User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #16
Puffy 650
Silly Azz MoFo

Oddometer: 88
Thumb Great Writeup

Thanks for the great write up and photos. Motoport sure seems like great company that produces great protective clothing. It's too bad other manufacturers don't make similar quality protection gear. It also makes sense to have protection clothing made custom for you. If you take 20 guys who normally wear a size 44 jacket and put them in the same jacket, the fit and pad placement will be a bit different with each person. Motoport is getting my business.

People come up to me and say, "Puffy, do people really come up to you?"

Share pictures of your rides. You can save $5.00 with this www.smugmug.com coupon code. (sC2oEnyn7dF2g)
Puffy 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Thanks.
I too an sitin on the fence. My fence is a fair way away though. Might get the pants made up first and see how we go.

Thanks again.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,770
Can I add my .02 about Motoport gear? Good, thank you. It rocks.

I have had a Motoport Ultra II Cordura set of riding gear for going on 10 years and probably close to 100k miles now. It is not the stretch Kevlar, but they did not have that back in the day when I bought mine.

Now, I am 6'-0 and knocking on the door of 400 pounds of Italian love monkee. Finding gear that fits, let alone fits well is, well, impossible. Except at the big and tall store and MotoPort.

I have ridden in everything from constant mid 30's and rain/sleet/snow, to 115 degrees going through Stockton CA returning from the WSB at Laguna Seca. The gear just simply works. Even in 100 degrees plus wether, you get a layer of sweat going and the air flow keeps you more comfortable than if you were in just a t-shirt. Throw a set of Gerbing heated clothing on underneath and your only worry is ice on the road.

Quality is top notch. I have never gone down in mine, but a friend has hit the ground twice in the last 2 years in his Cordura with no damage to the suit. His is the from the same era as mine. Kevlar should even be better for you.

From 12640'...

To the summer desert heat (that's my dad in his MotoPorts helping get my Tiger out of a hole)...

The stuff just works, and holds up for many many miles.

My .02

Not affiliated with them in any way, just a VERY happy customer.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #19
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,542
Looking good! (was gonna call you a big stoopid dope, but I decided the suit was too pretty to dis~) Don't turn into a fat fuque now- or you'll have to pass it down to yer "little" brother~ it would look good against "Sun" yeller!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:32 AM   #20
jjohnson24
Any excuse to ride

Oddometer: 50
Thumb

I have worn an Ultra II Cordura for seven years and ridden with it from 28Deg to 125 deg F, through snow and heavy downpours and zero humidity. I wear the pants on trips with just skivvies underneath. The comfort beats any other combo I have tried. The liners ( I never zip them in, I just put them on first and pull the suit over them) keep me dry in heavy rain ( never had a wet crotch) and beat a rain suit. First rate gear!
We're gonna go where people pretend to want to go when they can't afford to go someplace good. Were gonna see America. We take no map.We follow the sun. Stay in cheap motels and steal what we need along the way. We go west, past the cheese factories, where the air is fresh, the sky is big, and a man can still kill his dinner with his bike. Guys, tomorrow we put the pedal to the metal and we ride with the wind!
jjohnson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #21
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
I have an Ultra II Cordura 1000 I scored off ebay and it's very high quality - I feel very protected when I ride in it. However it's getting too hot to wear it down here now that the humid Texas summer is coming. I finally got off the fence yesterday and called Wayne and ordered an Ultra II Kevlar Air Mesh Jacket and Pants. Delivery is 8 weeks away but I don't even know what color combo I want yet. He'll put your name in the que with a deposit and then you can call him back with your final decision later. I was out looking at mesh gear but nothing offered the protection level of the Motoport gear. I'm sure the air mesh Kevlar will be a little warmer than a JR mesh jacket but I'm willing to trade that for the extra benefits.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:49 AM   #22
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Nice to see this thread calling out some long-term satisfied owners; now where were you guys when I was trying to gather information about these things?

just kidding... I guess both the stretch kevlar and the mesh haven't been around that long to have alot of them out there. But one reason I decided to write this is that until recently was completely unaware of this stuff. If we hadn't been shopping for pants for my hard-to-fit wife at the MOA rally a few years ago and bumped into another petite woman wearing some unusual but good-fitting pants and asked her what they were, I might still be unaware of it. They make a great product, but they need to hire someone to beef up their marketing or something - I think Wayne does it all, but must be overextended judging by the dated, incomplete feel of their website and catalogs that I've seen. If I had been able to get the information I wanted, easily, I would have bought their gear much earlier, and I would've bought the more appropriate stretch kevlar and not the mesh pants for my wife - but the mesh was all we'd ever seen up to then.

Now that I see how well this stuff works, I think it is an ideal alternative for many folks who might otherwise go with Aerostitch, but for whom full-time Goretex might not be the best compromise if you can only afford one good all-purpose suit in your closet. And by all acounts the protection may be quite superior as well.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #23
Ken Ackerson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I've had an Ultra II cordura for 5 years and about 80,000 miles. I took off from Florida last July in 100 degrees and high humidity and rode out to Roosville, MT where we rode the Continental Divide Ride down to Mexico. During the trip I was comfortable in temps from the mid 20s to over 100.

I high sided a TDM 850 2 1/2 years ago at 75 mph. After a 50 ft flight like Superman, I planted into the ground on my left shoulder and broke it along with cracking some ribs and popping my sternum. The ER doctor said that if I hadn't had on the suit, I wouldn't be alive. The jacket didn't have a mark on it and the imbedded dirt came off in the washing machine.

It is a little bilky at first but then it conforms. I wear coolmax bicycle shorts underneath the pants or polypropelene long underwear if it's under 40 degrees. Coolmax shirts too. I love the suit and was much more comfortable on the CD ride last year than my buddies in their stitches.

I will be wearing it when I ride down to Copper Canyon later this year.

Ken
Ken Ackerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #24
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,983
That is exactly the write up i have been waiting for! Thanks for taking the time to do it
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #25
Gringo OP
simple by nature

some late additions...

last weekend when I was taking the pics for this post, I couldn't find the fabric samples; yesterday I found 'em, all but the screaming-yellow, which should be hard NOT to find... thought some might find these interesting, particularly those of the mesh...

the color assortment for both kevlar fabrics (bright yellow stretch is missing, but that's the 'yellow' mesh sample).

same photo, but the stretch kevlar patches are flipped over so you can see the back - kinda terrycloth-like; it's thick stuff. Mesh is same both sides.

close-up of the mesh colors

red mesh showing how much light passes through

As you can see, the mesh is quite good for ventilation; the stretch is more like a thick denim or thicker, and no light passes through it.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Old 05-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #26
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Does it have chest armor???

Old 05-23-2005, 06:59 AM   #27
Gringo OP
simple by nature

think this might have changed how you're feeling this morning? (black layer in middle is semi-rigid foam, outer layers are softer)

I see Meathead trumped your biff - but it doesn't look like he rode his home.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:03 AM   #28
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Does it cover your sternum??? Mine looks like I had a Rolling Stones tattoo placed squarly in the middle of my chest~ Yeah- it couldn't have hurt to have some padding there. It made a diff for my shoulder and elbow~

Meat is a very very lucky guy- I'm officially blaming Mushman. It's all his fault. How he's able to take us out from behind remains a mystery--- but he's always lingering around crash sites... you do the math!

Old 05-23-2005, 07:20 AM   #29
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba The Biff
Does it cover your sternum??? Mine looks like I had a Rolling Stones tattoo placed squarly in the middle of my chest~ Yeah- it couldn't have hurt to have some padding there. It made a diff for my shoulder and elbow~

Meat is a very very lucky guy- I'm officially blaming Mushman. It's all his fault. How he's able to take us out from behind remains a mystery--- but he's always lingering around crash sites... you do the math!

slight hijack--

Hey, have you had a look at the Icon armor jacket? It has a bit of sternum protection. I'm considering buying one. Since you've got the big bruise there, I was wondering if you thought it would've helped.

linky

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #30
Gringo OP
simple by nature

[QUOTE=Jabba The Biff]Does it cover your sternum??? Mine looks like I had a Rolling Stones tattoo placed squarly in the middle of my chest~ Yeah- it couldn't have hurt to have some padding there. It made a diff for my shoulder and elbow~
QUOTE]

This is the right chest pad - picture pulling that up and putting it over the right side of your chest, wrapped around to the side a bit so the cutout goes under your arm. So the center of the chest is still open wide enough to run a zipper up through there, and all the required seams to hold it. If you want full sternum protection, maybe you need some motocross armor - but lotsa luck finding it in Xtra-Jabba size...