar and have been fine in 110 temp if I am moving more than about 20 mph with a wet cotton shirt underneath. It doesn't feel like it is letting a lot of air through, but it definitely is because with the wet shirt I an almost get too cool from evaporation even at 90+ temperature. When stopped I get hot. I have not tried their mesh gear to compare how it is stopped in hot weather. I would guess it would allow good cooling at lower speeds than the stretch Kevlar (like for off road use) but still be hot when stopped.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #247
mattiesettlement
Wade

Oddometer: 15
Cool2

I've been looking and thinking about these Kevlar suits for about two years. After reading through this thread a number of times I decided to bite the bullet and take the plunge. So yesterday I called Motorport and ordered an Ultra II Jacket and pant combo with the waterproof liners and a pair of kevlar jeans. Quoted wait time - 11 - 12 weeks. I also ordered the hip pads for both pants. Color - right now all black however that might change - maybe the jacket in Hi-viz yellow or lime or whatever they call it. Does this color really make that much of a difference for safety?
mattiesettlement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #248
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

[quote=maybe the jacket in Hi-viz yellow or lime or whatever they call it. Does this color really make that much of a difference for safety?[/quote]

Ooooohhhh, yeah. Just having the pockets and inside sleeve insert in Day Glow Yellow is bright. Even more so because it completely clashes with my red bike and helmet. I can post a pic or 2...if I can figure out how...
Old 09-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #249
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Pic of "hi-viz" Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar

FWIW - I've used it for about 300 miles now. Still like it, still plan on getting pants. The armor is starting to fit me better. Don't know what else to say - I like the jacket, I feel much more protected than in my FirstGear mesh, and the only way to tell if it is better or worse than the opinions/experiences posted here and in other threads is to do a field test...

Which is not something I'm eager to perform.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #250
Repko
Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer: 538
Ultimate pants & boots

I, after looking @ all else ordered a pair of the Ultra Kevlar II pants. $299 Can't wait to see them! I was told about 11 weeks. Should be here Nov 29th.

Ended up buying the Kevlar mesh jacket too, match the pants, attach with zipper. What a fantastic suit in hot weather. Zip in the jacket liner & warm all winter too.

Repko screwed with this post 08-26-2007 at 12:18 AM
Repko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #251
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
OK, I never got back with a mini-review after getting my set, but I now have about 3000 miles on them in 90+F to about 40F this weekend.

I bought the kevlar mesh jacket, pants and all the liners; the proverbial full boat for my wife and I. Gear took about 6 weeks longer than promised but fit great when it did arrive. Only complaint about the gear itself is that the zipper in my jacket takes some fiddling to get it to "start." I plan on having this fixed when I ride out west one of these days.

This "review" is a bit random and I'll try and cover areas that have not been as well covered by other posters.

I've been very pleased with the motoport stuff. It is big, bulky and makes you look like an overweight robocop, but functionally it is great. After about 3 days in the gear, it really begins to "break in" and while it is heavy and bulky with all the liners, it "rides" much lighter than it feels when you pick up the set. Perhaps its the custom fit, but the jacket and pants just feel "right" when on the bike.

CRASHING:
My wife took three minor falls in her set, all at lowish speeds (around 15-20mph):

1) Hit a mail box as a guy was walking away with his mail. Mailbox 0, Wife 1. Almost crapped myself when I saw it in the rearview and she took the box right out of the ground, but she was laughing and not a scratch on her.

2) Lowsided when she hit deep sand pooled around a storm drain at a gas station 2 days later. Pride took the brunt of the damage. Again no bruises or scrapes to her. Bike horn was bent off its mounting. Was that ding in the gas tank there before honey?

3) Tumble on a gravel road to a campsite 2 more days later. Ripped the reflextive fabric on her jacket but the kevlar stuff looked like new once the dirt was brushed out. Again she was unharmed and finally got all the falling out of her system.

RAIN:

I've worn my set in pouring rain and stayed dry except where rain comes in around your wrists. Waterproof gloves worn inside the liner might help here? I also got a bit wet around the middle after riding through 3 hours of pouring rain, but this should be avoidable be tucking pant liners into jacket liners and I did not have this problem on subsequent riding days.

LINERS/WARMTH:

I was out this weekend in my set where temps went from about 75 to about 40. I started with the waterproof liner in both jacket and pants with a T-shirt underneath and was fine until I hit a cold front rain, and the temp dropped about 30 degrees. I pulled over and added a long sleeve top and the insulated liner, which I wore for the rest of the weekend and was quite warm in the "core." Hands and face got cold but the jacket was fine. With better gloves and/or a baclava or something, I would imagine the jacket would be good with all liners and a polypro long sleeve shirt down to about 38F. I do have a bit of "natural insulation" so you skinny guys might feel differently.

Much has been made of the ease of manipulating the liners. I can get the waterproof liner into the jacket in about 2 mins with the jacket off. Pants are a little more difficult, but I generally know in the morning if it is cold enough/potential rain and add pants then. I would say to go from unlined jacket/pants to waterproof liners it would take about 7 minutes to remove gear, add liners and "regear." The liners are very well made, and have velcro panels that overlap all the zippers, keeping things very dry. The kevlar mesh doesn't hold much water, and drys fairly quickly. Everything has a nice nylon mesh lining and does not feel clamy, although I remove the waterproof liners in anything over about 75F.

I was on the fence with the insulated liner, but I think I like it. It installs in about 30 seconds, and I just put it on, then put the jacket on over it and all the velcro falls into place. You then zip two side zippers and you're set. It packs a little big but I think a stuff sack would help, and it can be worn under a waterproof shell in camp for added warmth (but minimal style). Benefit to the liners is that any minor falls would likely damage external rain gear. Only drawback is of course installation time.

Light rains will "bead off" and your primarly pockets stay dry inside. In heavier rains, anything in the external pockets will get wet.

MISC

Much ado has been made of the cuffs, and I've never met a cuff I thought was perfect, and this one seems functional, so I can't really complain. Other than the sticky zipper, which I know how to work around, I am 100% satisfied. After seeing how little damage the gear and my wife took in her admitedly minor scrapes, I am fairly impressed this stuff will work in a more dire circumstance.
Slappy McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #252
chaserkeywest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Hey how about some reporting on likes/dislikes of the Kevlar Mesh Pants.

I'm still on the fence, happy with the Mesh Jacket but wondering about weither the Mesh pants are going to be too stiff and chaff my behind/knees etc while wearing only a leopard print thong?
chaserkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #253
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserkeywest

I'm still on the fence, happy with the Mesh Jacket but wondering about weither the Mesh pants are going to be too stiff and chaff my behind/knees etc while wearing only a leopard print thong?
Ya know, I was doing OK until that last part...

I received my Mesh pants 48 hours too late to have used them in a ...er...practical demonstration. Wore them to the shop, though, and they felt very comfortable for the 5 miles or so I rode with them on.

I've owned a Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket for a few months (and a few thousand miles) now. It is comfortable in an incredibly wide range of temps - from the high 30s (in the winter mornings) to the high 90s and beyond - sometimes in the same day... I use a fleece liner to keep me warm in the cold, but I've been comfortable through the full range of temps I experience. I didn't get their liners.

I ride (rode?) an '06 Suzuki DL650 VStrom. I was recently in a low-speed collision, which resulted in my bike and I sliding down the highway slab together for a few feet. The damage to my non-Motoport boots, gloves and pants will require replacing them. My Motoport jacket prevented *any* road rash; I feel that I was lucky to have escaped with only bruised ribs. The jacket received some cosmetic damage, but Wayne said that it doesn't even require repair.

The gear feels like it's the "real deal" and my limited practical experience with it indicates that it works as well as advertised. Though I really don't want to test it any further...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #254
ON_the_DL
My safety's Harvard

Oddometer: 204
Quote:

Don't worry about the pants being too stiff or rough. The inside is lined with the same comfort mesh as the jacket. Your legs or whatever ;) never come in contact with the rough kevlar. They are a bit stiff, just like the jacket. This is not noticed when riding, by me at least. Sometimes when walking a lot or haning at the coffee house you realize this but it is not really unformfortable. I have worn my to dinner, to the movies and such. fwiw.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #255
chaserkeywest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON_the_DL
Quote:

Don't worry about the pants being too stiff or rough. The inside is lined with the same comfort mesh as the jacket. Your legs or whatever ;) never come in contact with the rough kevlar. They are a bit stiff, just like the jacket. This is not noticed when riding, by me at least. Sometimes when walking a lot or haning at the coffee house you realize this but it is not really unformfortable. I have worn my to dinner, to the movies and such. fwiw.
Ok good I was wondering about the inside liner, did you get the hip pads?
chaserkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote